Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2021 2:35:31 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Return & Offense Weapon returning:

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2021/9/28/22699383/kene-nwangwu-could-be-making-debut-minnesota-vikings

Not sure why this is a thing. He barely played offense in four years of college and never returned punts. NFL KOs are rarely returned. Don't we already waste a roster spot on a special teams ace?

Total agreement.

What more is he going to give us on returns than ISM?

IR him for good, for godsakes ... he's a two year development project, that development coming over the offseason, not sitting at 53 sponging up a roster spot.

For a team that often has guys like Chad Beebe and Bisi Johnson on the active roster, a guy with 4.3 speed will be refreshing. I'll guess he'll be in for a screen pass in the near future.

For starters, he's a running back, not a WR. He sounds very much like Michael Bennett as a RB.

From his NFL.com draft profile:
Weaknesses
One-speed runner.
Takes forever to gather and cut on wide stretch plays.
Dances up toward the line when trying to read the front.
Lacks instincts and vision to see a move ahead.
Inside runs are missing feel for run lanes.
Drops head and finishes when moves are still available.
Clunky, mechanical footwork when cutting.
Awkward as route-runner and rarely a third-down option.

He currently sounds like a project to be a reserve RB, which is fine. Maybe he has outlier value on specific plays, but a zone RB without vision or agility seems....I don't know. He's a Viking so I'm pulling for him and hoping they saw the right things (beyond character and work ethic) that led them to believe he can be an NFL RB.

Just saying, can afford to take some chances at the bottom of the roster. Spielman (admittedly not a great judge of talent) said some nice things about his scheme fit:

“When you look at the touches that he does have [at Iowa State]…he’s a one-cut runner that fits perfectly in this scheme,” Vikings general manager Rick Spielman said after the draft. “When you’ve got a kid that’s a six-foot running back, that’s 210 pounds, and that runs a 4.31 [second time] in the 40, that kid has a chance to be pretty special.”

I know, Spielman draft talk is cheap. Nonetheless, he turned some heads at training camp, probably because he's fast.

I'm pulling for him, but it's hard to see the upside of him being available right now because there are two RBs in front of him who are actually very good. Abdullah is also good, KRs not a thing (and another rookie is handling that), doesn't do PRs...

But Chesina for sure goes, right?
Post #: 176
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2021 3:26:05 PM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2021/9/28/22699383/kene-nwangwu-could-be-making-debut-minnesota-vikings

Not sure why this is a thing. He barely played offense in four years of college and never returned punts. NFL KOs are rarely returned. Don't we already waste a roster spot on a special teams ace?

Total agreement.

IR him for good, for godsakes ... he's a two year development project, that development coming over the offseason, not sitting at 53 sponging up a roster spot.

For a team that often has guys like Chad Beebe and Bisi Johnson on the active roster, a guy with 4.3 speed will be refreshing. I'll guess he'll be in for a screen pass in the near future.

For starters, he's a running back, not a WR. He sounds very much like Michael Bennett as a RB.

Weaknesses
One-speed runner.

He currently sounds like a project to be a reserve RB, which is fine. Maybe he has outlier value on specific plays, but a zone RB without vision or agility seems....I don't know. He's a Viking so I'm pulling for him and hoping they saw the right things (beyond character and work ethic) that led them to believe he can be an NFL RB.

Just saying, can afford to take some chances at the bottom of the roster. Spielman (admittedly not a great judge of talent) said some nice things about his scheme fit:

“When you look at the touches that he does have [at Iowa State]…he’s a one-cut runner that fits perfectly in this scheme,” Vikings general manager Rick Spielman said after the draft. “When you’ve got a kid that’s a six-foot running back, that’s 210 pounds, and that runs a 4.31 [second time] in the 40, that kid has a chance to be pretty special.”

I know, Spielman draft talk is cheap. Nonetheless, he turned some heads at training camp, probably because he's fast.

I'm pulling for him, but it's hard to see the upside of him being available right now because there are two RBs in front of him who are actually very good. Abdullah is also good, KRs not a thing (and another rookie is handling that), doesn't do PRs...

But Chesina for sure goes, right?

One thing's for sure, Nwangwu looks pretty good against a defense wearing straight jackets:

https://twitter.com/PurpleForTheWin/status/1402762293662920707
Post #: 177
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2021 3:55:36 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Total agreement.

Weaknesses
One-speed runner.

I get what you’re saying, maybe I am wildly underestimating his potential.

I just wish that our roster bottom twerking was at something other than RB, where you have arguably your best (or top 3) player Cook + your arguably best back-up player Mattison + arguably your best 3rd string player Abdullah + arguably your best preseason performing developmental player Rose.
Post #: 178
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2021 4:00:06 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Run first team investing and sticking with running backs?

Shocking!!

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 179
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2021 4:15:57 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

I'm just starting to get used to it myself!

Ah, good for you!!
Post #: 180
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2021 4:28:40 PM   
Ricky J

Chad Graff @ChadGraff
5h
Mike Zimmer said he and Kirk Cousins have watched film together every week for the first time in their time together.

"I think the communication between both of us is much better," Zimmer said.

I love it!

A couple of my favorite t-shirt ideas:

- Negativity Sucks!

- Average Sucks! [with re to effort]
Post #: 181
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2021 4:43:12 PM   
ratoppenheimer

Dustin Baker@DustBaker
The Vikings are the first team in NFL history to score 85+ points in the first 3 games of a season while committing just one turnover or less -- and have a losing record to show for it.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 182
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2021 4:58:00 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

Run first team investing and sticking with running backs?

Shocking!!

Surprised, no. Drooliing with expectation no.

Plain ol’ drooling, yes.
Post #: 183
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2021 4:59:43 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

Dustin Baker@DustBaker
The Vikings are the first team in NFL history to score 85+ points in the first 3 games of a season while committing just one turnover or less -- and have a losing record to show for it.

Cool!
A consolation prize

- man, let's have a good year, Vikes! Come on God, stop being a hater!
Post #: 184
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2021 7:04:33 PM   
ambear

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

Ah, good for you!!

Went on permanent vacation a year ago and never looked back. Just completed my through hike on the Appalachian trail last month. Hardest thing I've ever done but glad to have been able to do it at 61. Next on my list, a year of Viking games. If that doesn't kill me nothing will!
Post #: 185
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2021 9:05:28 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: ambear

quote:

quote:

Ah, good for you!!

Went on permanent vacation a year ago and never looked back. Just completed my through hike on the Appalachian trail last month. Hardest thing I've ever done but glad to have been able to do it at 61. Next on my list, a year of Viking games. If that doesn't kill me nothing will!

Great stuff! Funny, too.

I rode Route 66 this spring on my bicycle. April 12 from Santa Monica to Buckingham Fountain on Lake Michigan in Chicago (backwards) on May 15.

Going to all the Viking games sounds like a great idea. After this trucking gig I'd like to do another ride.
Post #: 186
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/29/2021 9:46:10 PM   
marty

The secret of the Mike Zimmer defense, prime Griffen [or Jared Allen], Hunter and Harrison. Even made a few marginal CBs look pretty good.

I don't see why they [along with Richardson and others] can't make some of these CBs look decent.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 187
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2021 7:51:45 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

The secret of the Mike Zimmer defense, prime Griffen [or Jared Allen], Hunter and Harrison. Even made a few marginal CBs look pretty good.

I don't see why they [along with Richardson and others] can't make some of these CBs look decent.

It's early yet?
Post #: 188
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2021 8:27:49 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah, good for you!!

Great stuff! Funny, too.

I rode Route 66 this spring on my bicycle. April 12 from Santa Monica to Buckingham Fountain on Lake Michigan in Chicago (backwards) on May 15.

Going to all the Viking games sounds like a great idea. After this trucking gig I'd like to do another ride.

Wow! I'm retiring on Nov 1 and all I have planned is planting my ass on a beach in Florida until May.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 189
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2021 9:12:53 AM   
Ricky J

That works, too!
Post #: 190
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2021 9:28:50 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah, good for you!!

Great stuff! Funny, too.

Wow! I'm retiring on Nov 1 and all I have planned is planting my ass on a beach in Florida until May.

Congrats man.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 191
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2021 9:36:06 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah, good for you!!

Great stuff! Funny, too.

Congrats man.

Thank you. I'm really looking forward to it.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 192
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2021 10:01:41 AM   
ambear

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah, good for you!!

Great stuff! Funny, too.

Same here, I winter in Ft Lauderdale. Congrats!
Post #: 193
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2021 10:30:17 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah, good for you!!

Great stuff! Funny, too.

Congrats to you too. We're on Fort Myers Beach.

Post #: 194
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2021 10:43:34 AM   
ambear

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah, good for you!!

Great stuff! Funny, too.

Congrats to you too. We're on Fort Myers Beach.

Post #: 195
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2021 12:06:09 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah, good for you!!

Great stuff! Funny, too.

Congrats man.

Yeah, absolutely - congratulations.
Post #: 196
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2021 12:29:45 PM   
Ricky J

Judd Zulgad Retweeted

Eric Eager Bar chartAmerican football @PFF_Eric
·
Sep 29
Even with a turbulent week 1, Klint Kubiak is currently the highest-rated offensive play caller using our
@PFF
offensive play caller rating system through week 3 #Vikings

- oh stop! We're not used to seeing that kind of stuff
Post #: 197
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2021 12:36:40 PM   
Ricky J

And so it begins ...

Andrew Krammer @Andrew_Krammer
·
15m
Justin Jefferson grins, saying he needs some of Adam Thielen's "share" in the end zone as his teammate has 18 TDs in his last 18 games.

Remember when everyone was talking about how they loved what Diggs had to say in his infancy?
Post #: 198
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2021 12:55:44 PM  1 votes
Daniel Lee Young

Picked up one of these:

http://talkvikes.gorge.net/photo_view.aspx?file=0;1665428

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 9/30/2021 12:58:17 PM >

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 199
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/30/2021 1:00:29 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

And so it begins ...

Andrew Krammer @Andrew_Krammer
·
15m
Justin Jefferson grins, saying he needs some of Adam Thielen's "share" in the end zone as his teammate has 18 TDs in his last 18 games.

Remember when everyone was talking about how they loved what Diggs had to say in his infancy?

If JJ wants more touchdowns, he needs to get into the endzone, open and catch the damn ball..

Duh..

If he was open, he would get throws.

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 200
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode