Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2024 Free Agency

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Free Agency Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 3:52:32 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

So far today we have learned:

1. There is no rebuild even though a likely 85% of the players on the roster are new since 2022.
2. There certainly is no multi-year effort/rebuild.
3. Donnatell's defense was "top half" in 2022.
4. Last year's defense was "top 7" then finished "top 12". This cannot be based on points nor yards allowed but is a carryover point that has been reinforced today.

Actually all we learned today is that Bill is retracking that "FA's can't be signed with our current salary cap", we can't fill out a competitive roster with our cap, he never said we should tank, and in no shape or form did he ever post about Kwesi using the Credit Card the last 3 months.

So Phil, I have a question about this post. Specifically the bolded part.

I looked through the exchange and up to then said nothing about Kwesi using credit cards (or any semblance thereof). Why did you insinuate I was backtracking on that?

It looks to me like you made up a lie.

And that holds true for insinuating I didn't want to tank. But I'll chalk that one up to your lack of comprehension skills.

So maybe you can answer my question.
Post #: 226
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 3:55:09 PM   
Bill Johanesen

I suspect you tried to copy me (again) this time listing a bunch of erroneous and non-sensical stuff. But when faced with no real material, you made shit up.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 3/14/2024 4:01:08 PM >
Post #: 227
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 3:59:49 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

And even with that, we do NOT have "the most": https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

Geez o flip. Phil, battered all day, pretty much loses his mind.

Nah I know that Harry isn't playing for 18 million in either 2024 or 2025 but keep the faith Bill that they will tank.....and you can try going back to the Kwesi Card Card bit that failed miserably.

Right, because we'll be the only team to release an overpriced veteran.

I see you are out of material, actually you never had any. Brutal day for you. Par for the course. Since you are still on the credit card kick, you can answer my question two posts above.

If they start out 1-4, I hope they tank. Kinda difficult to do though when JJ might be the only real tradeable asset. I predict a last place finish in the division.

And they will crawl along to 8-9 or 7-10. Your sweet spot. Then you can start over about how they were all top half, we have a competitive roster, and we have the most cap in 2026 (even though the 2025 contracts won't be included in the tally).

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 3/14/2024 4:17:01 PM >
Post #: 228
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 5:20:38 PM   
Phil Riewer

So how did Kwesi do with his Credit Card in the first few days of FA Bill? That is what should be talked about but you just can't do it...

1) 8-9 or 7-10 isn't my sweet spot...just like acknowledging the 13-4 season isn't your sweet spot either.
2) the defense was a top half defense in 2023 with many injuries...it was in the top 7 until they hit.....whether you care to acknowledge it or not. Cap has been talked about on Skor North and others (Sean Bormann) where we will have a ton of cap in 2025---that is what was mentioned just the last two days.
3) Acknowledging the job Kwesi, Flores, and KOC did in FA the first few days isn't your sweet spot either.
4) Tanking is your sweet spot.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 229
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 6:03:13 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

So how did Kwesi do with his Credit Card in the first few days of FA Bill? That is what should be talked about but you just can't do it...

1) 8-9 or 7-10 isn't my sweet spot...just like acknowledging the 13-4 season isn't your sweet spot either.
2) the defense was a top half defense in 2023 with many injuries...it was in the top 7 until they hit.....whether you care to acknowledge it or not. Cap has been talked about on Skor North and others (Sean Bormann) where we will have a ton of cap in 2025---that is what was mentioned just the last two days.
3) Acknowledging the job Kwesi, Flores, and KOC did in FA the first few days isn't your sweet spot either.
4) Tanking is your sweet spot.

Gee Phil, I don't know since the credit card info isn't known yet... which I've said multiple times. You're trolling, so won't mention it again until the data is out.

So you admit your 2023 stat was made up. Nice.

I'm ok with the signings but am curious when they will be paid. And I do not think the roster is "competitive", unlike you. I think it will take a couple of years to obtain enough talent to be competitive. And that's assuming Kwesi hits on the drafts and FAs.

Tank where needed. Make a push when needed. I adjust. Unlike you... living vicariously through management. First Spielman, now Kwesi. They can do no wrong. Then when the season is a bust.... blame injuries! Your never-ending, annual excuse. Sad.

Bottomline: As long as I'm thinking the opposite of you I am good to go.
Post #: 230
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 6:06:04 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Come on Phil, how did Kwesi do with the cards? If it's "being talked about" why not share? What are the parameters? Just summarize it in a few sentences.

You can't and won't answer cause you don't know jack.

Troll.
Post #: 231
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 6:16:49 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

. We just spent over 120 million in FA. Total rebuild? No cap space?

Like I said, anything can be done when it's paid for in the future.

We didn't re-structure anybody to be able to sign these guys, did we?

Nope. So far no cans have been kicked down the road.

Right. Because the contracts haven't been set.

Who knows, maybe the team will pay for them in a responsible manner.

There is no way they can be active the first day on FA. No way.
Still not in full tank mode. DT and CB away from a top 5 defense

This was a big day. A good day.

Don't start crowing over something that hasn't happened yet and warp it with asinine projections.

None of these people, including Cousins have signed yet. All need to pass physicals which, after reading David's Seifert piece, is no given.

Then there's the structure of the contracts ... and how well we've set it up to add more pieces next year and the year after.

And more than just a DT and CB away from a decent defense much less top 5.

The league year hasn't even started and we're awesome!

Good luck with that.

Well we got the DT so are just a CB away from "top 5 defense"
Post #: 232
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 6:20:38 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

Finally we look to be clearing huge contracts and dead money that have been holding back this team for years. We may suck for a season or 2 but at least most of our cap space won't be wasted on guys no longer with the team. I'm not sold on our drafting ability, but at least we now have a chance to build a good team without having 50% of our money going to a few players.

Yep. Sort of step 1 of the rebuild. A year late but better than never happening.

Step 1 happened last year with Thielen and Kendricks.

I meant that multi-year phase is basically concluded.

Teams can rebuild a team in a year if done correctly and tanking isn't ever the solution. This became a 3 year purge of bad contracts because of the stupidity of Rick.

What's your point? What team has rebuilt in a year? KC with their OL and having Mahomes? And you don't know whether tanking isn't ever the solution. We'll see how the Bears do.

But who cares with that speculation. THIS rebuild is a multi-year effort. It's already in year three and barring a miracle it will be a couple more years before the gaps can be adequately addressed. Not just addressed... adequately addressed.

They aren't tanking is the point and no it isn't a multi-year effort. The defense and offense are both top half just like last year and the year before. Injuries derailed 2023 not a tank or rebuild.

Cook, Thielen, and Kendricks were replaced and their replacements actually did as well.

Again who said they were tanking and what does that have to do... nevermind. I thought the point about Kwesi using credit cards this year was to determine if he actually did use them. Silly me. WOW.

And you obviously do not know the definition of "multi".

At this point I'm done with your top half this and top 10 that. Knock yourself out. You are a bore.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 3/14/2024 6:28:17 PM >
Post #: 233
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 6:24:52 PM   
Bill Johanesen

How convenient that Kwesi signs injured guys, and when things don't go well Phil blames... injuries! And BFI (before the injuries, pick a year), gee we were top 7, 10, 12... pick a number out your arse!

You are in liplock with Kwesi Phil. Perfect synch. A tag team for the ages! Phil wins!
Post #: 234
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 6:38:40 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

How convenient that Kwesi signs injured guys, and when things don't go well Phil blames... injuries! And BFI (before the injuries, pick a year), gee we were top 7, 10, 12... pick a number out your arse!

You are in liplock with Kwesi Phil. Perfect synch. A tag team for the ages! Phil wins!

That's pretty dam funny.

Spielman didn't seem to have a problem with injuries but Kwesi takes it to a whole new level.

Couple that with how paper thin our roster depth has gotten at most positions ...
Post #: 235
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 6:47:05 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

That's pretty dam funny.

Spielman didn't seem to have a problem with injuries but Kwesi takes it to a whole new level.

Couple that with how paper thin our roster depth has gotten at most positions ...

Phil did it in the Spielman era, but when RS was fired Phil prayed and prayed that we'd get a GM that latched onto injured players in order to keep his injury excuse alive so he could bask in the glow of living vicariously through management. Damn if the Lord didn't answer his prayer... in spades!
Post #: 236
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 6:51:36 PM   
Phil Riewer

Weird The two that claimed there wasn’t any cap space to sign FA the first day are changing the subject when they were wrong.

Post #: 237
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 6:56:53 PM   
Phil Riewer

Also weird that Bill mentions prayer when he struggles to complement GMs on good moves.

Oh yeah Kwesi and Rick make bad moves. Kwesi had a bad draft in 22. Kwesi has made a lot of good and very good moves this week with help from Flores.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 3/14/2024 6:58:02 PM >

Post #: 238
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 6:57:57 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Like several posters have stated, will there be adequate cap when it's time to make a push?

In your child-like zeal, I don't expect you to follow that as those things go right over your head.

I see the parameters for Cashman are out. Cap hits of 4, 8, 10 million. He won't see that last year unless he becomes a star at age 30. So if (hopefully 'when') we are needing to finalize a real competitive roster (not a Phil competitive one), his position is already vacant.
Post #: 239
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 6:59:54 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Like several posters have stated, will there be adequate cap when it's time to make a push?

In your child-like zeal, I don't expect you to follow that as those things go right over your head.

I see the parameters for Cashman are out. Cap hits of 4, 8, 10 million. He won't see that last year unless he becomes a star at age 30. So if (hopefully 'when') we are needing to finalize a real competitive roster (not a Phil competitive one), his position is already vacant.

That same thing applies in reverse. You don’t know Jack yet on the cap either. Yet what have you been doing for months?

Post #: 240
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 7:04:43 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Also weird that Bill mentions prayer when he struggles to complement GMs on good moves.

Oh yeah Kwesi and Rick make bad moves. Kwesi had a bad draft in 22. Kwesi has made a lot of good and very good moves this week with help from Flores.

That first sentence came out an illogical mess.

It remains to be seen whether Kwesi made a lot of good and very good moves this week. I'm hopeful. But can they essentially double their collective snap counts each year... and play well?

You know so much, I guess the Lord passed you the answer. Bravo! Like I said, Phil & Kwesi. THE perfect match.
Post #: 241
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 7:10:14 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

That same thing applies in reverse. You don’t know Jack yet on the cap either. Yet what have you been doing for months?

I've been saying we can't afford much in 2024. We need to be prudent on the cap, and not backload and create void years, i.e. Kwesi being his normal credit card Kwesi. Because we need to strike big in free agency... when it's needed.

And actually Phil, I spent much more time saying we couldn't afford Cousins and Hunter.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 3/14/2024 7:13:09 PM >
Post #: 242
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 7:11:11 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

It remains to be seen whether Kwesi made a lot of good and very good moves this week. I'm hopeful. But can they essentially double their collective snap counts each year... and play well?

You know so much, I guess the Lord passed you the answer. Bravo! Like I said, Phil & Kwesi. THE perfect match.

I actually am hopeful Flores FO and scouting skills did it. Are you getting religious on us? God Bless You!! May he show you the many errors in your ways.

Post #: 243
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 7:16:08 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

I actually am hopeful Flores FO and scouting skills did it. Are you getting religious on us? God Bless You!! May he show you the many errors in your ways.

Ask the Lord what injured guy is going to play LG. That way you can build most of your injury list ahead of time.
Post #: 244
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 7:24:11 PM   
Phil Riewer

I don’t pray for sports teams but feel free to do your own bidding. I would actually pray for you before any sports team.

Post #: 245
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 7:30:38 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

Weird The two that claimed there wasn’t any cap space to sign FA the first day are changing the subject when they were wrong.

You brought your checkers to the chessboard again.

Nobody said there would not be FAs signed. The conversation was about signing a few shiny toys and the effect of those contracts vs overall roster improvement.

Those conversations started before the NFL bumped everybody up 10M when were at like 26M or whatever. Some of us were penciling in high end FAs + Cousins + JJ etc. Some of us wanted to wait to see what happened with Cousins, openly wondered how JJ and Darrisaw were going to effect the cap, and how all the vacant starter spots / the weak starter spots / the lack of depth across the board were going to be addressed in relation to FA spending.

For you, anything the team does is an unqualified success! 7-10 last year … a big win if you exclude the injuries!

For my money, I have to wait to see how Greenard, Van Ginkel and Cashman play before I anoint the defense as exponentially better than the Hunter, Wonnum and Hicks version.
Post #: 246
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/14/2024 7:33:00 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

I don’t pray for sports teams but feel free to do your own bidding. I would actually pray for you before any sports team.

Even though you have an in with the big guy WRT Kwesi, don't pray for me, ever.
Post #: 247
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/15/2024 5:47:14 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Even though you have an in with the big guy WRT Kwesi, don't pray for me, ever.

I don’t have any more ins than any one else. I do know that some are praying for you because they think you really need it.

Post #: 248
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/15/2024 5:48:38 AM   
Phil Riewer

Best on-the-move pivot: Minnesota Vikings

Losing four front-seven players from your roster could be devastating for many teams. Vikings edge players Danielle Hunter, D.J. Wonnum and Marcus Davenport and linebacker Jordan Hicks all left for various deals elsewhere.

But Minnesota had a plan, replacing them with Jonathan Greenard (two years younger than Hunter), Andrew Van Ginkel (young, ascending player) and Blake Cashman, whose football IQ, range and ability to slip blocks make him a three-down inside linebacker and an upgrade over Hicks. That trio gives the Vikings a better package on defense moving forward than what walked out the door. Sometimes plans have to be fluid, and the Vikings’ decision-makers made me a believer in their evaluation skills, which I’d had some doubt about previously.

I also like the pivot to Sam Darnold for $10 million on a one-year deal while letting Kirk Cousins leave for $45 million per year over four years in Atlanta. The money saved can still be put to use by upgrading their third wide receiver spot and extending wideout Justin Jefferson.

Post #: 249
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/15/2024 8:09:41 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

You brought your checkers to the chessboard again.

Nobody said there would not be FAs signed. The conversation was about signing a few shiny toys and the effect of those contracts vs overall roster improvement.

Those conversations started before the NFL bumped everybody up 10M when were at like 26M or whatever. Some of us were penciling in high end FAs + Cousins + JJ etc. Some of us wanted to wait to see what happened with Cousins, openly wondered how JJ and Darrisaw were going to effect the cap, and how all the vacant starter spots / the weak starter spots / the lack of depth across the board were going to be addressed in relation to FA spending.

For you, anything the team does is an unqualified success! 7-10 last year … a big win if you exclude the injuries!

For my money, I have to wait to see how Greenard, Van Ginkel and Cashman play before I anoint the defense as exponentially better than the Hunter, Wonnum and Hicks version.

So you think they had a bad first week? Like I said with the circumstances involving Kirk and Hunter.....KOC, Kwesi, and Flores knocked it out the park. Checkers versus chess, cmon. You know you were surprised how aggressive they were early....it really is ok to admit it. You and Bill together in your chats know it.

Post #: 250
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Free Agency Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode