Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2024 8:55:42 AM   
Murph

I wonder if Dan is contemplating becoming a Falcons fan now that they have his two favorite QB's?

The pick by the Falcons was very Raideresque of yesteryear. Mind boggling but help Turner drop to us as well.

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 501
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2024 9:04:14 AM   
Karl Juhnke

The evolution of Kwesi.

I like this quote regarding the trade up to get Turner:

quote:

Obviously, I’m a spreadsheet guy myself, but sometimes, you’ve got to step out from there, take your Clark Kent glasses off, have a championship mindset and swing for a great player.”

This is what I want in a GM. He needs to have first and foremost a strong analytics foundation. That will drive long term stability. But you need to package that with realizing that sometimes things happen that can’t be adequately analyzed on a spreadsheet.

Kwesi understood that if McCarthy and Turner work out (and let’s face it that IS an if, despite draft day excitement) this will go down in his legacy as a signature draft. Even if you draw the rest of it out of a hat. Years from now people will be saying “Oh yeah 2024, that’s the year we got McCarthy and Turner. Genius”.
Post #: 502
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2024 9:09:17 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Olson

I wish i had a Falcons fan friend so I could laugh at him

Dumbest pick maybe in NFL history

(Or is it the smartest pick, and we should all continue to laugh at them for signing Kirko for $100 mil guaranteed?)

Its passing on Kearse to draft Culpepper - but worse.
Post #: 503
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2024 9:10:40 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

I wish i had a Falcons fan friend so I could laugh at him

Dumbest pick maybe in NFL history

(Or is it the smartest pick, and we should all continue to laugh at them for signing Kirko for $100 mil guaranteed?)

They do need another QB....Rattler would have been a better choice in the 2nd.

Monumentally stupid pick. They signed Cousins to $100M guaranteed with the intent of winning now. Instead of taking an impact player at #8 who moves them closer to that goal they draft somebody they hope will take over after 2 years. Even if they needed a QB, Penix was a massive reach pick.

It is looking more like a 2 year plan for Kirk now. LOL

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 504
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2024 9:11:04 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

The evolution of Kwesi.

quote:

Obviously, I’m a spreadsheet guy myself, but sometimes, you’ve got to step out from there, take your Clark Kent glasses off, have a championship mindset and swing for a great player.”

This is what I want in a GM. He needs to have first and foremost a strong analytics foundation. That will drive long term stability. But you need to package that with realizing that sometimes things happen that can’t be adequately analyzed on a spreadsheet.

Kwesi understood that if McCarthy and Turner work out (and let’s face it that IS an if, despite draft day excitement) this will go down in his legacy as a signature draft. Even if you draw the rest of it out of a hat. Years from now people will be saying “Oh yeah 2024, that’s the year we got McCarthy and Turner. Genius”.

He did exactly what I've been begging him to do. Go get your guys.

We have enough decent players. We needed stars. He took two huge swings to attempt to do that.

Its the first time he's looked like a bonafide GM.
Post #: 505
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2024 10:34:05 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

How high might Turner have gone in a less top heavy offense start to the draft?

Is he a top 3 worthy prospect?

A lot of people considered him the best defender in the draft.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 506
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2024 10:38:04 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

If Atlanta were sane, he should have gone at 8

I was pretty confident they were taking Turner. I'm shocked at this pick.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 507
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2024 11:57:02 AM   
Chris Olson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

The evolution of Kwesi.

quote:

We have enough decent players. We needed stars. He took two huge swings to attempt to do that.

I agree...mostly

Not sure how we will feel about him next year when we have no day 2 pick again (although, the guess is we'll get a compensatory 3rd)

He gave up a lot, but so much better to get the quality we got in Turner...who else would be as much a difference maker as position of need? Maybe Arnold or Mitchell? Not sure those guys are as special as Turner can be...if he is Kearse II, then you never question the loss of a few mid round picks
Post #: 508
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2024 12:01:54 PM   
Todd M

Didn’t Cousins say it wasn’t his job to help someone steal his job?

I feel he did.

Either way I do not see a good QB room with the dynamics Atlanta has set up.

I think (hope) Darnold will work to get JJ ready.
Post #: 509
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2024 12:02:39 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

quote:

The evolution of Kwesi.

quote:

I agree...mostly

Not sure how we will feel about him next year when we have no day 2 pick again (although, the guess is we'll get a compensatory 3rd)

He gave up a lot, but so much better to get the quality we got in Turner...who else would be as much a difference maker as position of need? Maybe Arnold or Mitchell? Not sure those guys are as special as Turner can be...if he is Kearse II, then you never question the loss of a few mid round picks

The thing about next year, well two things really. First Kwesi said in his comments, there are ways of getting picks back. Next year’s draft choices could end up looking very different than they do now.

And even if it does stay mostly the same, I think it’s part of the plan to focus more heavily on free agency next year. They don’t make these decisions in a vacuum with no regard for the future.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 4/26/2024 12:11:35 PM >
Post #: 510
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2024 12:10:54 PM   
Todd M

Is there a $ line open for what we’ll do with our 1st pick next year.

We’ll 1000% trade down.
Post #: 511
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2024 12:14:53 PM   
Todd M

Facebook memory from 2013.

You can’t do better than that. Just a matter of time now!

After our 3 1st round picks.

It’s just a matter of time NOW of course!
Post #: 512
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2024 12:51:52 PM   
Chris Olson

quote:

Post #: 513
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2024 1:10:46 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

Which is another example of, while it's fine to be happy on draft day, no matter how much hype there is about these guys, it is ALWAYS a crap shoot.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 4/26/2024 2:47:13 PM >
Post #: 514
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2024 1:36:12 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

quote:

The evolution of Kwesi.

quote:

I have totally revised my opinion of Kwesi based on FA and this draft so far.
If we somehow finagle a beast Center/Guard out of this draft, I'm a very happy camper.
Quality over quantity, thank you very much.
We still need a beast NT and some DBs, but wow, we are on the right track.
Post #: 515
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2024 2:38:58 PM   
Todd M

I would not be surprised to see extensions handed out to Kwesi and Kevin. Sooner than later.
Post #: 516
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2024 3:47:42 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

quote:

quote:

The evolution of Kwesi.

quote:

If we somehow finagle a beast Center/Guard out of this draft, I'm a very happy camper.

Sweat from Texas would fit the bill perfectly. But, really no way to get him unless you trade O'Neill or JJ. Or 2025 1st.
Post #: 517
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2024 3:51:10 PM   
kgdabom

JJ's press conference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKi2ck51EDE

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 518
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2024 3:51:58 PM   
kgdabom

Dallas Turner Press conference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE6fUJ6qads

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 519
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2024 3:52:53 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

The evolution of Kwesi.

quote:

Sweat from Texas would fit the bill perfectly. But, really no way to get him unless you trade O'Neill or JJ. Or 2025 1st.

Sweat has been having a bad off season and due to it I'm guessing he's ours at 108 if we want him.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 520
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2024 3:57:26 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The evolution of Kwesi.

quote:

Sweat has been having a bad off season and due to it I'm guessing he's ours at 108 if we want him.

One DUI isn't taking him off teams' boards.
Post #: 521
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2024 4:29:24 PM   
Todd M

Hard to not fall for JJM listening to his press conference. Exactly how I want my QB to sound. Just an excellent job speaking.
Post #: 522
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2024 5:13:26 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Omaha has been hit with two confirmed tornadoes 3/4 inch hail only at my house .. a tornado missed us by about 5 miles.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 523
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2024 5:31:39 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The evolution of Kwesi.

quote:

One DUI isn't taking him off teams' boards.

It's more than that and it probably won't take him off people's boards, but it will drop him down a long ways IMO. We will see if he goes today or not. I'm really thinking not. Fun to watch.
EDIT: Sweat went early 2nd. I'm wrong and surprised.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 4/26/2024 6:41:26 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 524
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/26/2024 5:43:52 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

Omaha has been hit with two confirmed tornadoes 3/4 inch hail only at my house .. a tornado missed us by about 5 miles.

Glad you are okay.

Isn't Steve Lentz from Omaha also? And one other poster.

Hope everyone is safe who was in the path. Scary stuff.
Post #: 525
Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode