Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Minnesota Lynx

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Minnesota Lynx Page: <<   < prev  67 68 [69] 70 71   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/25/2014 6:17:39 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I really haven't seen a PG give her fits that didn't every other PG fits as well. Harding had her back on her heels a couple of years back. Then Whalen would go down to the other end and over power Harding. In the end Whalen got the better of it. Whalen had some work on her knee before last season. I haven't really seen any PG exactly blow up on her since, so she may have been slowed for a couple of years by the knee.

Good point. I don't think there is any PG in the game that can stop Lindsay from getting where she wants to go with the ball. She's just so strong and physical.
Post #: 1701
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/25/2014 6:48:03 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

I really haven't seen a PG give her fits that didn't every other PG fits as well. Harding had her back on her heels a couple of years back. Then Whalen would go down to the other end and over power Harding. In the end Whalen got the better of it. Whalen had some work on her knee before last season. I haven't really seen any PG exactly blow up on her since, so she may have been slowed for a couple of years by the knee.

Good point. I don't think there is any PG in the game that can stop Lindsay from getting where she wants to go with the ball. She's just so strong and physical.

OK I looked this up. The first two games of the first Atlanta series Harding had 20-16 points with good assists and low TOs. Third game barely scored but had 7 assists. What I recall was Lindsay just couldn't keep up with her. Lindsay also was being forced to give up the ball on several occasions. Harding won the statistical battle of the two in that series. Once we were in the half court sets Lindsay was able to establish herself with her strength and physicality like you said DL. Lindsay is great but I still think I am calling out her IMO one relative weakness.
Post #: 1702
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/25/2014 7:05:40 PM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidAOlson

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom
... However, she doesn't walk on Water I think that was only Jesus and for a brief time Peter. ...

Obviously you haven't done enough ice fishing.

In Minnesota, even ordinary people --- sinners all --- can drive a car on water.

In high school we used to take parents cars on the lake just to do shit hooks.

Fargo
Post #: 1703
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/25/2014 7:28:17 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

OK I looked this up. The first two games of the first Atlanta series Harding had 20-16 points with good assists and low TOs. Third game barely scored but had 7 assists. What I recall was Lindsay just couldn't keep up with her. Lindsay also was being forced to give up the ball on several occasions. Harding won the statistical battle of the two in that series. Once we were in the half court sets Lindsay was able to establish herself with her strength and physicality like you said DL. Lindsay is great but I still think I am calling out her IMO one relative weakness.

I think you are looking at one series in a vacuum. Last year against the Lynx she averaged about 9pts and just under 4 asst on 37% shooting. Against Whalen's 12.5 / 5.6 on 50% shooting in the head to head match. Like I said, once the knee was scoped Whalen is just fine.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1704
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/26/2014 1:34:12 PM   
Minnyme

quote:

quote:

quote:

DL I am curious if you think Tan White might be a player who can cover when the opponent has that super quick PG. I know Lindsay can take advantage of smaller PGs on offense by posting them up and passing over them, but guarding them and getting the ball up court against them IMO is not a strength of hers.

I'm really not that concerned about it. No one stops super quick PGs on their own. That's where having excellent team defense comes in so handy.

And Whalen rarely has trouble getting the ball up court against anyone. And if she did, we have plenty of secondary ballhandlers that can help her out.

It bugs me that I don't remember just who it was that I am thinking about that gave her fits. Short lightning quick PG. Would it be Lindsey Harding? Does she fit the description of super quick?

Harding is about 5-7, 5-8, pretty quick and still isn't the PG Whay is. Nor are: 5-4 Temika Johnson w/Seattle or theres 5-7 Danielle Robinson w/SA or maybe a couple of the 5-6 - 5-4 rookies gurads from Tulsa (names slip my mind), Alex Bently w/ATL, 5-6 Renee Montgomery @CT, maybe 5-8 Briann January of Indy ?

Tan White is not a PG by the way; a 5-7 SG who may defend the PGs depending on who we play.

I'm not a MN native so I'm not into the "Whalen walks on water" or "Is perfect" speak. Its all about basketball for me. I mildly understand your worry but its not a big concern for me. Yes we'll need to find our "PG of the future" and yes Lindsay is on the back side of her career and defense isn't her strength but still her all-around game & the effort & experience she brings to the game trumps that of the younger, quick guards you fear. The Lynx don't often have trouble getting the ball up the court. But, hey, she's entitlted to have some tough games. But those "quicker" PG aren't stopping Whay night in & night out either.

Fact is you don't have to be the quickest PG on the floor to be the most effective PG in the game. Ask fans and others who follow the league & by a large margin, bet, asked to pick a PG to lead their team to win now, they'd choose the 30 somethings Whalen & Bird over the field.

Quick, trigger happy, hyper active, out of control PGs who occationally have good defensive nights, dont help you win championships IMO. Teams that are able to score AND play great team defense are good bets to win championships. Those 2 elements are why the Lynx are the best in the league IMO.
Post #: 1705
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/26/2014 2:19:26 PM   
Minnyme

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think you are looking at one series in a vacuum. Last year against the Lynx she averaged about 9pts and just under 4 asst on 37% shooting. Against Whalen's 12.5 / 5.6 on 50% shooting in the head to head match. Like I said, once the knee was scoped Whalen is just fine.

Ok, Lindsey Harding was with LA last season, '13. Lynx played ATL twice in '12. Are you going back alllllllll the way back to the finals series of '11 to worry ?
** Come on man you need to stop and enjoy the ride

We all know Whay will never be defensive player of the year but fact is she's a solid PG and everyone but Bird are trying to figure out how to be as good.
Post #: 1706
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/26/2014 2:23:35 PM   
Minnyme

quote:

I don't recall Whay ever having any knee issues. Its been her ankle over the years that she's had issue with. I believe the last was having bone spurs removed ?
Post #: 1707
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/29/2014 11:09:20 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Minnyme

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ok, Lindsey Harding was with LA last season, '13. Lynx played ATL twice in '12. Are you going back alllllllll the way back to the finals series of '11 to worry ?
** Come on man you need to stop and enjoy the ride

We all know Whay will never be defensive player of the year but fact is she's a solid PG and everyone but Bird are trying to figure out how to be as good.

First off I have enjoyed the ride . Yes it was 2011 when I first noticed this. Both trouble defending and having trouble getting the ball upcourt. She was forced to give up the ball or lose it on some occasions. Maybe this issue was exaggerated in my mind because it was the finals and even though we swept the series those first two games could have gone either way. As stated Whalen is great. This is not intended in any way as a slight on Whalen. How many players are perfect in every way? I am being greedy. I am just looking for a way to make the team even better.

So if Tan is not a PG and does not meet this perceived need I am still hoping the Lynx can acquire a super quick back up PG with great ball handling skills to take the pressure off for 10 minutes a game in these situations. I don't care much if this player can score just needs to be able to defend and get the ball upcourt without problems.
Post #: 1708
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/29/2014 9:11:22 PM   
Minnyme

Well Monica tweaked her knee last week during work outs and after an MRI needed to underwent arthroscopic surgery on her left knee last Friday so she’ll be out a while

http://www.wnba.com/lynx/news/wright_injury_update_2014_04_28.html

Janel finished up in Poland a day or two ago and Lindsay, Seimone, Rebekkah and Dev all just played their last gms in Russia today so all 5 should be on their way back to the U.S. in the next few days. So they should start rolling into camp early next week. Some may show up at the 1st preseason gm on Monday but not play of course.
Post #: 1709
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/29/2014 9:21:31 PM   
Minnyme

quote:

... I am being greedy. I am just looking for a way to make the team even better.

So if Tan is not a PG and does not meet this perceived need I am still hoping the Lynx can acquire a super quick back up PG with great ball handling skills to take the pressure off for 10 minutes a game in these situations. I don't care much if this player can score just needs to be able to defend and get the ball upcourt without problems.

For the record I see myself as a bit greedy too

While I don't veiw Tan as a PG she is a combo guard type and w/Monnie out for a while coach has her 1st off the bench.
Here are 2 good videos from camp to enjoy :

Tan:

http://www.wnba.com/video/wnba/2014/04/28/140428PracticeReportWhitemp4-3252750

From Coach on day 2 (Monday) :

http://www.wnba.com/video/wnba/2014/04/28/140428PracticeReportReevemp4-3252751
Post #: 1710
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/30/2014 10:44:30 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Well Monica tweaked her knee last week during work outs and after an MRI needed to underwent arthroscopic surgery on her left knee last Friday so she’ll be out a while

Janel finished up in Poland a day or two ago and Lindsay, Seimone, Rebekkah and Dev all just played their last gms in Russia today so all 5 should be on their way back to the U.S. in the next few days. So they should start rolling into camp early next week. Some may show up at the 1st preseason gm on Monday but not play of course.

Monica is a Huge part of this team. That sucks. How long is a while and how many games is she likely to miss?
Post #: 1711
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/30/2014 10:49:46 AM   
Jim Frenette

Thanks for those links. I enjoyed the interviews

Fargo
Post #: 1712
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/30/2014 10:51:53 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

... I am being greedy. I am just looking for a way to make the team even better.

For the record I see myself as a bit greedy too

While I don't veiw Tan as a PG she is a combo guard type and w/Monnie out for a while coach has her 1st off the bench.
Here are 2 good videos from camp to enjoy :

Tan:

http://www.wnba.com/video/wnba/2014/04/28/140428PracticeReportWhitemp4-3252750

From Coach on day 2 (Monday) :

http://www.wnba.com/video/wnba/2014/04/28/140428PracticeReportReevemp4-3252751

After listening to those interviews I am encouraged about Tan being able to play the defensive role I am looking for. It sounds like she probably doesn't have the ball handling skills I am looking for though.
Post #: 1713
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/30/2014 11:05:56 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

Monica is a Huge part of this team. That sucks. How long is a while and how many games is she likely to miss?

No one knows yet. Fortunately it sounds like a "clean up" and not a major surgery or reconstruction. I've seen guesses of 6-8 weeks, but those are just guesses.
Post #: 1714
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 4/30/2014 1:32:10 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

No one knows yet. Fortunately it sounds like a "clean up" and not a major surgery or reconstruction. I've seen guesses of 6-8 weeks, but those are just guesses.

WNBA season is short. Here is wishing Monica a speedy recovery.
Post #: 1715
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/13/2014 5:29:31 PM   
kgdabom

I just looked up the Lynx Schedule. Do they actually start the regular season this Friday? Does the WNBA play preseason games?
Post #: 1716
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/13/2014 7:31:38 PM   
SoMnFan

They've been covering them (TC channels) playing some exhibitions the past couple weeks.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1717
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/13/2014 7:39:54 PM   
David Levine

CRAP!

Lynx star Rebekkah Brunson out 8-10 weeks after knee surgery
Posted by: Kent Youngblood Updated: May 13, 2014 - 2:44 PM

Lynx power forward and co-captain Rebekkah Brunson had surgery on her right knee Tuesday morning and is expected to be sidelined at least two months. This is yet another injury setback for the Lynx, who open their season at Washington on Friday.

The defending WNBA champs had already lost top backup guard Monica Wright and top backup forward Devereaux Peters, both of whom had arthroscopic procedures on their left knees. Both are expected to miss at least the first six games.
Post #: 1718
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/13/2014 11:37:55 PM   
kgdabom

Ladies are going to have to step up BIG Time for us. We should make the playoffs on the strength of WHalen, Moore, and Augustus but don't have enough firepower the way it looks right now to advance.
Post #: 1719
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/16/2014 1:45:41 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Ladies are going to have to step up BIG Time for us. We should make the playoffs on the strength of WHalen, Moore, and Augustus but don't have enough firepower the way it looks right now to advance.

As long as we make the playoffs we should have plenty of firepower once we get there. We just likely won't have homecourt throughout.
Post #: 1720
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/16/2014 3:18:33 PM   
TJSweens

I wouldn't even write off home court advantage. Wright should be back fairly early in the season. This is where getting Tan White and signing Damiris Dantas could pay off early. It will also depend on the progress of players like Lindsay Moore, Tricia Liston ad Asia Taylor.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 5/16/2014 3:20:26 PM >

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1721
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/16/2014 6:21:35 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

I wouldn't even write off home court advantage. Wright should be back fairly early in the season. This is where getting Tan White and signing Damiris Dantas could pay off early. It will also depend on the progress of players like Lindsay Moore, Tricia Liston ad Asia Taylor.

Sweens you think even missing those three players for a good part of the season we can still have the best record in the league? That is optimistic but it could happen.
Post #: 1722
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/16/2014 7:55:13 PM   
David Levine

Dantas having a nice debut for the Lynx.

11 boards, 5 assists and 4 points (2-2).

Maya being Maya.
Post #: 1723
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/16/2014 7:56:48 PM   
David Levine

And a 10 point lead with 45 seconds to go. I'm calling it.
Post #: 1724
RE: Minnesota Lynx - 5/17/2014 11:02:44 PM   
Minnyme

Tough start with the injuries to 3 of the core group but help will come soon enough.

Monica Wright is now 3+ wks out from surgery. Estimated recovery time (ERT) was said to be in the 6-8 wk range. So far her rehab has gone well.

For Devearaux Peters, things turned out better than expected. It was thought she had torn a meniscus but they found it wasn't and she just had something floating around(?) so all they had to do was some “cleaning up”. She’s a wk + out from surgery. ERT 4-6 wks. Her rehab has been going well.

The “good” of the “bad” news with Rebekkah Brunson is things didn’t look as bad as originally thought but her ERT is anywhere from 8-12 wks (range that I heard/read but the 12 wks I think was prior to the surgery)

So its possible both Monnie & Dev could return around the same time, first part of June. Which would be good timing. I see the mid June stretch to be the toughest part of the Lynx schedule w/lots of road games & tough opponents. Hopefully the bench hangs in there and helps out the starters till Monnie & Dev get back into the mix.
Post #: 1725
Page:   <<   < prev  67 68 [69] 70 71   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Minnesota Lynx Page: <<   < prev  67 68 [69] 70 71   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode