Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Twins off-season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins off-season Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Twins off-season - 11/11/2023 9:11:14 AM   
twinsfan

https://twinsdaily.com/news-rumors/just-for-fun/with-tv-rights-in-flux-twins-urge-parents-to-explain-am-radio-to-young-fans-r15293/

Good stuff here.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 51
RE: Twins off-season - 11/14/2023 3:52:48 PM   
David Levine

If the Minnesota Twins want to retain Sonny Gray, it’s going to take a multi-year deal. As expected, the free-agent pitcher officially rejected the team’s qualifying offer ahead of Tuesday’s 3 p.m. CT deadline, per a team source.

By declining to accept the one-year deal worth $20.25 million, Gray ensures the Twins would receive a compensatory first-round draft pick if he signs with another team for more than $50 million.

A finalist for the American League Cy Young award this season, Gray is one of the top free-agent pitching options on the market. He’s expected to attract numerous suitors and should easily fetch a deal of three to four seasons in length.

Though the Twins would love to retain Gray, who made it clear he’s open to a reunion at a reasonable rate, the club likely doesn’t want to commit a long-term deal to him with Pablo López already locked up for the next four seasons.

https://theathletic.com/5063836/2023/11/14/sonny-gray-twins-qualifying-offer/?source=emp_shared_article
Post #: 52
RE: Twins off-season - 11/14/2023 4:55:59 PM   
Phil Riewer

DanHayesMLB
@DanHayesMLB
·
24s
Austin Martin and Emmanuel Rodriguez are being added to the #MNTwins 40-man roster. On Nov. 6, Twins also added Yunior Severino and Jair Camargo.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 53
RE: Twins off-season - 11/17/2023 9:19:57 AM   
twinsfan

Shocking to me that Ohtani won MVP unanimously. He was hurt for a long chunk of the season, especially when it mattered most, and he couldn't elevate his team to anything more than mediocrity. It's the first time both leagues had unanimous MVPs. Feels like groupthink is taking over.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 54
RE: Twins off-season - 11/17/2023 9:49:59 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Shocking to me that Ohtani won MVP unanimously. He was hurt for a long chunk of the season, especially when it mattered most, and he couldn't elevate his team to anything more than mediocrity. It's the first time both leagues had unanimous MVPs. Feels like groupthink is taking over.

Overdependence on Analytics.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 55
RE: Twins off-season - 11/17/2023 10:04:14 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

Overdependence on Analytics.

Easy choice....best hitter and pitcher for over half the year. w/o him the win 50 games all year.

Post #: 56
RE: Twins off-season - 11/18/2023 7:59:29 AM   
TJSweens

The Twins tendered all of their arbitration eligible players, keeping them under team control. There is some speculation that they will try to move Farmer. As of now, the payroll projects to just under $120M when these guys are signed. That leaves plenty of room to bring back Sonny Gray or add an equivalent starter and still reduce payroll. We'll see what the cheap f***ers do.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 57
RE: Twins off-season - 11/20/2023 8:41:51 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

The Twins tendered all of their arbitration eligible players, keeping them under team control. There is some speculation that they will try to move Farmer. As of now, the payroll projects to just under $120M when these guys are signed. That leaves plenty of room to bring back Sonny Gray or add an equivalent starter and still reduce payroll. We'll see what the cheap f***ers do.

Be prepared. they will make zero effort to retain Gray. They will not get into a bidding war for him.
and too many bigger money teams want the best pitchers available. Gray was nearly the top arm available. It was him Nola and Snell. Nola's now signed back with Philly. So Now the likes of LA, Atlanta, etc are pursuing Gray. We have no chance at keeping him. He may be signed by another team by Thanksgiving.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 58
RE: Twins off-season - 11/20/2023 8:46:32 AM   
Trekgeekscott

The 2024 BBWAA ballot for the National Baseball Hall of Fame will be unveiled today. Returning names will include Todd Helton (6th year on the ballot), Billy Wagner (9th), Andruw Jones (7th), Gary Sheffield (10th and final), Alex Rodriguez (3rd), Manny Ramirez (8th), Omar Vizquel (7th), Andy Pettitte (6th), and Bobby Abreu (5th). Helton and Wagner each earned more than two-thirds of the vote on the previous ballot, and each has a solid chance to earn the necessary 75% of the vote this time around. Meanwhile, Sheffield will hope to jump from 55% to 75% in his final year on the ballot.
Newcomers to the ballot will include Adrián Beltré, Joe Mauer, Chase Utley, David Wright, Bartolo Colon, Matt Holliday, and José Bautista. Beltré is a likely Hall of Famer and has a chance to enter on his first ballot. Mauer and Utley aren’t as likely to reach the threshold for enshrinement right away, but they will hope to begin drumming up support for an eventual election. Finally, Wright, Colon, Holliday, and Bautista are long shots to enter the Hall, but with their various accolades and career accomplishments, they should earn enough support to remain on the ballot.

Adrian Beltre yes. The rest. At least not right now.

Now I think all the steroid era guys like Mcgwire, Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, Palmeiro, Ramirez, and ARoid etc should get more consideration. Sheffield included. Because they were the biggest stars in the sport at the time. And MLB looked the other way, egregiously, knowing full well there was massive abuse going on....and it took an act of congress to get MLB to take action on it.

As for Mauer...which I am sure some people think should be a shoe in. I think he lingers on the ballot for a long time and doesn't end up making it.

Post #: 59
RE: Twins off-season - 11/20/2023 9:18:53 AM   
twinsfan

It sounds like Helton and Beltre will make it. Wagner is gonna be right on the line this year. If he doesn't get in this year, he will next year with it being his final year on the ballot.

Andruw Jones will get in, but not this year.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 60
RE: Twins off-season - 11/20/2023 9:21:47 AM   
TJSweens

I really don't care about the HOF anymore. It has become so watered down, it's almost as bad as the R&R HOF.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 61
RE: Twins off-season - 11/20/2023 9:46:28 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

I really don't care about the HOF anymore. It has become so watered down, it's almost as bad as the R&R HOF.

I'm sorry KISS crossed your line.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 62
RE: Twins off-season - 11/20/2023 4:47:09 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

I think he means if Mauer makes it---it is watered down.

Post #: 63
RE: Twins off-season - 11/20/2023 5:09:33 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

No, I meant currently watered down.

Post #: 64
RE: Twins off-season - 11/20/2023 6:21:24 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

No, I meant currently watered down.

Ok I’ll say it. Mauer doesn’t deserve HOF even if watered down.

Post #: 65
RE: Twins off-season - 11/20/2023 6:36:12 PM   
David Levine

quote:

It sounds like Helton and Beltre will make it. Wagner is gonna be right on the line this year. If he doesn't get in this year, he will next year with it being his final year on the ballot.

Such a dumb system.

I can get differentiating "first ballet" vs everyone else. The very top guys deserve an extra honor.

But this whole idea that you can get in, but not until your 8th or 10th try is just stupid.

You're either a Hall of Famer or you aren't.
Post #: 66
RE: Twins off-season - 11/21/2023 9:19:18 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Such a dumb system.

I can get differentiating "first ballet" vs everyone else. The very top guys deserve an extra honor.

But this whole idea that you can get in, but not until your 8th or 10th try is just stupid.

Andruw Jones fits the profile of a HOFer. The ballet slipper fits.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 67
RE: Twins off-season - 11/21/2023 9:25:15 AM   
twinsfan

I wonder if Torii Hunter will get enough support this time to stay on the ballot. He was at 6.9% last year. It's gonna be tough. His case isn't the worst. His career WAR was 50.7. For comparison, Jack Morris had career WAR of 43.5.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 68
RE: Twins off-season - 11/21/2023 9:29:29 AM   
twinsfan

Probably the biggest oversight in the history of the HOF ballot was when Kenny Lofton (68.4 career WAR) only garnered 3.4% of the vote and fell off the ballot after only one year.

Not far behind as far as egregiousness goes was when Johan Santana (51.7 WAR, short but highest-of-high peak career) got 2.4% and also fell off the ballot after one year.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 69
RE: Twins off-season - 11/21/2023 10:21:47 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Such a dumb system.

Andruw Jones fits the profile of a HOFer. The ballet slipper fits.

He fit the profile for the Hall of Pretty Good.

Post #: 70
RE: Twins off-season - 11/21/2023 11:47:26 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Probably the biggest oversight in the history of the HOF ballot was when Kenny Lofton (68.4 career WAR) only garnered 3.4% of the vote and fell off the ballot after only one year.

Kenny Lofton is the uncle of Actor Cirroc Lofton who spent 7 years as a major charactor in the cast of Star Trek DS9. they even had an episode called Take me out to the Holosuite where the 9ers play a baseball game vs a Vulcan team. and get pummelled.

Max Grodenchik plays Ferengi Rom and was a semi-pro baseball player, but had to appear terrible so he batted left handed to appear unskilled.

Fun Star Trek trivia tied to a Major league baseball player.

Post #: 71
RE: Twins off-season - 11/21/2023 12:23:37 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

Kenny Lofton is the uncle of Actor Cirroc Lofton who spent 7 years as a major charactor in the cast of Star Trek DS9. they even had an episode called Take me out to the Holosuite where the 9ers play a baseball game vs a Vulcan team. and get pummelled.

Max Grodenchik plays Ferengi Rom and was a semi-pro baseball player, but had to appear terrible so he batted left handed to appear unskilled.

But was it an oversight?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 72
RE: Twins off-season - 11/21/2023 12:42:01 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

But was it an oversight?

Was what an oversight?

Post #: 73
RE: Twins off-season - 11/21/2023 1:04:47 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

But was it an oversight?

Was what an oversight?

His opinion is based on WAR. There's no oversight.

Post #: 74
RE: Twins off-season - 11/21/2023 3:16:46 PM   
twinsfan

Let me behind your eye test, oh great one. Did Kenny Lofton look like a HOFer?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Twins off-season Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode