Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Minnesota Lynx

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Minnesota Lynx Page: <<   < prev  147 148 [149] 150 151   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 2/25/2020 8:25:20 PM   
Mr. Ed

Banham traded to Lynx. Cool.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 3701
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 2/25/2020 8:28:22 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Its a cool story, but I worry that she's damaged goods.

Hasn't really been good since before the injuries.
Post #: 3702
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 2/26/2020 8:07:20 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Its a cool story, but I worry that she's damaged goods.

Hasn't really been good since before the injuries.

Her shooting stroke has been pretty inconsistent at the WNBA level. She shot the 3 at a much higher percentage in college than she has shot from 2pt range in the WNBA. If she can regain her stroke and contribute some consistent offense off the bench, that would more than offset the loss of Augustus.

The Minnesota sports rube in me is sure pulling for her. At a time when Minnesota recruits wanted to play anywhere but Minnesota, Banham wouldn't even consider playing for anyone, but the Gophers. Sounds like, once Reeve called her, Banham wasn't interested playing for anyone, but the Lynx.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 3703
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 2/26/2020 8:08:28 AM   
twinsfan

Welcome home Rachel Banham! This could be epic.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 3704
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 2/26/2020 10:08:54 AM   
David Levine

I loved her as a Gopher and wanted the Lynx to figure out a way to get her in her draft, but she’s pretty much been a bust so far and I’m worried it’ll just be kind of sad watching her play.

But I hope I’m wrong and being back home will revitalize her.
Post #: 3705
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/17/2020 8:21:41 AM   
Phil Riewer

https://www.skornorth.com/2020/04/11-draft-targets-for-the-minnesota-lynx/
https://www.canishoopus.com/2020/4/16/21221006/lynx-update-draft-week-wnba-minnesota-lynx-reeve

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/17/2020 8:34:47 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 3706
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/17/2020 8:50:31 AM   
TJSweens

The Lynx have the 6th and 16th picks tonight as they did last year. The draft is a lot more predictable this year. Pretty much every mock in existence has a top 4 of
Sabrina Ionescu, PG, Oregon
Satou Sabally, SF, Oregon
Lauren Cox, PF, Baylor
Chennedy Carter, SG, Texas A&M

Dallas at #5 looks like the first place where the mocks diverge. The split is between Tyasha Harris, PG, South Carolina & Megan Walker, SF, UConn. If Dallas takes Harris, my prediction is that Cheryl Reeve will pounce on Megan Walker. She is 6'1 and can flex to guard. She shot over 45% from 3 pt land and averaged 9 rebounds.

If Dallas takes Walker, I'm not as sure about Reeve taking Harris even though she is a PG, who is supposed to be a scoring machine and carried South Carolina to a big surge. She is a volume shooter and not the best defender, which are two things that don't mesh with Reeve's system.

The only thing I am sure of is that Reeve will draft talent over need every time. Her system is not dependent on a true PG bringing the ball up the floor. She likes versatile players that can shoot and defend. Seems to like that 6 ft to 6'1 range and interchangeable.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 3707
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/17/2020 10:18:06 AM   
TJSweens

Here is my dark horse pick for #6 / Bella Alarie, F, Princeton. Because she is 6'4, can shoot the 3, block shots and is white, she draws a lot of comparisons to Elena Delle Donne. She is very skilled and will be a second generation pro basketball player. The big question about her is the level of competition she faced at Princeton. Some think an NCAA run would have put her much higher. I have seen at least one mock that has the Lynx taking her.

Post #: 3708
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/17/2020 3:02:20 PM   
twinsfan

How can you be posting about sports at a time like this?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 3709
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/17/2020 3:05:28 PM   
TJSweens

I figured you wouldn't show up here.

Post #: 3710
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/17/2020 9:33:44 PM   
Mr. Ed

Mikiah Herbert Harrigan
College/Country: South Carolina
Position: Forward
Height: 6'2
Birthdate: August 21, 1998

In 4 seasons, helped So. Car. to 2017 NCAA Nat’l Championship, 2018 Elite Eight, 2019 Sweet 16, as well as 2 SEC reg-seas. titles (2017, ‘20) and 3 SEC Trnmnt crowns (2017, ‘18, ’20). In her career, Gamecocks never finished lower than 16th nationally and ranked in the top 10 three times. Joined Alaina Coates, A’ja Wilson as only Gamecocks to amass 1,000 pts and 200 blocks in career. All-SEC pick as senior when she posted career highs in ppg, rpg, and FG%. In SC career rankings is No. 2 in tot. blocks. 2019-20: SC’s top scorer capped career with SEC Tournament MVP honors and All-SEC Second Team recognition.

2019-20 stats: 13.1 points, 5.6 rebounds, 1.8 blocks -- 50.6 / 43.5 / 83.5
The South Carolina senior burst onto the scene this season after taking on a much bigger role. A fierce competitor, her activity and effort on the defensive end has never been in question, but she's a bit undersized as a post player. She will need to show her improved 3-point shooting from this season is real. Grade: B

Escape while you can!
Post #: 3711
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/17/2020 9:35:52 PM   
Mr. Ed

16. Minnesota Lynx: Crystal Dangerfield -- UConn -- 5-5, Guard

26. Minnesota Lynx (via trade with New York Liberty): Erica Ogwumike -- Rice -- 5-9, Guard

Dallas took your darkhorse pick at #5

Escape while you can!
Post #: 3712
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/18/2020 7:39:47 AM   
Bruce Johnson

What did you think of the broadcast with the social distancing and remote cameras? I was thinking that it is a foreshadowing of what we will see with the NFL draft. I guess I have to say for myself that I found it lacking of the usual pizzazz and it felt kind of sad that we have to be this way.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3713
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/18/2020 7:58:35 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

16. Minnesota Lynx: Crystal Dangerfield -- UConn -- 5-5, Guard

26. Minnesota Lynx (via trade with New York Liberty): Erica Ogwumike -- Rice -- 5-9, Guard

Dallas took your darkhorse pick at #5

It sounds like Alerie was the pick until Dallas sniped her. The actual pick was pretty surprising.

Post #: 3714
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/19/2020 1:06:53 PM   
David Levine

ESPN grade:

Minnesota Lynx: A-plus

Picks: 6. Mikiah Herbert Harrigan, South Carolina, F; 16. Crystal Dangerfield, UConn, G; 26. Erika Ogwumike, Rice, G

The Lynx got exactly what they were looking for, starting with an energetic young forward in Herbert Harrigan. She steadily moved up the draft board this season, and her MVP performance in the SEC tournament was just more fuel for her rise.

The Lynx also wanted to get a point guard and considered Harrigan's teammate Tyasha Harris. But they felt they could wait for the next-best point guard on their board to come up, and Dangerfield was still there for them to take in the second round. She'll join former UConn teammate Napheesa Collier, who was the WNBA Rookie of the Year last season. Both Harrigan and Dangerfield bring strong defensive credentials with them too.

The Lynx made one more draft-related move, trading forward Stephanie Talbot to New York for Ogwumike, the Liberty's third-round pick. It can be a challenge for third-rounders to make WNBA rosters. But heading into the draft, Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve spoke highly of Ogwumike's scoring ability and, of course, her family history in the league, with older sisters Nneka and Chiney both being No. 1 picks, in 2012 and 2014, respectively. Both are with the Sparks now.
Post #: 3715
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/22/2020 11:56:11 AM   
TJSweens

Fivethirtyeight's assessment of how Lynx draftees could help them:

Minnesota Lynx: avoiding turnovers
No pregame or postgame was complete without Cheryl Reeve’s expressing frustration over turnovers, and no wonder, with Minnesota finishing last in the league in turnover percentage.

The two additions Friday night, forward Mikiah Herbert Harrigan at No. 6 and point guard Crystal Dangerfield at No. 16, can both stretch the floor and shoot it well from three, another area of concern for Minnesota. But the ability to avoid mistakes with the ball — each player carried a turnover percentage below 12 last year — is critical to changing the offensive makeup of the Lynx. Even Ogwumike, the primary ball handler at Rice, finished with a strong 13.7 turnover percentage. It was a clear point of emphasis for Minnesota.

Post #: 3716
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/22/2020 12:03:21 PM   
TJSweens

Rookie Mikiah Herbert Harrigan brings a needed edge to Lynx
After deciding to return, she ended with her best season at South Carolina

By Kent Youngblood Star Tribune APRIL 22, 2020 — 8:07AM

South Carolina women’s basketball coach Dawn Staley has been playing or coaching basketball her whole life. She has coached an NCAA national champion and played on three gold medal-winning USA Olympic teams. The point: She has seen a lot.

But, she said, she was surprised.

The subject: Mikiah Herbert Harrigan, her 6-2 forward who was taken by the Lynx on Friday with the sixth overall pick in the WNBA draft. A long, lean, shot-blocking bundle of intensity who plays defense like it’s a mission and blocks shots as if the idea of someone challenging her is a personal affront. Among the nicknames she has acquired are “Mad Kiki” and “Access Denied.”

The question: How do you explain the jump Herbert Harrigan made as a senior?

“Because,” as Staley said this week, “the first three years of her college career there was a little bit of growth. Last year she took over.”

Perhaps Herbert Harrigan made the leap because she didn’t take off.

A tough decision

Go back to the end of that junior season. The Gamecocks had, by their standards, a difficult season: 23-10 overall, blown out in the Sweet 16 by Baylor. Not long after that game Herbert Harrigan told Staley she was going to enter the NCAA transfer portal.

Asked why in a conference call Tuesday, Herbert Harrigan hedged around the issue. Personal issues, she said.

“Some stuff needed to be clarified. We got on the phone with coach Staley and my mom. … South Carolina was the place I wanted to be. I just needed some things to be clarified.”

Perhaps Herbert Harrigan was afraid she might get lost amid a stellar incoming recruiting class at a time when she wanted to grab hold and lead the program, a pro career still in her dreams.

Staley said that role was already the plan. But:

“Sometimes I don’t think young people see the big picture,” Staley said. “They see their picture.”

It all got ironed out in that phone call. Herbert Harrigan returned and clicked with the kids. She was focused and driven.

“Her first three years she wasn’t paying attention to anything,” Staley said. “This year, this past season, she paid attention to everything. When she is locked in like that, she can do anything.”

Harnessing intensity

Herbert Harrigan’s intensity didn’t wane. It was just focused in a different way. She became more efficient on the offensive end. Always a good midrange shooter, she started showing three-point skills. Her passing vastly improved. If, perhaps, her edge had come from a sense of frustration early in her college career, as a senior it came from a sense of purpose.

South Carolina went from 23-10 to 32-1. That one loss was by 20 points to Indiana in late November at the Paradise Jam on the island of St. Thomas. It was a game, Staley recalled, that Herbert Harrigan backslid a bit, forcing some shots. But, two games later in the same tournament, Herbert Harrigan led the Gamecocks to a 74-59 victory over second-ranked Baylor.

Staley said that’s when she saw everything fall into place for her star. That was the first of 26 consecutive victories for South Carolina in a season that ended prematurely after the Gamecocks won the SEC tournament and Herbert Harrigan was named its MVP.

Herbert Harrigan coming to the Lynx, in retrospect, is no surprise. Coach/General Manager Cheryl Reeve and Staley are remarkably similar in style, friends who have coached together at USA Basketball. Herbert Harrigan played for Lynx center Sylvia Fowles’ AAU team in south Florida for years; she was lobbying her coach hard on the pick.

Fowles saw the intensity early on.

“She’s tough, raw and she has heart,” Fowles said. “That’s something we need in Minnesota. Something we’ve been lacking with Maya [Moore] out, [Lindsay] Whalen and [Rebekkah] Brunson retired. We have to build our intensity back up.”

The key: Herbert Harrigan continuing to focus her energy in the right direction and getting better at rebounding.

This could be the perfect situation, really. She knows Fowles. Reeve has put assistant Plenette Pierson — herself known for her edge as a player — in charge of mentoring Herbert Harrigan, whose senior season she watched closely.

Pierson’s biggest memory? Not scoring or defending. It was Herbert Harrigan getting into a scuffle with Mississippi State’s Jessika Carter after Gamecocks freshman Aliyah Boston had been shoved after a rebound.

“She has what I had going on,” Pierson said. “She rides for her team. But sometimes when you play with such passion your emotions can get in the way. It’s knowing how to use it to your advantage.”

But the bottom line is Reeve wanted a player with a bit of an attitude.

“I would much prefer to have edginess,” she said. “It shows an investment.”

So now Herbert Harrigan will have Fowles as a friend, Pierson as a mentor, Brunson as the best possible rebounding teacher.

“I really look forward to it,” she said. “To getting up there and getting to work. I’m ready for the challenge.”

Staley agreed.

“Having seen her grow and mature over the last year,” Staley said, “I know she’s going to be a better pro than college player.”

Post #: 3717
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/22/2020 12:05:15 PM   
Phil Riewer

Hey Sweens I saw it was discussed in the Athletic that the 3rd pick already has two sisters playing for LA....that in itself is pretty impressive.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 3718
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/22/2020 12:07:43 PM   
TJSweens

Yep, one is a former league MVP.

Post #: 3719
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/22/2020 12:17:53 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

And the other is a 2x All-Star, despite missing two full seasons due to injuries.
Post #: 3720
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/22/2020 12:23:48 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

And the other is a 2x All-Star, despite missing two full seasons due to injuries.

Sight unseen, I'm betting Ogwumike makes the roster at least for a year on bloodlines alone. Reeve is a big fan of Nneka Ogwumike, even though she called her the biggest flopper in the league. If Erica Ogwumike shows anything in camp (whenever that is) they will take a flier on her, at least until Sims returns and forces a decision at PG.

Post #: 3721
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/27/2020 9:36:49 AM   
TJSweens

Well, my previous post has been proven wrong. The Lynx waived Ogwumike to meet league mandated roster cuts. They also waived Linnae Harper, who was a FA they singed in the off season. They also did some finagling to keep Jessica Shepard on the roster by putting her on the suspended list. That, unfortunately means that the she cannot play this year even when her knee is fully rehabbed. They will have to waive somebody else if Odyssey Sims decides to play this year.

I think it really sucks that the WNBA couldn't make a 1 year exemption to allow teams to properly evaluate draft choices. The league is ridiculously tight about rosters.

Post #: 3722
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/27/2020 10:21:01 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Well, my previous post has been proven wrong. The Lynx waived Ogwumike to meet league mandated roster cuts. They also waived Linnae Harper, who was a FA they singed in the off season. They also did some finagling to keep Jessica Shepard on the roster by putting her on the suspended list. That, unfortunately means that the she cannot play this year even when her knee is fully rehabbed. They will have to waive somebody else if Odyssey Sims decides to play this year.

I think it really sucks that the WNBA couldn't make a 1 year exemption to allow teams to properly evaluate draft choices. The league is ridiculously tight about rosters.

Odyssey Sims is a very important part of our team. Really hope she does decide to play. Any chance Moore ever returns? I found this on the spider web.

WNBA star Maya Moore took two seasons off from basketball to fight for a man she believed was wrongfully convicted. On Monday, that hard work paid off.

Jonathan Irons served 22 years of a 50-year sentence for his convictions for burglary and assault, which were expunged on Monday. A judge granted Irons's petition for a writ of habeas corpus.

The legal process is not quite over yet, however. The state of Missouri has 15 days to request an appellate court overview. If the state decides not to issue that appeal, then the county has the next month to decide whether to retry Irons, who was a teenager at the time of the incident.

Irons's lawyers told The New York Times that his case had no corroborating witnesses, forensic evidence or physical evidence that connected Irons to the crime.

A key piece of evidence for the state was a confession Irons allegedly made to a detective, admitting that he had broken into the house and committed the crime, but that he could not remember anything else because he was drunk.

Irons has denied ever making that confession since the allegation was raised. The detective did not testify at the trial due to illness and has since died.

Irons, a black man, was sentenced by an all-white jury.

"This day has been a long time coming," Moore told reporters following the verdict. "We are just so grateful and thankful to God and to everybody who has played a role in bringing justice.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3723
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/27/2020 10:43:19 AM   
TJSweens

The Missouri AG is appealing the judge's decision to the the Court of Appeals Western District, so it's far from over.

Post #: 3724
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/27/2020 1:34:27 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

The Missouri AG is appealing the judge's decision to the the Court of Appeals Western District, so it's far from over.

I don't know enough about the case to form any opinion as to whether the man was guilty or not. It goes both ways. Sometimes the guilty go free and sometimes the innocent are punished. If I were ever on a jury I would be the prosecutions worst nightmare. I would probably never be approved for jury duty due to that. So far I've never even got a summons and I'm 61 years old. I'm not sure how I've avoided it all these years.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3725
Page:   <<   < prev  147 148 [149] 150 151   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Minnesota Lynx Page: <<   < prev  147 148 [149] 150 151   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode