Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/16/2024 3:31:09 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Maye looks like he could be the next Josh Allen.

Maye looks like he could be the next Blake Bortles.

If Williams and Daniels are gone, I wouldn't hesitate to trade up for Maye. He's a big athletic QB with a strong accurate arm and a huge upside. These kids all have a chance to bust. I'm not concerned with who they look like if they do.

. Maye lowlights..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kuXFwNWyN5o

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 251
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/16/2024 3:37:31 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

If Williams and Daniels are gone, I wouldn't hesitate to trade up for Maye. He's a big athletic QB with a strong accurate arm and a huge upside. These kids all have a chance to bust. I'm not concerned with who they look like if they do.

. Maye lowlights..

So what? You think they can't cherry pick plays from Williams and Daniels that are embarrassing. If you look at the scouting report on Maye, it reads very similar to Williams when it comes to weaknesses.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 252
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/16/2024 3:41:07 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

I have to give Kwesi credit, he is cooking this off season!

He said at his presser that they had a lot of contingencies in place. This gives them so much more flexibility.

I'm guessing that they already have a potential trade up partner that they've had discussions with and know the price of poker before they consummated the trade with Houston.

My dream of Jayden Daniels in purple has my hopes up higher today.

When is Daniels pro day? Being he declined to get measured at the combine.

march 27th

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 253
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/16/2024 3:41:46 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

. Maye lowlights..

So what? You think they can't cherry pick plays from Williams and Daniels that are embarrassing. If you look at the scouting report on Maye, it reads very similar to Williams when it comes to weaknesses.

I was just looking for some counterpoint..

I’m not judging him..

Like you say any QB or person can have plays cherry picked..

It’s like polling..
You get the outcome you desire, by how you chose who you poll..

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 254
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/16/2024 3:45:55 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

. Maye lowlights..

I was just looking for some counterpoint..

I’m not judging him..

Like you say any QB or person can have plays cherry picked..

It’s like polling..
You get the outcome you desire, by how you chose who you poll..

Fair enough. My preference would be to get Daniels. If it's Maye so be it. Daniels could actually be there at #3.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 255
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/16/2024 6:20:52 PM   
ratoppenheimer

Peter Schrager of the NFL Network is reporting that the Vikings have agreed to the terms of a one-year deal with offensive lineman Dan Feeney. The financial terms of the deal were not immediately made available.

Feeney has been in the league since 2017, when the (then) San Diego Chargers made him a third-round pick in the NFL Draft. He played his first four seasons with the Chargers, and then signed back-to-back one-year deals with the New York Jets. He signed a one-year deal with the Miami Dolphins in March of 2023, and during the final roster cutdowns the Dolphins traded him to the Chicago Bears for a 2024 sixth-round pick.

Feeney was a member of the PFWA All-Rookie Team in 2017, and started 57 of the 63 games he appeared in during his four seasons with the Chargers. He’s played more of a reserve role in recent years, having started just eight of 49 possible games, including just one start last season with the Bears.
....dailynorsemen

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 256
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/16/2024 7:02:39 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Accurate is not what I've heard about him.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 257
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/16/2024 7:36:22 PM   
Phil Riewer

Further surprised on the Fields third day pick by Steelers.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 258
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/16/2024 8:15:38 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Accurate is not what I've heard about him.

Career completion % of 65%. Roughly the same completion % as Williams, Daniels, McCarthy.

Post #: 259
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/16/2024 9:13:28 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Olson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I think the Vikings might be targeting Jayden Daniels, because they targeted Anthony Richardson last year, and Daniels is probably most similar to Richardson.

It sure would be nice to be a fly on the wall to know who they truly coveted.

If it’s Daniels I’m not sure it’s possible. If Washington goes Maye the Pats are taking Daniel’s. I think the Pats become trade partners only if Daniels is off the board. We have to get to 2 and I don’t see how Washington can give up choice in this select group.

Supposedly NE loves McCarthy. If that's the case, they're likely to need better than 11 to get him.

That's the thing. Assuming Chi takes Caleb, neither NE nor Wash will trade to #11 with the expectation of getting their guy. People are ignoring they would be starting out at #2-3 and could be left with nothing.

To get Daniels, as a minimum you need to have the #5 pick to entice NE or Wash. And that might not be enough if they have settled on a QB and do not want to risk anything happening to jeopardize that.

The only way it works if NE isn't sold on qb.

They have a lot of holes to fill.
Just hired a defensive coach.
Small chance they could decide more draft picks are better way to go than a high end qb.

I think more than a small chance. They need a QB but they need everything. True, having a high pick in a QB rich draft is a chance that doesn't come along every year. But you never know. Strange things happen on draft day. All the top QBs are good, but Williams is probably the only closest thing to a sure thing. There is always risk involved. They may well decide that a bounty of picks is the faster and more prudent way to rebuild.

And maybe so. My point is (assuming they would like one of the six QBs) it may take two trades to get to #2 as a way to help alleviate risk from their side. IOW, something like #11 and #23 to get to #5. Then #5 and the 2025 1st rounder (and maybe more?) to go from #5 to #2. And Herbert isn't part of this scenario.

This is exactly what I was thinking, we trade 23 and 11 for 5 before the draft…

and maybe even go after 2 or 3 for 5 and the 2025 1st rounder…would be a lot easier for either of those teams to move down 2 spots and still secure a top 4 qb

I wonder if The Cards would take the trade of 11+23 for 4? That would be ideal, as both Washington and NE could accept that trade down with nobody able to leapfrog them

Good point adding in the trade to #5 would have to be done before the draft... otherwise it wouldn't work. That's another obstacle since some GMs like to wait for calls until the 11th hour. But they should know if they are a pivot point so to speak for teams looking to go higher then it's a lot cleaner having some arrangement beforehand.

And yeah, if Wash/NE think #2-3 is too high to take a QB BUT need to walk away with one of the six rather than be left holding an empty bag, then #5 or #4 as you say is about as ideal as you can get.

I used the #2 pick as a target only because I'd trade up for Daniels at #2 but not May at #3.

I really like Maye, Bill. He makes really nice throws and he has the mobility to extend plays. But, I also liked Ponder, so what do I know???

That's cool... not going to debate. I know zilch about the QBs, and nobody knows what the teams think.
Post #: 260
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/16/2024 10:05:10 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Possibly takes them out of the QB race at 20.
Post #: 261
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/16/2024 10:15:54 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Olson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I think the Vikings might be targeting Jayden Daniels, because they targeted Anthony Richardson last year, and Daniels is probably most similar to Richardson.

It sure would be nice to be a fly on the wall to know who they truly coveted.

If it’s Daniels I’m not sure it’s possible. If Washington goes Maye the Pats are taking Daniel’s. I think the Pats become trade partners only if Daniels is off the board. We have to get to 2 and I don’t see how Washington can give up choice in this select group.

Supposedly NE loves McCarthy. If that's the case, they're likely to need better than 11 to get him.

That's the thing. Assuming Chi takes Caleb, neither NE nor Wash will trade to #11 with the expectation of getting their guy. People are ignoring they would be starting out at #2-3 and could be left with nothing.

To get Daniels, as a minimum you need to have the #5 pick to entice NE or Wash. And that might not be enough if they have settled on a QB and do not want to risk anything happening to jeopardize that.

The only way it works if NE isn't sold on qb.

They have a lot of holes to fill.
Just hired a defensive coach.
Small chance they could decide more draft picks are better way to go than a high end qb.

I think more than a small chance. They need a QB but they need everything. True, having a high pick in a QB rich draft is a chance that doesn't come along every year. But you never know. Strange things happen on draft day. All the top QBs are good, but Williams is probably the only closest thing to a sure thing. There is always risk involved. They may well decide that a bounty of picks is the faster and more prudent way to rebuild.

And maybe so. My point is (assuming they would like one of the six QBs) it may take two trades to get to #2 as a way to help alleviate risk from their side. IOW, something like #11 and #23 to get to #5. Then #5 and the 2025 1st rounder (and maybe more?) to go from #5 to #2. And Herbert isn't part of this scenario.

This is exactly what I was thinking, we trade 23 and 11 for 5 before the draft…

and maybe even go after 2 or 3 for 5 and the 2025 1st rounder…would be a lot easier for either of those teams to move down 2 spots and still secure a top 4 qb

I wonder if The Cards would take the trade of 11+23 for 4? That would be ideal, as both Washington and NE could accept that trade down with nobody able to leapfrog them

Good point adding in the trade to #5 would have to be done before the draft... otherwise it wouldn't work. That's another obstacle since some GMs like to wait for calls until the 11th hour. But they should know if they are a pivot point so to speak for teams looking to go higher then it's a lot cleaner having some arrangement beforehand.

And yeah, if Wash/NE think #2-3 is too high to take a QB BUT need to walk away with one of the six rather than be left holding an empty bag, then #5 or #4 as you say is about as ideal as you can get.

I used the #2 pick as a target only because I'd trade up for Daniels at #2 but not May at #3.

I really like Maye, Bill. He makes really nice throws and he has the mobility to extend plays. But, I also liked Ponder, so what do I know???

That's cool... not going to debate. I know zilch about the QBs, and nobody knows what the teams think.

Its a freakin crazy time.

When the draftniks started rolling, some people were wondering if Chi was going to stick with Fields and pass on Williams.

If I'm not mistaken, I think a few people in here suggested we try and trade with Chi ... for Fields as our QBOTF or even for their pick if Chi was going to keep Fields,.

Now we find out that nobody in the league values Fields as more than a back-up at this point ... with development potential maybe but the trade value was pure backup.

I also like the posters that don't like McCarthy, Penix or Nix thinking we can trade up and exchange places with other QB desperate teams so we get the blue chipper and they get the leftovers ...

like we value top notch QBs more than them.

The discussions are fun. I'm into it. Beats the big 'Cousins choking' rumpus over the last few years.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 3/16/2024 10:17:34 PM >
Post #: 262
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/16/2024 10:16:12 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

According to ESPN, 6 teams inquired about Fields and most of them were looking at him as a backup. There was surprisingly no market for him.

Post #: 263
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/16/2024 10:30:25 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

According to ESPN, 6 teams inquired about Fields and most of them were looking at him as a backup. There was surprisingly no market for him.

I already knew this as stone cold fact before the trade announcement... after Brad posted, "Love Fields. Give me an athlete. That's what wins in 2024" over in the draft thread.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 3/17/2024 8:38:04 AM >
Post #: 264
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/16/2024 11:00:01 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

I already knew this as stone cold fact before the trade announcement... after Brad posted, "Love Fields. Give me an athlete. That's what wins in 2024" over in the draft field.

Post #: 265
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/16/2024 11:28:39 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

I already knew this as stone cold fact before the trade announcement... after Brad posted, "Love Fields. Give me an athlete. That's what wins in 2024" over in the draft field.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 266
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/17/2024 1:20:29 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

I would have taken a shot at the scenery and coaching change that Fields would have been…

I’d have taken joe Montana out of retirement over another season of Cousins.

What would I give Chicago for him…

Evidently.. nothing ..

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 267
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/17/2024 3:24:02 PM   
Todd M

KJ signing with the Pats.

I read somewhere that that’ll trigger us getting 2 3rd round picks compensation.

Like not for him but him signing away and everything added up…
Post #: 268
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/17/2024 4:03:56 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

KJ signing with the Pats.

I read somewhere that that’ll trigger us getting 2 3rd round picks compensation.

Like not for him but him signing away and everything added up…

That's nothing to sneeze at.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 269
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/17/2024 4:29:59 PM   
kgdabom

In all my whining about us signing Darnold one thing I forgot is that he was costing us a 3rd round comp pick also. Have we recouped that pick now with Osborn signing with the patriots? Or that one is lost forever?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 270
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/17/2024 6:44:13 PM   
beo

quote:

In all my whining about us signing Darnold one thing I forgot is that he was costing us a 3rd round comp pick also. Have we recouped that pick now with Osborn signing with the patriots? Or that one is lost forever?

A 10mil contract is not valued at a 3rd round comp pick. Not even close.

I'll be surprised if Vikes get 2 3rds.

Hunter/Cousins likely would result in the max (3rds).
But Greenard would likely eliminate one of those.
Don't know about Ginkel/Cashman.

Osborne/Risner could be worth something... but their contracts won't likely be very large.
Post #: 271
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/17/2024 6:54:55 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

Osborne/Risner could be worth something... but their contracts won't likely be very large.

Right, Darnold is not even close.

Contracts, playing time, and post-season awards all factor into the secret algorithm.

Hicks can also help. But on the other side there is Aaron Jones and a bunch of filler types that are adding up.
Post #: 272
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/17/2024 8:23:06 PM   
beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Right, Darnold is not even close.

Contracts, playing time, and post-season awards all factor into the secret algorithm.

Hicks can also help. But on the other side there is Aaron Jones and a bunch of filler types that are adding up.

Forgot about Hicks!

But really, it's the big contracts that end up with lots of playing time that garner the higher picks.
I'm guessing Hicks isn't going to break the bank.
Post #: 273
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/17/2024 9:44:44 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

It's convoluted, but Osborn signing a $4 million contract locked us into 2 3rd round comps next year assuming we make no more large FA signings.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 274
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/17/2024 10:01:16 PM   
beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's convoluted, but Osborn signing a $4 million contract locked us into 2 3rd round comps next year assuming we make no more large FA signings.

That would be awesome.

Gives Vikes a ton of more flexibility to move up.

Without a 2nd next year it would be hard to give up next years third... but if you really believe 2 more 3rds are coming... far more palatable.

EDIT:
OTC seems to think so as well... and then are pretty good at projecting comp picks
https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks

< Message edited by beo -- 3/17/2024 11:24:32 PM >
Post #: 275
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode