Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Free Agent Tracker

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Free Agent Tracker Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Free Agent Tracker - 7/17/2008 12:43:44 PM   
Jeff Jesser

SRV cleared waivers but word is it's only because his arbitration is so close. GM's won't have time to get a case together. 
Post #: 126
RE: Free Agent Tracker - 7/17/2008 4:53:24 PM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

SRV cleared waivers but word is it's only because his arbitration is so close. GM's won't have time to get a case together. 

But doesn't that tell him other teams don't think he is worth as much as he thinks he does?

Fargo
Post #: 127
RE: Free Agent Tracker - 7/17/2008 4:59:51 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Dandy rant, JJ.
Saved me some ink. 
Less of  DR fan every day.
I've been very patient.
I'm done being patient.
I want a kick-ass pro hockey team here in MN and I want it now.
Post #: 128
RE: Free Agent Tracker - 7/18/2008 9:14:36 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Frenette

quote:

But doesn't that tell him other teams don't think he is worth as much as he thinks he does?

It clearly shows he's not quite worth what he thought but I think the biggest reason someone didn't snatch him up was because they were scared of the arbitration.  They didn't have enought time to do all the research since it's right around the corner.
Post #: 129
RE: Free Agent Tracker - 7/18/2008 9:50:35 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: So.Mn.Fan

Dandy rant, JJ.
Saved me some ink. 
Less of  DR fan every day.
I've been very patient.
I'm done being patient.
I want a kick-ass pro hockey team here in MN and I want it now.

Couldn't help it man.  SRV is my boy (blue).  It wasn't only that though.  It was a culmination of things.  That one just set me off but the language was totally unnecessary. 
Post #: 130
RE: Free Agent Tracker - 7/21/2008 9:03:18 AM   
Jeff Jesser

SRV back with a 1 year deal.  
Post #: 131
RE: Free Agent Tracker - 7/21/2008 5:43:22 PM   
TJSweens

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 132
RE: Free Agent Tracker - 7/26/2008 11:50:47 AM   
So.Mn.Fan

Burnside's Summer ratings after the FA-Rush

With the exception of future Hall of Famer Brendan Shanahan, Mats Sundin (the ponderous one), Joe Sakic and Teemu Selanne, all the big-name free agents have been snapped up, and the complexion of the vast majority of NHL teams is well-established heading into the dog days of summer.

Here's a look at our Summer Power Rankings with less than two months to go before the start of training camp:

Eastern Conference

1. Pittsburgh Penguins
Never mind the absence of Marian Hossa, Ryan Malone, Jarkko Ruutu and Georges Laraque, the Penguins still have the most formidable lineup down the middle of any team in the NHL, with Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal, plus an emerging elite netminder in Marc-Andre Fleury.

2. Montreal Canadiens
Many folks will pick the Habs to win the East next season, but Carey Price will have to prove he's over this spring's playoff meltdown before we hop on that train. Sundin will make that bandwagon pretty crowded if he signs on with the Habs.

3. Philadelphia Flyers
What do Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Braydon Coburn, Daniel Briere, Kimmo Timonen et al do for an encore after going from 30th overall in 2006-07 to a berth in the Eastern Conference finals? How about a return trip?

4. New York Rangers
The Rangers have been flirting with contender status for three seasons now, and they'll have a dramatically different look with Wade Redden, Nikolai Zherdev and Dmitri Kalinin in and Jaromir Jagr, Shanahan (we assume) and Martin Straka out. Different, but not necessarily better.

5. Washington Capitals
OK, the defense is still a little suspect and there's Jose Theodore in net, but this Caps team can light it up with any team in the league.

6. New Jersey Devils
We put the Devils here because they're always better than we expect they'll be. This will be true again with the addition of Brian Rolston and the continued growth of an underappreciated blue-line corps.

7. Carolina Hurricanes
Yes, the Hurricanes have missed the playoffs twice in a row after winning the Cup in 2006, but they missed the cut by a single point this spring and have improved themselves along the blue line with the addition of Joni Pitkanen. If healthy, they're a playoff team.

8. Tampa Bay Lightning
The Lightning will be much more imposing offensively this season with the addition of Malone, Radim Vrbata, Gary Roberts and Adam Hall. Defense is young, and goaltending is unproven. Still, a playoff team in the mediocre East.

9. Buffalo Sabres
The Sabres inked netminder Ryan Miller to a long-term deal and added stabilizing force on the blue line with Craig Rivet. Veteran defenseman Teppo Numminen likely will return to help a talented young lineup, which took a step backward in missing the playoffs this past season.

10. Ottawa Senators
The Senators have devolved quickly from a Stanley Cup finalist in 2007 into a one-line team with ordinary goaltending.

11. Boston Bruins
The Bruins missed out on Hossa, but got better by subtracting aging Glen Murray. Look for Michael Ryder to return to 30-goal form with the B's.

12. Florida Panthers
Still waiting for the Panthers to realize their potential. Maybe rookie coach Pete DeBoer can manage to make that happen. Or not.

13. Toronto Maple Leafs
Little to recommend on the Leafs up front with the departures of Darcy Tucker (bought out), captain Sundin (we assume) and Kyle Wellwood. Defense is actually better than people think. But not much.

14. New York Islanders
Well, GM Garth Snow will have no one to blame now that he has canned Ted Nolan.

15. Atlanta Thrashers
The Thrashers, Leafs and Isles look to be in a heated battle for the No. 1 pick in next summer's draft and the chance to land super prospect John Tavares. That's about as good as it gets for the Thrashers, whose spotty lineup promises to make rookie coach John Anderson's first season a long one.

Western Conference

1. Detroit Red Wings
The defending Stanley Cup champs pick up one of the top two-way forwards in the game in Hossa to go with accomplished all-around players Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg. Also picked up a more than capable backup for Chris Osgood in Ty Conklin and remain the gold standard for all other NHL teams.

2. San Jose Sharks
Ho hum, another offseason of heightened expectation in San Jose with blue-chip puck-moving defenseman Dan Boyle playing the role previously held by Brian Campbell. Rob Blake will be a welcome addition, although the Sharks are suddenly looking less and less youthful and more and more old and desperate. Not a bad thing, but different.

3. Dallas Stars
Stars are deep down the middle, have a nice collection of emerging defensemen and a bona fide leader in Brenden Morrow, and added a nice agitating touch in Sean Avery. Did they overachieve in advancing to the Western Conference finals for the first time since 2000? We don't think so.

4. Anaheim Ducks
Still a formidable lineup from the goal on out, but the Ducks slipped offensively last season. Brendan Morrison will help bring much-needed depth down the middle and could possibly line up with Selanne if the Finnish Flash ever gets off his couch and makes a decision about his future.

5. Edmonton Oilers
There isn't much to separate about 10 teams in the middle of the conference pack, and the Oilers, who missed the playoffs by a scant three points after a late-season surge, have improved their back end with the addition of Lubomir Visnovsky and their talented young forward corps with the addition of Erik Cole.

6. Chicago Blackhawks
Like the Oilers, the Blackhawks finished three points out of the last playoff berth and added two big pieces to what should be their playoff puzzle. In Chicago, it's puck-moving defenseman Campbell and steady netminder Cristobal Huet. With rookie of the year Patrick Kane and new captain Jonathan Toews maturing, this is a team ready to take a big jump.

7. Calgary Flames
We love the addition of Mike Cammalleri as a possible center for Jarome Iginla, and let's assume Miikka Kiprusoff's on-off 2007-08 season was an aberration. If so, the Flames should be in the hunt in the crowded Northwest Division.

8. Nashville Predators
The Predators boast one of the best young defensive lineups in the league and are well-coached. They score by committee, but don't score quite enough and will miss Alexander Radulov if he can't be repatriated from Russia.

9. Minnesota Wild
It doesn't take much to take a slide in the Northwest Division, and the Wild have moved sideways at best and might have taken a step back with the loss of Rolston and Pavol Demitra. Then there's the uncertainty surrounding Marian Gaborik, who can become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the coming season.

10. Columbus Blue Jackets
The Blue Jackets are bigger and more mobile along the blue line, but still don't have enough offense; and, unless R.J. Umberger or Derick Brassard is the answer, Columbus still doesn't have a No. 1 center to play with Rick Nash.

11. Phoenix Coyotes
The Coyotes now have the big center they've been lacking in Olli Jokinen, but they still don't have enough scoring and they're going to miss Keith Ballard along the blue line and in the dressing room.

12. Vancouver Canucks
This ranking would change if Sundin decides $20 million over two years is enough incentive to pack up and head west. If not, the Canucks are overmatched offensively by pretty much every other team in the conference.

13. Colorado Avalanche
Did we mention it's a short trip from the top to the bottom in the Northwest? And with the goaltending duties now split between Peter Budaj and Andrew Raycroft and captain Sakic's return uncertain, the Avs are poised for a big step backward.

14. St. Louis Blues
St. Louis has a fine collection of defensemen, but special teams and offense are wanting. After looking as though they were ready to get back in the playoff hunt two seasons ago, the Blues have been lapped by their Central Division colleagues.

15. Los Angeles Kings
A familiar place for the perpetually rebuilding Kings, who remain two or three years from contending for a playoff berth.

< Message edited by So.Mn.Fan -- 7/26/2008 11:51:49 AM >
Post #: 133
RE: Free Agent Tracker - 7/26/2008 1:05:37 PM   
Jim Frenette

So they have dropped the Wild from a playoff position

Fargo
Post #: 134
RE: Free Agent Tracker - 7/26/2008 7:43:25 PM   
Jeff Jesser

They give the Oil way too much respect.  A good, promising young team but tops in the division, that's a bit much.
Post #: 135
RE: Free Agent Tracker - 7/27/2008 8:32:31 AM   
So.Mn.Fan

I always respect your opinion Jeff, but I'm worried about Edmonton myself.
I see where he's coming from, but there are plenty of "ifs" for them to get that good that soon.
I saw them in person twice last year and they scared the hell out of me.
(As to what they could become).
They were young, big, and fast.
They had us beat in every facet except for what it took to win.
Every one of their guys was longer and stronger than ours, but just too raw.
IF they stay together, and IF they mesh, and IF they build on what they started, they will get there.
But that's the "iffy" part.
Looked to me like they had focused on the same type of player for about 2 or 3 drafts/off-seasons and were stockpiling some real specimens. They were the one team I found myself focusing on more than the Wild (for those particular games).
They reminded me of a team of Brent Burns-type D-men and Shepard-type forwards. Scary.
Post #: 136
RE: Free Agent Tracker - 7/27/2008 10:02:44 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Thanks man, always respect yours too.  You are right way more then I am.

I agree that they are super scary on O.  They have speed in waves.  It's their D and keeper situation that I'm leery of.  If they get solid D and at least middle of the road keeping out of Buron....look out.  If one or the other doesn't step up they'll fight for a playoff spot IMO.
Post #: 137
RE: Free Agent Tracker - 8/27/2008 8:01:27 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3556394

Classiest man in hockey will end his career in Denver, where he should.
I've grown to dislike the 'Lanche, but cannot dislike this guy.
Post #: 138
RE: Free Agent Tracker - 8/28/2008 8:49:09 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Good for hockey, bad for us.  He is the ultimate Wild killer.  Well, he and Iginla. 
Post #: 139
The Puck Drops on the 2008-9 Season! - 10/4/2008 9:30:55 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

NHL season has begun!
Rangers topped the Lightning in Melrose's coaching debut. 2-1.
Let the fun and games begin!

< Message edited by So.Mn.Fan -- 10/4/2008 9:37:01 PM >
Post #: 140
RE: The Puck Drops on the 2008-9 Season! - 10/7/2008 12:04:48 AM   
So.Mn.Fan

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/preview2008/team?page=nhlpre08/0809picks&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos1

Predictions from ESPN staff
Not much Wild-Love, except from Buccigross, as usual.

< Message edited by So.Mn.Fan -- 10/7/2008 4:15:30 AM >
Post #: 141
RE: The Puck Drops on the 2008-9 Season! - 10/8/2008 1:47:16 PM   
Don T in CO

From the Wild thread:

COLORADO AVALANCHE
Last Season: 44–31–7
Coach: Tony Granato
Club icon Joe Sakic missed 38 games after hernia surgery. At least the 39-year-old had lots of company on the IR. Lengthy downtime for F's Ryan Smyth, Paul Stastny and Marek Svatos and D's Brett Clark and Jordan Leopold added up to 402 games lost, fifth-most in the NHL. Retread coach Granato needs them all healthy to stand a chance of reviving a 28th-ranked PP. What he needs even more is a No. 1 between the pipes. Neither Peter Budaj (.903 SP) nor Andrew Raycroft (.876) fits the description. Despite all the nicks, the Avs made the playoffs last season. With those guys in the crease, they won't get lucky twice.
KEY PROSPECT: T.J. Hensick, 22, C
The four-year star at Michigan scored six goals in a 31-game trial last season. The 5'10'', 185-pounder is sneaky and quick.

I have to agree with this assessment.  Unless Budaj and Raycroft really surprise, the Avs will battle just to get one of the bottom spots in the Playoffs.
My pick to surprise: RW, David Jones.  I think he's got a chance to score 20 goals this season after only scoring twice in 37 games last season (27 reg, 10 playoffs).  http://avalanche.nhl.com/team/app?page=PlayerDetail&playerId=8470877&service=page
Post #: 142
RE: The Puck Drops on the 2008-9 Season! - 10/8/2008 1:52:05 PM   
Jeff Jesser

If you guys  stay healthy you should be fine.  I can't believe how you battled last year with the triage you had going on.
Post #: 143
RE: Free Agent Tracker - 10/8/2008 2:05:00 PM   
Tim Cady

quote:

He was Dylan and my favorite player when the Stars left. Couldn't stop lovin him, always had a dream he would somehow play for the Wild.

Go the extra mile, it's never crowded!
Post #: 144
RE: Free Agent Tracker - 10/8/2008 2:51:35 PM   
Don T in CO

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tim Cady

quote:

He was Dylan and my favorite player when the Stars left. Couldn't stop lovin him, always had a dream he would somehow play for the Wild.

Sakic is the consummate pro.  Great leader / example for the young guys.  Never toots his own horn.  Just the definition of 'class act'.  Of course he's been a good player too, which also helps his popularity. 

In public he's a very quiet man, yet very giving.  You rarely hear about it, but he is one of the biggest philanthropists in Colorado.

His charity work, which is estimated to have provided more than 7 million meals to poor children and families, has earned an NHL Foundation Player Award in 2007.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Sakic
Post #: 145
RE: Free Agent Tracker - 10/8/2008 3:25:47 PM   
Jeff Jesser

His quick wrister and Iginla in general have been the bane of my existence.  
Post #: 146
RE: Free Agent Tracker - 10/8/2008 3:40:53 PM   
Don T in CO

quote:

His quick wrister and Iginla in general have been the bane of my existence.  

One more year Jeff.  Just one more year. 
Post #: 147
RE: The Puck Drops on the 2008-9 Season! - 10/10/2008 11:35:31 AM   
Don T in CO

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don T in CO

From the Wild thread:

COLORADO AVALANCHE
Last Season: 44–31–7
Coach: Tony Granato
Club icon Joe Sakic missed 38 games after hernia surgery. At least the 39-year-old had lots of company on the IR. Lengthy downtime for F's Ryan Smyth, Paul Stastny and Marek Svatos and D's Brett Clark and Jordan Leopold added up to 402 games lost, fifth-most in the NHL. Retread coach Granato needs them all healthy to stand a chance of reviving a 28th-ranked PP. What he needs even more is a No. 1 between the pipes. Neither Peter Budaj (.903 SP) nor Andrew Raycroft (.876) fits the description. Despite all the nicks, the Avs made the playoffs last season. With those guys in the crease, they won't get lucky twice.
KEY PROSPECT: T.J. Hensick, 22, C
The four-year star at Michigan scored six goals in a 31-game trial last season. The 5'10'', 185-pounder is sneaky and quick.

I have to agree with this assessment.  Unless Budaj and Raycroft really surprise, the Avs will battle just to get one of the bottom spots in the Playoffs.
My pick to surprise: RW, David Jones.  I think he's got a chance to score 20 goals this season after only scoring twice in 37 games last season (27 reg, 10 playoffs).  http://avalanche.nhl.com/team/app?page=PlayerDetail&playerId=8470877&service=page

The early results are not good.  The Avs outshot Boston last night 39-20 and lost 5-4.  Not any real 'softies' against, but a goal or two that a top goalie might have saved.
Post #: 148
RE: General NHL - 10/13/2008 5:25:24 PM   
Tim Cady

Sad news:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=txrangersprospectdies&prov=st&type=lgns

NEW YORK (TICKER) New York Rangers prospect Alexei Cherepanov died during a game in his native Russia on Monday night. He was 19.
The Rangers did not reveal the circumstances of Cherepanov’s death when contacted by PA SportsTicker.
The New York Post reported that Cherepanov suffered a heart attack and collapsed on the bench during Avangard Omsk’s game against Vityav Chekhov.
TSN of Canada reported that medical officials attempted to get Cherepanov’s heart beating again. According to the web site, there was no ambulance present at the arena. The report stated that it took between “15 and 20 minutes” to transport Cherepanov from the arena to the hospital.

Go the extra mile, it's never crowded!
Post #: 149
RE: General NHL - 10/14/2008 9:32:42 AM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tim Cady

Sad news:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=txrangersprospectdies&prov=st&type=lgns

NEW YORK (TICKER) New York Rangers prospect Alexei Cherepanov died during a game in his native Russia on Monday night. He was 19.
The Rangers did not reveal the circumstances of Cherepanov’s death when contacted by PA SportsTicker.
The New York Post reported that Cherepanov suffered a heart attack and collapsed on the bench during Avangard Omsk’s game against Vityav Chekhov.
TSN of Canada reported that medical officials attempted to get Cherepanov’s heart beating again. According to the web site, there was no ambulance present at the arena. The report stated that it took between “15 and 20 minutes” to transport Cherepanov from the arena to the hospital.

Saw that last night and felt the same thing. Way to young

Fargo
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: Free Agent Tracker Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode