Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General NHL

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: General NHL Page: <<   < prev  56 57 [58] 59 60   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General NHL - 2/21/2013 4:35:50 PM   
SoMnFan

Loving the Flyers and Pens games
That's what real rivalry looks like

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1426
RE: General NHL - 2/21/2013 4:44:06 PM   
Nate

You said it. I watched that whole game and it felt like the finals. There was good passing, good hitting. People carried in the puck when they could, dumped it in and chased it when they couldn't. There were lots of shots on or near the net, people standing in front of the goalie, people crashing the net. There were good exit passes, good power plays, good coaching. I can only hope the Wild, with enough time together, can get there. It was a pleasure to watch. I also like the fact that it was 6-5 instead of 1-0, but even if it was 1-0, the tension and pace of play was fantastic.
Post #: 1427
RE: General NHL - 3/3/2013 1:46:34 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Good one going down in Detroit right now. Chicago may finally lose. Down 1-0 with 5 to go.
Post #: 1428
RE: General NHL - 3/3/2013 1:49:15 PM   
SoMnFan

(in my best Herb voice) as channeled thru Kurt Russell

"someone's gonna beat dees guys"

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1429
RE: General NHL - 3/3/2013 1:51:25 PM   
Jeff Jesser

LOL - and they tie it up with 2 to go. Patrick "the gangster" Kane
Post #: 1430
RE: General NHL - 3/3/2013 1:52:35 PM   
Jeff Jesser

DAMN - off the subsequent FO Franzen drives it down and rings a backhander off the post!
Post #: 1431
RE: General NHL - 3/3/2013 1:53:16 PM   
Jeff Jesser

WOW and now Detroit gets their 2nd delay of game penalty (the first was when Kane tied it up). 1:23 to go.
Post #: 1432
RE: General NHL - 3/3/2013 1:54:30 PM   
SoMnFan

Dammit
You had me excited for a Detroit win.

thats NEVER happened before .....

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1433
RE: General NHL - 3/3/2013 1:56:10 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Sorry man! Headed to OT. Streak is alive and well
Post #: 1434
RE: General NHL - 3/3/2013 1:59:02 PM   
Jeff Jesser

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Doc Emery: "When the Flyers went unbeaten in 30 games, their streak ended in Minnesota, in a game against a team called the "North Stars" who later moved to Dallas".

He said it like a history lesson that nobody would know about
Post #: 1435
RE: General NHL - 3/3/2013 2:01:32 PM   
SoMnFan

"and then kids, as soon as they moved to Dallas ... they got realllllllll good, and won a Stanley Cup! isn't that awesome?"

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1436
RE: General NHL - 3/3/2013 2:03:37 PM   
Jeff Jesser

"By a UMD Bulldog from an illegal play that should have never been allowed but it was late and in OT"
Post #: 1437
RE: General NHL - 3/3/2013 2:06:08 PM   
SoMnFan

find stick
sharpen stick
poke into eye socket
repeatedly

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1438
RE: General NHL - 3/5/2013 4:18:18 PM   
kevinemmer

That's enough boys!

(in stern mother voice)
Post #: 1439
RE: General NHL - 3/5/2013 5:24:15 PM   
Jeff Jesser

he started it
Post #: 1440
RE: General NHL - 3/7/2013 6:17:25 PM   
Jim Frenette

The NHLPA have ok'd realignment . We can get away from so many late games on west coast

Fargo
Post #: 1441
RE: General NHL - 3/18/2013 11:58:27 PM   
SoMnFan

I always pull for guys like this ....

Rich Clune fighting a bigger battle

Updated: March 13, 2013, 2:00 PM ETBy Scott Burnside | ESPN.com

Frederick Breedon/Getty ImagesRich Clune has never been one to back down, both on and off the ice.
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- It's the spring of 2010. Rich Clune is sitting on the Los Angeles Kings' bench in the first round of the playoffs as the Kings take on the Vancouver Canucks.
The Toronto native is in the NHL. He's on "Hockey Night in Canada." He's living the dream.
Except his legs are cramping up because he's not sleeping and he's not eating properly; he hasn't for a long time, in fact.
The perpetual drinking and the other drugs have sapped him of his strength and conditioning and, worse, his desire to play the game. And in the moment that should have been a cherished memory for life, burnished to a healthy glow to be remembered with pride and shared with children and grandchildren, Clune is instead filled with disgust and self-loathing at what his life had become, what he had become.
"Here was every kid's dream, and I wished I was anywhere else," Clune recalled. "I was so disgusted with myself. I was just so emotionally bankrupt.
"When I got called up, I didn't even want to be at the rink anymore," Clune said during a lengthy interview in a Nashville restaurant. "I was finally in a place I'd dreamed of being, and I was like, oh no, I can't go there. I need to restart. I couldn't wait for the season to be over."
On this day a vibrant, well-spoken Clune sports a nasty cut across the bridge of his nose courtesy of Kings defenseman Drew Doughty from a recent game.
In a game shortly after the end of the lockout, Doughty's teammate Mike Richards caught Clune with an elbow that knocked out four of Clune's lower teeth, the fragments of which ended up going down Clune's throat.
He's been wearing a protective shield over his jaw until recently and, with the Predators' heavy road schedule, Clune has just recently moved into an apartment. He jokes that his closest non-hockey friend in his new home city might be his dentist.
Clune smiles easily, and the implication is clear, that these battles are, relatively speaking, easy to fight. These are wounds that are, relatively speaking, easy to heal.

Richard Clune
#16 LW
Nashville Predators

2013 STATS

GM25
  • G3
  • A2
  • PTS5
  • +/-4
    PIM48
    And if it's possible to be delighted with a little dental work or a nasty gash on the nose, then a clean and sober Clune is as happy as a clam.
    After that series against the Canucks almost three years ago, there was one more bender, a team trip to Las Vegas.
    Back in Los Angeles, alone, unhappy and unhealthy Clune decided he had had enough, decided he couldn't go on; not just in terms of hockey, not just in terms of pursing the dream of being a professional athlete, but could not go on. Period.
    So he called the only people he felt could help him, the only people with whom he could share his burden: his parents.
    "Help me, please," he said from miles away.
    It is a moment no one in the Clune family will ever forget. It is a moment that changed everything, changed all of them.
    "Was I scared? For sure. Absolutely," said his mother, Anne Marie Clune.
    She had seen her son on television, the close-up of his face on the bench, a face that did not look like the son she remembered, certainly not the face she had helped move into a Nashville apartment less than two months earlier.
    "I was, of course, devastated. Of course, I felt terrible guilt. What did I do to cause this in my son?" said Anne Marie, the chief talent officer for The Talent Co. in Toronto.
    But when that initial shock passed, Anne Marie Clune and her husband, Tom -- one of the founders of a successful Toronto marketing agency and currently the COO of marketing company Capital C -- Anne Marie's parents, her younger sister and Clune's two younger brothers joined in the process of getting Clune the help he needed and ensuring that he found the life he was seeking.

The beginningClune was 2 when he first picked up a foam hockey stick.

"He just loved it," his mother recalled.
    He learned to skate when he was 5; his father, Tom, a former college hockey player, made it a condition of his agreeing to help teach skating to other kids in their East End neighborhood that his oldest son could join him on the ice.
    Tom Clune is a graduate of St. Michael's College in Toronto, a private school with a long and storied hockey tradition. Clune and his father used to watch junior hockey games together, and Clune became enamored with a young player named Sean Avery. Scrappy, fast, fearless -- those were the qualities of Avery's game Clune would admire and, in some ways, would try to emulate as he began to excel at the game in his early teens.
    "Richard always had this fire in his eyes with every sport," his mother said.
    Although his parents and agent Bobby Orr felt Clune should consider college as an option, once scouts began to follow Clune's progress through the Toronto minor hockey system, he was determined to play junior hockey in Canada.
    And so, at 16, Clune headed off to Sarnia to play for the Ontario Hockey League's Sting.
    Tom and Anne Marie Clune agreed to allow Clune, a top-notch student, to move away from home provided he agree to a contract with three conditions: do well in school, keep your nose clean and pursue a post-secondary education.
    Clune agreed, and for a time those conditions were met.
    In his second year in Sarnia, 2004-05, Clune was named the OHL's scholastic player of the year.
    That season also saw Clune selected to play on Canada's under-18 team that earned a silver medal at a tournament in the Czech Republic. He also was asked to compete for Canada at another international tournament later that summer. By that time, the Dallas Stars had made him the 71st pick of the 2005 draft.
    It's hard to imagine life being any better for a teenage boy anywhere, let alone one in Canada. And yet, as all the tumblers that would open the door to a successful NHL career -- a successful life -- seemed to click into place, Clune found himself charting a course down a darker, self-destructive path that would nearly cost him everything.

How he hit bottomClune first got drunk at 13. Even then, he understood that, although he enjoyed the sensation, it wasn't something he should be doing. It would take him a decade or so to come to grips with those conflicting emotions: the guilt and shame that came from abusing alcohol, and later other drugs, and the overriding desire to keep doing it.

Made captain of the Sting before the 2005-06 season, Clune spent more and more time drinking, hanging out at bars. He broke curfew regularly to pursue his party lifestyle. Often, he and some teammates would cut school to begin drinking early in the day.
    Although he continued to put up decent offensive numbers, he was unhappy.
    "I had all this positive stuff that I had going for me," he said. "I was always a happy-go-lucky guy, but I started walking around with a chip on my shoulder."
    Maybe he was tired of trying to live up to expectations. Maybe he was, in his own way, rebelling.
    "That's when the drinking really started to pick up," he said. "I pretty much made friends with all the shady characters in town."
    That offseason, he demanded a trade, creating nonexistent issues as a rationale for team management, his agents, his family.
    "I put the team in an awful position," Clune said.
    Steven Stamkos was coming to the team, and the Sting were looking to Clune to be a mentor for the young prospect. But instead of being a leader, Clune was increasingly concerned only with himself.

[+] Enlarge
    Dave Sandford/Getty ImagesRich Clune's OHL career was full of on-ice highs and off-ice lows.
    "I was a different player back then. I was kind of selfish. I would never fight to stick up for my teammates. I really had no interest in the team anymore," he said.
    Instead he wanted out.
    In the vernacular of alcoholics, it's known as "geographical cure," Clune explained, the idea that the problem isn't inside but rather external; that by going somewhere else, things will get better.
    They didn't.
    In fact, they got worse.
    After being traded to Barrie, with which he had played his final year of junior in 2006-07, Clune continued to spiral. At one point, there was an alcohol-related brush with the law. Criminal charges eventually were dropped, but if the incident itself did not bring his problems into focus for Clune, it did for those around him.
    He was, he concedes, the extreme junior hockey player: drinking too much, doing other drugs, carousing with women. Although he had the swagger of a young man with a big ego, he suffered from low self-esteem.
    "From the outside, you feel you have everything going for you, but inside you're hurting," he explained.
    In his one season in Barrie, Clune's production continued to be at odds with his lifestyle. He scored 32 goals and 78 points.
    "The more I scored, the more I partied," he said.
    He was never late for practices or games. But hungover?
    "All the time," he said.
    Looking back on those days, Clune shakes his head in wonder that he was able to pull it off physically.
    By the end of his junior career, Clune had been kicked out of two billets' homes for misbehavior. Now, sent to the Stars' AHL affiliate in Iowa, he was a professional player living on his own without supervision, hardly a recipe for getting his life back on track, even if he did flirt with the idea several times in the next couple of years.
    Clune recalls getting emails from longtime Dallas Stars executive Les Jackson encouraging him to find balance not just in his game but in his life away from the rink.
    "I think they could see I was self-imploding," Clune said. "But I never clued in. I was like, 'What is he talking about? Let's talk about my contract.'"
    Clune's view of someone who was an alcoholic was always the standard clich�: some homeless man on a park bench. He never saw himself in that way, never connected his own behavior with the disease.
    "If I backtrack, there were probably tons of wake-up calls I should have listened to," Clune said.

The long climb up

After two years in the Stars' organization, Clune was dealt to the Los Angeles Kings. When he first chatted with Kings GM Dean Lombardi and assistant GM Ron Hextall, Clune expected the traditional "Glad to have you aboard" speech, but instead the two men warned Clune that there were lots of positives about his game but there were also a bunch of red flags.
    The cautionary reception was another blow to Clune's already crumbling self-esteem, another excuse to feel sorry for himself, another excuse to continue his self-destructive behavior.
    Although he had intentions of rededicating himself to hockey, to pursuing his dream of being an NHL player, his inability to curb his drinking and his use of other drugs was a powerful counterbalance to whatever remained of those dreams.
    He recalls being so hungover or worn down from partying that he could barely stand to get ready for games in Manchester, where he played parts of five seasons.
    Some of his teammates stopped talking to him.
    He recalls netminder Jonathan Bernier, now the Kings' backup, looking at him with disgust.
    "He just said, 'You're a piece of [expletive],'" Clune recalled.
    And, really, what was the argument?
    Hextall asked Clune whether he needed help, but Clune was too embarrassed to take the offer.
    And then, in the face of all that, Clune got his chance, called up to the big leagues.
    Maybe it wasn't the textbook epiphany or hitting the bottom, but Clune knew it was wrong, knew he wasn't ready physically and certainly wasn't ready for it mentally.
    Needless to say, that call to his parents that followed was as difficult a moment as someone might face.
    "I told them exactly what was going on. I knew I had to make a change. It's the most vulnerable I think I've ever felt," Clune said.
    He went home and went into treatment first as an in-patient and then as a twice-a-week outpatient. He remains vigilant about his program of sobriety.

[+] Enlarge
    Doug Pensinger/Getty ImagesRich Clune was losing a bigger battle when he was with the Kings.
    Clune is the oldest of three boys. Middle brother Matt is playing in the ECHL for the Ontario (Calif.) Reign and dreams of being a screenwriter.
    The youngest Clune brother, Ben, is also an aspiring writer, with whom Matt is working on a series of projects, and is an outfielder playing college baseball at Sewanee of the Southern Athletic Association, not far from Nashville.
    For as long as Matt can remember, his older brother has been his hero.
    He admits, having visited Rich in California before that phone call home, that his brother wasn't making good decisions. And then, during Rich's rehabilitation, Matt had to come to terms with his own feelings, the idea that somehow he'd been thrust into the role of "older" brother vacated at least temporarily by Rich.
    "I think you're kind of in denial at first," Matt Clune said from Bakersfield, Calif., during a weekend road trip. "We were afraid to know the truth about what he was going through because it scared us."
    Rich acknowledges that, for a time, the natural order of things was disrupted for his family as he found his way back to sobriety.
    "Matt, he was pretty heartbroken at first. I had to earn Matt's trust back again. I think he felt a little betrayed," Rich said.
    For his part, Matt feels it was more a case of Rich having to earn back his place as the older brother he and Ben had always looked up to.
    From a mother's perspective, this journey -- and can it be described as anything but? -- has given a family back a son and brother but, in doing so, has taken them all to a place that only those families that endure the most difficult of times get to.
    She jokes that she doesn't want people to become ill while hearing her gush about her family and the bonds that have been strengthened and redefined as a result of this period, but the pride the entire family feels is obvious, palpable.
    "I see it in my boys and it makes my heart sing," Anne Marie said. "We faced a lot together."
    "We're as close as a family can get," Rich added. "I can look my family in the eye and I know they love me for who I am."
    Clune returned to the Kings' organization for the 2010-11 season, and, although he dreamed of a return to the NHL, it appeared that moment might never happen.
    After being put on waivers by the Kings after the lockout, Clune was picked up by the Nashville Predators.
    It was Hextall who called and told Clune that he was going to get a chance to play in the NHL again. The former NHL netminder acknowledged that it was a bittersweet moment for him because he had come to see himself as a kind of mentor to Clune and Clune represents the kind of player the Kings like to have in their organization.
    "He plays the game hard, and he plays for keeps all the time," Hextall told ESPN.com this week.
    Although Hextall will not discuss the specifics of what happened during Clune's time with the Kings, it's clear he is intensely proud of what Clune has accomplished.
    "He's worked really, really, really hard" on the mental and physical aspects of his game, Hextall said. "I couldn't be happier for him.
    "This is a really good opportunity for him. And that's what I told him."
    Clune was upfront with coach Barry Trotz about his past when he joined the Predators. The team has a history of working with players who have dealt with personal issues -- Jordin Tootoo and Brian McGrattan, to name just two -- and Trotz himself is familiar with these kinds of journeys. Trotz's father is a recovering alcoholic who has enjoyed decades of sobriety.
    "My dad's gone through that, so I know how tough it is," Trotz told ESPN.com. "And my dad's my biggest hero because I know what he went through."
    As for Clune's career, Trotz is challenging the rugged forward not to settle for being a fourth-line thumper.
    "I think there's a lot more in his game," Trotz said. "He skates well enough to get around the ice. He seems to have a good sense of the game."
    The coach points to Montreal's Brandon Prust, who has evolved into a valuable two-way forward who can play a rugged style and contribute on the penalty kill as well as play with skilled players, as a kind of model for Clune.
    As if to prove Trotz's point, Clune's line started a crucial game last week against the Edmonton Oilers; the trio was effective throughout the night with Clune scoring a goal and fighting Edmonton tough guy Mike Brown en route to a 6-0 win. Clune's line started the next game, as well, a game in which Nashville earned a much-needed point against Minnesota in a shootout loss. And then there was the penalty shot goal this week against the team that drafted him, the Stars. His ice time and responsibilities continue to edge northward, and he ranks 21st in the league in hits.

Every day a beginningMatt Clune had a chance to catch up with his brother during an early western road trip by the Predators. He sat down near the ice level for the pregame skate in Anaheim, watching for the first time in person as his older brother stepped onto the ice in an NHL jersey. Rich was the last player out of the Predators' locker room, and Matt marveled as he saw him skating with Shea Weber and Pekka Rinne, sharing the ice with Teemu Selanne and Saku Koivu.

Proud?

[+] Enlarge
    Courtesy of Clune familyThe Clune clan. Rear (l to r): Rich and Matt; front: Anne Marie, Ben, Tom.
    "There're really no words to describe the feeling," Matt said. "It was one of the best moments of my life."
    At the end of the warm-up, Rich grinned at his younger brother and tossed him a puck, then he later got an assist.
    A couple of nights later, Matt Clune was again in attendance at Staples Center, where the Predators took on the Kings. This time, Matt's view of his brother was somewhat different, less in awe, the situation somehow less surreal.
    "It was more like: This is my brother's job; he belongs here," Matt said.
    A strong Christian, Matt believes his brother's journey and his ability to deal with his problems are a sign.
    "For me, this is God's hand at work," Matt said.
    It's been almost three years, and Clune feels comfortable enough in his own skin now that he's willing to share his story. Although his is the story of a man who nearly threw away a professional hockey career but got it back, he is hopeful that anyone reading this -- boy, girl, athlete or not, young, old -- will perhaps gain the courage to ask for help, courage it took Clune a long time to find.
    The interesting thing is that Clune wasn't looking to make a change to save his career; he was looking to make a change to save his life, to become a human being again. But a byproduct of getting healthy has been that Clune has rediscovered his love for the game.
    Even as he puts less pressure on himself to be someone or do something, he has found he is far more dedicated to the game.
    "I'm just trying to stay in the moment and enjoy every moment," he said. "I never did that before.
    "There's something inside of me no one can touch. I have that peace of mind now."

Work like a Captain.
    Play like a Pirate.
  • Post #: 1442
    RE: General NHL - 3/31/2013 2:15:14 PM   
    Jim Frenette

Sydney Crosby took a puck to the face yesterday and ended up having surgery on broken jaw. Surprised this doesn't happen more often

Fargo
    Post #: 1443
    RE: General NHL - 3/31/2013 10:57:59 PM   
    SoMnFan

Great story. Cannot believe the great Gordie is 85.

DETROIT -- About six months ago, Marty Howe received a letter from a hockey fan capturing exactly what Gordie Howe means to the hockey world. The fan had just spent two and a half hours in line to get an autograph from Mr. Hockey.
    For the 21st time.
    Every single time he met the Hall of Famer, the fan wrote, Howe made him feel like a million dollars. It was always worth the wait.
    "I hear that stuff all the time," Mark Howe said this week in telling that story. "That, to me, is the important part in trying to protect that."
    On Sunday, the lines will form again for another autograph signing with Howe when he is celebrated at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit for his birthday. Born on March 31, 1928, Mr. Hockey is turning 85.
    The birthday celebration will begin fittingly with a Sunday matinee Original Six showdown between the Blackhawks and Red Wings and continue into the evening when 30 to 35 friends and family, including all four Howe children, will occupy a reserved room at a local seafood and steakhouse.
    It should be a memorable day, and sadly, the reality is setting in that it may be one of the last of the great Howe public events. Age and dementia slow for nobody, even the toughest SOB to ever play the game. Physically, he's strong as an ox -- "I still wouldn't want to fight him," jokes Marty -- but any experiences outside interaction with close family are becoming more unpredictable.

"He loves people. He's always liked talking to people and stuff like that. It actually fires him up a little bit, makes him more aware," Marty Howe said. "He puts his game face on. I call it the Gordie Show.
    "But there are some days that doesn't even work. We're nearing the end of the appearances."
    Which means those celebrating with Howe will make sure to enjoy this weekend a little more, as the Howe family has learned to do every day with their father. Over the last three years, Gordie Howe has spent just one night on his own as his children have dedicated themselves to protecting the final chapter of someone who is a legend to all of us but dad to them.
    The everyday experiences are cherished.
    Marty tells a great story about a fishing trip a couple years ago at Bartlett Reef near Connecticut. It was Gordie, Marty, the guy running the boat and a few of his buddies -- guys thrilled to be fishing with a legend. Late in the afternoon after a long day, they planned one more lap around before heading home.
    "Gordie got a bite, and this time the line just kept going out and out and out," Marty said. "I said, 'Gordie, put your head down and crank. Don't give him any slack.' From then on, he just fought him."
    Eight times, the giant striper came up to the boat then dove back down. Eventually, the fish learned a lesson countless hockey players discovered through the decades: Gordie Howe doesn't lose a fight.
    It was a 51-pounder. For 36 years, Marty had been fishing that spot and never reeled in a striper that big.
    "He always sneaks in the big one," Marty said. "It's got to be the vibe on the line."
    Even as he's slowed down, his family still sees his personality and the dry humor.
    Gordie has spent the past few months with his daughter, Cathy Purnell, in Lubbock, Texas, where he got to witness his great-grandson's first T-ball game. Brenden was manning the pitching mound when Gordie Howe arrived, and the 6-year-old shouted a hello from the middle of the game. At one point, Brenden fired a ball home and the catcher ducked. 

After the game, Gordie made him feel a little better about the play.
    "Don't worry about how hard you throw it," Howe said. "As long as they're ducking, you're doing a good job."
    Cathy said she has enjoyed every moment of her time in Texas with her father. When he's not with his father, Mark said the phone conversations have increased to the point where they're now almost daily.
    "Everyone is trying to get as much time as possible," Cathy said. "We don't know how long it's going to be before he doesn't know who any one of us are."
    It's a fear that is all too real for any family that has experienced dementia or Alzheimer's, a disease Gordie Howe and his family continue to work hard raising funds to fight. Howe's wife, Colleen, died in 2009 of Pick's disease, a rare form of dementia.
    When Mark was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2011, Gordie sat in the Great Hall and shared stories about playing with his sons. Some of the oldest memories remain the clearest. In an interview with ESPN.com before Mark Howe's Hall of Fame induction, Gordie was asked what he was most proud to pass to his son.
    "Love of the game," Gordie answered. He loved the game, and his son Mark had that same passion.
    Now it's a different love. It's the love between a family and its father and grandfather, a bond that will be celebrated Sunday.
    Howe's legacy in hockey is secure, one of the greatest to ever play the game, the inspiration for the Gordie Howe Hat Trick. He is a hockey immortal. But talk to the next Howe generation and the impact is more about the person than the player.
    "Whatever he did on the ice -- the records and all that are one thing -- but to me he's a far better human being than he was the hockey player," Mark Howe said. "He's just a down-to-earth human being who happened to play hockey. What's important to him now is his family."

Work like a Captain.
    Play like a Pirate.
    Post #: 1444
    RE: General NHL - 4/15/2013 2:27:17 PM   
    TJSweens

Cullen returns tonight!

He will be reunited with Zucker and Seto. Brodz will center Pomenville and Butch with Mitchell between Rupp and CC.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
    Post #: 1445
    RE: General NHL - 5/24/2013 9:50:42 AM   
    Stacey King

Dallas Stars new logo

Post #: 1446
    RE: General NHL - 6/25/2013 7:30:59 PM   
    Bruce Johnson

Did you miss the final two minutes of the Stanley Cup finals? I did, but here it is. Amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VkiiNdwTo4

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
    Post #: 1447
    RE: General NHL - 7/5/2013 8:26:21 AM   
    Stacey King

I wondered why the Bruins would trade away 21-year & future stud-to-be Tyler Seguin so soon into his career:

According to sources around the team, Seguin was out late in Toronto during the road trip to play the Leafs in the first round of the playoffs and the team had to hold a sit-down with the immature forward about his commitment to the team. Seguin showed up each day at the Air Canada Centre wearing the same clothes for three straight days and played badly in Games 3 and 4 of the first round against Toronto.
    Post #: 1448
    RE: General NHL - 7/6/2013 12:24:33 AM   
    SoMnFan

Espn Insider
    Early FA winners and losers

Early on, the NHL offseason had been a bit of a dud. Draft weekend was supposed to be loaded with trades, but aside from the Cory Schneider deal to New Jersey, most teams just focused on picking prospects. And the 48-hour communication window this week had the potential to produce news as players and teams agreed to terms, but even that fun was shot down when the league sent a memo out to its teams that negotiations weren't allowed.
    Then, Friday happened.
    The promised action was finally delivered. Here's a look at who benefited and who didn't in the early Friday returns:

Winners

Detroit Red Wings
    I was certainly among those who saw Zach Parise and Ryan Suter pass on signing with the Red Wings and read that as a sign Detroit was no longer one of the premier destinations for NHL free agents. Daniel Alfredsson proved otherwise on Friday. When he made his decision to leave the Senators, he could have quickly found a home in Boston, a team that will no doubt contend for a Stanley Cup next season. But after consulting with Henrik Zetterberg, the veteran Swede decided his best shot at finally winning a Cup was in Detroit. "I just really like the way Detroit plays hockey. It's the puck possession game. It's the push-the-pace game," he said during a Friday conference call. "I know quite a few of the guys from before. I know the personalities. I know how they play and the culture of Detroit appealed to me."
    And the respect around the league the Red Wings still receive was clear in the voice of Stephen Weiss, who referred to Mr. Babcock and Mr. Holland while calling his decision to pick the Red Wings an easy one. Weiss was arguably the best center available on the market and the Red Wings signed him for a reasonable five-year deal worth $4.9 million. He'll replace Valtteri Filppula, who got a slightly larger deal to sign with the Tampa Bay Lightning despite rarely producing at the same offensive level Weiss had during his time in Florida. Weiss has six seasons where he has registered more than 40 points. Filppula has done that just once.
    "I'm thrilled to be given an opportunity to come to this team," he said. "I'm going to do everything in my power to help out."
    It wasn't all perfect for Detroit, though. The Red Wings will miss the natural scoring ability Damien Brunner brought to the lineup. Ken Holland said he expects Brunner to sign elsewhere.
    Nashville Predators
    There's a common trait with nearly all the guys GM David Poile reeled into Nashville: They're maximum-effort players whom coach Barry Trotz will love sending over the boards.
    Eric Nystrom is a born leader who was a big part of the Dallas Stars' resiliency down the stretch. Matt Hendricks is a guy capable of anchoring the Predators' third line for years with the bonus of being outstanding in the shootout. Matt Cullen is credited with helping turn around Devin Setoguchi's game in Minnesota and has the versatility to play on the wing and at center, up and down the lineup, and on special teams. Viktor Stalberg brings world-class speed and was one of the few free agents on the market who still has some upside. None of these guys is a huge splash free-agent signing; they're just guys who help you win games.
    "They made moves today that are big," said Hendricks when we chatted in the late afternoon on Friday. "They want to get back in the playoffs. Talking to them, it was hard on them to miss the playoffs."
    The Predators could still use more scoring, but don't we always say that about Nashville?
    Pittsburgh Penguins
    When the offseason started there was a serious question as to whether or not GM Ray Shero could bring back key players like Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang and Pascal Dupuis with the salary cap coming down. Not only did he pull that off, he addressed a major need on defense by adding shutdown defenseman Rob Scuderi, who teamed with Hal Gill so effectively during the Penguins' Cup run in 2009. It wasn't easy for Scuderi to leave a great situation in Los Angeles, but the opportunity to be closer to family in the East while still playing for a Cup contender proved too good to pass up. Especially on a team he's intimately familiar with.
    "The only thing I wanted to make sure, from Ray's point of view, [is] that he remembered how I played and who I was as a player and that he expected to get the same thing," Scuderi said during a Friday afternoon phone conversation. "I just didn't want to be caught in the wrong situation."

Losers

Boston Bruins
    Last time we thought the Bruins lost out was at the trade deadline, when Jarome Iginla slipped through the fingers of Peter Chiarelli, and that worked out just fine for Boston. So it may seem odd for the Bruins to be here after signing Iginla, but the context is important. Target No. 1 was Alfredsson, and he got away. Chiarelli pushed hard for him at the deadline and again in free agency and still wasn't able to pull it off. That has to be disappointing.
    Iginla fills a need, but was he the best option? Especially considering his age and the disappointing end in Pittsburgh? A guy like Ryane Clowe would have been an interesting fit, but not at the term he received from the Devils. We also think the return of Michael Ryder would have been perfectly reasonable, especially considering he cost Lou Lamoriello only two years and $7 million, but that didn't happen either. There are certainly worse fallback plans than Iginla, but at this point he's not the perfect fit.
    Editor's note: This was updated after Iginla's signing.
    Washington Capitals
    We understand that GM George McPhee may not have wanted to commit too much money and term to a 33-year-old center in Mike Ribeiro, but it was clear that Ribeiro was disappointed it didn't work out in Washington.
    "I was surprised. I moved there, moved my family too," he said during his conference call after signing with the Phoenix Coyotes. "My thinking was if I have a great season, they'll keep me there or find a way to keep me there."
    While he wasn't perfect defensively, it's hard to argue against his offensive production. He had 49 points in 48 games with the Capitals, holding up his end of the bargain, and especially felt wanted when the Coyotes reached out to his camp the moment the 48-hour window opened at midnight ET.
    Now, the Capitals are on the prowl for a No. 2 center again. Mikhail Grabovski would be an interesting fit in Washington and we'll pardon the Capitals from this list if they pull that off.
    St. Louis Blues
    GM Doug Armstrong was on the hunt for help at center ice and so far hasn't had any luck. We have no issues with the addition of Maxim Lapierre, but that doesn't fill the biggest need for more offensive punch down the middle. Armstrong told Blues beat writer Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that he pushed hard for both Weiss and Filppula and fell short on both. St. Louis is still a Cup contender, and rather than taking on what's left over on the free-agent market, the better move for Armstrong might be to see who becomes available via trade in the next several months.

Work like a Captain.
    Play like a Pirate.
    Post #: 1449
    RE: General NHL - 7/11/2013 3:00:27 PM   
    Stacey King

Ilya Kovalchuk is retiring from the NHL.
    "This is something I have thought about for a long time going back to the lockout and spending the year in Russia," Kovalchuk said in a statement. "Though I decided to return this past season, Lou was aware of my desire to go back home and have my family there with me. The most difficult thing for me is to leave the New Jersey Devils, a great organization that I have a lot of respect for, and our fans that have been great to me." Kovalchuk is only 30 and had only played in three seasons of his 15-year, $100 million contract with the New Jersey Devils.
    Post #: 1450
    Page:   <<   < prev  56 57 [58] 59 60   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: General NHL Page: <<   < prev  56 57 [58] 59 60   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode