Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Other Sports >> Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 9/11/2017 8:23:59 AM   
bgdavis

The Mavericks football team won their recent home opener against Crookston by a score of 56-19. During the game, Maverick kicker Casey Bednarski kicked a 63-yd FG, setting the school and NSIC record. Here's a video of the boot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26er7LV1yOs

The camera work is a bit poor, but it's good enough to see that when the ball crosses the bar (around the 0:26 mark) it's still about halfway up the side posts, and it probably could have been good from another 10 yds out. From the flag, it's clear that he had a strong SE wind at his back, which is an unusual wind direction for the stadium - the prevailing winds are usually from the NW.

Heimdall kept the “ringing” horn, Gjallarhorn, which could be heard throughout heaven, earth, and the lower world; he would sound the horn to summon the gods when their enemies drew near.
(Norse mythology)
Post #: 1
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 9/11/2017 8:31:36 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: bgdavis

The Mavericks football team won their recent home opener against Crookston by a score of 56-19. During the game, Maverick kicker Casey Bednarski kicked a 63-yd FG, setting the school and NSIC record. Here's a video of the boot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26er7LV1yOs

The camera work is a bit poor, but it's good enough to see that when the ball crosses the bar (around the 0:26 mark) it's still about halfway up the side posts, and it probably could have been good from another 10 yds out. From the flag, it's clear that he had a strong SE wind at his back, which is an unusual wind direction for the stadium - the prevailing winds are usually from the NW.

Same old, same old with Crookston. The embarrassing football program should probably just go away.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 2
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 9/11/2017 8:44:28 AM   
twinsfan

I just checked UMC's records since 2010

0-2 in 2017
0-11 in 2016
1-10 in 2015
0-11 in 2014
2-9 in 2013
2-9 in 2012
1-10 in 2011
1-10 in 2010

-----

That's a 7-72 record.

They are 1-38 over their last 39 games.

It includes countless blowouts, including a 68-0 loss at the hands of Winona State last season.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 3
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 9/11/2017 9:29:12 AM   
SoMnFan

Should be a hockey school.
Post #: 4
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 9/11/2017 9:42:52 AM   
bgdavis

It's no secret that there's big size disparity among the schools in the NSIC which directly affects their ability to compete in various sports. Crookston's small size (~2.7K) ranks it 4th from the bottom in terms of enrollment compared to other NSIC schools. The enrollment at St Could State (>17K), MSU-Mankato (>15K) and UMD (>11K) comprise over 45% of the student population of league schools enrollment (~99K). Those bigger schools tend to have better facilities and an easier time attracting coaching and recruits. So even though scholarships are intended to be an equalizer, the bigger schools still hold a significant advantage.

The old NCC was a much more competitive league for those that were members, but that league dissolved when the Dakota teams opted to move up to Div I. There have been rumblings about MSU-Mankato, St Cloud and UMD exploring a future move up to Div I as well. All three are already Div I for Hockey. Minnesota only having a single Div I school for other sports is a bit of an aberration as well since most states have multiple Div I schools. Even Iowa has 4 Div I schools (UI, ISU, UNI, Drake), despite being roughly half the size in terms of overall population (MN: ~5.5 mil vs. IA: ~3.1 mil per 2016 census data). If Iowa can manage to support 4 Div I teams, it seems like MN could easily support more than 1. Based on enrollment numbers, they seem large enough to make the move considering the enrollment at UNI (~12K) is similar to UMD and smaller than that of SCSU or MSU-Mankato, while Drake is ~5K, significantly smaller than each of them.

< Message edited by bgdavis -- 9/11/2017 9:43:57 AM >

Heimdall kept the “ringing” horn, Gjallarhorn, which could be heard throughout heaven, earth, and the lower world; he would sound the horn to summon the gods when their enemies drew near.
(Norse mythology)
Post #: 5
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 9/11/2017 9:47:41 AM   
SoMnFan

I'm a NSIC guy too.
Love seeing schools like our SMSU finally consistently beating the big boys
Back when I played, the St Clouds and mankatos were wayyyyy out of reach for SMSU.
Times they have a-changed. In a good way.
Post #: 6
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 9/11/2017 10:24:17 AM   
bgdavis

Feel free to start up threads for the other NSIC schools. I'm sure each has some great news to share.

(Norse mythology)
Post #: 7
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 9/17/2017 3:20:16 PM   
bgdavis

Shane Zylstra had a huge game (8 catches for 204 yds and 3 TDs) in Mavericks win over UMD
http://www.mankatofreepress.com/sports/against-umd-mavericks-zylstra-prove-bigger-is-better/article_a306c4ca-9b4c-11e7-a8af-7ba3d3e88e85.html
http://www.msumavericks.com/news/2017/9/16/football-gunn-and-zylstra-push-8-mavericks-past-20-bulldogs.aspx

< Message edited by bgdavis -- 9/17/2017 3:23:42 PM >

(Norse mythology)
Post #: 8
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 9/18/2017 10:40:03 AM   
SoMnFan

Beating UMD is always a keeper win.
Post #: 9
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 9/18/2017 9:28:25 PM   
bgdavis

Especially @UMD. Their home record of 55-6 since 2008 is incredible. I wonder ihow many Div 1 or 2 teams actually top that. It can't be many, if any.

(Norse mythology)
Post #: 10
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 9/18/2017 10:08:13 PM   
bgdavis

The NSIC concludes the North/South phase of its schedule this week, and thus far, the NSIC South seems to be the stronger half of the division with three 3-0 teams, four with a 2-1 record and one with 1-2. By comparison, the NSIC North has no undefeated teams, only one at 2-1, four at 1-2 and 3 at 0-3. Based on the current records and team stats, these could be some of the key NSIC South match-ups in the upcoming season:

Sept 30th:
Upper IA @ Winona St
Sioux Falls @ SW St

Oct 7th:
Winona St @ Sioux Falls

Oct 14th:
MSU-Mankato @ Upper IA

Oct 19th:
MSU-Mankato @ SW St

Oct 28th:
Winona St @ MSU-Mankato
SW St @ Upper IA

Nov 4th:
Sioux Falls @ Upper IA
Winona St @ SW St

Nov 11th:
MSU-Mankato @ Sioux Falls

(Norse mythology)
Post #: 11
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 9/20/2017 10:40:25 AM   
SoMnFan

Hey! Someone else remembers my school as SW State.
Post #: 12
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 9/20/2017 11:48:34 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Hey! Someone else remembers my school as SW State.

That's how I remember it too. My wife's basketball team would take the big trip from Crookston to Marshall every season. Seemed to be a world away at that time. Now it's just down the road.

The college became Southwest State University (SSU) on August 1, 1975, and kept that name for nearly thirty years until adopting the current name of Southwest Minnesota State University (SMSU) on July 1, 2003.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 13
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 9/20/2017 12:33:52 PM   
SoMnFan

There was also about ten years in there when it was called SSU
Post #: 14
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 9/20/2017 7:47:06 PM   
bgdavis

It should have written as SMSU, but I'm still used to when it was Southwest State. I also sometimes refer to MSU-Mankato as Mankato State since that's what it was named when I attended.

< Message edited by bgdavis -- 9/20/2017 7:48:07 PM >

(Norse mythology)
Post #: 15
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 10/5/2017 10:05:46 AM   
SoMnFan

50th anniversary celebrated last weekend at SMSU/SSU/SouthWest State
Good to see the turnout.
FB team hung with Nationally ranked Sioux falls but fell late.
Post #: 16
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 10/6/2017 10:58:52 AM   
bgdavis

Sioux Falls is tough this year. Thus far, the NSIC is looking like a 3 horse race between MSU-Mankato, Sioux Falls, and Winona State. Each is 5-0 and most of their games have been fairly lop-sided. The Sioux Falls vs. Winona State game tomorrow should be a good matchup.

(Norse mythology)
Post #: 17
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 10/7/2017 9:35:49 PM   
bgdavis

Winona State managed to win handily at Sioux Falls, 31-13, which is somewhat of a surprise. The recent polls has Sioux Falls as high as 4th in D2 football while Winona State was 17th. This was a solid win for the Warriors and with them still undefeated and some strong wins on their resume, this should move them up several spots in the D2 polls.

MSU-Mankato is the only other NSIC team that is undefeated, with a homecoming win today over Augustana 42-21. It's likely that MSU-Mankato will move up from 5th place to 4th place slot in next weeks poll with Sioux Falls dropping.

(Norse mythology)
Post #: 18
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 10/8/2017 7:40:43 AM   
SoMnFan

That result is surprising.
Hope you get them.
SFalls didn't impress here, did just enough to get the win.
Post #: 19
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 10/13/2017 4:39:01 PM   
bgdavis

MSU-Mankato plays at Upper Iowa tomorrow. The Peacocks usually don't get a lot of recognition, but they're 4-2 thus far and they've got a pretty solid defense (#6 in the conference in yds/gm, #1 the pass yds/gm, and #2 in sacks/gm). They're weaker against the run, which is the Mavericks strength, but this could still be a close match-up. Weather forecast for Fayette is pretty much rain all day which could lead to a very sloppy field for the 5pm kickoff. I'd actually considered driving up to see this game (~80 minute drive Cedar Rapids), but not with the storms.

The Mavericks are currently ranked 3rd in the Div II standings, and 4th in the coaches poll. Winona has climbed to 14th (13th in coaches) while Sioux Falls has fallen to 18th in both.

(Norse mythology)
Post #: 20
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 10/14/2017 9:01:34 PM   
bgdavis

So much for the weather keeping the score down. It did delay the kickoff, but wasn't a factor. The Mavs crushed the Peacocks 52-7. I figured this one would be a lot closer considering how close last year's game was at Mankato. The Mavs won that one too 33-23, but it was 26-21 with 10 mins left in the 4th quarter.

The game was televised on the 9.2 sub-channel of our local ABC station, KCRG. Unfortunately, the camera work left a lot to be desired. I've seen and done better camera work for high school games (~8 years of experience in '80s, starting with film, and later video tape), and I would expect a college game, even D2, to have better camera work.

< Message edited by bgdavis -- 10/14/2017 9:03:41 PM >

(Norse mythology)
Post #: 21
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 10/17/2017 9:46:23 AM   
bgdavis

MSU-Mankato (7-0) plays at SMSU (2-5) on Thursday night. Although their records indicate this may not be a close game, a closer look at the stats shows this could be a competitive match-up. SMSU currently leads the NSIC in passing yds/gm, while the MSU-Mankato defense is weaker against the pass (7th in yds/gm) than the run (2nd in yds/gm). On the other side, the Mavs have the league's top rushing attack, but SMSU has a stronger run defense (11th) than pass defense (15th).

For the Mustangs to win, they will need to exploit the Mavs passing defense and slow down their running attack. This is also somewhat of a trap game for Mankato, and the Mavs could be at risk of overlooking SMSU toward the possible division-crowning showdown vs. Winona next week. Another X-factor could be penalties. Thus far, the Mavs have been the most penalized team in the conference by a wide margin (avg ~9 penalties per game, 92 yds), and while it hasn't cost them a game yet, making that many mistakes is bound to hurt them eventually. By comparison, SMSU is near the middle (9th in conference) in penalties (avg ~6 per game, 52 yds).

For the Mavericks to win, they will need to stay focused and assert their offensive dominance. Thus far, few teams have been able to slow down their rushing attack which has been averaging over 323 yds per game, and over 512 total yds per game, with an average of 7.4 yds per play. On defense, they will need to step up and try to keep the SMSU passing attack in check.

The Mavericks continue to be ranked 3rd in the Div II standings, and 4th in the coaches poll. Winona has climbed to 12th (11th in coaches) while Sioux Falls has risen to 15th in both.

< Message edited by bgdavis -- 10/17/2017 9:47:36 AM >

(Norse mythology)
Post #: 22
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 10/17/2017 10:32:39 AM   
SoMnFan

SMSU is having another one of those years.
Good looking club that cannot get over the hump.
Lots of late leads and hanging with better teams, but finding ways to lose.
They're better than a 2-5 club, but probably won't figure it out by this weekend.
Good to see the Mavs having a special year. Good luck man.
Post #: 23
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 10/19/2017 8:55:39 PM   
bgdavis

Game is being streamed at https://portal.stretchinternet.com/nsic/ (click on link near bottom)

In the 3rd quarter, MSU-M leading 16-0, but SMSU was threatening to close the gap. The Mustangs drove to the 1 yd line, but got stuffed on 4th down. On the next play, the Mavs ran for an 89 yd TD. Possible 14 pt swing in 2 plays. MSU-M now leads 23-0 with about 8 mins left in the 3rd.

(Norse mythology)
Post #: 24
RE: Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks - 10/19/2017 8:57:09 PM   
bgdavis

Mavs are starting to run away with it now. Zylstra with back-to-back catches leads to another TD for MSU-Mankato. Now 30-0 with 7:50 to go in the 3rd.

(Norse mythology)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Other Sports >> Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode