Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/1/2023 6:23:21 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

The whole point of having a bat in your hands is to score runs. If you don't get that, you shouldn't be pontificating about hitting.

And you made that up about Gallo.

You gotta have guys around you to score runs. Arraez is on a team with one of the worst lineups in baseball. He is the one shiny object.

Gallo is never a guy I would plan on relying on when it matters. He'll beef up his stats against garbage, but strike out when it matters.

Again, there is no stat for that.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 826
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/1/2023 6:31:02 AM   
Brad H

In the past five games Joey Gallo is batting .100 with no home runs and no RBI, striking out 14 times. The Twins are 3-2. They win despite him, not because of him.

Do they have a stat for that? No. It's called common sense.

Luis Arraez has struck out 10 times the entire season.

Baseball is a cumulative game. Arraez eats up pitches. Gallo is a guy a great pitcher can't wait to get to.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 6/1/2023 6:38:37 AM >

Post #: 827
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/1/2023 6:54:55 AM   
TJSweens

It's called a slump. All batters have them. Even Luus Arraez has them.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 828
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/1/2023 7:09:57 AM   
Brad H

quote:

Gallo has a lot of them. In fact, more often than not he is in a slump.

Post #: 829
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/1/2023 7:19:35 AM   
TJSweens

ATTA BOY LOUIE!!!

Varland pitches a very efficient 7 shut out innings against the defending Champs and the Twins win 8-2 and take 2 out of 3 . Kenta Maeda started his rehab assignment in fine fashion. He should make a fine addition to the bullpen while Varland continues to start.

Lots to like last night. Even Rockhead managed to find the right situation to bring in Jorge Lopez. Up 8-0, you have time to get him out of there before he can blow it.

I have a feeling that when Polanco gets back and as Kirilloff and Lewis settle in, the offense will gain a little more consistency. Add Maeda and Thielbar to the pen and the Twins could get themselves on a bit of a roll.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 830
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/1/2023 7:44:40 AM   
Brad H

Best hitting teams in baseball (by average):

Texas, 35-10 (.272)
Tampa, 40-18 (.267)

At the end of the day, hitting for average still matters. The Oakland A's were the first franchise to push analytics. How good have they been over the past two decades?

Post #: 831
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/1/2023 7:55:03 AM   
Brad H

BTW, attendance is not skyrocketing like the league had hoped it would when it changed all the rules. It is about where it was last season, which is bad news because attendance tends to drop as the season wears on. Last season was the worst (non-pandemic) season of attendance since 1995.

As of now the average game time has dropped about 27 minutes. That also means less revenue from concessions. Meanwhile, payroll-per-team has increased an average of $19-million per team.

Let me see. Less entertainment for more money = less fans. It doesn't sound like a great game plan by the league. I understand the league has more ways to watch a game than attending, but the game-day experience and revenue generated from it is definitely hurting.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 6/1/2023 8:03:09 AM >

Post #: 832
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/1/2023 8:02:58 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

Gallo is a career Mendoza line hitter. Nobody disputes that. He also draws enough walks (90 per year) to make his OBP a very respectable .325. On top of that he will hit 38 HR, drive in 83 and score 86 over the course of a full season. Whether you admit it or not, Joey Gallo is a productive major league hitter.

What I don't get is your insesant comparison of Gallo and Arraez. You get that Gallo was not signed to replace Arraez, right? Gallo is an outfielder. He is taking the AB that used to go to Trevor Larnach, Jake Cave and Kyle Garlick. Arraez was a utility infielder. His AB are being absorbed by Alex Kirilloff, Dovavan Solano and Kyle Farmer.

Post #: 833
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/1/2023 8:05:05 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

Gallo is a career Mendoza line hitter. Nobody disputes that. He also draws enough walks (90 per year) to make his OBP a very respectable .325. On top of that he will hit 38 HR, drive in 83 and score 86 over the course of a full season. Whether you admit it or not, Joey Gallo is a productive major league hitter.

What I don't get is your insesant comparison of Gallo and Arraez. You get that Gallo was not signed to replace Arraez, right? Gallo is an outfielder. He is taking the AB that used to go to Trevor Larnach, Jake Cave and Kyle Garlick. Arraez was a utility infielder. His AB are being absorbed by Alex Kirilloff, Dovavan Solano and Kyle Farmer.

Joey Gallo equals UGLY baseball. I wouldn't spend a dime to watch that guy play the game.

Post #: 834
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/1/2023 8:06:41 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Joey Gallo equals UGLY baseball. I wouldn't spend a dime to watch that guy play the game.

Nobody's asking you to.

Post #: 835
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/1/2023 9:44:20 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nobody's asking you to.

Sure they are. They want anybody's money they can get. I've been going to games for 50+ years and spending my money on the game. I'm not alone, either.

The new brand of baseball is absolute freakin garbage. You can only get people to pay attention to exit velocity for so long.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 6/1/2023 9:47:18 AM >

Post #: 836
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/1/2023 11:06:23 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nobody's asking you to.

Sure they are. They want anybody's money they can get. I've been going to games for 50+ years and spending my money on the game. I'm not alone, either.

The new brand of baseball is absolute freakin garbage. You can only get people to pay attention to exit velocity for so long.

I really enjoyed watching us take a series from Houston with Pitching, Hitting, and Defense last night. Wasn't just exit velocity.

Also the Twins added a backup in Willi Castro who has stolen 9 bases which actually also helps score runs.....he ironically can play 2B also; as well as 3B and most any position.

So Brad would you pay Arreaz Judge money? (I wouldn't pay him Buck money even)

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 6/1/2023 11:09:13 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 837
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/1/2023 11:10:56 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nobody's asking you to.

I really enjoyed watching us take a series from Houston with Pitching, Hitting, and Defense last night. Wasn't just exit velocity.

Also the Twins added a backup in Willi Castro who has stolen 9 bases which actually also helps score runs.....he ironically can play 2B also; as well as 3B and most any position.

So Brad would you pay Arreaz Judge money?

The Twins are a decent team..........because their pitching is very good. The offense is terrible. With that pitching staff they should be 10-12 games over .500 at this point, minimum. The offense leads the league in strikeouts.....by a wide margin. If they had someone that could put the fuc&in bat on the ball they'd be dangerous.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 6/1/2023 11:13:52 AM >

Post #: 838
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/1/2023 11:13:39 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nobody's asking you to.

The Twins are a decent team..........because their pitching is very good. The offense is terrible. With that pitching staff they should be 10-12 games over .500 at this point.

Yes; the bullpen has let them down more than the offense but they once again have had injuries.....they do have more depth at pitching and backups then they have had in a while...

The lineup that produced last night was an example of it.

Again what would you sign Arreaz to for a contract?

Post #: 839
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/1/2023 11:16:10 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nobody's asking you to.

The Twins are a decent team..........because their pitching is very good. The offense is terrible. With that pitching staff they should be 10-12 games over .500 at this point.

Yes; the bullpen has let them down more than the offense but they once again have had injuries.....they do have more depth at pitching and backups then they have had in a while...

The lineup that produced last night was an example of it.

Again what would you sign Arreaz to for a contract?

The team has a 3.45 ERA. You have any idea how good that is in today's game? The problem is, they bat .233 and strike out 10.25 times-per-game. It's awful to watch.

BTW, the Twins have just 25 stolen bases all season. Only one team in the league is behind them.

In other words, they are nearly incapable of playing small ball with a team ERA that suggests small ball could win games. Which is precisely the reason they will hover around .500 for most of the season.

And yet, people still wonder why I'm pissed they got rid of one of the toughest outs in baseball.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 6/1/2023 11:26:05 AM >

Post #: 840
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/1/2023 11:43:04 AM   
Phil Riewer

Apparently evading the Arreaz contract talk.

Post #: 841
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/1/2023 12:27:43 PM   
Brad H

quote:

Arraez makes $6.1-million. Kind of seems like a steal when you have Gallo making $11-million.

Post #: 842
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/1/2023 1:35:54 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

More people pay to see homeruns than guys stranded on 1st base.
Post #: 843
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/1/2023 1:45:26 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Arraez makes $6.1-million. Kind of seems like a steal when you have Gallo making $11-million.

Actually Gallo is a gold glove while Arraez isn't....you may want to look into that. Gallo is probably the one underpaid and Arreaz about in line. (Which is why I asked you what he should be paid)...

Post #: 844
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/1/2023 5:35:02 PM   
Mister Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

More people pay to see homeruns than guys stranded on 1st base.

Unless you're in Minnesota, and Joe Mauer is playing.

What was old is new again
Post #: 845
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/1/2023 5:45:37 PM   
Mister Ed

Wallner 2 more hits/3rbi's including a homer

Wasting a hot streak at AAA

Kepler got on last night. WHEEEE!

Thielbar got an inning in today.

Polanco didn't go on a rehab. That should go well

What was old is new again
Post #: 846
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/1/2023 8:22:54 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Okay can’t believe I’m saying this given Rocco’s track record, but he should have pulled Lopez much sooner. It was obvious from the top of the inning he didn’t have control any more, regardless of his low pitch count.

There is no situational subtlety to Rocco’s style.
Post #: 847
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/1/2023 8:48:41 PM   
Steve Lentz

Lopez is fading as of late???

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 848
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/1/2023 9:18:15 PM   
Steve Lentz

Walk off win!!!!

Post #: 849
RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread - 6/1/2023 9:23:02 PM   
Steve Lentz

Pablo Lopez
In one of the offseason’s most interesting moves, the Twins sent reigning batting champ Luis Arraez to the Marlins in exchange for Pablo Lopez. The logic was simple: the Twins have a surplus of productive hitters, but have struggled for years to complement their strong lineup with an equally productive pitching rotation. As a Marlin, Lopez established himself as a potential hidden ace—with the right tweaks, it was easy to imagine Lopez leveling up to become an elite hurler. Although his stats were always merely good rather than outstanding, he threw five distinct pitches, all of which boasted elite vertical movement.

So far, the Twins, like the Marlins, have not yet figured out how to unlock the best version of Lopez. He’s been solid, good even, just as he has been for years. His 4.11 ERA is inoffensive, albeit a skosh below his usual standard; his underlying metrics are superb, yet haven’t translated into superb actual results. What makes the Lopez especially frustrating, though, is that Arraez has absolutely raked in Florida, posting a MLB-best .376 batting average and .432 on base percentage.

This was prior to tonight's game.

Post #: 850
Page:   <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins 2023 Season and Game Day Thread Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode