Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Our New Head Coach

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Our New Head Coach Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/26/2022 9:40:49 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Fair enough.

Bortles in the playoffs: I see only 10 points against the Bills, but it was enough to win. An impressive 45 points against the Steelers, and a 20 points against the Patriots, so they were in the game.

Doing this with Bortles raises him up a notch. Bortles looked GREAT in college clips, I thought he would be more successful as a pro, Hackett got plenty out of him.

1) Remember the weather factor. 2) GB wasn't all that healthy at OL.

I will be happy with any of the top 5-6 guys on the list. We lost 2-3 games last year due to coaching/communication. Then you add on the fact that Zimmer hated playing rookies....He would rather have played Dozier coming off of his Covid than Davis or Sean Mannion and get the offenses ass handed to it when a running QB gave us a better shot.

He deserves a little credit there to be sure..

But the Jags Defense that years was unbelievably good.

that was more of a Trent Dilfer with the Ravens effect.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 251
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/26/2022 10:51:11 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Fair enough.

Bortles in the playoffs: I see only 10 points against the Bills, but it was enough to win. An impressive 45 points against the Steelers, and a 20 points against the Patriots, so they were in the game.

Doing this with Bortles raises him up a notch. Bortles looked GREAT in college clips, I thought he would be more successful as a pro, Hackett got plenty out of him.

I will be happy with any of the top 5-6 guys on the list. We lost 2-3 games last year due to coaching/communication. Then you add on the fact that Zimmer hated playing rookies....He would rather have played Dozier coming off of his Covid than Davis or Sean Mannion and get the offenses ass handed to it when a running QB gave us a better shot.

It wasn't his first time...EJ Manual on the Bills. Also a Cousin type (Kyle Orton):

Offensive coordinator of the Buffalo Bills
In 2013, the Bills hired Marrone as their head coach, and Hackett was brought back to Buffalo as the offensive coordinator.[1] With quarterbacks EJ Manuel, Thad Lewis, and Jeff Tuel, the Bills ranked 29th in passing offense that year, but had a prolific running game with halfbacks C. J. Spiller and Fred Jackson. When Kyle Orton took over for Manuel as the Bills' quarterback the following year, the team finished with a more respectable passing offense, but the run game suffered.[2]

Finalist for Denver job so he may be gone...

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/26/2022 10:53:05 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 252
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/26/2022 10:57:31 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Fair enough.

It wasn't his first time...EJ Manual on the Bills. Also a Cousin type (Kyle Orton):

In 2013, the Bills hired Marrone as their head coach, and Hackett was brought back to Buffalo as the offensive coordinator.[1] With quarterbacks EJ Manuel, Thad Lewis, and Jeff Tuel, the Bills ranked 29th in passing offense that year, but had a prolific running game with halfbacks C. J. Spiller and Fred Jackson. When Kyle Orton took over for Manuel as the Bills' quarterback the following year, the team finished with a more respectable passing offense, but the run game suffered.[2]

They ran a lot with Manuel. How is that coaxing a great season out of him? Kyle Orton they passed better but then couldn't run? and I would hardly call a 29th ranking successful. Klint Kubiak did better than that here.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 253
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/26/2022 10:59:54 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Fair enough.

They ran a lot with Manuel. How is that coaxing a great season out of him? Kyle Orton they passed better but then couldn't run? and I would hardly call a 29th ranking successful. Klint Kubiak did better than that here.

Look at the talent and record....that is what someone asked for....Hackett did well with poor talent. You think that Bills team didn't overachieve? They game planned well even with poor talent...the reason I want Pederson and/or Hackett.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 254
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/26/2022 11:02:32 AM   
ratoppenheimer

surprise....

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter
Vikings hired Browns’ VP of football operations Kwesi Adofo-Mensah as their general manager, per source.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 255
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/26/2022 12:52:15 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Well if this is in fact, true, the process is under way…

Still no analysis from me till I see who coach is and contract/ player evaluations take place, and at least a draft..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 256
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/26/2022 4:05:46 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Fair enough.

Look at the talent and record....that is what someone asked for....Hackett did well with poor talent. You think that Bills team didn't overachieve? They game planned well even with poor talent...the reason I want Pederson and/or Hackett.

Phil regardless of talent they were ranked 29th out of 32 teams. that team had success despite a bad offense. Is that a plus for Hackett?

I wouldn't say so.

Post #: 257
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/26/2022 7:15:22 PM   
DavidAOlson

Well, they got the GM that popped as my favorite in the coverage I saw. Analytical, seems willing to take considered risks for a big payoff.

I don't have a favorite coaching candidate, but Morris seems like a solid candidate because of his flexibility. Of the guys who are popping, he seems like the safer choice.

DeMeco Ryans is touted as the most likely choice, and I kinda have a preference for him because he'll either be a superstar or a whiff. And I'd rather they swing for the fence.

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 258
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/26/2022 7:45:16 PM   
marty

I prefer Doug Pederson, would be very happy with Joe Barry (Pack DC) as it also weakens the Pack, but there is a lot to like about DeMeco Ryans.

Maybe I was giving the cold weather too much credit for shutting down Rodgers:

https://www.ninersnation.com/2022/1/25/22900947/49ers-defense-ryans-armstead-playoffs-packers

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 259
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/26/2022 7:45:31 PM   
Ricky J

If you have twitter this is great stuff:

https://twitter.com/Matt_Falk/status/1486380839609016321?s=20
Post #: 260
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/27/2022 1:32:32 PM   
ratoppenheimer

i wonder if pederson is even interested....

Courtney Cronin@CourtneyRCronin
That would put the Vikings coaching search down to six candidates after Dan Quinn removed his name from consideration & Nathaniel Hackett was hired by Denver this morning.

Other candidates: Kevin O'Connell, DeMeco Ryans, Raheem Morris, Todd Bowles, Jonathan Gannon, Kellen Moore.

Tom Pelissero@TomPelissero
Dan Quinn has informed teams that he’s staying with the #Cowboys, per sources.
Six teams requested head-coaching interviews with Quinn, who decided he wanted to return to Dallas and try to win a Super Bowl. He should be a hot name again next year.

Post #: 261
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/27/2022 3:24:40 PM   
ronhextall

My Monday says Jerry Jones told Quinn the HC job is all his if next year doesn’t work.
Post #: 262
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/27/2022 7:12:46 PM   
marty

I LOVE that Denver took Hackett, I didn't want him after that last game. It was a poor approach to a very cold game.

It's great the Packers lost a decent OC (not going to over-value one poor playoff game), and someone Rodgers liked, which further sets in motion Rodgers leaving.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 263
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/27/2022 7:16:21 PM   
marty

Glad the Vikings aren't getting Quinn nor Hackett.

My favorites of Doug Pederson, Joe Barry and DeMeco Ryans are all still available.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 264
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/27/2022 8:51:33 PM   
Bill Johanesen

marty is quite verbal about the pack losing The Hack.
Post #: 265
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/27/2022 8:57:35 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

My Monday says Jerry Jones told Quinn the HC job is all his if next year doesn’t work.

Nah, he knew he wasn't getting any of the jobs out there so he's trying to save face.
Post #: 266
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/28/2022 9:03:05 AM   
Chris Olson

the Purple FTW! video on O'Connell is interesting

I really would rather see Ryans or Morris (from those discussed as favorites), but KOC is intriguing on a lot of levels

more aggressive playcaller for sure

the Cousins connection is interesting from 2017...it would say a lot about how he feels about Kirk, how he would use him and so forth...I wonder if the interview process might weed out some answers for the FO about whether another year with Cousins could be salvageable...

I also wonder if bringing in Morris, he could bring KOC with him if they made him OC/asst HC...does that make it not a lateral move and the Rams couldn't block it?

idk, just some speculation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7wGW9rZvuU

< Message edited by Chris Olson -- 1/28/2022 9:04:37 AM >
Post #: 267
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/28/2022 9:09:14 AM   
Chris Olson

the longer the search goes seems like it will hinge on guys still coaching...

I think all my favorites are still in it...Ryans and Morris especially

Flores is the only one not coaching right now that I'd shoot ​for...but there is not much talk about him
Post #: 268
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/28/2022 9:12:04 AM   
Chris Olson

I also wonder about whether it matters if KAM has any previous connections with coaching candidates

seems like everyone wants to tag someone that was with SF at some time that he was there

namely, Ryans and O'Connell
Post #: 269
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/28/2022 11:36:21 AM   
ratoppenheimer

Todd Archer@toddarcher
Jerry Jones believes Kellen Moore will also return to the team in 2022, and said on 105.3 The Fan that is something he wants. Moore is in the mix with a few jobs that remain open.

Courtney Cronin@CourtneyRCronin
Not that Kellen Moore's name has been heavy in the Vikings coaching search after his initial interview, but this would eliminate another candidate from Minnesota's pool.

deed@jupmaan
Replying to @CourtneyRCronin
Who is the candidate that seems to be the center focus of the search currently? The news interviewing of Patrick Graham makes it feel like they haven’t found a guy they want yet.

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 1/28/2022 11:38:35 AM >

Post #: 270
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/28/2022 1:21:28 PM   
Ricky J

Kinda wondering if Adoto-Mensah is thinking someone like him, no first hand exp, not so much as they deserve a shot as much as he'd be able to shape the position with his vision more so than someone that's looking to rebound doing it his way.

Who knows ... prob a reach but there might be something to it
Post #: 271
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/28/2022 1:33:19 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Kinda wondering if Adoto-Mensah is thinking someone like him, no first hand exp, not so much as they deserve a shot as much as he'd be able to shape the position with his vision more so than someone that's looking to rebound doing it his way.

Who knows ... prob a reach but there might be something to it

Not sure I want the GM "molding an NFL Head Coach " considering his sports experience as a player and/or coach topped out as a walk-on for Princeton basketball. I think he better hire a coach that knows what they are doing and how they want to do it.

Adota better stick to personnel and let the coach "coach".
Post #: 272
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/28/2022 3:15:56 PM   
marty

What about getting Jerry Gray back, and making him the defensive coordinator ?

(This is a hypothetical question for after the HC is already chosen)

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 273
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/28/2022 3:52:26 PM   
David Levine

quote:

What about getting Jerry Gray back, and making him the defensive coordinator ?

(This is a hypothetical question for after the HC is already chosen)

Why?

Have our DBs ever been the strength of our defense under Gray?
Post #: 274
RE: Our New Head Coach - 1/28/2022 5:33:52 PM   
marty

Our DBs did ok until he left, and Green Bays' DB have done very well.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 275
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Our New Head Coach Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode