Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: Richard Neussendorfer
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  76 77 [78] 79 80   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2024 6:54:34 PM   
David Levine

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- It didn't take long for New York Giants fans to reach their boiling point -- two plays into the season opener, to be exact.

That is when the booing began. It went on sporadically for four quarters during a 28-6 drubbing at MetLife Stadium to Sam Darnold and the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday afternoon.

The Giants were booed off the field at halftime, when quarterback Daniel Jones bounced a pass and later threw a pair of interceptions, especially the one that was returned 10 yards for a touchdown.

Eventually all that could be heard in the final moments of the blowout was the Vikings fans' "Skol" chant reverberating throughout the stadium.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/41183391/new-york-giants-booed-field-week-1-drubbing-vikings
Post #: 1926
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2024 6:56:01 PM   
David Levine

The debut of quarterback Kirk Cousins with the new-look Atlanta Falcons did not go the way they had hoped.

The Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Falcons 18-10 on Sunday in Atlanta's Week 1 home opener and made what some expected to be a high-powered offense look pretty pedestrian.

Cousins was 16-of-26 for 155 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions. The last interception killed a fourth-quarter drive in a one-score game. Cousins had just 19 yards passing in the second half, the lowest total of his 13-year career.

"I was disappointed," Cousins said. "Certainly disappointed. You always go out there with an expectation that you're going to play at a high level, and we didn't play up to our standard today."

The team's defense allowed just 18 points, but its offense looked out of sorts throughout. A bad-snap fumble hit tight end Ross Dwelley while he was in motion. Penalties killed promising drives. It looks like there will be an adjustment period with first-year offensive coordinator Zac Robinson's system.

"Needed to play better," Cousins said. "That's the bottom line. I thought our defense played very well; I thought our special teams played very well. We didn't complement that enough on offense."

---------------

Cousins said he'll need to look at the game film to break down exactly what went wrong for the Falcons. He said he'd start right away and send voice notes to coaches over the next few hours.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/41182635/kirk-cousins-losing-falcons-debut-needed-play-better
Post #: 1927
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2024 7:43:53 PM   
marty

. Not a great day for the 1st round QBs.

Bears win, but Williams goes 14/29, 93 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs. Added 5/15 on the ground.

Daniels goes 12/19, 129 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs in a blowout loss. Does add 13/79/1 (2 FUM, neither lost) on the ground.

Nix goes 24/40, 128 yards, 0 TDs, 2 INTs, including a bad one into triple coverage to pretty much end the game. Added 4/31 on the ground.

I wonder how a healthy McCarthy would have done today against the Giants ?

Maybe the Vikings DID get the best QB of the top 6 QBs taken?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1928
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2024 8:34:13 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

The debut of quarterback Kirk Cousins with the new-look Atlanta Falcons did not go the way they had hoped.

The Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Falcons 18-10 on Sunday in Atlanta's Week 1 home opener and made what some expected to be a high-powered offense look pretty pedestrian.

Cousins was 16-of-26 for 155 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions. The last interception killed a fourth-quarter drive in a one-score game. Cousins had just 19 yards passing in the second half, the lowest total of his 13-year career.

"I was disappointed," Cousins said. "Certainly disappointed. You always go out there with an expectation that you're going to play at a high level, and we didn't play up to our standard today."

The team's defense allowed just 18 points, but its offense looked out of sorts throughout. A bad-snap fumble hit tight end Ross Dwelley while he was in motion. Penalties killed promising drives. It looks like there will be an adjustment period with first-year offensive coordinator Zac Robinson's system.

"Needed to play better," Cousins said. "That's the bottom line. I thought our defense played very well; I thought our special teams played very well. We didn't complement that enough on offense."

---------------

Cousins said he'll need to look at the game film to break down exactly what went wrong for the Falcons. He said he'd start right away and send voice notes to coaches over the next few hours.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/41182635/kirk-cousins-losing-falcons-debut-needed-play-better

I had that game on my laptop while I watched our game. That being said, I didn't see "every play of that game" but saw a lot of it and ours was over pretty early so I focused on the last 5 minutes of that game.

He continues to be who he is. He will make good throws when everything is on time. As soon as you interject chaos at him, he sucks. Pitt did that early and often and he was mentally gone. It was cathartic to watch him regress knowing maybe it wasn't just the Viking curse
Post #: 1929
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2024 9:43:53 PM  2 votes
Bill Johanesen

Dominant win!

Cousins sucks!

Love sucks!
Post #: 1930
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2024 10:29:11 PM   
Phil Riewer

Most teams look rusty early in the season from not playing or prepping enough to be ready.

I have to give KOC credit. We looked ready game one.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1931
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2024 10:39:05 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Lions just marched 70 yards in for the winning OT touchdown..

They are going to be a tough out @ Ford Field..
Post #: 1932
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2024 11:20:14 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

And just like that the Packers are alone in last place.
Post #: 1933
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/8/2024 11:37:16 PM   
beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

They looked pretty beatable tonight... Stafford put the team on his shoulders to keep Rams in the game, but too many mistakes... the facemask to wipe out a touchdown really hurt.
Post #: 1934
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2024 7:51:31 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

All teams look beatable in the opening game of the season.. except ours!
Post #: 1935
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2024 7:57:57 AM   
Todd M

Once teams learn that Jones is a force to be reckoned with we’ll be able to air it out to Jets more.

Could look real pretty.
Post #: 1936
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2024 8:17:36 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

---------------

I had that game on my laptop while I watched our game. That being said, I didn't see "every play of that game" but saw a lot of it and ours was over pretty early so I focused on the last 5 minutes of that game.

He continues to be who he is. He will make good throws when everything is on time. As soon as you interject chaos at him, he sucks. Pitt did that early and often and he was mentally gone. It was cathartic to watch him regress knowing maybe it wasn't just the Viking curse

And I heard on KFAN after the game that Cousins pulled a Cousins or two on the last drive with a chance to tie...Threw short of the sticks and then didn't get to spiking the ball in a timely manner either...

Falcons fans are already figuring out the problem with Cousins right from the start. Chaos makes him fold like mentioned above and then when it's all on the line and you need a guy to elevate his game. He regresses his. He can win you some games but will likely lose you a bunch late with these shenanigans.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 1937
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2024 9:29:42 AM   
Trekgeekscott

My .02

Darnold looked better than good. He was throwing dimes. The pass to JJ, you all know which one I am referring to, was perfect. His only INT his arm was hit and the WR Sherfield didn't try to knock the ball down. He didn't look overwhelmed underpressure and didn't try to do too much.
Van Ginkel was EVERYWHERE.
Aaron Jones still has gas in the tank....lots of it.
Early gaffs didn't put us in a hole
Defense came to play. Granted it was the Giants. Daniel Jones is terrible, but even given a short field to defend they kept them out of the endzone all day long. Greeenad was pushing his guy into the pocket all the time. DTs where holding the line and stopping the run. DBs were usually in good position. Several sacks some were coverage sacks. Patrick Jones II with two. Dallas Turner got his first. Harrison Smith, pulled a whily veteran move on the INT. Van Ginkel was study produced too. They came to play.

Defense was fierce and intense. Offense was efficient. Game was in hand my mid 4th quarter.

Early returns are good. Now we have some tests.
None of the next 6-7 games are going to be easy.

Packers might be a bit easier now that Love is out...but I still think he's a bit overrated and quite a bit overpaid.

Post #: 1938
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2024 9:59:30 AM  1 votes
Tom Sykes

Was travelling, couldnt watch the game. followed online play by play when I could and game day thread loosely.

Sounds like as clean of a performance as we could have hoped for off the launch pad.

Really hard to tell first game and in a game with someone really bad. even so, in our 13-4 2022 season it would have somehow been a close score at the end.

Must have been nice to watch us play at ‘our’ level instead of the level of the opponent.

Thats a big difference from our recent history. who knows if it will hold up but you cant be legit if you’re not spanking the people you should. at least, spanking is my standard for a legit good time.

Next up is maintaining our game against, on paper, better teams. not getting spanked. no more philly dallas blowouts like 2022.

I’m encouraged for sure. I worry about having a lynchpin RB who is fragile without solid depth … it obviously makes things hum. but the qb play and feisty defense give hope.

imo Darnold’s main weakness even in college has been over-aggressiveness / trying to do too much when not necessary. That can be a big frustrating bite you pain … but its a different big pain than Cousins’ shrinking violet routine. very interested to see the difference in temperament between the two if koc is able to bring out the strengths of Darnold’s game like he did with Cousins.

(I love the fact that Gods lonely man Cousins went so unabashedly for the money, so publicly, then atl under-handedly drafted someone after smash-mouthing our qb away … and we didn’t even need a small bandaid / little squirt of bactine / franchise crippling move up in the draft to move on. just a quick rinse with soap and water and we are so much better off. even with McCarthy sidelined. incredible.)

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 9/9/2024 10:01:09 AM >
Post #: 1939
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2024 10:24:39 AM   
Lars

My $0.02:

I agree with a lot of what Trek said, so no need to repeat it. Some things I will emphasize:

Aaron Jones looked great. Great power, speed and vision. All of the stuff I used to hate on him for! He will be more effective as a game goes on.

Kicker looks good.

Darnold played very well.

The defense was solid.

Well coached and organized.

Too many times we were snapping the ball as the clock was expiring - could have had a number of delay calls, IMO.

Took care of business and no sleepwalking late in the game.

Overall, only slightly better than I expected. I think the expectations for this team are too low.

Other games:

Anyone sad Cousins is gone?! LMFAO!

Pack - overrated. As is J. Love.

DAL - overrated. That Dak contract....LMFAO!!

DEF and ST bailed out Caleb W. I'm not a believer...

DET is an above-average team - nothing more.

<this space for rent>
Post #: 1940
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2024 10:41:16 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

(I love the fact that Gods lonely man Cousins went so unabashedly for the money, so publicly ....

I could understand the first, fully guaranteed, contract. And I don't dig ripping people who don't rip other people, but having to have the money and not work with an organization that did you right left me with with less than great memories of the guy. What are you going to do with it, or why was it so important to have all those big numbers if it wasn't pride and ego? Maybe Im out of line and he has plans for homeless shelters in every city, helping bring an end to world hunger, etc. I don't know ... just not a great ending for me. I like Brady's legacy with regards to contracts and team, not so much "my boy" Cousins' ...

Felt a need to respond, not necessarily to Tom's point, but all the people who have listened to my side for years and like me are hoping to move on to some better years ahead.
Post #: 1941
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2024 11:11:46 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

(I love the fact that Gods lonely man Cousins went so unabashedly for the money, so publicly ....

I could understand the first, fully guaranteed, contract. And I don't dig ripping people who don't rip other people, but having to have the money and not work with an organization that did you right left me with with less than great memories of the guy. What are you going to do with it, or why was it so important to have all those big numbers if it wasn't pride and ego? Maybe Im out of line and he has plans for homeless shelters in every city, helping bring an end to world hunger, etc. I don't know ... just not a great ending for me. I like Brady's legacy with regards to contracts and team, not so much "my boy" Cousins' ...

Felt a need to respond, not necessarily to Tom's point, but all the people who have listened to my side for years and like me are hoping to move on to some better years ahead.

1) Few things to add about Darnold:

a) Seasoned veteran at 26.
b) why don't we always have 2 capable QBs?
c) very efficient---love the fact that every pass seemed to have purpose plus he seems more move the stick type which I like.

Defense:
a) Seems so much deeper and faster than even last year.
b) GM and FO did a marvelous job to where Ward and Jones are bench players that can rotate in and not hurt us.

Post #: 1942
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2024 11:32:23 AM   
Bill Johanesen

It's worth enjoying the win. Who is next? GB? Overrated as usual.
Post #: 1943
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2024 11:39:37 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

It's worth enjoying the win. Who is next? GB? Overrated as usual.

49ers at home
Texans at Home
Lambeau to play what will appear to be a rudderless Packers offense
Then off to London to play the Jets.

Post #: 1944
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2024 11:40:44 AM   
Todd M

2 things I loved about Aaron Jones.

One - he can get the corner

Two - even though I didn’t want him in late he muscled for yards.
Post #: 1945
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2024 11:45:09 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M
2 things I loved about Aaron Jones.
One - he can get the corner
Two - even though I didn’t want him in late he muscled for yards.

Also he is great in the Red Zone....in 1 game he scored more than Mattison did last year (0 TDs in 180 rushing Attempts).
Our running game was so so bad last year....inept in the red zone to boot.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 9/9/2024 11:48:24 AM >

Post #: 1946
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2024 11:56:07 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

To your point ...

greasing your public persona with positivity and religious homilies while your financial and contractual machinations suck the interests of your football family and fans dry, in my book, is ten times worse than being a loudmouth who 'rips on other people.'
Post #: 1947
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2024 12:00:18 PM  1 votes
Tom Sykes

If Cousins had produced something of commensurate value ... well ok then.

We're capitalists for God's sake. You can't fault someone for tying to maximize their personal gain.

How you go about it matters though.

His value is in the rearview mirror now ... and ATL's problem. As long as their interests don't interfere with our interests ...
Post #: 1948
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2024 12:12:22 PM   
Bill Johanesen

49ers next. Interesting WRT bad team-good team scenario.
Post #: 1949
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/9/2024 12:21:02 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

To your point ...

greasing your public persona with positivity and religious homilies while your financial and contractual machinations suck the interests of your football family and fans dry, in my book, is ten times worse than being a loudmouth who 'rips on other people.'

That wasn't really my point, more of a side bar explaining it wasn't my need to jump into the Counsins "dislike." No doubt Counsins was/is a polarizing figure for sure
Post #: 1950
Page:   <<   < prev  76 77 [78] 79 80   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  76 77 [78] 79 80   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode