Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 3/3/2021 6:32:22 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

My mom called today and said Grandma is in the hospital. Her legs were too weak to get around her apartment. Her oxygen levels are low. Mom says the best case scenario at this point is that she's able to survive and live in the nursing home. She'll turn 92 in mid-March. She's been a tough old bird too, so hoping she can recover.

Best wishes Matt. Seems to be a lot of this going around. Bah.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 26
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 3/3/2021 9:19:21 PM   
bstinger

quote:

My mom called today and said Grandma is in the hospital. Her legs were too weak to get around her apartment. Her oxygen levels are low. Mom says the best case scenario at this point is that she's able to survive and live in the nursing home. She'll turn 92 in mid-March. She's been a tough old bird too, so hoping she can recover.

Best wishes for her and your family Matt. Super cool though that she made it that long on her own.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 27
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 3/4/2021 8:24:11 AM   
TJSweens

Matt, I hope your grandma pulls through. Giving up that measure of independence will be hard for her, but she will still have her family around her. All the best.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 28
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 3/5/2021 11:46:10 AM   
twinsfan

Thanks all!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 29
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 3/5/2021 11:47:17 AM   
twinsfan

Creighton head basketball coach suspended indefinitely for saying he needs his players to stay on the plantation. Yikes! At least he's owning it.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 30
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 3/5/2021 12:55:07 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

Creighton head basketball coach suspended indefinitely for saying he needs his players to stay on the plantation. Yikes! At least he's owning it.

Not words I would use but I also don't think its beyond awful and worthy of anything detrimental.

If a black coach said that to his team this wouldn't even be a story. Today's music is full of lyrics that are beyond cringe worthy.

If certain groups can use certain words and certain groups can't who gets to make the rules? Public opinion of the day? Do we vote on it? Or is it whoever is yelling the loudest on social media that get to decide?

< Message edited by ronhextall -- 3/5/2021 12:56:25 PM >
Post #: 31
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 3/5/2021 12:58:22 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

Not words I would use but I also don't think its beyond awful and worthy of anything detrimental.

If a black coach said that to his team this wouldn't even be a story. Today's music is full of lyrics that are beyond cringe worthy.

If certain groups can use certain words and certain groups can't who gets to make the rules? Public opinion of the day? Do we vote on it? Or is it whoever is yelling the loudest on social media that get to decide?

I get what you're saying, but what if a black coach with a team full of Jewish players said "We gotta keep you all in this concentration camp." I think he would rightly receive similar backlash as the Creighton coach.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 32
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 3/5/2021 1:10:58 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

quote:

quote:

I get what you're saying, but what if a black coach with a team full of Jewish players said "We gotta keep you all in this concentration camp." I think he would rightly receive similar backlash as the Creighton coach.

Dole has a pineapple plantation in Hawaii, in fact the website is www.doleplantaion.com The official definition of 'plantation' compared to 'concentration camp' are not remotely on the same level of the evil scale.

I don't think the comparison is equal.
Post #: 33
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 3/6/2021 1:29:18 AM   
McMurfy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dole has a pineapple plantation in Hawaii, in fact the website is www.doleplantaion.com The official definition of 'plantation' compared to 'concentration camp' are not remotely on the same level of the evil scale.

I don't think the comparison is equal.

I beg to differ,

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 34
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 3/6/2021 8:54:14 AM   
twinsfan

Murf, you liked my hypothetical?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 35
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 3/7/2021 10:22:42 AM   
TJSweens

At about 4 PM yesterday Ma Sweens departed this mortal coil. I miss her already, but I am most grateful to have this tiny force.of nature in my life for 62 years.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 36
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 3/7/2021 11:58:48 AM  1 votes
MDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

At about 4 PM yesterday Ma Sweens departed this mortal coil. I miss her already, but I am most grateful to have this tiny force.of nature in my life for 62 years.

Sorry for your family's loss but your Grandmother lived a long and healthy life.
Celebrate the memories of her.

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 37
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 3/7/2021 1:44:07 PM   
twinsfan

Sorry to hear about your mom, Sweeney. Peace be with you and your family.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 38
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 3/7/2021 3:07:06 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Sincere and deepest condolences to you and the family Sweens. Miles nailed it. It's sad she's gone; you have a lot of great memories to celebrate. That's a long life and great amount of time you got to spend with and around her.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 39
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 3/7/2021 3:41:00 PM   
Mark Anderson

RIP Ma Sweens
Post #: 40
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 3/7/2021 7:51:29 PM   
bstinger

Sorry for your loss Sweeny. Thoughts and prayers.

--twinsfan
Post #: 41
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 3/7/2021 8:16:35 PM   
bstinger

I do have some good news to report.

My daughter moved back home today. 5 weeks to the day from when she left.

The first 3 weeks I was distraught. Then, 2 Sundays ago, we drove down and talked to her and she agreed to move back if we finished the basement bedroom for her. The next two weeks I was busier than I've ever been.

One challenge was that we were using that room for storage. When my dad moved out of his apartment into assisted living, a lot of his excess stuff landed there. Then my mother in law passed away in December and some of her stuff ended up there. We had to find spots for all that stuff before we could get to work. My wife and I worked hard to prime, paint, lay flooring, and do all the trim work, and install the closet organizer. We still have to put the closet doors on but they need to be painted.

She's very happy with the room. Now she'll have a little space. Hopefully we can repair the relationship and have a good time until she goes off to college in the fall.

Also got some good news from the U of M last week. She received 4,000 per year in scholarships. Hoping for many more.

--twinsfan
Post #: 42
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 3/7/2021 9:12:12 PM   
Steve Lentz

Thoughts and prayers to the Sweeney Family.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 43
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 3/7/2021 9:22:57 PM   
Steve Lentz

Happy for the Stinger Family!!

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 44
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 3/7/2021 10:01:16 PM   
Mr. Ed

Good News BSting all around. Glad to hear it.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 45
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 3/8/2021 7:07:17 AM   
Brad H

quote:

Dang man, sorry to hear that.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 46
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 3/8/2021 8:29:43 AM   
Phil Riewer

Sorry to hear it Sweens

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 47
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 3/8/2021 8:30:22 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

I do have some good news to report.

My daughter moved back home today. 5 weeks to the day from when she left.

The first 3 weeks I was distraught. Then, 2 Sundays ago, we drove down and talked to her and she agreed to move back if we finished the basement bedroom for her. The next two weeks I was busier than I've ever been.

One challenge was that we were using that room for storage. When my dad moved out of his apartment into assisted living, a lot of his excess stuff landed there. Then my mother in law passed away in December and some of her stuff ended up there. We had to find spots for all that stuff before we could get to work. My wife and I worked hard to prime, paint, lay flooring, and do all the trim work, and install the closet organizer. We still have to put the closet doors on but they need to be painted.

She's very happy with the room. Now she'll have a little space. Hopefully we can repair the relationship and have a good time until she goes off to college in the fall.

Also got some good news from the U of M last week. She received 4,000 per year in scholarships. Hoping for many more.

Great News Stinger!!

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 48
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 3/8/2021 4:42:36 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

I don’t get in here often..

Sweens, my condolences..

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 3/12/2021 4:08:37 PM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 49
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 3/9/2021 8:49:00 PM   
TJSweens

Thanks for the kind words and support everybody. I'm really at peace with it. She lived a good life for102 years and on her own terms. It means a lot to me that I was the one with her when she went. My sister and I had been alternating shifts for over a week.

Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode