Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/8/2023 8:12:07 PM   
Bill Johanesen

The Los Angeles Lakers have agreed to a deal to land Minnesota's D'Angelo Russell, Malik Beasley and Jarred Vanderbilt in a three-team trade also involving the Utah Jazz, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

In the trade, the Timberwolves will receive guards Mike Conley and Nickeil Alexander-Walker and picks, while the Jazz will receive Russell Westbrook, Juan Toscano-Anderson, Damian Jones and a lightly protected 2027 Lakers first-round pick, sources said.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 2/8/2023 8:17:55 PM >
Post #: 276
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/8/2023 11:48:26 PM   
Steve Lentz

My wish has come true. We've traded Russell!
Have to give him credit for playing some of his best basketball(offensively) as of late but never liked his defense.
Look for my man Ant to step his game up even more!

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 277
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/9/2023 12:53:13 AM   
David Levine

Shams:

The Nets are trading Kevin Durant to the Phoenix Suns for a package including Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, four first-round picks and additional draft compensation, league sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium
Post #: 278
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/9/2023 1:47:15 AM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

Have to give him credit for playing some of his best basketball(offensively) as of late but never liked his defense.

And Nowell with his first start of the season looked like the best player on the floor all night. I have no idea what he's doing wrong in practice, but Finch has to be forced into putting him on the floor. He's legit. Good thing Rivers wasn't available, because he would have sucked up all those Nowell minutes.
Post #: 279
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/9/2023 6:20:25 AM   
ronhextall

So KD and Rudy both cost four #1’s?
Post #: 280
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/9/2023 7:37:17 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Shams:

The Nets are trading Kevin Durant to the Phoenix Suns for a package including Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, four first-round picks and additional draft compensation, league sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium

Whoa didn't see that coming.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 281
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/9/2023 7:38:45 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

No. We gave 5 #1's when you add in Kessler

Post #: 282
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/9/2023 8:02:32 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

They could have just kept Kessler as a Rudy clone and kept the four #1s
Post #: 283
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/9/2023 8:14:27 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

quote:

yes, I was being kind, lol.

I can't believe somebody thought 4 #1 picks was a good idea for at best a super good role player.

Seem to be wasting a lot of capital to try and prove KAT is a #1, he isn't.
Post #: 284
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/9/2023 8:17:39 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

They could have just kept Kessler as a Rudy clone and kept the four #1s

Agreed

Post #: 285
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/9/2023 8:18:35 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Nope. Why give up draft picks for a rental, especially when that rental will probably think he is worth a huge contract? Too inconsistent to invest in.

Rather see the Lakers get a pair of decent players and have some flexibility with any extensions. Like maybe just keep one on a much cheaper contract.

Better yet, absent getting someone who can move the needle just play out the year.

Just wait till the Lakers trade all picks through 2035 to get Bronny.

Rob Lowe should have taken the one title, given it one more chance the next year and then blew it all up when guys still had value. But, ticket sales to a mediocre team are what matters now.

LOL, no kidding.

But I like they also got a couple of role players in the trade. At least there will be some floor spacing with DLo and Beasley. It's not a needle mover, but hopefully gets them out of disfunction junction.
Post #: 286
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/9/2023 9:12:20 AM   
Karl Juhnke

Not going to lie, I grew to like D'lo. He came a long way since his first season here when he was a total detriment and I was relieved when he was not on court. He still has his issues but he found his place a little bit.

However, liking a player on court does not preclude approving of him getting traded. I do. Even the improved D'lo still was not worth $30 million. Instead of a streaky, marginal defending combo guard, Conley gives us a more pure point guard, badly needed, for less money, and one who is accustomed to working with Rudy.
Post #: 287
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/9/2023 9:25:09 AM   
Karl Juhnke

Of the other pieces in the trade, seems like the one the Wolves got, Nickeil Alexander-Walker, may be more than just a throw-in? I don't know much about him besides being a good defender, and is shooting over 40% on 3s, way up from his career average though.

I assume he's on an expiring contract? But may be able to contribute something at least this year, and evaluate whether to extend him or not.
Post #: 288
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/9/2023 9:46:09 AM   
Mister Ed

Can they somehow find a taker for Towns?

I'd be more interested in the Wolves as is now.

What was old is new again
Post #: 289
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/9/2023 10:29:07 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Ed

Can they somehow find a taker for Towns?

Easily.

But he can't be traded until the offseason.

And, honestly it would be about the worst possible time to trade him.
Post #: 290
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/9/2023 10:32:44 AM   
Karl Juhnke

I can't wait for Towns to get back, and I've been as harsh a critic of him as any in the past. Towns was trying to do doing everything he could to make it work when he went down. The wins weren't there, but I expected it to be a slow process.
Post #: 291
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/9/2023 10:46:43 AM   
David Levine

Thoughts:

Conley:

Conley is definitely not the defender he once was, but he's still much better than D'Lo. He's going to put in the effort and he's going to fight. He's not going to die on screens, he's not going to get caught watching the action flat-footed.

He's also not going to keep handing our opponent easy transition baskets with "heat check" 3s and stupid turnovers. He's not going to turn the ball o ver on 3 consecutive positions late in a close game like D'Lo is prone to do.

He's not going to force his coach to bench him in a "go home" playoff game.

He's a veteran presence on a team that tends to crumble without a grown-up on the floor.

He wants to be a PG and he wants the responsibility that goes along with it. Something D'Lo has made clear he isn't interested in.

He knows better than anyone how to maximize Gobert on offense.

He also should help easy KAT back into the game.

Plus Ant and Conley are close. Apparently they talk basketball quite often.

Jazz players were devastated about losing him in their pressers yesterday. Conley is a pro's pro and a leader on and off the floor.

And he kicks the salary slot down the road another year.

It's probably about as good of a deal as we can get for dumping Russell.
Post #: 292
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/9/2023 10:52:27 AM   
David Levine

Nickeil Alexander-Walker:

He's a guy I loved in the Culver draft and was who I would've taken with our pick. That said, he's disappointed so far.

Canadian. Cousin to Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. Still just 24 years old.

Good size (6'6, 6'9 wingspan) for a combo guard. Has some playmaking chops as well. 5 REB, 4 AST, 2 STOCKS PER36 for his career.

Has not been a good defender to this point in his career.

Limited playing time this year (528 minutes), but has shot the ball very well: 49/40/70

He's never had particularly good coaching and he has had stretches of really good play when he gets run. Just really inconsisent.

Restricted Free Agent next year, so we have a ~30 game tryout to see if we want to bring him back.
Post #: 293
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/9/2023 10:57:52 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

And Nowell with his first start of the season looked like the best player on the floor all night. I have no idea what he's doing wrong in practice, but Finch has to be forced into putting him on the floor. He's legit. Good thing Rivers wasn't available, because he would have sucked up all those Nowell minutes.

I'd say the opposite. If anything Finch has given him too much time.

He's done one thing well all year. Get into the midrange and hit those shots.

His 3 has been broken all year. (And really for 3 of his 4 pro seasons)

He's a straight line, 1 speed driver that relies on broken defenses to get to the rim.

He's a turnover waiting to happen.

He makes Russell and Beasley look like almost competent defenders in comparison.

That said, he's definitely been miscast as a combo guard. He's a small SG and if he leans more into that, maybe he can have more games like last night. He's definitely played his best ball of the year when paired with McLaughlin. And Ant's improved playmaking ability really helped him out last night.

I still think he's likely a guy who doesn't crack a Playoff team's rotation and could make a great living playing in Europe.
Post #: 294
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/9/2023 10:59:20 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

Slo-mo Rivers

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 295
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/9/2023 10:59:31 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Thoughts:

Conley:

Conley is definitely not the defender he once was, but he's still much better than D'Lo. He's going to put in the effort and he's going to fight. He's not going to die on screens, he's not going to get caught watching the action flat-footed.

He's also not going to keep handing our opponent easy transition baskets with "heat check" 3s and stupid turnovers. He's not going to turn the ball o ver on 3 consecutive positions late in a close game like D'Lo is prone to do.

He's not going to force his coach to bench him in a "go home" playoff game.

He's a veteran presence on a team that tends to crumble without a grown-up on the floor.

He wants to be a PG and he wants the responsibility that goes along with it. Something D'Lo has made clear he isn't interested in.

He knows better than anyone how to maximize Gobert on offense.

He also should help easy KAT back into the game.

Plus Ant and Conley are close. Apparently they talk basketball quite often.

Jazz players were devastated about losing him in their pressers yesterday. Conley is a pro's pro and a leader on and off the floor.

And he kicks the salary slot down the road another year.

It's probably about as good of a deal as we can get for dumping Russell.

That's the only negative here, if you can call it that. Conley is 35. This is definitely not a move for the future. It's a move to delay making decisions about the future for another year, and get some solid play, cohesion and leadership in the meantime.
Post #: 296
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/9/2023 10:59:34 AM   
David Levine

Vecenie argues that Conley will indeed be a needle-mover and a significant upgrade over D'Lo:

1. 2022-23 Conley is in elite statistical company in generating shots for others out of PNR
2. Conley is low-usage and won't subject the team to hero ball, heat checks, etc.
3. Conley is a 2-way player who is skilled at fighting through screens and other actions
Post #: 297
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/9/2023 11:03:43 AM   
David Levine

I'm also surprised the Lakers used the 2027 pick on this group.

I guess the superstar they intended to trade it for never materialized?
Post #: 298
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/9/2023 11:20:16 AM   
David Levine

Walker Kessler on Conley:

“Playing with Mike in the pick-and-roll is like the easiest thing I’ve ever done in my life,” Kessler said.

“Just the way he’s patient and holds off his man. I mean, he’s helped me so much. He shows me how to hold the screen, the angle of the screen, how to help him, how to get other guys open. He’s just been so unbelievably helpful.”
Post #: 299
RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season - 2/9/2023 12:55:25 PM   
ronhextall

1st round picks likely are not as valuable to Lakers as they are to a team like the Wolves.

Lakers is destination city, some players will always be attracted to everything "Laker" outside the actual team.
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Timberwolves >> RE: Timberwolves 2022 - 2023 Season Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode