Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 5/14/2021 11:28:42 AM   
Lynn G.

Kerry's family is in my thoughts. WAY too young to die.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 76
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 5/14/2021 11:37:47 AM   
Lynn G.

I'll give a hint about the ending of this story by saying that it's a baseball story.

My mom grew up in the tiny town of Cass Lake, Minnesota (about 13 miles south of Bemidji to orient you). In those days the town was kind of idyllic because it was resort-oriented given its setting on beautiful Cass Lake. A fisherman's dream lake.

When she was a teenager, my mom was in the class play at Cass Lake High School and one of the tasks for people working on the play was to sell tickets. Armed with a program, so people could see what the play was about and which town members were acting in it, she brought a stack of tickets to one of the local cafe's. At one table sat one of the locals, and with him was an old friend who was in town to visit the friend and to get some fishing in.

As my mom told the story, when she approached the table she held out the program and started in on her spiel, but the visiting man simply took the program out of her hands, signed his name on it, and handed it back.

My mom said she didn't know what to do. Not only did she not get to make her pitch to sell tickets, but the guy had written on her program! She was incensed, but for some reason felt compelled to keep the program. It was a few years later that she realized that she had a pretty nice little keepsake.

I'm not going to reveal yet who it was who thought she was looking for an autograph. My mom was born in 1929, so that will give you a sense of the timing. She was probably 16 or 17 at the time of this event.

Who do you think gave her his autograph that day?

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 77
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 5/14/2021 11:47:34 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

I'll give a hint about the ending of this story by saying that it's a baseball story.

My mom grew up in the tiny town of Cass Lake, Minnesota (about 13 miles south of Bemidji to orient you). In those days the town was kind of idyllic because it was resort-oriented given its setting on beautiful Cass Lake. A fisherman's dream lake.

When she was a teenager, my mom was in the class play at Cass Lake High School and one of the tasks for people working on the play was to sell tickets. Armed with a program, so people could see what the play was about and which town members were acting in it, she brought a stack of tickets to one of the local cafe's. At one table sat one of the locals, and with him was an old friend who was in town to visit the friend and to get some fishing in.

As my mom told the story, when she approached the table she held out the program and started in on her spiel, but the visiting man simply took the program out of her hands, signed his name on it, and handed it back.

My mom said she didn't know what to do. Not only did she not get to make her pitch to sell tickets, but the guy had written on her program! She was incensed, but for some reason felt compelled to keep the program. It was a few years later that she realized that she had a pretty nice little keepsake.

I'm not going to reveal yet who it was who thought she was looking for an autograph. My mom was born in 1929, so that will give you a sense of the timing. She was probably 16 or 17 at the time of this event.

Ted Williams?

Joe DiMaggio?

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 78
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 5/14/2021 11:50:27 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

Chief Bender

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 79
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 5/14/2021 2:10:41 PM   
twinsfan

https://www.sporcle.com/games/dlte/sports_decades_1980s#

Championship Teams of the 1980s

Try this quiz on Sporcle. Other than the two FIFA champions, I only missed one. Would be interested to see if anyone can ace it.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 80
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 5/14/2021 2:11:52 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

Chief Bender

Fred Garvin

Escape while you can!
Post #: 81
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 5/14/2021 5:56:43 PM   
Lynn G.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Ted Williams?

Joe DiMaggio?

You got it right off the bat. It was Ted Williams, who apparently was a fan of fishing in Cass Lake, MN.

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

Post #: 82
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 5/14/2021 6:04:24 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Ted Williams?

Joe DiMaggio?

You got it right off the bat. It was Ted Williams, who apparently was a fan of fishing in Cass Lake, MN.

Thumbnail Image

Very nice!!

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 83
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 5/14/2021 8:06:01 PM  1 votes
twinsfan

That's probably worth a couple thousand dollars! Awesome!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 84
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 5/15/2021 9:17:59 AM   
Lynn G.

When my mom died (and my dad had predeceased her), we divided up the interesting memorabilia they had collected. My brother got the Ted Williams signature, I got the Mickey Mantle-signed baseball. Seemed like a fair deal.

Post #: 85
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 5/15/2021 5:44:59 PM   
twinsfan

Months of the year official rankings:

May
June
August
July
September
October
April
November
March
December
February
January

< Message edited by twinsfan -- 5/15/2021 5:46:09 PM >

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 86
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 5/15/2021 5:47:55 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

When my mom died (and my dad had predeceased her), we divided up the interesting memorabilia they had collected. My brother got the Ted Williams signature, I got the Mickey Mantle-signed baseball. Seemed like a fair deal.

You have the more interesting story (and better player). I like your side of the deal.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 87
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 5/15/2021 8:26:21 PM   
twinsfan

bstinger is living the good life in Key West!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 88
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 5/17/2021 10:08:25 PM   
Mr. Ed

Senior night celebrated, Liv hit a 2 run HR and struck out 11 in an 8-2 win

As the only SR on the team, she's had her ups and downs, as has the team, but keeps battling. Coaches told the underclassmen she is a great example of how to get better as a player. That was one of the best things I've heard all season.

Currently they're 8-7. In all honesty, could be at least 10-5 if Liv had pitched better in a couple games, and she knows it. Is what it is.

They'll go as far as she can carry them. I asked her how the load is. She just shrugs and says she'll do her best and let the rest fall where it does.

Hitting .396, OBP .508 SLG .667

Walks are high, her WHIP is 1.71 but she's battled by having 40 more strikeouts than innings pitched thus far.

Games aren't always fun. My blood pressure is probably not good. But I am trying to enjoy it. 2 weeks left. Crazy.

< Message edited by Mr. Ed -- 5/17/2021 10:10:16 PM >

Escape while you can!
Post #: 89
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 5/18/2021 8:37:31 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

was he the poster suffering from ALS ?
Post #: 90
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 5/18/2021 8:39:23 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

yes

Escape while you can!
Post #: 91
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 5/18/2021 12:44:50 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

As the only SR on the team, she's had her ups and downs, as has the team, but keeps battling. Coaches told the underclassmen she is a great example of how to get better as a player. That was one of the best things I've heard all season.

Currently they're 8-7. In all honesty, could be at least 10-5 if Liv had pitched better in a couple games, and she knows it. Is what it is.

They'll go as far as she can carry them. I asked her how the load is. She just shrugs and says she'll do her best and let the rest fall where it does.

Walks are high, her WHIP is 1.71 but she's battled by having 40 more strikeouts than innings pitched thus far.

Games aren't always fun. My blood pressure is probably not good. But I am trying to enjoy it. 2 weeks left. Crazy.

What a talented all around player. Will she extend her career somewhere?

Post #: 92
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 5/18/2021 12:46:54 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

yes

Appeared to me to be a strong and kind man. New he was very sick, but seldom ever complained about it. I believe he is in a better place.

Post #: 93
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 5/18/2021 1:25:12 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

Yep

Will be at Iowa Lakes CC in the fall. The Lakers finished second in the D2 Region tournament to Des Moines Area CC 10 days ago. Her next coach was named the JUCO D2 coach of the year. Played in New Ulm.
A couple of kids Olivia competed against played there this year. A third went there and quit about 10 games into the season.

Going there was front and center until the HS season started. She has hardly talked about it outside of getting things ready for the fall. Like the not-so-cheap school meal plan. What a rip. I could get her groceries every week for a heck of a lot less. But that's campus life I guess.

She will probably play in Council Bluffs next spring when they play Iowa Western CC.

Recruiting class has 3 pitchers in it. Liv knows one of them, from Holmen WI. Has played against her and beaten her a couple times in the summer and fall.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 94
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 5/18/2021 1:53:51 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep

Will be at Iowa Lakes CC in the fall. The Lakers finished second in the D2 Region tournament to Des Moines Area CC 10 days ago. Her next coach was named the JUCO D2 coach of the year. Played in New Ulm.
A couple of kids Olivia competed against played there this year. A third went there and quit about 10 games into the season.

Going there was front and center until the HS season started. She has hardly talked about it outside of getting things ready for the fall. Like the not-so-cheap school meal plan. What a rip. I could get her groceries every week for a heck of a lot less. But that's campus life I guess.

She will probably play in Council Bluffs next spring when they play Iowa Western CC.

Recruiting class has 3 pitchers in it. Liv knows one of them, from Holmen WI. Has played against her and beaten her a couple times in the summer and fall.

I'm glad she plans on extending her career. Sounds like she can help with her bat as well. It will be an adjustment for her and a lot of hard work, but if she continues to have the love for the game she will succeed!

Post #: 95
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 5/18/2021 1:59:09 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep

I'm glad she plans on extending her career. Sounds like she can help with her bat as well. It will be an adjustment for her and a lot of hard work, but if she continues to have the love for the game she will succeed!

One more summer of travel ball, and off to lots of work, for sure. She's looking forward to living on her own(somewhat) and independence. My sister lives 30 minutes away. They get along well.

I'll be making a number of road trips. NEXT summer will be weird. For both of us.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 96
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 5/19/2021 10:12:05 PM   
bstinger

quote:

May
June
August
July
September
October
April
November
March
December
February
January

September
August
June
May
July
October
April
November
March
December
January
February

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 97
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 5/19/2021 10:17:07 PM   
bstinger

quote:

bstinger is living the good life in Key West!

Only for 1 day, on the 16th. Went Jet Skiing on rough seas. Had fun but we all got at least a little sunburnt. Wife and daughter got pretty sunburnt and didn't do much after. We stayed 2 nights on Marathon Key. We did go on a fishing trip the next morning, again on rough seas. Had to stay shallow. Caught a bunch of snapper and ate them for supper the next 3 evenings in Pompano Beach.

Heading home tomorrow after going to an Everglades Airboat ride.

It's been a very windy week in Florida affecting a lot of our plans. 15-25 with gusts in the 30's+ most of the week.

I turned 50 last Saturday and Brie graduates on Friday. It was nice to get away for the first time since right before Covid started.

< Message edited by bstinger -- 5/19/2021 10:25:53 PM >

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 98
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 5/20/2021 8:24:10 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

May
June
August
July
September
October
April
November
March
December
February
January

September
August
June
May
July
October
April
November
March
December
January
February

Flip a coin on January and February. They both suck. But I rank February slightly higher because by the end of it, you can start to see the end of the tunnel.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 99
RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter - 5/20/2021 10:08:56 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

May
June
August
July
September
October
April
November
March
December
February
January

September
August
June
May
July
October
April
November
March
December
January
February

Flip a coin on January and February. They both suck. But I rank February slightly higher because by the end of it, you can start to see the end of the tunnel.

January sucks worse because it's longer.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Idle Talk - 5th Chapter Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode