Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: the number 33

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: the number 33 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: the number 33 - 5/27/2008 2:13:42 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Yeap, if Pitt doesn't take game 3 they have no hope left.  They are barely holding on right now IMO.
Post #: 76
RE: the number 33 - 5/29/2008 8:41:44 AM   
So.Mn.Fan

The Wings drop a game (by one goal) to a team playing like Spider monkeys jacked up on Mountain Dew, and suddenly all the experts are declaring this an even series?
I'm gonna have to see another game to believe the Pens can really stay with them.
Detroit didn't play it's best, and still had many, many chances to tie or win late.
Lots of "Deer in the Headlights" looks on NBC people last night, wish the coverage would stay with one network.
Many non-fans have made Versus out to be a joke, but they have done a wonderful job of covering the NHL, imo.
Can't blame them.
(Sure wish ESPN would take the contract back, tho)
Post #: 77
RE: the number 33 - 5/29/2008 10:43:37 AM   
Tim Cady

Sure wish ESPN wouldn't be such friggin babys about Versus. In their attempts to crush versus(see PTI), they pay more attention to Lacrosse at the college level than the NHL. Barry Melrose is a pimp in my book, as much as I enjoy his take, I am disgusted by his willingness to just pocket the cash for his 2 and a half minutes of work a day. Like the article Scott posted last week, ESPN should be ashamed of themselves and monopolistic ways.

ESPN is disgusting in it's lack of NCAA/FRozen four and the WCHA final five acknowledgement as well. Would it kill them to designate a Hockey tonight half hour slot? Similiar to their baseball tonight, NFL Live and crappy NBA shows with Ahmad Rashad? Its not like they don't repeat SportsCenter about 10 more times than necessary.

Where is the intregrity? I love the Versus coverage, would be nice if the Satellite companies would locate their station one away from the giant that is ESPN. So the casuals could at least accidentally click on it.
Post #: 78
RE: the number 33 - 5/29/2008 11:12:48 AM   
So.Mn.Fan

Great points Tim.
Agree on all.
Love Melrose and Buccigross, but like you say, they should be fighting for the league, not for their own clothing allowances.
Great point on location/location/location also.
Versus in the 600s, ESPNs in the 200s.
Guys like you and I are as die-hard as can get, yet I'll have nights during the season where it just never dawns on me to switch over there until the game is half-over, and all I'm left saying is "doh!".
Post #: 79
RE: the number 33 - 5/29/2008 5:34:35 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Sad story out of Vancouver, rookie D-man Luc Bourdon, 21, dies in motorcycle accident.
Promising young player who had made it up to the big club for about half the year.

SHIPPAGAN, New Brunswick -- Luc Bourdon received his motorcycle license two weeks before his bike veered into a truck on a winding, two-lane road, instantly killing the rookie defenseman for the Vancouver Canucks.
Investigators said Friday that Bourdon's inexperience on a motorcycle may have played a role in his death.
"The impact took place in the opposite lane," Inspector Roch Fortin said during a news conference at Shippagan town hall, where flags were at half-staff. "The truck driver tried everything in his power to avoid the accident."
Fortin suggested weather might also have been a factor in the crash in this remote, largely Acadian area where Bourdon was regarded as a hero for making it to the NHL.
The Mountie said the wind was gusting heavily at the time on the road between Shippagan and Lameque. He said Bourdon's bike crossed the center line and collided head-on with the truck.
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said a moment of silence will be observed Saturday before Game 4 of the Stanley Cup finals between the Detroit Red Wings and Pittsburgh Penguins. He said the ceremony will "honor a young life ended long before its promise could be fulfilled."
"The National Hockey League family grieves with the family, friends and teammates of Luc Bourdon," Bettman said in a statement from Pittsburgh.
Bourdon's uncle, Robert Boucher, said his nephew was so dedicated to hockey that he took no time off in the last five years as he pursued his dream of playing in the NHL. He said Bourdon came home to Shippagan this week for a month vacation to play golf and be with friends. Many of them rode motorcycles.
"He loved to have fun," Boucher said in French during a news conference in this community of 3,000 about 150 miles north of Fredericton. "Like anyone who is 21, he loved motorcycles. He wanted to buy a bike. That was his choice."
Bourdon was the first-round draft pick of the Canucks in 2005, selected 10th overall. He split last season between Vancouver and Manitoba of the American Hockey League. He played 27 games with the Canucks, scoring two goals and drawing 20 penalty minutes. He played a key role in Canada's gold-winning teams at the 2006 and 2007 world junior championships.
Boucher described his nephew as someone who "liked to be crazy and do crazy things."
"He was always ready to help people out -- people in the family and others as well," he said. "We lost our little Luc, but I think that Shippagan as well has lost someone important."
The crash occurred not far from Bathurst, where an accident in January killed seven members of the Bathurst High basketball team and an adult.
Anna Boucher, Bourdon's great-aunt, said the family is struggling.
"It's so sad," she said. "He was a good guy."
She said that although Bourdon's NHL career took him to Vancouver, he often returned to Shippagan.
"He came to the arena and he used to talk to all the little guys there and he used to play hockey with them," she said from her home in Shippagan.
Jacques Robichaud lives across the street from Luc Bourdon's father.
"Naturally, the community is saddened," Robichaud said in French. "We all followed his hockey career from the beginning."

< Message edited by So.Mn.Fan -- 5/30/2008 12:35:48 PM >
Post #: 80
RE: the number 33 - 5/31/2008 3:06:43 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Big one tonight.
If Pitt gets it to 2-2, it may go the distance.
If it goes 3-1, it's ovah.
Holmstrom a game-time decision.
I don't think it will matter. Detroit is clearly the better team imo.
They don't have flashy stars, they just have a guy or two at every position who is better than yours.
Solid and smart and can play any style you choose.
Post #: 81
RE: the number 33 - 6/1/2008 9:43:28 AM   
So.Mn.Fan

Don Cherry lets the Penguins have it.
Guy kills me. Sees it from the fans point of view.
You can almost see Levy and Melrose scrunch their sphincters when they see where he's going.
Tells it like it is.
Wish he'd critique the Wild's play some day.
Would love to hear what he'd say.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3420936&categoryId=2459791

< Message edited by So.Mn.Fan -- 6/1/2008 9:44:35 AM >
Post #: 82
RE: the number 33 - 6/2/2008 5:17:47 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Methinks the NHL season ends tonight.
Detroit a deserving champion, as much as I don't like to say that.
They were the best early, the best in the middle, the best late, the best now.
Another model to use .... not the toughest, or most-skilled, or flashiest, just the best.
Smart wins hockey games on every level.
And they are definitely the most-smartest.
Puck movement, puck movement to the right places at the right time.
Post #: 83
RE: the number 33 - 6/3/2008 7:15:49 AM   
So.Mn.Fan

Nope, season continues.
Incredible game.
Intensity that every finals game should have.
Detroit dominant but a hot goalie can win you a game.
Osgood was great, but Fleury was incredible.
More hockey is always a good thing.  
Post #: 84
RE: the number 33 - 6/3/2008 10:25:37 AM   
Jeff Jesser

I said earlier that Fluery would have to stand on his head for them to have a chance and I may have finally gotten one right.  He let in a terrible goal.  At that point I thought it was over but in the 3rd and OT he was a beast.  If he continues to play like that they have a legit chance.  Great game but I'm damn tired 
Post #: 85
RE: the number 33 - 6/4/2008 1:22:00 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: So.Mn.Fan

Nope, season continues.
Incredible game.
Intensity that every finals game should have.
Detroit dominant but a hot goalie can win you a game.
Osgood was great, but Fleury was incredible.
More hockey is always a good thing.  

Crazy game!

I didn't start watching until the 1st over-time.
You are right, Detroit has been dominant (the whole series) with puck control and time of possession (where's the TOP stat in Hockey?).
A hot goalie really tilts outcomes regardless of the better team in this sport...
I doubt the Pens push this to 7, but I'm looking forward to watching them try tonight!

Jeff,
I was falling asleep during the 2nd overtime and we're 2 hours earlier than you!

< Message edited by kevinemmer -- 6/4/2008 1:23:43 PM >
Post #: 86
RE: the number 33 - 6/4/2008 1:39:06 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Ahhhh yeah.  Big Sky territory.  I love it out there!!  I wish my industry had a presence out your way Kevin.  That would be top of the list for my areas of living.  
Post #: 87
RE: the number 33 - 6/4/2008 5:17:06 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

My how things change.
Certainly looks like we're headed for 7 games.
Got a kick out of the Pittsburgh beat writer on ESPN today.
Said the Pens got over a big hump by out-playing the RedWings for much of Game 5.
Huh? Did I miss something?
He discredited the 60-30 shot differential as "Detroit just threw pucks at the net"
Umm, yeah , they did, as they were constantly buzzing all over the Penguin zone!
Pitt will be sky-high and most likely will win this one tonight.
Scary thing for Detroit is that it will take a lot to stop the momentum if they do lose these two in a row.
Pitt is much younger, and their legs may be fresh enough to pull this miracle off.
But I wouldn't bet on it. 
Post #: 88
RE: the number 33 - 6/4/2008 9:36:43 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Wings doubling up on the Pens again in shots.
They are a machine.
Sorry, it's just true some years, ya gotta tip your cap and move on.
Post #: 89
RE: the number 33 - 6/5/2008 9:00:06 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Wow, great game last night.  Rams/Titans type of ending.  That last minute was crazy.  I finally got one right too!  Det in 6 and Fluery gave up 2 softies again.  That was the key to the series IMO.  You had to know that Detroit would just pepper them all series long.  When he was a wall, the Pens won.  When he came back down to earth, they lost. 

BTW- I'm not bagging on the kid.  He played an outstanding series.  It justs, when you are that over matched from top to bottom you have to be super human like to come out on top.  Kudos to the Pens for making it a series.  It could have gotten ugly 2 games down.  I'm talking Wild vs Anehiem ugly in the conference finals (i.e. one worthless ass goal in the whole series).
Post #: 90
NHL - 6/6/2008 5:36:05 PM   
Stacey King

The Edmonton Oilers traded defenceman Danny Syvret to the Philadelphia Flyers on Friday for forward Ryan Potulny.

Potulny, a 23-year-old native of Grand Forks, N.D., had one assist in seven games for the Flyers this season. He also had 21 goals and 47 points for the AHL’s Philadelphia Phantoms.

“Ryan was a good player for our organization, but this was a deal based on a need, as we added depth to our defence,” Holmgren said.
Post #: 91
NHL - 6/11/2008 12:15:35 PM   
Stacey King

Trip down memory lane for old North Star fans in here-

Red Fisher of the Montreal Gazette listed his Top 10 Canadien trades in their history.

Acquiring Bobby Smith from the North Stars came in at 9.

Used to love that Payne-Smith-McAdam line back when the North Stars started to turn the corner and become good.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

#9 Bobby Smith: Dealt to Montreal from Minnesota for Keith Acton, Mark Napier and a third-round draft choice (acquired from Toronto) on Oct. 28, 1983
RED FISHER, The GazetteCanadiens fans with long memories remember their team of the second half of the 1970s as one of the best ever assembled - and for all of the right reasons. How could anyone forget a dynasty that won four consecutive Stanley Cups from 1975-76 through 1978-79 - losing only 46 of 320 regular-season games?

How do you forget a team that included Hall of Fame names such as Cournoyer, Dryden, Gainey, Lafleur, Lapointe, Lemaire, Robinson, Savard and Shutt?

It was a team that lost only one of 40 home games (4-3 to Boston) and seven on the road in 1976-77, winning a franchise-high 60 games. The following season, the Canadiens "slipped" to 10 losses while winning 59 of their 80 games. The players' names were on everyone's lips, but hockey people added another going into the 1978 entry draft.

Bobby Smith had scored 69 goals and 123 assists in only 61 games with the Ottawa 67's that season. He was Minnesota's No. 1 overall choice in the draft. He had everything, starting with size - 6-foot-4, 210 pounds.

It got even better in 1978-79, when he won the Calder Trophy as rookie of the year, and in only his third NHL season Smith helped guide the North Stars to the Stanley Cup final against the New York Islanders, who went on to win their second of four consecutive championships.

The Canadiens got Smith 10 games into the 1983-84 season for Mark Napier, Keith Acton and a third-round draft choice in a trade GM Serge Savard says probably was the best one he's ever made involving players from both teams. Smith had scored only three times in his first 10 games with the North Stars, but he paid immediate dividends with 26 goals and 37 assists in the remaining 70 for the Canadiens.

"I don't think I would have won the Stanley Cup in '86 without him," Savard said recently. "He gave us a dimension we didn't have ... he gave us size. I'm not saying he was the best player on the team, but he gave us what we needed. He brought a lot of character to the team. You noticed him every time he was on the ice."

Said Smith: "Obviously, 21 years later I'm flattered by that comment. We had a lot of good players on that team and I think subsequent years proved just how good some of our players were when you saw the types of careers the young guys on that team ... Patrick Roy, Chris Chelios, Claude Lemieux, Brian Skrudland and Mike McPhee went on to have.

"Both teams that played in the finals that year (the Canadiens handled the Calgary Flames in five games) were real teams," Smith added. "Both had a lot of depth, and I'm just pleased that I was a contributing member of that team.

"Patrick won the Conn Smythe. He was a key player, obviously, and it was just the start of a wonderful career for him. I probably brought some good play offensively on the power play to the team that maybe had not been there.

"I've said to people that Mats Naslund was the best player I've ever played with," Smith continued. "Obviously, Guy Lafleur was a better player than him, but I played with Guy at the end of his career. Lafleur's career and Patrick's career and Chris Chelios's career were better than Naslund's career, but for that one season (1985-86) when he scored 110 points, I believe that was the best season that any teammate of mine ever had.

"I remember that one of my best years was with Ryan Walter and Lemieux. I also had lots of success when Mats and I played together, and we also played on the power play together."

Smith scored in double-digit numbers in his first five complete seasons with the North Stars, including 43 goals in 1981-82, but says he was thrilled when the trade to the Canadiens was made.

"I was 24 ... 25 years old," he recalled, "and I said right away that when my career is over, I will look back on my days in Montreal, just because I always thought it was a very special privilege to play for the Montreal Canadiens. I've said if I were a baseball player, I'd want to spend part of my career with the New York Yankees. And to get to spend part of it with the Canadiens was a thrill."

Smith, who handled GM responsibilities with the Phoenix Coyotes for three seasons and parts of two others, reads the papers, so he's aware the thrill is gone - and has been for some years among top-tier players.

"This will be my 15th year out of the NHL," Smith said. "I know when I played, guys were always thrilled to play for the Canadiens or the Calgary Flames. I'm not around current players anymore, so I don't really know what their feelings are."

Smith slipped to 16 goals and 40 assists in his second season with the Canadiens, but his best was yet to come in Season 3 when, as Savard mentioned, he played a formidable role - with gusts up to priceless - in bringing the Stanley Cup to the city for the first time in seven seasons. It started with his 31 goals and 55 assists playing on a line with Mats Naslund, whose 43 goals and 67 assists make him the last Canadiens player to score more than 100 points in a season. Smith added seven goals and eight assists in the playoffs, including the Cup-winning goal in a 4-3 victory in Calgary.

That was the only Stanley Cup win for Smith, even though he was to deliver eye-catching
offence with 75, 93 and 83 points in his next three seasons in Montreal. In 1989, he was to score 11 goals and eight assists in the playoffs en route to another Stanley Cup final showdown with the Flames. This time, however, Calgary scored an upset win in six games, winning the finale at the Forum 4-2.

Two seasons later, Smith was back where it all began - scoring eight goals and eight assists for a Minnesota team coached by a chap named Bob Gainey in a Stanley Cup final with the heavily favoured Pittsburgh Penguins. The Penguins won in six games, but only after Minnesota had taken a 2-1 lead in the series.
Post #: 92
RE: NHL - 6/13/2008 8:47:10 AM   
Stacey King

Good for Hartsy.  One of my favorite North Stars.

Former Canadian World Juniors and Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds head coach Craig Hartsburg will be introduced as the new bench boss of the Ottawa Senators today.
Post #: 93
RE: NHL - 6/13/2008 11:01:27 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Hartsburg, Giles and Gordy Roberts.  The names of my youth!
Post #: 94
RE: NHL - 6/14/2008 1:10:33 AM   
So.Mn.Fan

Great to have Craig back in the NHL.
Class act.
Hear ya, JJ ...
I have a paper-thin authentic NS #10 jersey with Roberts on it. I wore that sucker out.
Loved the guy, he was an incredible pick-up for us on probably our best team.
My buddies and I were sitting next to the penalty box one of the first nights he played for us.
He pummeled someone, skated to the box, and gave us all the biggest smile and thumbs-up.
Won us over.  
Post #: 95
RE: NHL - 6/24/2008 6:11:50 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Awesome to have Melrose back in the L.
He's great for the NHL.
Lightning have players. They didn't like Tortorella, they'll love Barry.
And what a great staff, with Wes Walz and Rick Tocchet.
Was hoping we'd use Walz before someone else came and got him. I think the Lightning just became my second-favorite club.

< Message edited by So.Mn.Fan -- 6/24/2008 6:18:31 PM >
Post #: 96
RE: NHL - 6/28/2008 12:58:31 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Friday, June 27, 2008

TEAM

Waived left wing Todd Bertuzzi.

Re-signed centers Craig Conroy and Daymond Langkow, left wing Eric Nystrom and goaltender Curtis McElhinney.

Signed left wing Loui Eriksson to a two-year contract.

Waived center Shawn Bates.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

TEAM

Extended qualifying offers to right wings B.J. Crombeen, Vojtech Polak, Konstantin Pushkarev, left wings Loui Eriksson and Francis Wathier and defenseman Vadim Khomitski.

Signed right wing P.A. Parenteau to a contract extension.
Post #: 97
RE: NHL - 6/28/2008 1:01:51 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Best/worst hockey films list.
Totally disagree on most of the article.
Believe me, I've seen 'em all.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?page=screenshots080619
My list later.
Post #: 98
RE: NHL - 6/28/2008 2:10:05 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Best -
I'd have to go
5. Mighty Ducks .... solely for the fact that it got hockey ingrained better into society, it made it cool for little kids to play the game.
4. Slap Shot .... solely for the fact that it got hockey into the mainstream, no matter how goofy they made it look. Too corny for me, tried too hard to be funny, too many contrived scenes. Great characters, but too much other meaningless B.S. to be taken seriously as a "hockey movie". The action scenes are horrible, imo.
3 1/2. Youngblood ..... hockey needed this story to be told. It got many kids to keep playing, even when it got tough. Not great action, but goosebump stuff. The concept was great. Hot dog changes his game and wins the girl. Who doesn't enjoy that. Ed Lauter was great as the grumpy coach. Old NHL tough-guy Erik Nesterenko has the best part, as Dean's tough Dad who shows him the way of the world when he needs it to protect himself. That's a goosebump scene for me, when he teaches his son how to throw down.  
3. Les Chiefs .... realistic look at the good and bad sides of small-town hopes and big-time dreams. Harsh, but real. Slow documentary style that won't appeal to most, it's more about personalities and tragedy than about hockey and action.
2. The Rocket .... loved it. Tried very hard. Dark and slow but very historically correct and told a great story about prejudice and how to overcome fears and roadblocks. Didn't rely on anything fancy, just laid out the gritty truth.
1. Miracle ... And it's not even close. Really don't understand the hate, especially from hockey players. I've been in hockey locker rooms for 30 years, and yeah, we all swear and carry on. Just because Disney took that out, they didn't compromise the feel of the game or the personality of the characters. You can't tell Brooks or O'Callahan were nasty s.o.b.s without the language? That's your problem. Kurt Russell was amazing. The young players were amazing. They put their hearts and souls into the greatest sports story ever told and pulled it off. I stood in my Dad's machine shed that cold dark day in 1980, because that was the only radio I could even begin to pull a signal of the game from. I cried the entire third period. It changed my life. It got me to believe in dreams and in hope. It made me want to spend the rest of my life involved in the game, and ever since, I have been, playing and now coaching. So for a movie to be made about something that important to me, you'd think they could never get it right. They did. I've watched it more than any other movie in my life, and I still get goosebumps and have to turn away at several points in the film every time, from the tears. Every time. My best friend is from Canada, he was barely born at the time of the event, and he is moved by it as well. It's a great story that applies to almost every aspect of life. It just also happens to be about hockey.

The worst?   
The sequels to The Duck Movies, the sequel to SlapShot, and the Primate one.
Any movie that makes the sport look stupid aren't very well-received in the real hockey world.
Did enjoy "Strange Brew" however, "Luke, I'm your Father" or "Hoser, you're in the crease, eh?"
Post #: 99
RE: NHL - 6/28/2008 7:58:02 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Hmmm.  I can't disagree per se, even though I've never seen Les Chiefs but.....

Slapshot is probably my all time favorite movie bar none. 
Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: the number 33 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode