Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/28/2024 3:40:23 PM   
Bill Jandro

Getting Turner was noy even on my radar.

Trading the Texans for the 23rd pick (for ulterior motives) turned into a blessing by disguise being the run on offensive players pushed some defensive studs down the board.

Normally the top edge rushers fly off the board.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 551
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/28/2024 10:05:23 PM   
marty

What sorts of things does Matt say on game day, and who is Matt ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 552
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/28/2024 10:22:28 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

What sorts of things does Matt say on game day, and who is Matt ?

Twinsfan?
Post #: 553
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/28/2024 11:24:33 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Negotiations with Jefferson. This is so endearing:

Talks resumed after the season and have been productive. Earlier this week, Jefferson posted lyrics from a Drake song on Instagram: "The money speakin' for itself, I call it fortune-tell."

Then there is Kwesi the sycophant, with endearing thoughts:

"Either way, whenever we sign him, we want Justin to have his whole week. You know that friend that has a birthday that takes the month? I think Justin would deserve his whole month if we signed a contract to celebrate it. We're excited to work towards it. We're going to keep going. You can't have all these plans when you talk about all these visions and not talk about the king linchpin, so we're going to keep working toward that end goal."

The 'king lynchpin' caught my attention also.

Kwesi might as well be negotiating for JJ, I mean, tone it down ... just a little.

At least try to sound like JJ plays for the Vikings, not the other way around.
Post #: 554
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/29/2024 9:09:07 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Philly gets TWO of the highly rated CBs. They also

Traded a 4th for a 3rd next year.

Traded 123rd for 127th and a 5th next year.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 4/29/2024 3:49:28 PM >
Post #: 555
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/29/2024 9:32:29 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

Talks resumed after the season and have been productive. Earlier this week, Jefferson posted lyrics from a Drake song on Instagram: "The money speakin' for itself, I call it fortune-tell."

"Either way, whenever we sign him, we want Justin to have his whole week. You know that friend that has a birthday that takes the month? I think Justin would deserve his whole month if we signed a contract to celebrate it. We're excited to work towards it. We're going to keep going. You can't have all these plans when you talk about all these visions and not talk about the king linchpin, so we're going to keep working toward that end goal."

Kwesi might as well be negotiating for JJ, I mean, tone it down ... just a little.

Or it is basically done which it seems to have been for a while except the pomp and circumstance.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/29/2024 9:34:21 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 556
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/29/2024 9:35:18 AM   
Phil Riewer

Alec Lewis from the Athletic thoughts on the UDFAs:

Gabriel Murphy, Edge, UCLA
The production is undeniable. Murphy had 61 quarterback pressures in 2023, which ranked ninth among 390 defenders who rushed the passer at least 200 times.

Explosiveness isn’t a problem, either. Murphy leaped 39 1/2 inches at the combine. The only edge rusher to top that? Alabama’s Dallas Turner, whom Minnesota selected with the No. 17 pick. His 4.68-second 40-yard dash put him in the elite athlete tier as well.

So, how does that type of player go undrafted? Measurables, most likely. Like Pace last year, Murphy (6 feet 2, 247 pounds) does not have prototypical size for an edge rusher. His arm length (30 1/2 inches) is notably shorter than most NFL teams look for at the position (around 33 inches).

Ultimately, Murphy signed with Minnesota for two reasons: the team’s history with Pace and the lack of depth at edge rusher. The Vikings revamped the position group with Jonathan Greenard, Andrew Van Ginkel and Turner, but Patrick Jones II is the only depth edge likely to stick around. Considering defensive coordinator Brian Flores’ willingness to treat every member in training camp the same, no matter when (or if) they were drafted, Murphy has a solid shot at making the team.

Dwight McGlothern Jr., CB, Arkansas
Another undrafted favorite is McGlothern, whom The Athletic’s Dane Brugler projected as a fifth- or sixth-round talent.

McGlothern is a tall, instinctive cornerback who is best suited for the outside. The Vikings added Shaq Griffin in free agency and Khyree Jackson in the fourth round, but depth is still necessary, and McGlothern will step in and compete alongside Akayleb Evans and Andrew Booth Jr.

The 22-year-old began his collegiate career at LSU, then earned All-SEC honors at Arkansas in 2022. He allowed just one catch of more than 15 yards last season, which explains why Pro Football Focus graded him as the No. 1 cover corner in college football among 370 defenders who participated in at least 200 snaps.

His athletic traits are likely why he went undrafted. His 32-inch vertical hovers beneath teams’ preference for the position, but McGlothern’s instincts might paper over the lack of burst.

Owen Porter, Edge, Marshall
If you’re looking for a special teams sleeper similar to NaJee Thompson last year, Porter is someone to watch.

Coaches and teammates at Marshall adored him. He flew around defensively, blocked offensively in the red zone and bashed his way all over the field on special teams. The Thundering Herd named him their MVP last season.

Only Porter’s bench-press reps (30) stand out from an athleticism standpoint, but special teams are about want-to as much as anything else, and Porter has it.

Bo Richter, Edge, Air Force
According to Pro Football Focus, only two edge rushers in the country posted a higher pass-rush win rate than Richter in 2023. The win rate resulted in pressure, too. Richter tallied nine sacks, nine hits and 37 hurries. His 55 pressures ranked 14th among 196 edge rushers who went after the quarterback on at least 200 snaps.

His 6-foot frame and 30 5/8-inch arms might have limited the NFL interest, but coaches constantly talk about how hard a pass-rush skill set is to develop, and Richter — the nephew of longtime NFL quarterback Kent Graham — is ahead of the curve.

Ty James, WR, Mercer
More than 450 receivers in college football (FBS and FCS) were targeted at least 50 times last season. PFF graded all of them, and James ranked eighth. He caught 63 passes for 1,138 yards and seven touchdowns at Mercer after amassing more than 1,000 yards and 13 touchdowns the year before. James is like seventh-round pick Levi Drake Rodriguez: an interesting find by the Vikings staff. Observing him alongside the team’s elite wideouts will be fun.

Doug Nester, OL, West Virginia
The Vikings supplemented their guard depth with Wake Forest’s Michael Jurgens in the seventh round, but Nester is another intriguing option. He played 41 games at right guard in college. He also has tackle experience. Nester ranked 59th among 491 offensive linemen in pass-blocking grade last season, according to PFF. His athleticism should help him vie for a depth role during training camp.

Taki Taimani, DL, Oregon
Taimani is in the mold of Jonathan Bullard or Khyiris Tonga. He is massive at 6-1, 309 pounds, and he is a run stopper. The Vikings had a scouting advantage at Oregon, too, given that A’lique Terry, Oregon’s offensive line coach, was a Vikings defensive assistant in 2022.

Dallas Gant, LB, Toledo
Gant has an interesting pedigree. A four-star recruit, he began his college career at Ohio State. Limited snaps resulted in a transfer to Toledo, and he led the Rockets in tackles in 2022 and 2023, earning first-team All-MAC honors in both seasons. He is long and athletic, and his 791 special teams snaps make him an intriguing option at the back end of the roster.

Tyler Knox, TE, South Carolina
Knox is a bet on an outlier measurable: his above-average-sized 34 1/4-inch arms. His longest catch in 2023 was 23 yards, and he is not a special run blocker. But he is a ball of clay for tight ends coach Brian Angelichio to mold.

Devron Harper, WR, Mercer
If Minnesota wants a new returner, Harper is an option. He is in the Brandon Powell mold (and also caught a Mercer-record 78 passes this season), having led the Southern Conference with 29.1 yards per kick return in 2023.

K.J. Cloyd, LB, Miami
The Vikings’ off-ball linebackers room is interesting. Pace, Blake Cashman and Kamu Grugier-Hill are sure-fire roster inclusions. Brian Asamoah II will have an opportunity to show growth (and consistent health). Beyond that, though, competition abounds, and Cloyd, who played at Louisville and Miami, is in the mix.

Donovan Manuel, LB, FIU
A teammate said of Manuel: “Donovan is the only man that I know who can go to bed, drink almost half a gallon of lemonade and is not cramping when he goes out there and will have a 15-plus-tackle game and, like, three TFLs.”

From here on out, we will be calling him “Lemonade.”

Tyler Manoa, DL, Arizona
Manoa is another run-stuffing defensive tackle who began his career at UCLA and has experience playing alongside Murphy.

Jeshaun Jones, WR, Maryland
Jones has an uphill battle to make the team with the Vikings’ depth at receiver. He caught 57 passes for 800 yards this past season but had been in college since 2018.

Jeremy Flax, OL, Kentucky
Flax is similar to Nester. He started at right tackle the past two years, but right guard might be his best spot. Add him to the offensive line depth for rookie minicamp.

Spencer Rolland, OL, North Carolina
Rolland began his college career at Harvard, transferred to North Carolina and started all 13 games last season in front of Drake Maye. The Vikings offense differs vastly from UNC’s system, but Rolland’s smarts should help him stay afloat.

Matt Cindric, OL, California
Cindric is another interior offensive line option. He started 17 games at center and another 17 at right guard. His teammates at Cal loved him, voting him a team captain twice. He’s another older player who should be easy for offensive line coach Chris Kuper to work with.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/29/2024 9:36:44 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 557
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/29/2024 11:49:34 AM  1 votes
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Or it is basically done which it seems to have been for a while except the pomp and circumstance.

'Whenever we sign him ...'

You are responding to the wrong post. Irregardless of when.

JJ's great talent has become obscured by his omnipresent Griddy, by his focus on yards and catches as the determining factors for his legacy, by his public me-me-me contract campaign and his voluminous commercial activity.

That's annoying but, ok, we all want to get ours.

I am troubled by Kwesi's bottomless promotion of a player that will seriously impact the franchise and the cap.

I don't mind compliments and platitudes, what I don't need to see is spooning.
Post #: 558
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/29/2024 12:09:54 PM   
osure

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

JJ's great talent has become obscured by his omnipresent Griddy, by his focus on yards and catches as the determining factors for his legacy, by his public me-me-me contract campaign and his voluminous commercial activity.

I am troubled by Kwesi's bottomless promotion of a player that will seriously impact the franchise and the cap.

So you wanted a top receiver that didn't need to be spooned. last one we had was Thelen
Post #: 559
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/29/2024 12:16:29 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

In the spirit of collaboration.... Break the Bank and party for a month for the King Lynchpin!

Maybe Peterson can ride in on a camel.
Post #: 560
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/29/2024 12:19:33 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: osure

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So you wanted a top receiver that didn't need to be spooned. last one we had was Thelen

That's not even what he said.

Rather, the GM is verbally spooning and he doesn't want to see that.
Post #: 561
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/29/2024 12:24:41 PM   
osure

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I got that It just seems like wr is the one position that you have to overly pacify them, or they get mad
Post #: 562
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/29/2024 12:40:14 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

In the spirit of collaboration.... Break the Bank and party for a month for the King Lynchpin!

Maybe Peterson can ride in on a camel.

Thats pretty freakin succinct.

You deserve a month to savor it!
Post #: 563
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/29/2024 1:38:36 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

Jefferson is becoming highly annoying. I can't wait to have to party for a month for this clown.
Post #: 564
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/29/2024 1:48:30 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

We shoulda traded him…

Problem is.. no one wants a diva. ..

I say save the cap and let him walk..

I’m getting Percy Harvin and Cordell Patterson vibes mixed in with Stephon Diggs and AP vibes.. and it stinks..

All I need to hear now, is KFC level “ guaranteed money and NTC”..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 565
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/29/2024 1:54:58 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

We shoulda traded him…

Problem is.. no one wants a diva. ..

I say save the cap and let him walk..

I’m getting Percy Harvin and Cordell Patterson vibes mixed in with Stephon Diggs and AP vibes.. and it stinks..

All I need to hear now, is KFC level “ guaranteed money and NTC”..

Don't worry Dan he'll get yards. Who needs scores.
Post #: 566
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/29/2024 2:11:32 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

Jefferson is becoming highly annoying. I can't wait to have to party for a month for this clown.

hey...it's a champagne problem; enjoy it....

what are we snorting tonight?....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 567
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/29/2024 2:18:09 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

Post #: 568
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/29/2024 2:26:34 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

New generation isn't doing a home town discount or taking one for the team. Yeah, this is a little overboard but it is what it is.
Post #: 569
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/29/2024 2:49:17 PM   
marty

Maybe JJ will get more TDs out of JJ ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 570
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/29/2024 3:30:51 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

New generation isn't doing a home town discount or taking one for the team. Yeah, this is a little overboard but it is what it is.

Probably best to start a new post rather than reply to something not related to the conversation.
Post #: 571
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/29/2024 3:42:48 PM   
beo

What has Jefferson done to be so annoying?
Not signing yet?
It's not even OTAs yet...

What exactly has JJ done to be considered a diva?
Honestly asking?

To me he has just gone out and performed and bitched very little... lots of guys would have shut it down last year... he came back when management might have been smarter to shut him down.

Guy is young.
Guy wants to win.
Guy produces.

That's a guy I want.
(yeah, he is going to be super expensive... I'm ok with that on a rookie QB contract.... in 3 years nothing is working... yeah, trade him)

ymmv
Post #: 572
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/29/2024 3:45:23 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

If team policy is x guaranteed money is only for QBs but JJs camp says we want in, then it is NOT a champagne problem... unless you're snorting whatever.
Post #: 573
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/29/2024 3:57:39 PM   
marty

The negativity towards Jefferson is mostly a media creation.

The negative media in Minnesota is part of the reason for the Vikings' failures, and inability to get things going in a positive direction.

They've made the incorrect assumption that JJ is exactly like Diggs, and they would like to be proven right and have JJ driven out of town, than to have Jefferson hoisting the Lombardi.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 574
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/29/2024 4:11:56 PM   
Bill Johanesen

If anything, the Minnesota media is team friendly. Get some NY and Philly type media in here and call out the BS. Letting Hunter walk for nothing? Brilliant.

But it's true they are part of the reason for the Vikings' failures... by perpetuating mediocrity.
Post #: 575
Page:   <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode