Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Wrestling

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Wrestling Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Wrestling - 5/31/2021 9:43:40 AM   
TJSweens

Gable Steveson pretty much destroyed everything in his path, winning gold at the Pan Am games.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 76
RE: Gopher Wrestling - 6/2/2021 3:27:13 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Gable Steveson pretty much destroyed everything in his path, winning gold at the Pan Am games.

Unbelievable talent!!

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 77
RE: Gopher Wrestling - 6/2/2021 3:32:46 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

Unbelievable talent!!

I think he is even better than Brock was at this point.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 78
RE: Gopher Wrestling - 6/3/2021 1:59:47 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

Unbelievable talent!!

I think he is even better than Brock was at this point.

Without Question better than Brock. Brock would grind his opponent down with sheer strength and size. Gable has both, but also has super quickness and technique.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 79
RE: Gopher Wrestling - 6/3/2021 2:02:36 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

he beat this guy 10-0 in 29 seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc28wlhUMus
10-0 in 18 seconds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R9pm9dEP-Q
This guy took 40 whole seconds. Gable was way off his game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dCX6n7ZNdI

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 6/3/2021 2:07:03 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 80
RE: Gopher Wrestling - 6/22/2021 3:39:21 PM   
kgdabom

Olympics are one month away. Come on Gable.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 81
RE: Gopher Wrestling - 7/26/2021 12:14:35 PM   
kgdabom

Nice article on Gable in the Boston Globe.

First stop for Gable Steveson? The Olympics. Next stop? WWE
By CLIFF BRUNT The Associated Press,Updated July 24, 2021, 10:56 a.m.

Gable Steveson.
Gable Steveson.JEFF ROBERSON/ASSOCIATED PRESS
Gable Steveson loves to put on a show — during and after his biggest matches.

Moments after he won at the US Olympic trials at 125 kilograms to qualify for the Tokyo Games, he was taking down the strap on his singlet when he heard the crowd chanting.

“Backflip! Backflip!”

Steveson had celebrated wins with backflips before — quite a feat for a man who weighs about 275 pounds. And though he was drained after qualifying for his first Olympics, he couldn’t help himself. The man who aspires to be a World Wrestling Entertainment superstar like his mentor, Brock Lesnar, had to deliver.

“So, I just pulled the strap up and I was like, ‘Forget it, let’s go.’” he said. “I just did the flip, and now everybody requests it everywhere I go. And it’s like my trademark. Like, people are waiting for me to do a flip. And who knows when the next one will be.”

Get Tokyo Summer Olympics in your inbox
Daily results, deep analysis, and interesting features from the Tokyo Summer Olympics.
Enter Email
example@email.com
Steveson, 21, hopes to transfer that swagger into becoming one of wrestling’s youngest US Olympic gold medalists. He wants that stage to help launch a career in WWE. Eventually, he hopes to cross over into movies like former WWE star Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson.

“You can see that when the lights get bright, Gable comes to perform,” he said. “And I think that’s number one with me. And I think that’s what people can expect with me wherever I go.”

Steveson's stardom was seemingly planned. His mother named him Gable Dan — after wrestling icon Dan Gable. Gable was a two-time national champion wrestler at Iowa State and an Olympic gold medalist in 1972.

Steveson, who is from Apple Valley, Minnesota, said Gable’s name was known around the area.

“My mom didn’t have a name for me yet, and she kept hearing the name Dan Gable, and Dan Gable’s like a wrestling legend to us,” Steveson said. “He’s one of the best to do it. And she kept hearing his name over and over.”

Steveson has handled the pressure that comes with having that name in the sport. He followed in Lesnar’s footsteps by winning a national championship as a heavyweight for the University of Minnesota. He was the Dan Hodge Trophy winner as the nation’s best college wrestler after a 17-0 season. Then he won the Olympic trials. Now, he could add to his resume in Tokyo.

But for all the showmanship, Steveson is most special on the mat. He has the expected power of a big man but possesses unusual quickness and agility for a someone his size, allowing him to wrestle differently than most of his opponents.

“Seeing his athleticism and speed, his quickness, his positioning, the way he can turn and create angles — you don’t really see that at heavyweight,” fellow US Olympian Kyle Dake said. “Most of the time, it’s big, strong heavyweights, push, push, push and, you know, they kind of win by having the stronger defense and not making mistakes. Gable’s going out there to wrestle and wrestle a bunch of positions.”

Steveson’s star is rising rapidly. He was photographed with WWE star Roman Reigns and his manager, Paul Heyman, at this year’s WrestleMania — an event Steveson calls the Super Bowl of professional wrestling. He threw out the first pitch at a Minnesota Twins game on June 11. And he said he's getting used to kids wanting his autograph when he goes to the grocery store.

But he wants to keep things in perspective. In his path to win gold is Turkey’s Taha Akgul — the 2016 Olympic gold medalist. Steveson quoted another WWE icon — “Nature Boy” Ric Flair — when describing what might be ahead.

“He’s the man,” Steveson said. “To be the man, you’ve got to beat the man.”

Steveson said Geno Petriashvili of Georgia also is a dangerous opponent who is “just as good” as Akgul. Petriashvili defeated Akgul to win the world championship in 2019 and is the No. 1 seed.

“It is the Olympic Games,” Steveson said. “Everybody is good. Things can happen. And I’m coming for that gold medal, obviously, just like they are. So it’s going to be a battle.”

Only one Freestyle Wrestler from the USA is seeded in the top 4 and it's not Gable. He's just going to have to prove the seedings wrong.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 7/26/2021 12:18:15 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 82
RE: Gopher Wrestling - 7/28/2021 9:15:09 PM   
kgdabom

Gable is unseeded for the Olympics so he could potentially get the favorite in round one. He won't have an easy road to winning this.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 83
RE: Gopher Wrestling - 8/4/2021 10:21:18 AM   
kgdabom

Gable's first match will be tonight at 9 PM Minnesota time. Find out more at this link.
https://go.teamusa.org/3zYQ0wt

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 84
RE: Gopher Wrestling - 8/5/2021 3:15:35 AM   
kgdabom

Steveson wins two matches tonight advancing to the Semifinals. Including beating the #2 seed and IIRC former olympic gold medalist Taha Akgul of Turkey.

CHIBA, Japan, Aug 5 (Reuters) - Gable Steveson stunned Rio Games champion Taha Akgul of Turkey in the quarter-finals of the men's freestyle super heavyweight category on Thursday, the U.S. wrestler advancing with an 8-0 victory.

Steveson led 2-0 at the end of the first period with a takedown. He went 4-0 up after the break with a double leg takedown before moving further ahead with two more points-scoring moves.

Akgul made no effort to claw back the deficit as the clock ticked down as Steveson jogged around the mat in the final seconds knowing victory was in the bag.

The 21-year-old American has yet to concede a point in Tokyo having beaten former Asian champion Aiaal Lazarev of Kyrgyzstan with a 10-0 victory by technical superiority after five takedowns in the first period.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 85
RE: Gopher Wrestling - 8/5/2021 9:11:01 AM   
kgdabom

10-0 first match
8-0 over reigning Olympic Gold Medalist Akgul
5-0 in Semifinals

Gets #1 seed Petriashvili in the final.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/5/2021 9:35:14 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 86
RE: Gopher Wrestling - 8/5/2021 9:32:29 AM   
kgdabom

MINNEAPOLIS - If there was any uncertainty about Gable Steveson's ability on a worldwide stage before these Olympic Games, those doubts have been all but eliminated after Steveson passed his first Olympic test with flying colors, going 3-0 on the day and outscoring his opponents 23-0.

Starting in the Round of 16, Steveson squared off against Aiaal Lazerev of Kyrgyzstan for Olympic debut match, dominating from start to finish by scoring five quick takedowns to secure a 10-0 victory via technical superiority in just under two minutes.

The win set up a showdown in the quarterfinals with an opponent who was expected to be one of Gable's largest tests of the tournament: Taha Akgul (Turkey), a two-time World champion, and the reigning Olympic gold medalist. However, instead of the narrow contest that was expected, again it was Gable who rolled towards another dominant victory.

Steveson secured the first takedown of the contest early in the first period to go up 2-0, and continued to put the pressure on after the break with three more takedowns in the second period, including two takedowns off reattacks from Akgul shots, to run away with the 8-0 win.

After the intermission between sessions, Steveson would return to Makuhari Messe Hall for a early Thursday morning showdown against Lkhagvagerel Munkhtur of Mongolia, with a trip to the gold medal match on the line. Once more it was Gable controlling the tempo, and while Munkhtur showed respectable defense against Steveson's constant attacks, the Apple Valley, Minn., proved to be too much, converting two takedowns as well as obtaining a shot clock point to earn a 5-0 victory.

On the top side of the bracket Geno Petriashvili of Georgia became the second 125-kilogram finalist after he came from behind against Iran's Amir Hossein Zare in the semifinals to win 6-3.

Now, all roads lead to a clash of giants between Steveson and Petriashvili, with both men having something to prove. Petriashvili, the three-time World champion, will try to get over the hump and finally earn himself an Olympic gold after getting bronze at the 2016 Rio Olympics. On the other hand, Steveson will once again look to prove how far ahead he is from the field and cement himself as one of the most dominant wrestlers in the world.

The session for all 125-kilogram medal matches will take place on Friday, August 6 at 4:15 A.M CST and will be live on The Olympic Channel or NBCOlympics.com.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 87
RE: Gopher Wrestling - 8/5/2021 9:33:47 AM   
TJSweens

That was impressive to say the least. Steveson wasn't even challenged last night. Nobody could score on him. It was just a matter of how hard they could make him work for his points. The first poor slob looked like he didn't know what hit him. Major decision, barely 2 minutes into the match.

Post #: 88
RE: Gopher Wrestling - 8/5/2021 9:38:36 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

That was impressive to say the least. Steveson wasn't even challenged last night. Nobody could score on him. It was just a matter of how hard they could make him work for his points. The first poor slob looked like he didn't know what hit him. Major decision, barely 2 minutes into the match.

I was debating with a guy on YouTube who claimed that a bronze medal would be a tremendous accomplishment for Steveson and the best he could possibly do. Guy said no way could Steveson win vs Akgul 8-0 LOL. No way he could beat Petriashvili. One match to go. Other than Steveson this guy is the best in the world. It could be close.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 89
RE: Gopher Wrestling - 8/5/2021 9:55:26 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

I was debating with a guy on YouTube who claimed that a bronze medal would be a tremendous accomplishment for Steveson and the best he could possibly do. Guy said no way could Steveson win vs Akgul 8-0 LOL. No way he could beat Petriashvili. One match to go. Other than Steveson this guy is the best in the world. It could be close.

The announcer described it best last night when he said that it used to be that the heavyweight matches were the times you would go to the concession stand because they were so boring and that Steveson ushers in a whole new age of heavyweight.

Post #: 90
RE: Gopher Wrestling - 8/5/2021 10:01:31 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

The announcer described it best last night when he said that it used to be that the heavyweight matches were the times you would go to the concession stand because they were so boring and that Steveson ushers in a whole new age of heavyweight.

The backflips are also fun as hell.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 91
RE: Gopher Wrestling - 8/5/2021 10:09:17 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The backflips are also fun as hell.

You don't see many guys at 285 lbs do a back hand spring, back tuck combination.

Previously, the heavyweights were a couple of massive brutes who would lean on each other and grunt their way through 6 minutes. The scores were usually in the 2-1 to 4-2 range with a lot of the points coming from driving each other out of bounds. Then the class started to slowly get more athletic. Steveson is the current apex of that trend. He is as big and strong as anyone in the weight class, but there is nobody else in that class even close to his level of speed and athletic ability IMO.

Post #: 92
RE: Gopher Wrestling - 8/5/2021 10:43:26 AM   
kgdabom

If Steveson can dominate this final match for the Gold he has to be considered one of the best Heavyweights ever.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 93
RE: Gopher Wrestling - 8/6/2021 7:30:22 AM   
TJSweens

Steveson wins gold 10-8.

Post #: 94
RE: Gopher Wrestling - 8/6/2021 7:56:53 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Steveson wins gold 10-8.

Yep it sure wasn't easy, but he did it. I tried to watch, but I couldn't get the match to come in so I had to rely on the news for the result. First report I found.

Gable Steveson wins gold in the Tokyo Olympics
The Gopher looked good heading into the men's 125kg freestyle match, and at the last second he was able to secure a win.

Author: Diane Sandberg (KARE11)
Published: 6:50 AM CDT August 6, 2021
Updated: 7:52 AM CDT August 6, 2021
Facebook Twitter
MINNEAPOLIS — Early Friday morning, the University of Minnesota's own Gable Steveson was on the mat competing for a medal in the Tokyo Olympics.

Taking on Geno Petriashvili of Georgia, Steveson was guaranteed either silver or gold.

As the lights came up on the men's freestyle 125kg wrestling final, Steveson had already defeated Aiaal Lazarev of Kyrgyzstan, 10-0, and Taha Akgul of Turkey, 8-0. Those victories in preliminary rounds was followed by a solid 5-0 win over Lkhagvagerel Munkhtur of Mongolia in the semifinals Thursday.

We’re at The U of M with family, friends and @GopherWrestling teammates to watch @GableSteveson go for gold! We’re live on @kare11 Sunrise in a few minutes. pic.twitter.com/LV3lwp8kh4

— Dave Schwartz (@Dave_Schwartz) August 6, 2021
Friday morning a group of friends and family gathered in the Bierman Athletic Facility at the University of Minnesota to cheer Steveson on.

Here we go! Gold medal match for Gable Steveson. @kare11 pic.twitter.com/j9HBS4BXMn

The match was a close one, and Petriashvili took Steveson to his back two times during the match, but Steveson would not stay down.

It went to the final seconds, but Steveson was able to pull off a gold medal victory. Despite a challenge from the Georgian athlete, Steveson was declared the winner, 9-8.

Another gold medal is coming home to Minnesota!

He did it! @GableSteveson wins GOLD with just seconds left in the match. His friends and family erupt! @kare11 pic.twitter.com/rhzYO52LSK

WHAT JUST HAPPENED! 🥇@GableSteveson grabs the GOLD as time expires. #TokyoOlympics pic.twitter.com/yqMc3wbXsu

— #TokyoOlympics (@NBCOlympics) August 6, 2021

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 95
RE: Gopher Wrestling - 8/6/2021 8:01:01 AM   
kgdabom

He got the winning take down in the very final second.
https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1423619928024825859?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 96
RE: Gopher Wrestling - 8/6/2021 10:25:52 AM   
TJSweens

Two take downs in the last 10 seconds. Incredible.

Post #: 97
RE: Gopher Wrestling - 8/6/2021 10:45:27 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

He went from a loss to a tie to a win. His opponent was out of gas. I get the impression that if he hadn't got the final TD he may have lost on some tiebreaker. I'm just guessing though.

This was a very close match, but consider all the experience of the opponent. If Gable Continues wrestling I bet he takes him down with relative ease next time.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/6/2021 10:47:01 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 98
RE: Gopher Wrestling - 8/6/2021 11:06:10 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

He went from a loss to a tie to a win. His opponent was out of gas. I get the impression that if he hadn't got the final TD he may have lost on some tiebreaker. I'm just guessing though.

This was a very close match, but consider all the experience of the opponent. If Gable Continues wrestling I bet he takes him down with relative ease next time.

He would have lost. It was 7-8 when he got the take down.

Post #: 99
RE: Gopher Wrestling - 8/6/2021 7:00:50 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

He would have lost. It was 7-8 when he got the take down.

Yeah. I heard the final score reported as 10-8 so I thought it was a tie, but he was behind 8-7. He fell behind 8-5 with with a stoppage at 13 seconds. He got the first takedown with 6.5 seconds remaining. The chances of coming back from that are extremely slim to none. Here's video of the match. Gable actually took a 4-0 lead before Geno rolled him a couple times in the second period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSXPmihrX3c

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 8/6/2021 8:03:48 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Wrestling Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode