Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: 2024 Free Agency

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Free Agency Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/15/2024 8:29:50 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

The only “ smart things” queazy and KOC, have done so far, that have tangible, concrete results, on the next season, is move on from KFC, and DHunter.

The players the signed so far in FA are just “ on paper” improvements that have no effect in the upcoming season, and only address cap issues.

Those moves are unproven, either way, and won’t have any “ fruition “ until the games are in the books.

Personally, I’m Happy just to be rid of Cousins.

Eating the dead cap of KFC, and hopefully restructuring HSmith, or eating his cap hit, and the ridiculous money we will be paying Davenport for nothing, hurts the bottom line, but might set the next couple of seasons up for further improvement and more cap freedom,.

Until the formulation of the FA contracts, JJ contract, Darrisaw contract and any other deals are set in stone on signed paper, the future of the cap issue is still cloudy.

I despised Guaranteed Contracts.. because no player can Guarantee his performance or freedom from career ending or season ending injury.

The debate on “improved or not” is pointless.

We won’t have any idea until we see how KOC and BFlo can adapt to the roster changes, that they were/are given/chose to make.

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 3/15/2024 8:35:11 AM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 251
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/15/2024 8:36:18 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

The only “ smart things” queazy and KOC, have done so far, that have tangible, concrete results, on the next season, is move on from KFC, and DHunter.

The players the signed so far in FA are just “ on paper” improvements that have no effect in the upcoming season, and only address cap issues.

Those moves are unproven, either way, and won’t have any “ fruition “ until the games are in the books.

Eating the dead cap of KFC, and hopefully restricting HSmith, or eating his cap hit, and the ridiculous money we will be paying Davenport for nothing, hurts the bottom line, but might set the next couple of seasons up for further improvement and more cap freedom,.

Until the formulation of the FA contracts, JJ contract, Darrisaw contract and any other deals are set in stone on signed paper, the future of the cap issue is still cloudy.

I despised Guaranteed Contracts.. because no player can Guarantee his performance or freedom from career ending or season ending injury.

We won’t have any idea until we see how KOC and BFlo can adapt to the roster changes, that they were/are given/chose to make.

So it is ok to be negative on everything even when PFF, the athletic, Skor North, etc. measured the FA signings a certain way?

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 252
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/15/2024 8:37:49 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

Weird The two that claimed there wasn’t any cap space to sign FA the first day are changing the subject when they were wrong.

You brought your checkers to the chessboard again.

Nobody said there would not be FAs signed. The conversation was about signing a few shiny toys and the effect of those contracts vs overall roster improvement.

Those conversations started before the NFL bumped everybody up 10M when were at like 26M or whatever. Some of us were penciling in high end FAs + Cousins + JJ etc. Some of us wanted to wait to see what happened with Cousins, openly wondered how JJ and Darrisaw were going to effect the cap, and how all the vacant starter spots / the weak starter spots / the lack of depth across the board were going to be addressed in relation to FA spending.

For you, anything the team does is an unqualified success! 7-10 last year … a big win if you exclude the injuries!

For my money, I have to wait to see how Greenard, Van Ginkel and Cashman play before I anoint the defense as exponentially better than the Hunter, Wonnum and Hicks version.

So you think they had a bad first week? Like I said with the circumstances involving Kirk and Hunter.....KOC, Kwesi, and Flores knocked it out the park. Checkers versus chess, cmon. You know you were surprised how aggressive they were early....it really is ok to admit it. You and Bill together in your chats know it.

Totally not what he said, but keep pushing those checkers around.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 253
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/15/2024 8:41:19 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Weird The two that claimed there wasn’t any cap space to sign FA the first day are changing the subject when they were wrong.

Nobody said there would not be FAs signed. The conversation was about signing a few shiny toys and the effect of those contracts vs overall roster improvement.

Those conversations started before the NFL bumped everybody up 10M when were at like 26M or whatever. Some of us were penciling in high end FAs + Cousins + JJ etc. Some of us wanted to wait to see what happened with Cousins, openly wondered how JJ and Darrisaw were going to effect the cap, and how all the vacant starter spots / the weak starter spots / the lack of depth across the board were going to be addressed in relation to FA spending.

For you, anything the team does is an unqualified success! 7-10 last year … a big win if you exclude the injuries!

For my money, I have to wait to see how Greenard, Van Ginkel and Cashman play before I anoint the defense as exponentially better than the Hunter, Wonnum and Hicks version.

So you think they had a bad first week? Like I said with the circumstances involving Kirk and Hunter.....KOC, Kwesi, and Flores knocked it out the park. Checkers versus chess, cmon. You know you were surprised how aggressive they were early....it really is ok to admit it. You and Bill together in your chats know it.

Do you not understand the jest?
He accused me of wanting 7-10 records and only he and Bill know how to get there....Checkers? You too?

The defense showed signs last year until the last 4 weeks and now Flores added more of his type.....just need to improve CB.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 3/15/2024 8:44:33 AM >

Post #: 254
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/15/2024 8:44:43 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He accused me of wanting 7-10 records and only he and Bill know how to get there....Checkers? You too?

Not what we he daid either. He said you proclaim every move the Vikings make as a winner. Pretty much your posting history supports that.

And it wasn't a jest. You were trying to rephrase his argument into something you could mock. Your posting history pretty well supports that too.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 255
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/15/2024 8:47:45 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not what we he daid either. He said you proclaim every move the Vikings make as a winner. Pretty much your posting history supports that.

And it wasn't a jest. You were trying to rephrase his argument into something you could mock. Your posting history pretty well supports that too.

I actually wasn't supportive of the Murphy, Davenport, Tonga, or Hicks moves last year. Hicks especially and I was wrong. I haven't watched any of the 3 play but PFF has them ranked high and I am just posting reviews. Is that a problem?

I was totally for cutting Cook, Thielen, and Kendricks which many weren't ok with also. I am more 50/50 but posting the positive reviews....I am just happy they are being aggressive early.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 3/15/2024 8:49:10 AM >

Post #: 256
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/15/2024 9:07:44 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

I don’t pray for sports teams but feel free to do your own bidding. I would actually pray for you before any sports team.

Even though you have an in with the big guy WRT Kwesi, don't pray for me, ever.

I don’t have any more ins than any one else. I do know that some are praying for you because they think you really need it.

Don't sell yourself short, you've got some ins! Glad I live rent free in their heads.
Post #: 257
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/15/2024 9:39:01 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I actually wasn't supportive of the Murphy, Davenport, Tonga, or Hicks moves last year. Hicks especially and I was wrong. I haven't watched any of the 3 play but PFF has them ranked high and I am just posting reviews. Is that a problem?

I was totally for cutting Cook, Thielen, and Kendricks which many weren't ok with also. I am more 50/50 but posting the positive reviews....I am just happy they are being aggressive early.

50/50?

"DT and CB away from a top 5 defense"
"Yes it is competitve because a lot of heavy work was done before the draft and other fazes of FA" (fazes lol)
"Acknowledging the job Kwesi, Flores, and KOC did in FA"
"Kwesi has made a lot of good and very good moves this week"
"KOC, Kwesi, and Flores knocked it out the park"

50/50... says the biggest pro-management homer there is!
Post #: 258
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/15/2024 10:14:04 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

I already posted that I was happy with the tampering period’s moves. ‘A good day’ I even posted to you … how you mangle that is hard to understand. I also chided you for, once again, going way overboard … scolding ‘the two who didn’t want FAs’. Vastly off the mark.

Were we more active in the tampering period than I expected? Sure … if that makes you feel better. I didn’t know what to expect, I was mostly focused on Cousins.

Its like your eyes roll back and you start shaking in religious epiphany when we sign a minimum wage body for the practice squad. Its not my fault I compulsively bust your chops when you over react on a biblical scale.

I tried to tone it down the last few weeks but if you’re going to group me with Bill … well the, the gloves have to come off LOL!

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 3/15/2024 10:15:14 AM >
Post #: 259
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/15/2024 10:20:05 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

To wit, an ESPN article today lists the top 3 players by position in APY and guaranteed salary. For TEs, Hock is #2 in APY and #1 in guaranteed money. Like you said, we're already at or are going to set the market (or will be very close) at RT, WR, LT, TE. And people want - or expect - more?

Top heavy is ok if you are on a SB run (which also implies the rest of the roster is good). But not when you are projected to finish last in your division.

Where is the timing or synchronization of the roster? Cashman, Van Winkle, Jones, etc will help keep us from going 2-15 but they likely won't be around in two years, or for some even next year. Wondering whether Greenard will.

Our 'big 4' will soon cost around $100 million per unless there are some changes. Kwesi will be playing whack-a-mole with a low-level murmur of cap hell for the foreseeable future.
Post #: 260
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/15/2024 10:26:50 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Ourlads has Brandel penciled in at LG and Tillery penciled in at DE with Bullard as the other DE. It wouldn't be surprising if these budget busters ended up starting.

Weird but understandable how good drafting (JJ, Darrisaw, O'Neill) combined with crappy drafting (most anything from Kwesi) have led to a lopsided roster.

Change the equation. Next year it's almost a given that Harrison Smith is off the books for good and I hope they have a come to Jesus meeting with O'Neill then have one with Hock the year after. Oh, and how about nailing a draft.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 3/15/2024 10:51:02 AM >
Post #: 261
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/15/2024 10:33:07 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

50/50?

"Yes it is competitve because a lot of heavy work was done before the draft and other fazes of FA" (fazes lol)

I trust Flores...he did a more with 2 pass rushers last year, no true #1 cb, and Jordan Hicks than I thought he could. He has done the same with NE and Miami on the defensive side. Again a top 10 defense is attainable. If that is checkers so be it.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 3/15/2024 10:40:45 AM >

Post #: 262
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/15/2024 10:38:49 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Weird but understandable how good drafting (JJ, Darrisaw, O'Neill) combined with crappy drafting (most anything from Kwesi) have led to a lopsided roster.

There was a lot of bad drafting before Kwesi despite the good ones (JJ, Darrisaw, O'Neill). Anyone remember Kellen Mond?

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 263
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/15/2024 10:52:53 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

There was a lot of bad drafting before Kwesi despite the good ones (JJ, Darrisaw, O'Neill). Anyone remember Kellen Mond?

That's beside the point regarding the likely upcoming roster composition.
Post #: 264
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/15/2024 10:54:56 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

50/50?

I trust Flores...he did a more with 2 pass rushers last year, no true #1 cb, and Jordan Hicks than I thought he could. He has done the same with NE and Miami on the defensive side. Again a top 10 defense is attainable. If that is checkers so be it.

After slowly working Flores into your posts, you've gone exclusive with him and eliminated Kwesi entirely. Bravo!
Post #: 265
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/15/2024 2:31:33 PM   
marty

I talked with a Packer fan yesterday, and he was NOT happy about how the Aaron Jones situation played out, thinks that Josh Jacobs is a step down, and isn't happy the Vikings got Jones.

He also felt that Jones doesn't have a lot of wear and tear because he shared a lot of carries with AJ Dillon and Jamal Williams.

So maybe Jones has 2 really good years left in him. The Vikings should have signed him for 2 years.

< Message edited by marty -- 3/15/2024 2:33:02 PM >

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 266
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/15/2024 2:33:43 PM   
Todd M

I think it would also have made sense to sign Darnold to 2. Why get nothing for your success on a reclamation project?
Post #: 267
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/15/2024 2:44:57 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I think it would also have made sense to sign Darnold to 2. Why get nothing for your success on a reclamation project?

I doubt he'd go for it, unless he thought he'd stink it up and could steal money.

More likely he saw what Baker Mayfield did this year and he's betting on himself to do the same.
Post #: 268
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/15/2024 3:52:07 PM   
David Levine

Numerous sources are reporting that offensive lineman Austin Schlottmann has agreed to a two-year deal with the New York Giants. The financial terms of the deal have not yet been made available.

Defensive lineman Khyiris Tonga is leaving the Vikings for the Arizona Cardinals, signing a one-year deal. The financial terms of the deal have not yet been disclosed.

Linebacker Troy Dye is signing a one-year, $1.79 million deal with the Los Angeles Chargers, per numerous reports.
Post #: 269
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/15/2024 9:55:20 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

Eating the dead cap of KFC, and hopefully restricting HSmith, or eating his cap hit, and the ridiculous money we will be paying Davenport for nothing, hurts the bottom line, but might set the next couple of seasons up for further improvement and more cap freedom,.

So it is ok to be negative on everything even when PFF, the athletic, Skor North, etc. measured the FA signings a certain way?

I would agree these 3 LBs are all up and comers whose best football is ahead of them.

As far as the guys we lost, Wonnum is still young but Hunter and Hicks are guys you keep when you are going for it immediately.

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 3/16/2024 11:19:41 AM >
Post #: 270
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/18/2024 5:47:23 PM   
David Levine

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter
49ers are giving Josh Dobbs a one-year, fully-guaranteed $2.25 million deal that includes another $750K in play-time incentives.

---------

Its a good place for him. No one is better at adapting to their QBs strengths and weaknesses than Shannahan.
Post #: 271
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/18/2024 5:57:37 PM   
Ricky J

Cool for JD
Keep banking that money
Post #: 272
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/18/2024 6:01:29 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter
49ers are giving Josh Dobbs a one-year, fully-guaranteed $2.25 million deal that includes another $750K in play-time incentives.

---------

Its a good place for him. No one is better at adapting to their QBs strengths and weaknesses than Shannahan.

Whereas, KOC get out the 10 kilo maul, proceeds to hammer playcall word salad into a salad shooter, like Dobbs, with one hand while
The play clock runs like its hair is on fire..

Why is clock management so difficult in Minnesota?

Are sundial watches the dress code?

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 3/18/2024 6:10:34 PM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 273
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/19/2024 8:10:16 AM   
TJSweens

Vikings sign DL Jonah Williams.

Post #: 274
RE: 2024 Free Agency - 3/19/2024 8:36:50 AM   
joejitsu

quote:

Vikings sign DL Jonah Williams.

More depth for the dline.
Post #: 275
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: 2024 Free Agency Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode