Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota & World Soccer >> RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 7/26/2018 3:27:30 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Hey, you haven't asked if the stadium is close to the light rail in quite a while.

I asked that ONE TIME!!!

On two different days.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 101
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 7/27/2018 12:37:49 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

How far will the walk be from the Green Line stop to the new soccer stadium?

This post from Feb 2018 is the only one I can find where I mentioned the stadium's proximity to the light rail.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 102
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 7/27/2018 12:38:27 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

I didn't watch any World Cup. But I heard a lot of talk about penalty kicks deciding too many games. From what I heard, it's a stupid way to decide a game because all the goalkeeper does is guess left or right, and dive that way. So my question is, if the goalkeeper is gonna dive left or right every time, why not just kick it right down the middle? Goal every time, right?

Does anyone have an answer to this question?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 103
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 7/27/2018 1:01:33 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

I didn't watch any World Cup. But I heard a lot of talk about penalty kicks deciding too many games. From what I heard, it's a stupid way to decide a game because all the goalkeeper does is guess left or right, and dive that way. So my question is, if the goalkeeper is gonna dive left or right every time, why not just kick it right down the middle? Goal every time, right?

Does anyone have an answer to this question?

Yes but I can't help but think you are f'ng with me so...
Post #: 104
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 7/27/2018 8:37:58 PM   
El Duderino

quote:

I think they pretty well sell out all the time. It looks like they are trying to ramp it up a little as they prepare to move into the new stadium nest year. Quintaro was the first of 3 higher profile signings. Angelo Rodriguez is another recent designated player signing from Columbia. He is supposed to be another big scorer, but hasn't played yet. Romario Ibarra is a 23 year old from the Ecuadorian National team who just got his first game action last night.

Quintero has been worth every penny and then some. If Rodriguez or RIbarra are as good as him, this team is going to be a real threat. At least as far as scoring goes ... I still don't trust the back line. Boxall and Kallman get beat way too much for my liking, and Calvo is better suited as a back than as a CB.

That said, the personnel has been adjusting nicely to the 3-5-2. LAFC is no joke, and the Loons made them look bad both ways. They're playing incredibly confidently on the counter. Quintero is a threat every time he touches the ball. Ramirez is a big body who knows what to do with the ball. MIbarra has great chemistry with both Quintero and Ramirez, and goes 90 minutes end-to-end with no letup essentially every game.

Schuller and Ibson work well together - Schuller is more defensive minded, but gets the counter going with great long balls, while Ibson is a posession-oriented offensive minded mid. The addition of Rodriguez and RIbarra can only make this offense deadlier. Which is good, given how many goals this team gives up. I tell you what: regardless of whether they win or lose, they play entertaining games.

The Dude Abides
Post #: 105
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 8/1/2018 8:47:05 PM   
joejitsu

I'm feeling really good about Arsenal this year! Wenger had to go.
Post #: 106
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 8/2/2018 8:43:58 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

I'm feeling really good about Arsenal this year! Wenger had to go.

I don't know your angle here Joe but my spidey senses are going off
Post #: 107
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 8/2/2018 8:49:05 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Duderino

quote:

I think they pretty well sell out all the time. It looks like they are trying to ramp it up a little as they prepare to move into the new stadium nest year. Quintaro was the first of 3 higher profile signings. Angelo Rodriguez is another recent designated player signing from Columbia. He is supposed to be another big scorer, but hasn't played yet. Romario Ibarra is a 23 year old from the Ecuadorian National team who just got his first game action last night.

Quintero has been worth every penny and then some. If Rodriguez or RIbarra are as good as him, this team is going to be a real threat. At least as far as scoring goes ... I still don't trust the back line. Boxall and Kallman get beat way too much for my liking, and Calvo is better suited as a back than as a CB.

That said, the personnel has been adjusting nicely to the 3-5-2. LAFC is no joke, and the Loons made them look bad both ways. They're playing incredibly confidently on the counter. Quintero is a threat every time he touches the ball. Ramirez is a big body who knows what to do with the ball. MIbarra has great chemistry with both Quintero and Ramirez, and goes 90 minutes end-to-end with no letup essentially every game.

Schuller and Ibson work well together - Schuller is more defensive minded, but gets the counter going with great long balls, while Ibson is a posession-oriented offensive minded mid. The addition of Rodriguez and RIbarra can only make this offense deadlier. Which is good, given how many goals this team gives up. I tell you what: regardless of whether they win or lose, they play entertaining games.

Minnesota United was able to acquire an extra foreign player slot from another team and were able to activate Rodriguez. He is slated to play Saturday. From what I have read, he is very much on Quintero's level and Quitero being on the Loons was a major factor for him in deciding to sign here.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 108
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 8/2/2018 8:58:36 AM   
SoMnFan

I admire the soccer knowledge fellas.
Outstanding.
Post #: 109
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 8/2/2018 9:25:03 AM   
TJSweens

Yes, we have come a long from the days of getting excited about something and Jeff taking a dump all over it.

Post #: 110
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 8/2/2018 1:48:55 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I will always respond when I know it's legit ~~wink/wink Matt.
Post #: 111
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 8/18/2018 4:19:44 PM   
joejitsu

Arsenal's performance was bad today. I don't know enough about soccer to know what needs to be fixed, but some of their main players look disinterested and slow.
Post #: 112
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 8/18/2018 6:51:01 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

Arsenal's performance was bad today. I don't know enough about soccer to know what needs to be fixed, but some of their main players look disinterested and slow.

Alright man, you sucked me in and i'm trusting you - Don't "Matt-me".

Weird day all around. Saw good and bad. The bad though was really bad. How we continue to not deal with balls over the back line is mind blowing. Mustafi has no idea when runs are about to go right by him yet it continues every week. That guy is my Achilles.

Your 'disinterested' comment probably is Ozil? He gets it all the time. Big problem with him is he's not suited for a high press game like Emery is trying to instill. He's not a good fit for this system.

The good:

1. We went down 2-nill in 20 minutes and they were 2 ridiculously bad defensive goals. We still fought back and as the guys at halftime mentioned, we should have been up 4-2 at the break. This isn't hyperbole either. Just uncharacteristic misses by guys that don't miss. It was crazy. Auba and Mikka missed 2 sitters and Ozil should have put one away. What I love was Mikka actual goal after the miss. The miss bounced on him at the last second and that sent his angle under the ball. Happens all the time to the best of the best. A lot of guys get discouraged and down on themselves. His next chance? He literally didn't turtle. He said "f-it, this time It's in" and just buried it. That takes a certain mind set.

2. Czech continues to make really good saves, even at his age.

3. When Torriera came on, our D solidified. Wasn't perfect mind you but it looked so much better. His protection is invaluable.

The bad:

The back 4. It's a f'ng mess and there is no obvious help in site.

Wenger stole Bellerin from Barca and it was a coup. Since then he's turned in to a really fast defender. That's it. He hasn't progressed in any way with his play. Hazard jokingly abused him out there as did City last week.

Sokratis is old and did as well as an old guy can do at this level. He was toast after the 60th minute.

Mustafi......I hope I made my point above. He was crap last year and it's carried over. His rep as a "German international" is just a farce. He sucks and the crazy part is that he's also a big bitcher. Stop it dude, just man up, you aint cutting it.

Nacho - best guy on the back 4 all day. Good for him but it says about all you need to know for a club like Arsenal. He wouldn't sniff the bench at the "real" big clubs of the world.
Post #: 113
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 8/19/2018 8:26:51 AM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

quote:

Alright man, you sucked me in and i'm trusting you - Don't "Matt-me".

Weird day all around. Saw good and bad. The bad though was really bad. How we continue to not deal with balls over the back line is mind blowing. Mustafi has no idea when runs are about to go right by him yet it continues every week. That guy is my Achilles.

Your 'disinterested' comment probably is Ozil? He gets it all the time. Big problem with him is he's not suited for a high press game like Emery is trying to instill. He's not a good fit for this system.

The good:

1. We went down 2-nill in 20 minutes and they were 2 ridiculously bad defensive goals. We still fought back and as the guys at halftime mentioned, we should have been up 4-2 at the break. This isn't hyperbole either. Just uncharacteristic misses by guys that don't miss. It was crazy. Auba and Mikka missed 2 sitters and Ozil should have put one away. What I love was Mikka actual goal after the miss. The miss bounced on him at the last second and that sent his angle under the ball. Happens all the time to the best of the best. A lot of guys get discouraged and down on themselves. His next chance? He literally didn't turtle. He said "f-it, this time It's in" and just buried it. That takes a certain mind set.

2. Czech continues to make really good saves, even at his age.

3. When Torriera came on, our D solidified. Wasn't perfect mind you but it looked so much better. His protection is invaluable.

The bad:

The back 4. It's a f'ng mess and there is no obvious help in site.

Wenger stole Bellerin from Barca and it was a coup. Since then he's turned in to a really fast defender. That's it. He hasn't progressed in any way with his play. Hazard jokingly abused him out there as did City last week.

Sokratis is old and did as well as an old guy can do at this level. He was toast after the 60th minute.

Mustafi......I hope I made my point above. He was crap last year and it's carried over. His rep as a "German international" is just a farce. He sucks and the crazy part is that he's also a big bitcher. Stop it dude, just man up, you aint cutting it.

Nacho - best guy on the back 4 all day. Good for him but it says about all you need to know for a club like Arsenal. He wouldn't sniff the bench at the "real" big clubs of the world.

That's the stuff that I need to learn! I think that they have not been the same since Santi got hurt. He was so good on the transition that he covered up some of the mistakes that the back guys would make.
Post #: 114
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 8/19/2018 8:30:10 AM   
joejitsu

On the plus side, Sideshow Bob Guendouzi looks like he has a lot of skill for a 19 year old kid.
Post #: 115
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 8/19/2018 8:41:15 AM   
joejitsu

Oh, and Jeff, I really do like watching European soccer! Especially Arsenal. I was in London for a few weeks, and I stayed within walking distance from Arsenal's former stadium. On match days, the entire area would look like a staged riot from a movie scene. People everywhere, yelling about the opposition's fans, drinking all over the place. It was bedlam, and easy to get caught up in. I've liked Arsenal since then. I can't watch MSL, though. It seems like a bad copy of the European stuff.
Post #: 116
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 8/19/2018 9:14:59 AM   
Jeff Jesser

I'm with you man. I try to stay somewhat up to speed on MLS since United came to MN. It's my MN roots, just can't help myself. That being said, it all Arsenal and US Nats for me. Being an Arsenal fan has been great but it's also been really hard the last 10 years. The decline has been so obvious and frustrating I've been tempted to walk away for a bit but then the season starts again

This year is gonna be especially tough. The way the money is controlling the big players makes it tough. I'm not sure we'll even make Euro's (lets not even dream of UCL at this point) and that's going to make it tough to attract big names. And that assumes Kroenke would even pay for them.
Post #: 117
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 8/20/2018 8:14:22 PM   
twinsfan

So why wouldn't you just kick it right at the goalkeep during overtime kicks?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 118
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 8/21/2018 11:47:48 AM   
TJSweens

The Loons signed defensive mid fielder Fernando Bob of Brazil. He was playing in the top Brazilian league, so I assume he is pretty good. It sounds like a badly needed move since defensive lapses are killing them. Especially on the road.

Post #: 119
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 8/21/2018 12:31:38 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Don't know of him because I don't follow South American domestic leagues but I can tell you he won't be a superstar. If he's still down there at age 30 (and not in the Euro's somewhere) he doesn't have it. Might be a solid guy in MLS but that'll be his max.
Post #: 120
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 8/21/2018 12:37:12 PM   
TJSweens

And there's the hot steaming dump I was starting to miss.

Post #: 121
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 8/21/2018 12:42:49 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Post #: 122
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 8/21/2018 12:43:23 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Generally speaking If you are a stud from Brazil you will be in Europe by the time you're 20.
Post #: 123
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 8/21/2018 3:27:25 PM   
SoMnFan

And dead by the time you're 24 ...
Post #: 124
RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota - 8/21/2018 5:52:52 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

And dead by the time you're 24 ...

If you are general 'kid' with no futebol talent, absolutely. In fact, that's a pretty good life span down there. If you have as much talent as Neymar, they'll find you playing on the beach and a few years later you are bought for 222 million to fall over for a living anytime someone gets within 2 feet of you.

Not a bad gig if you can get it!
Post #: 125
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota & World Soccer >> RE: Soccer Made in Minnesota Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode