Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Minnesota Lynx

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Minnesota Lynx Page: <<   < prev  144 145 [146] 147 148   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/30/2019 9:05:59 AM   
Karl Juhnke

I went to the Lynx game last night. Which I rarely do in person. But I was entertained by the first game so thought they deserved a closer, in person look.

I really like this team. I think they have a chance to be better this year than last even with the high turnover. They are a nice mix of young and old, big/physical and small/quick.

Fowles is still a rock in the middle. She'll get her 15 and 10 nightly. The guard play of Robinson/Sims/Brown looks to be really fun. They are energizer bunnies with no off switch. And Collier is the real deal. She does not look like a rookie at all...except for a couple of stupid ticky tack fouls which limited her minutes.

It was a more sloppy game than the first one. It will take them a while to figure out how to play together and really click. But the pieces are there.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 5/30/2019 9:19:50 AM >
Post #: 3626
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/30/2019 9:19:42 AM   
TJSweens

I don't expect a whole lot this year. Last year they barely made the playoffs with Maya Moore. I don't expect them to make the playoffs without her this year. Hopefully Collier, Sheppard, Brown and next year's draft pick provide a good young nucleus to go with Big Syl and a returning Maya Moore next season.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 3627
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/30/2019 10:24:03 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I don't expect a whole lot this year. Last year they barely made the playoffs with Maya Moore. I don't expect them to make the playoffs without her this year. Hopefully Collier, Sheppard, Brown and next year's draft pick provide a good young nucleus to go with Big Syl and a returning Maya Moore next season.

I don't think that's a given. She's an "old" 30 that has nothing left to prove in basketball and she seems really committed to her ministry. I could see her being totally at peace walking away.
Post #: 3628
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/30/2019 10:45:15 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

I don't think that's a given. She's an "old" 30 that has nothing left to prove in basketball and she seems really committed to her ministry. I could see her being totally at peace walking away.

I could see that. I could also see it as a case where she just decided that she needed a break from it all. She also has a lot of close friendships in the league. I agree that it isn't sure thing, but I would be a little surprised if she has walked away from it for good.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 3629
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/30/2019 11:01:49 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

Lynx win 72 - 61. 9 points was it for Collier. Dantas, Sims, Sheppard and Brown were all in double figures.

A different looking squad this year
But damn solid so far

Keep in mind that Seattle was playing without Sue Bird and league MVP Breanna Stewart. What is definitely showing to this point is that the Lynx have a lot more team speed this year. They play a lot of pressure defense on the perimeter and push the pace. Defense will be their calling card more than ever. They held Seattle to 36% and 13% from 3 point range.

One bummer is that Simone Augustus just had a knee procedure at the Mayo Clinic is will be out for a while.

The Warriors are playing without Durant, The Lynx are playing without Augustus, Brunson and Moore. You play the cards you are dealt.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3630
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/30/2019 11:08:41 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

Lynx win 72 - 61. 9 points was it for Collier. Dantas, Sims, Sheppard and Brown were all in double figures.

But damn solid so far

Keep in mind that Seattle was playing without Sue Bird and league MVP Breanna Stewart. What is definitely showing to this point is that the Lynx have a lot more team speed this year. They play a lot of pressure defense on the perimeter and push the pace. Defense will be their calling card more than ever. They held Seattle to 36% and 13% from 3 point range.

One bummer is that Simone Augustus just had a knee procedure at the Mayo Clinic is will be out for a while.

The Warriors are playing without Durant, The Lynx are playing without Augustus, Brunson and Moore. You play the cards you are dealt.

Over the course of a season, yes. I'm just pointing out not to get too excited by a win over the defending champs, given the circumstances. The team is 2 - 0, but they haven't really been tested.

Post #: 3631
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/30/2019 11:29:21 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

But damn solid so far

Over the course of a season, yes. I'm just pointing out not to get too excited by a win over the defending champs, given the circumstances. The team is 2 - 0, but they haven't really been tested.

I think we may be a better team w/o Augustus and Brunson. I think we will miss Maya at times this year but they seem to have really restocked the roster quick with the 3 draft picks and trades.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 3632
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/30/2019 11:46:51 AM   
TJSweens

Brunson and Augustus provide greater intangibles than tangibles at this point. They are both great leaders and mentors for young players. Simone can definitely still contribute in limited minutes. I feel bad for Brunson. The post concussion syndrome may spell the end for her. She is a player who deserves to go out on her own terms.

That said, Reeve had a hell of an off season. She got a great start on rebuilding the roster. I don't expect Collier to hit on 80% of her threes all year, but if she can sustain better than 35%, she turns into a great value at #6 overall. That was the great weakness to her game in college and why she fell out of the top 3. Shepard was a great value pick in the 2nd round and Brown provides speed and 3 point shooting. Sims was the big energy, up tempo, in your face player the lineup needed. It should be interesting. I don't expect playoffs, but they may be surprisingly good.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 5/30/2019 11:48:45 AM >

Post #: 3633
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/30/2019 11:58:32 AM   
David Levine

quote:

Brunson and Augustus provide greater intangibles than tangibles at this point. They are both great leaders and mentors for young players. Simone can definitely still contribute in limited minutes. I feel bad for Brunson. The post concussion syndrome may spell the end for her. She is a player who deserves to go out on her own terms.

That said, Reeve had a hell of an off season. She got a great start on rebuilding the roster. I don't expect Collier to hit on 80% of her threes all year, but if she can sustain better than 35%, she turns into a great value at #6 overall. That was the great weakness to her game in college and why she fell out of the top 3. Shepard was a great value pick in the 2nd round and Brown provides speed and 3 point shooting. Sims was the big energy, up tempo, in your face player the lineup needed. It should be interesting. I don't expect playoffs, but they may be surprisingly good.

Our big issue might be 3pt shooting. Robinson and Sims are both dreadful outside shooters for their careers. We really need legit threats beyond the arc to provide the gravity to allow Syl to work down low.

(I'd also be a bit concerned about their turnovers, but I'm chalking that up to unfamiliarity at this point, as neither has historically been this careless with the ball)
Post #: 3634
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/30/2019 12:05:15 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Our big issue might be 3pt shooting. Robinson and Sims are both dreadful outside shooters for their careers. We really need legit threats beyond the arc to provide the gravity to allow Syl to work down low.

(I'd also be a bit concerned about their turnovers, but I'm chalking that up to unfamiliarity at this point, as neither has historically been this careless with the ball)

I agree on both points and I also expect turn overs to improve as the young players become more experienced and the team as a whole becomes familiar with each other and the system.

The 3 point shooting will be the greater challenge. I at least get a sense that Reeve knows it's an issue and is taking steps to address it. The trade for Brown was part of it. Having Collier focus on it with the shooting coach is another. We'll see how they develop and what moves are made in the next draft.

Post #: 3635
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/30/2019 1:58:16 PM   
twinsfan

Brunson got old in a hurry.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 3636
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/30/2019 4:45:24 PM   
David Levine

I hope she's able to get into at least one game this year for a proper sendoff.

Augustus out indefinitely after knee surgery
11:57 AM PT
Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota Lynx guard Seimone Augustus will be out indefinitely following arthroscopic knee surgery.

The Lynx announced Augustus had the procedure Thursday at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. Augustus, 35, is the franchise leader in games played, points scored and field goals made after being selected with the first pick in the 2006 draft.

The eight-time All-Star has been held out of the first two games for a new-look Lynx team following the retirement of guard Lindsay Whalen and a leave of absence for forward Maya Moore .

Another mainstay of the team's four WNBA titles from 2011 to '17, forward Rebekkah Brunson, has been sidelined by a concussion from late last season and is not currently on the roster.
Post #: 3637
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/1/2019 9:09:50 PM   
David Levine

The rookies looked like rookies today, but the bigs were enough to keep us the only unbeaten team in the league.
Post #: 3638
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/2/2019 4:32:24 AM   
kgdabom

3 games into the season. One unbeaten team in the WNBA. Your Minnesota Lynx. The core four of the dynasty hasn't played one second.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3639
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/2/2019 11:50:15 AM   
David Levine

Brian Agler knows how to disrupt a Reeve offense better than anyone.

The Wings don't have much talent, but their relentless 2nd half pressure absolutely gave us fits. Its the exact same thing he would do against us when he coached the Sparks. It turned a rout into a nail biter.
Post #: 3640
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/5/2019 9:28:53 AM   
TJSweens

The Storm win the rematch with the Lynx, despite still being without its 2 best players. Seattle tried very hard to give it away with 20 turn overs, but the Lynx just wouldn't take it. We got crushed on the boards and allowed the Storm to shoot 59%.

Post #: 3641
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/10/2019 6:30:19 AM   
TJSweens

Jessica Shepherd tore her ACL in the loss to the Sparx. Out for the season.

Post #: 3642
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/10/2019 11:32:42 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Jessica Shepherd tore her ACL in the loss to the Sparx. Out for the season.

Talk about adding injury to insult. Huge loss.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3643
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/13/2019 10:41:48 AM   
David Levine

Lynx are really struggling now and our lack of shooting is killing us.

We don't have a single player in the starting unit that can create their own shot when things break down.
Post #: 3644
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/13/2019 11:13:41 AM   
twinsfan

Who is the greatest Lynx player of all-time?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 3645
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/13/2019 11:39:03 AM   
TJSweens

IMO that would be Fowles or Moore. The sentimental choice is Lindsey. She kind of had that straw that stirs the drink aspect to her. I think it was pretty telling that Maya Moore narrated her tribute video.

Post #: 3646
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/13/2019 11:57:50 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

IMO that would be Fowles or Moore. The sentimental choice is Lindsey. She kind of had that straw that stirs the drink aspect to her. I think it was pretty telling that Maya Moore narrated her tribute video.

Interesting take.

I've gotta go with Katie Smith as my choice for #1.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 3647
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/13/2019 12:00:21 PM   
twinsfan

Seimone Augustus certainly has an argument. Actually maybe I'd rank her ahead of Smith. Close call. Lindsey barely makes my Top 10, to be honest with you.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 3648
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/13/2019 12:07:32 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Seimone Augustus certainly has an argument. Actually maybe I'd rank her ahead of Smith. Close call. Lindsey barely makes my Top 10, to be honest with you.

A soon to be WNBA Hall of Famer barely cracks your top 10. Interesting take.

Post #: 3649
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 6/13/2019 12:10:56 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

A soon to be WNBA Hall of Famer barely cracks your top 10. Interesting take.

Her peak years were played elsewhere.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 3650
Page:   <<   < prev  144 145 [146] 147 148   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Minnesota Lynx Page: <<   < prev  144 145 [146] 147 148   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode