Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Free Agency 2020

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2020 Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/10/2020 7:37:42 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I wanted 3 WRs drafted in the 1st round when the Vikes had ZERO WRs, hoping they might hit on 1 or 2.

The Vikes had 2 good ones, now they have 1, although Bisi seems to have potential.

If the Vikes can draft 1 good WR, get one that is comparable to Diggs, in a WR rich draft, it will appear to be a great move trading Diggs. And even better if they draft some of other great players on top of it.

Bisi does not have potential. Mitchell has potential. I want one WR 1-2 round pick and a second maybe 3-5 rounds depending on value.

7th round pick kg...until he proves even a little----Bisi, Thielen, Beebe, and Hollins are above him on the depth chart...not promising.

True. Looking quite not promising. Maybe whoever drafts Herbert will claim him off our PS and that will be the start of one of the most prolific tandems in NFL history.

Lol....there are tons of guys that are that good in college. Seems there are 20 WR in the draft this year with better stats than Mitchell had. I don't see why you are stuck on him.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 826
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/10/2020 8:41:17 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wanted 3 WRs drafted in the 1st round when the Vikes had ZERO WRs, hoping they might hit on 1 or 2.

The Vikes had 2 good ones, now they have 1, although Bisi seems to have potential.

If the Vikes can draft 1 good WR, get one that is comparable to Diggs, in a WR rich draft, it will appear to be a great move trading Diggs. And even better if they draft some of other great players on top of it.

Bisi does not have potential. Mitchell has potential. I want one WR 1-2 round pick and a second maybe 3-5 rounds depending on value.

7th round pick kg...until he proves even a little----Bisi, Thielen, Beebe, and Hollins are above him on the depth chart...not promising.

True. Looking quite not promising. Maybe whoever drafts Herbert will claim him off our PS and that will be the start of one of the most prolific tandems in NFL history.

Lol....there are tons of guys that are that good in college. Seems there are 20 WR in the draft this year with better stats than Mitchell had. I don't see why you are stuck on him.

I saw him play. I'm not expecting anything to change. Looks like Mitchell will be a 7th round bust.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 827
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/10/2020 10:09:30 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I saw him play. I'm not expecting anything to change. Looks like Mitchell will be a 7th round bust.

??? there isn't a 7th round bust. They aren't supposed to stick. Using low picks on Bisi and Mitchell was a great plan.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 828
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/10/2020 11:01:18 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

??? there isn't a 7th round bust. They aren't supposed to stick. Using low picks on Bisi and Mitchell was a great plan.

I was going for Irony or something like that.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 829
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/10/2020 5:52:06 PM   
Pager

I would bring him back on a 1 yr - 4M deal with incentives.

https://thevikingage.com/2020/04/10/everson-griffen-minnesota-vikings-possible-return/

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 830
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/10/2020 6:32:57 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

https://thevikingage.com/2020/04/10/everson-griffen-minnesota-vikings-possible-return/

He’d probably let you kick him in the balls first.
Post #: 831
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/10/2020 7:17:51 PM   
Bruce Johnson

As stated in the article shared by Courtney Cronin rookie Olinemen need offseason training more than any other group. The Vikings interest in Trent probably has something to do with this. I feel he's going to be the LT in a draft trade. This frees them up to go WR and CB rd1

(Vikings Spin on Twitter)

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 832
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/11/2020 8:48:00 AM   
Chris Olson

quote:

I'd welcome him back...but he won't be that cheap

Seems like the Covid issues are making it tough for teams to get a good assessment of him and getting no bites...

Would help a ton to take him back for continuity as well as being a known commodity versus a potential draft bust

hadn't seen this article, didn't really know the full story about the sober house and all...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001109048/article/free-agent-everson-griffen-says-2018-incident-changed-his-life
Post #: 833
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/11/2020 8:53:48 AM   
Bill Jandro

I think the mental breakdown thing is more than likely why Griff is not going to get big money nor any kind of long term deal.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 834
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/11/2020 8:55:05 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Olson

quote:

Seems like the Covid issues are making it tough for teams to get a good assessment of him and getting no bites...

Would help a ton to take him back for continuity as well as being a known commodity versus a potential draft bust

hadn't seen this article, didn't really know the full story about the sober house and all...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001109048/article/free-agent-everson-griffen-says-2018-incident-changed-his-life

After draft, his suitors will really be diminished.

Maybe this is our time to make an improved offer to him.

3 yr 18M, 4M signing bonus, 1st yr. base salary 2M. cap hit 3.33M.

Basically a 1r. 6m deal if we release him after this year. Some dead money but not terrible.
Post #: 835
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/11/2020 9:37:46 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I'm good for Griffen returning if it is close to backup pay.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 836
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/11/2020 10:47:20 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I see Griffen at minimum $8 Million a year.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 837
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/11/2020 11:37:23 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

4 mill yes. 8 mill no. (for me)

Post #: 838
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/11/2020 11:57:15 AM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Olson

quote:

What assessment do teams need of him? They've got a decade of tape including last year. Can't imagine what happened in 2018 isn't shared/common knowledge.

The market for DE's is lower than Clowney and Griffith were expecting. I think it keeps dropping the longer they go unsigned.

Post #: 839
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/11/2020 12:17:58 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bruce $4 million is the price of bums. Griffen is still well above the bum level. He's better than Mac Alexander who people thought was a bargain at $4 million. Te me he is better than Trae Waynes who got $14 million a year.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 840
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/11/2020 12:39:41 PM   
Chris Olson

I think Griff gets close to that 8 mil...it might be a one year deal, but he didn't fall off last year, we just rotated more...

I'm not clear on his contract...I thought I read that HE voided the rest of his contract with Minnesota...I assume thinking he will get one last payday

Too bad...would definitely take him back on a cap friendly deal
Post #: 841
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/11/2020 1:55:21 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bruce $4 million is the price of bums. Griffen is still well above the bum level. He's better than Mac Alexander who people thought was a bargain at $4 million. Te me he is better than Trae Waynes who got $14 million a year.

He's 32 now with a history of mental health issues. I don't know if his play will drop off the table this year, but I am one to cut a player earlier than later. (ie. the Patriots) We'll see what happens. I don't see him as a starter on our team anymore so I'm looking at backup money. Backups make 4 mill if they are good backups.

Post #: 842
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/11/2020 2:11:35 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He's 32 now with a history of mental health issues. I don't know if his play will drop off the table this year, but I am one to cut a player earlier than later. (ie. the Patriots) We'll see what happens. I don't see him as a starter on our team anymore so I'm looking at backup money. Backups make 4 mill if they are good backups.

He's still better than Odin Bigo. He's considered the 2nd best DE available on the FA Market. Somebody's going to offer $8 million I would think.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 843
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/11/2020 2:18:08 PM   
Bill Jandro

Thing is that the money is drying up.

Clowney wants a 20ml per deal and is delusional.

I have to side with Bruce. 4ml on a one year deal. Robison took less at about the same age/point in his career.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 844
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/11/2020 4:27:30 PM   
Tom Sykes

Robison wasn't even a starter his last year. 3 of his last 4 seasons as a starter were 5 sacks or less ... he retired at 35 ... so of course he took less. He was hanging on.

Griffen had 13S in 2017, went 'off' in 2018 and still had 5.5 sacks (starting 10 games), and then had 8 last year. Griffen is still a legitimate starter (Clowney had 3S last year in 11 GS).

4M is not going to happen, I don't think. Maybe 8M as some have said.

Now to me, 4K is big money much less 4M ... but to a starting LDE with one odd year out of a solid career, 4M would be a slap to the face and would mean accepting that your career as a starter is over.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I just can't see a Griffen contract with us not getting in the way of helping other positions and the cap in general.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 4/11/2020 5:14:13 PM >
Post #: 845
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/11/2020 5:17:34 PM   
Pager

After the draft is a second wave of cuts and bargain shopping. I expect his value/price to go down the longer he goes unsigned.

It it possible or even probable that he signs for 8M or more? Sure - it only takes one GM. I thought Griff played well the first half of the season and trailed off noticeably. He logged 1 sack in the last 4 games (excluding playoffs) and was completely shut out in the SEA game while playing 60% of the snaps (no tackles, sacks, assists, etc)

If he is resigned, DE becomes much less a need and you can address other needs better through the draft. For me though, a 4M deal with incentives that get him up to 6-7M is all I do.

Post #: 846
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/11/2020 7:45:28 PM   
Bill Johanesen

He was the one that left. He can eat millions in humble pie and sign for $4 M. Otherwise, platoon Ogenibigo and Zettel.

Edit: don't resign him at 32.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 4/11/2020 7:50:24 PM >
Post #: 847
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/11/2020 7:49:39 PM   
Bill Johanesen

He's 32. You hang on, hang on. Then the tank drains overnight and nobody with any experience is left on the roster. So the position becomes a draft need along with too many other needs.

Meanwhile, other teams bank that the upswing of the backup will lead to him equaling, then surpassing, the productivity of the downward skidding vet.
Post #: 848
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/11/2020 8:57:53 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

He's 32. You hang on, hang on. Then the tank drains overnight and nobody with any experience is left on the roster. So the position becomes a draft need along with too many other needs.

Meanwhile, other teams bank that the upswing of the backup will lead to him equaling, then surpassing, the productivity of the downward skidding vet.

That's where I am at. I believe Odenigbo will be better than Griffen in 2020. (not 2019) You always have to be forward looking. Actually, I'm not so sure Odenigbo wasn't better last year already. He was making plays with less reps. Regardless, Griffen is not worth an extra 8 million to a team that is salary cap strapped.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 4/11/2020 8:58:56 PM >

Post #: 849
RE: Free Agency 2020 - 4/11/2020 10:27:11 PM   
beo

quote:

After the draft is a second wave of cuts and bargain shopping. I expect his value/price to go down the longer he goes unsigned.

It it possible or even probable that he signs for 8M or more? Sure - it only takes one GM. I thought Griff played well the first half of the season and trailed off noticeably. He logged 1 sack in the last 4 games (excluding playoffs) and was completely shut out in the SEA game while playing 60% of the snaps (no tackles, sacks, assists, etc)

If he is resigned, DE becomes much less a need and you can address other needs better through the draft. For me though, a 4M deal with incentives that get him up to 6-7M is all I do.

I don't think he gets 8 mil at this point.
And I do think he has faded a bit in the 2nd half of the season the last couple of years.
But watch the Saints playoff game... he was really really good.
Very torn on Griffs value.
Love him as a Viking.
Post #: 850
Page:   <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2020 Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode