Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Other NFL News

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Other NFL News Page: <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Other NFL News - 10/15/2019 6:01:27 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

The refs hand another one to the Pukers. What a bunch of crap.

Very subtle.
Post #: 1501
RE: Other NFL News - 10/15/2019 6:10:14 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

Those who think that the Packers systematically benefit from calls per NFL policy, please explain exactly how you think this goes down. Memos? Meetings? Secret hand signals? How exactly does this get communicated to the officials? How do they ensure that not a single ref squeals to the press or lets it slip during the course of a game?

Kaffee: Corporal, would you turn to the page in this book that says where the mess hall is, please?

Cpl. Barnes: Well, Lt. Kaffee, that's not in the book, sir.

Kaffee: You mean to say in all your time at Gitmo, you've never had a meal?

Cpl. Barnes: No, sir. Three squares a day, sir.

Kaffee: I don't understand. How did you know where the mess hall was if it's not in this book?

Cpl. Barnes: Well, I guess I just followed the crowd at chow time, sir.

Kaffee: No more questions.

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

I'm quite familiar with Nicholson's seminal work in "A Few Good Refs." This is reality. How does it happen? Explaining this will help Giants fans, who say the exact same stuff about the Cowboys vis a vis the refs......
Post #: 1502
RE: Other NFL News - 10/15/2019 6:12:03 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Bohumm, it must have been a little too obvious last night, as ESPN did a segment this afternoon on how the refs helped the Packers win.

The refs' incompetence helped the Packers win last night; virtually no one disputes that. How do the mechanisms of the conspiracy work in tin-foil-hat land?
Post #: 1503
RE: Other NFL News - 10/15/2019 10:34:51 PM   
marty

I embrace 'tin-foil-hat land', as many seem closed off to the idea of other possibilities, or something not in the realm of 'normal' discussion.

A possible 'sway' to insure a Packer win, that seemed ok with the Lions covering the spread, hard to say. Keep the home team happy, the Packers bring a lot of fans to other stadiums, they're great for the NFL, they almost filled half of Texas stadium last week.

Maybe there have been other 'sways' going on, but the teams the refs helped, didn't need as much help as the Packers minus Adams needed, so those 'sways' were less noticeable.

I am not sure why the ref bias, it just seemed like it was there. I would lean towards the Packers having more likeable players, the Lions might have some real jerks on the team that turned off sone officials, and it really just takes ONE jerk to accomplish that.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1504
RE: Other NFL News - 10/16/2019 9:58:42 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I embrace 'tin-foil-hat land', as many seem closed off to the idea of other possibilities, or something not in the realm of 'normal' discussion.

A possible 'sway' to insure a Packer win, that seemed ok with the Lions covering the spread, hard to say. Keep the home team happy, the Packers bring a lot of fans to other stadiums, they're great for the NFL, they almost filled half of Texas stadium last week.

Maybe there have been other 'sways' going on, but the teams the refs helped, didn't need as much help as the Packers minus Adams needed, so those 'sways' were less noticeable.

I am not sure why the ref bias, it just seemed like it was there. I would lean towards the Packers having more likeable players, the Lions might have some real jerks on the team that turned off sone officials, and it really just takes ONE jerk to accomplish that.

Didn't ask why, I asked how this happens on a decade-over-decade basis with new generations of refs and NFL personnel. What is the mechanism, and how does it never come out?

Crickets, until the next "fixed" Packers game.
Post #: 1505
RE: Other NFL News - 10/16/2019 10:13:52 AM   
David F.

I don't think it's fair to ask someone to explain the ins and outs of how something happens as a way to definitely prove it didn't happen. I can't explain the ins and outs of how my TV works and yet night after night there it is with bright lights that create moving images and sounds and what have you.

The Bears fans say it's Green Bay. The Vikings fans say it's Green Bay. The Lions fans say it's Green Bay. Green Bay fans retort with 'there were a couple of games in the last ten years where we got screwed too'. There's something to it.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1506
RE: Other NFL News - 10/16/2019 10:22:34 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

I don't think it's fair to ask someone to explain the ins and outs of how something happens as a way to definitely prove it didn't happen. I can't explain the ins and outs of how my TV works and yet night after night there it is with bright lights that create moving images and sounds and what have you.

The Bears fans say it's Green Bay. The Vikings fans say it's Green Bay. The Lions fans say it's Green Bay. Green Bay fans retort with 'there were a couple of games in the last ten years where we got screwed too'. There's something to it.

But do you really think the refs get instructions to favor the Packers? That's the only way it works, and it strains credulity that it persists over decades with no one finding out.

BTW, the entire NFC East says the same thing about the Cowboys.
Post #: 1507
RE: Other NFL News - 10/16/2019 10:24:44 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

But do you really think the refs get instructions to favor the Packers? That's the only way it works, and it strains credulity that it persists over decades with no one finding out.

BTW, the entire NFC East says the same thing about the Cowboys.

That's because the Cowboys, Packers, Steelers, and Patriots all get a 'darling' status. I don't know how or even why - but they do.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1508
RE: Other NFL News - 10/16/2019 10:29:07 AM   
Lynn G.

It's probably similar to the weird baseball truism that some pitchers get strike calls that others don't. If you're a grizzled veteran with a lengthy and winning career - the umps give you strike calls that the rookies don't get. Nevermind that it wasn't actually a strike - you get that call and everyone kind of knowingly nods that it is just something you do for the aces.

Probably the same thing in football. Unwritten, but generally agreed upon, that some favored quarterbacks or teams just get those calls. And when the refs do it, they don't think about what they are stealing from another team that has been playing their hearts out only to lose because a ref thought it's the right thing to do to show favoritism to the aces.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1509
RE: Other NFL News - 10/16/2019 10:30:25 AM   
Lynn G.

It's the same old story - the haves and the have-nots. The haves don't really NEED your help because they already have $100 bills sticking out of their pockets, but we keep giving to them anyway because ... it's just the way it's always been done.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1510
RE: Other NFL News - 10/16/2019 10:37:48 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

It's probably similar to the weird baseball truism that some pitchers get strike calls that others don't. If you're a grizzled veteran with a lengthy and winning career - the umps give you strike calls that the rookies don't get. Nevermind that it wasn't actually a strike - you get that call and everyone kind of knowingly nods that it is just something you do for the aces.

Probably the same thing in football. Unwritten, but generally agreed upon, that some favored quarterbacks or teams just get those calls. And when the refs do it, they don't think about what they are stealing from another team that has been playing their hearts out only to lose because a ref thought it's the right thing to do to show favoritism to the aces.

I agree that some players benefit from calls because of their history and that the home team gets calls because of the psychological impact of the crowd on the refs, but this is different than an explicit conspiracy to help some teams win over time. If true, it's the WWE (which the NFL verges more toward with each passing day, so maybe I'm undercutting my own argument here).

If this conspiracy is true, it has to be conveyed somehow. How do you think it happens? "Unwritten, but generally agreed upon" does not explain how this has happened across decades, different generations of refs, different personnel in the league office, etc. The parameters of the conspiracy have to be conveyed somehow for it to exist at all and then be perpetuated over time; how do we think this happens logistically?
Post #: 1511
RE: Other NFL News - 10/16/2019 10:43:14 AM   
SoMnFan

Ref stands next to the QB all day ….
Who's going to get the calls?
Rogers or Stafford?
Rogers or Cousins?
Rogers or Daniels?
Pretty simple to me. There's intimidation going on. Totally my opinion, but that's what I see. I don't think they meet and intend to steer things one way, I think they are intimidated into it.
By reputation, repetition, and environment. Its human nature for ref crews to want to get out of places unscathed. easiest way to do that is to cater to the momentum and the atmosphere.
And they've crossed over now to where its expected. So good luck ever changing it.
Teams need to coach differently going into GB. The Lions stupidly expected a fair shake. You can't treat it the same.
You better have a bigger lead. you can't settle for FGs. You can't expect field position will keep your lead. Teams go in there and play right into their hands by playing it safe.
The most enjoyable Viking games there only happened when we went in and took no prisoners early.
There's no "hanging on" there. You go in, you punch them in the mouth and you don't let up until the game ends.

Great observation Lynn
Other sports the same way
Strike zones in Boston and NY are totally controlled by the atmosphere, imo.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1512
RE: Other NFL News - 10/16/2019 10:50:13 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

I agree that some players benefit from calls because of their history and that the home team gets calls because of the psychological impact of the crowd on the refs, but this is different than an explicit conspiracy to help some teams win over time. If true, it's the WWE (which the NFL verges more toward with each passing day, so maybe I'm undercutting my own argument here).

If this conspiracy is true, it has to be conveyed somehow. How do you think it happens? "Unwritten, but generally agreed upon" does not explain how this has happened across decades, different generations of refs, different personnel in the league office, etc. The parameters of the conspiracy have to be conveyed somehow for it to exist at all and then be perpetuated over time; how do we think this happens logistically?

You are speaking to a single person here.
Post #: 1513
RE: Other NFL News - 10/16/2019 11:00:06 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Ref stands next to the QB all day ….
Who's going to get the calls?
Rogers or Stafford?
Rogers or Cousins?
Rogers or Daniels?
Pretty simple to me. There's intimidation going on. Totally my opinion, but that's what I see. I don't think they meet and intend to steer things one way, I think they are intimidated into it.
By reputation, repetition, and environment. Its human nature for ref crews to want to get out of places unscathed. easiest way to do that is to cater to the momentum and the atmosphere.
And they've crossed over now to where its expected. So good luck ever changing it.
Teams need to coach differently going into GB. The Lions stupidly expected a fair shake. You can't treat it the same.
You better have a bigger lead. you can't settle for FGs. You can't expect field position will keep your lead. Teams go in there and play right into their hands by playing it safe.
The most enjoyable Viking games there only happened when we went in and took no prisoners early.
There's no "hanging on" there. You go in, you punch them in the mouth and you don't let up until the game ends.

Great observation Lynn
Other sports the same way
Strike zones in Boston and NY are totally controlled by the atmosphere, imo.

I agree with this to an extent. Stars get calls in every sport, and in life, politics, media, entertainment, business, etc. But that doesn't explain the tin foil theory on how those hands to the face calls happened, or the non-call on PI. Those were incompetence. There's no conspiracy; it's just normal human dynamics and fallibility.

I also agree with your take on how to combat it.
Post #: 1514
RE: Other NFL News - 10/16/2019 1:55:31 PM   
marty

But incompetence would likely even out over time, not keep rewarding the Packers, Patriots and Cowboys.

To miss an obvious penalty right in front of your face, and then later seek to find a hard to find penalty against the same team that was a victim of your not seeing the obvious earlier, sounds a little different than incompetence.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1515
RE: Other NFL News - 10/16/2019 2:05:47 PM   
David F.

I remember playing the Packers in Minneapolis when we had Shainco in 2010. There was a play where a Packer receiver clearly did NOT make a catch in the endzone but they gave them the TD anyway. Later there was a catch in the endzone by Shainco that clearly WAS a catch but they ruled it not a catch even after review. It was the difference in the game which in turn led to the difference in the Packers making the playoffs or not. They won the Super Bowl that year.

Post #: 1516
RE: Other NFL News - 10/16/2019 7:11:53 PM   
bohumm

quote:

I remember playing the Packers in Minneapolis when we had Shainco in 2010. There was a play where a Packer receiver clearly did NOT make a catch in the endzone but they gave them the TD anyway. Later there was a catch in the endzone by Shainco that clearly WAS a catch but they ruled it not a catch even after review. It was the difference in the game which in turn led to the difference in the Packers making the playoffs or not. They won the Super Bowl that year.

I remember that too. If it's a conspiracy and not bad officiating, how does it play out?

Also, what about last year when a Cousins interception at the end of the game was called back because of an extremely borderline roughing call? Did that ref not get the memo?
Post #: 1517
RE: Other NFL News - 10/16/2019 7:35:35 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

I remember that too. If it's a conspiracy and not bad officiating, how does it play out?

Also, what about last year when a Cousins interception at the end of the game was called back because of an extremely borderline roughing call? Did that ref not get the memo?

That was when there was three or four iffy roughing the quarterback calls per game
Post #: 1518
RE: Other NFL News - 10/16/2019 8:00:16 PM   
hagar

quote:

quote:

Probably got fined for going rogue and pantsed in the refs locker room.
Post #: 1519
RE: Other NFL News - 10/17/2019 7:05:38 AM   
Bill Jandro

FOX Sports rules analyst Mike Pereira has proposed a sky judge.

“Not a replay official,” he told me in the wake of the Nikell Robey-Coleman fiasco in the NFC Championship game, “an eighth official, part of the crew, travels with the crew … and give him the ability to be on site in an enclosed booth with a technician, to look at the play on television in real time and correct obvious mistakes that are big plays and involve player safety and pass interference, and be able to correct some of this stuff. … He’s able to, in 15 seconds’ time, correct a mistake. I think that’s what needs to be done, quite frankly, to win back the confidence to a degree. It’ll look a little strange, but it won’t happen more than probably two or three times a game. It’s kind of a fail-safe to me.”

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1520
RE: Other NFL News - 10/17/2019 7:06:56 AM   
Bill Jandro

Tony Dungy tweeted: “I’m not saying officials cost Lions the game. I’m saying three wrong calls and one obvious missed call in one half is not acceptable. Doesn’t matter who wins the game.”

Tony Dorsett tweeted: “Refs are playing too big a part in the fate of games, man.”

Jack Del Rio cited four blown calls in Lions-Packers and tweeted: “Refs can’t guess and can’t get these wrong. Lions would’ve won by 2 scores.”

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1521
RE: Other NFL News - 10/17/2019 7:52:09 AM   
Lynn G.

quote:

I have used that game as an example several times to point out the consequences of bad officiating. As I recall we had TWO touchdowns in that game that were ruled non-touchdowns by the refs and since the Packers only won that game by 3 points, those bad calls definitely changed the outcome of the game. The Packers had to beat the Bears in the last game that season just to get in the playoffs because they weren't exactly a great team that year. Had our game against them been called correctly they would not have even been in the running for the playoffs for that last game.

And then that mediocre Packer team got hot in the playoffs and went on to win the Superbowl. The perfect example of an unjust awarding of the Lombardi.

Post #: 1522
RE: Other NFL News - 10/17/2019 11:19:00 AM   
thebigo

Another thing that has always bothered me is the occurrence of game-changing plays by the rules that screwed the Vikings big-time, and resulted in rules changes for the next season.

3 off the top of my head:

The game against Arizona, last game of the regular season, last play of the game, Zona's receiver catches a hail maryish pass as he is going OOBs in the endzone, there's contact with the Vikes defender, refs rule the receiver got pushed OOBs, so it's a TD, Pukers into the playoffs, Vikings out. That off-season NFL removes the "push out" subjectiveness from receivers getting down in bounds.

The NFC championship game 2009, bogus PI on Ben Leber in OT puts NO in FG position to win the game. That off-season NFL changes OT rules so a FG on the initial drive does not win it, and the other team gets a possession.

Game at Lameblow, Pukers TE catches a pass in the EZ called a TD, replay shows he was clearly bobbling the ball all through falling OOBs, but no challenge from Vikes probably due to insufficient video availability, Vikes lose 28-24. That off-season the NFL changes the rules so that all scoring plays will be officially reviewed.
Post #: 1523
RE: Other NFL News - 10/17/2019 11:37:45 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

Another thing that has always bothered me is the occurrence of game-changing plays by the rules that screwed the Vikings big-time, and resulted in rules changes for the next season.

3 off the top of my head:

The game against Arizona, last game of the regular season, last play of the game, Zona's receiver catches a hail maryish pass as he is going OOBs in the endzone, there's contact with the Vikes defender, refs rule the receiver got pushed OOBs, so it's a TD, Pukers into the playoffs, Vikings out. That off-season NFL removes the "push out" subjectiveness from receivers getting down in bounds.

The NFC championship game 2009, bogus PI on Ben Leber in OT puts NO in FG position to win the game. That off-season NFL changes OT rules so a FG on the initial drive does not win it, and the other team gets a possession.

Game at Lameblow, Pukers TE catches a pass in the EZ called a TD, replay shows he was clearly bobbling the ball all through falling OOBs, but no challenge from Vikes probably due to insufficient video availability, Vikes lose 28-24. That off-season the NFL changes the rules so that all scoring plays will be officially reviewed.

Good stuff
Then theres
Calvin Johnson's TD ruled no catch that changed the rules VS GB
The Cowboys overruled TD in the playoffs that changed the rules VS GB

Hmmmmm

I'm sure that ONE TIME GB got screwed by the replacement refs vs Seattle, something probably changed after that, too.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1524
RE: Other NFL News - 10/17/2019 12:44:42 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

FOX Sports rules analyst Mike Pereira has proposed a sky judge.

“Not a replay official,” he told me in the wake of the Nikell Robey-Coleman fiasco in the NFC Championship game, “an eighth official, part of the crew, travels with the crew … and give him the ability to be on site in an enclosed booth with a technician, to look at the play on television in real time and correct obvious mistakes that are big plays and involve player safety and pass interference, and be able to correct some of this stuff. … He’s able to, in 15 seconds’ time, correct a mistake. I think that’s what needs to be done, quite frankly, to win back the confidence to a degree. It’ll look a little strange, but it won’t happen more than probably two or three times a game. It’s kind of a fail-safe to me.”

Mike Florio proposes something very similar

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1525
Page:   <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Other NFL News Page: <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode