Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General NHL

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: General NHL Page: <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General NHL - 7/11/2013 6:13:59 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Damn, in 2 years the Devils have lost 2 franchise guys in their prime. What's going on Lou?
Post #: 1451
RE: General NHL - 7/11/2013 7:29:56 PM   
Lynn G.

Does anyone else feel a little miffed that Leddy is parading the trophy around town? I know, I know - that's the routine - that all of the players get a chance to bring the trophy to places that they want and for the most part people are excited to see it.

I'm probably being petty, but it feels like shoving it our face.
Post #: 1452
RE: General NHL - 7/12/2013 8:09:34 AM   
SoMnFan

I like it when Lynn gets miffed.
I agree. And it feels weird even calling him a Gopher.
Barely seemed he was there.
Dumb, dumb trade.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1453
RE: General NHL - 7/12/2013 9:45:35 AM   
Lynn G.

I wouldn't mind if he brought the trophy to the front door of those at the Wild who were responsible for trading him. That kind of in-your-face would seem appropriate. But the fans had nothing to do with that, and for the most part hated the trade. So the parading around town feels like salt in a wound we didn't cause.
Post #: 1454
RE: General NHL - 7/19/2013 1:55:32 PM   
SoMnFan

The Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks will host the Washington Capitals on the opening night of the NHL season Oct. 1, the league announced Friday.
The Capitals-Blackhawks tilt will be part of a three-game opening night that will include the Toronto Maple Leafs at the Montreal Canadiens and the Winnipeg Jets at the Edmonton Oilers.
The 1,230-game regular season will conclude April 13. The Stanley Cup playoffs will begin April 16.
The league will take a two-and-a-half-week break from Feb. 9-26 due to the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia. The NHL and its players reached a deal with the International Ice Hockey Federation earlier Friday to put the season on hold again so the game's biggest stars can compete in the Games.
The NHL also announced its new division names. The seven-team Pacific and Central divisions will comprise the Western Conference. The eight-team Metropolitan and Atlantic divisions will comprise the Eastern Conference. All 30 teams will play in all 30 arenas at least once during the regular season.
Deputy commissioner Bill Daly said player names were considered for the division names but "dismissed rather quickly."
"I don't think there was any strong feeling that we needed to move away from geographic descriptors and orientations, which makes it easier for the fans to follow," Daly wrote in a email to ESPN.com. "Also, while it's the nature of any exclusive list, I'm not sure assigning division names to four all-time great players is fair to the all-time great players who would necessarily be excluded in that process."
Daly said the Metropolitan Division was the toughest to establish.
"A number of alternatives were considered for Metropolitan, but due to the make-up of our divisions, none were perfect. So that was, obviously, the toughest one to nail down. But, ultimately, you have to come to a resting place."

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1455
RE: General NHL - 7/19/2013 2:13:26 PM   
Stacey King

The Metropolitan is made up of the Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Flyers, New Jersey Devils, New York Rangers, New York Islanders, Carolina Hurricanes and Columbus Blue Jackets.

The Atlantic has the Maple Leafs, Canadiens, Senators, Sabres, Red Wings, Boston Bruins, Florida Panthers and Tampa Bay Lightning.

The Central has the Jets, Blackhawks, Colorado Avalanche, Dallas Stars, Minnesota Wild, Nashville Predators and St. Louis Blues.

The Pacific has the Canucks, Flames, Oilers, Sharks, Los Angeles Kings, Phoenix Coyotes and Anaheim Ducks.
Post #: 1456
RE: General NHL - 8/18/2013 1:54:48 PM   
SoMnFan

The Great Ones daughter is marrying Dustin Johnson, the golfer.
And she's incredibly cute.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1457
RE: General NHL - 8/18/2013 5:55:41 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Is the "great ones" a euphemism?
Post #: 1458
RE: General NHL - 8/18/2013 6:19:21 PM   
SoMnFan

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1459
RE: General NHL - 8/19/2013 6:29:30 PM   
Jeff Jesser

SWEET. Unveiling new white jerseys. About time. I always thought those were the best anyway.
Post #: 1460
RE: General NHL - 8/19/2013 6:32:54 PM   
SoMnFan

Me too
Always prefer the classic whites
MN could have an AWESOME one if they do it right.
Mostly white with the rich green and red accents? Would be hard to screw up.
Which means they will ......

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1461
RE: General NHL - 8/20/2013 8:33:06 AM   
Stacey King

This is so awesome, best story I've read in a long time
-----------------------------

PHOENIX - And you thought the Diamondbacks-Pirates series was the best Phoenix-Pittsburgh showdown going on.

Not even close. That honor goes to the Coyotes' Paul Bissonnette and Pittsburgh resident Matt Hogue, who engaged in an epic social-media war this week until Bissonnette dropped the gloves and delivered a nasty cyber-hit on the bully.

Dare I say it? It was awesome.

And also a sign that social media in the sports arena has arrived at a critical juncture.

Here is how it unfolded:

Bissonnette, also known as "Biznasty," is huge in the Twitter-verse. He has close to half a million follows and is well known for his funny and outrageous tweets. He is more than happy to engage his audience.

On Wednesday, he received an endless stream of ugly tweets from someone with the Twitter handle @matthoagie.

Some were sophomoric: "Is that nose as big in person? I bet you could fill up a sewer with that nose scum of yours."

Some were predictable: "Dude is old dog dirt on my shoe."

Most were downright offensive.

Bissonnette, who happily deals with the online haters, found this barrage over the top. After taking a few shots at Hogue, he took it a step further. He researched the "troll" and found evidence of a criminal past — including allegedly lying to police about the theft of city property — in newspaper articles, which he posted links of on his Twitter account.

Ouch.

Before long, Hogue shut down his Twitter account.

Around the world, other professional athletes silently applauded.

Now that the enthusiasm regarding social media has reached a less hysterical phase, objective analysis has taken over. And what we see is a collection of athletes abandoning their tolerance of inconsiderate fans and coming back swinging.
Post #: 1462
RE: General NHL - 8/20/2013 9:28:51 AM   
SoMnFan

I like it.
Nice find.
Shutting down internet tough guys, one-at-a-time. 

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1463
RE: General NHL - 8/21/2013 9:40:55 AM   
Stacey King

Ex-Wild Assistant Coach as well.

Former Montreal Canadiens player and head coach Mario Tremblay is facing drunk-driving charges.

The five-time Stanley Cup champion was arrested for impaired driving and refusing to take a breathalyzer test back in January in Mascouche, Que. Tremblay plead not guilty to the charge on June 18, reports TVA Sports.
Post #: 1464
RE: General NHL - 8/21/2013 12:34:44 PM   
Stacey King

Good news because as the Wild gets good, there will be plenty of room to sign all our own boys as they come due. Brodin, Coyle, Granlund, Zucker, Niederreiter. Things are setting up nicely if we can add Vanek after this season and keep Pominville.

This summer teams in the NHL are dealing with a lack of salary cap space as it went down to $64.3 million after the (most) recent lockout. In a couple of summers there could be teams dealing with difficulties of getting to the cap floor.

That's because the salary cap is going to be going up, of course. But it could be a very rapid rise as Elliotte Friedman of CBC said on Sportsnet 590 that the cap could easily hit the $80 million mark by the 2017-18 season. That's four years from now.

A rise that sharp won't be an issue for some of the teams in the league, they will surely welcome it. Teams like the Rangers, Bruins, Flyers, Penguins, Kings, Maple Leafs, etc. that are living life near the cap this season. It would give them room to spend money.

Instead this would be troublesome for the less-fortunate franchises out there. If the cap is going up so is the floor and if it the cap were to rise to $80 million in four years that means the floor would then be where the cap is now, at $64 million. Considering how there are a few organizations struggling to turn a profit leaving on the current floor, that could be worrisome.

Post #: 1465
RE: General NHL - 9/11/2013 8:18:29 AM   
Stacey King

1. 0nce exhibition games start, the NHL will be testing a form of hybrid icing. The defender and the chaser will race to the faceoff dot. If the defenseman is first, the play is blown dead. If the attacking player is ahead, the chase continues.

At the end of the pre-season, the players will vote on it. "Yes" puts hybrid icing in place for 2013-14.

2. The hockey operations department debated two things. First, what happens if the linesman judges the race to be even? The baseball rule is that the tie goes to the offense (runner), but in the NHL, defensemen get the benefit to minimize injury risk. Second, the possibility exists the play is blown dead but the puck doesn't actually reach the goal-line. In that case, the faceoff will take place at cener ice.
Post #: 1466
RE: General NHL - 9/11/2013 10:07:42 AM   
TJSweens

This seems really stupid to me. Why not just eliminate the center red line and neutral zone icing all together? I've always thought neutral zone icing was a stupid rule. Then if you shoot the puck all the way down from your own end just call the icing with no touch.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1467
RE: General NHL - 10/9/2013 12:11:09 AM   
kgdabom

Tomas Hertl 19 year old for the Sharks scores 4 goals tonight. The fourth goal has to be seen to be believed. Might be Sportscenter play of the year.
Post #: 1468
RE: General NHL - 10/9/2013 11:29:05 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

Tomas Hertl 19 year old for the Sharks scores 4 goals tonight. The fourth goal has to be seen to be believed. Might be Sportscenter play of the year.

Whoa!  Awesome!  Being a Twins fan, however, I consider that showboating.  He should be suspended by the team because he or his teammates will pay the ultimate price if he's not disciplined.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1469
RE: General NHL - 10/9/2013 7:44:32 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

Whoa!  Awesome!  Being a Twins fan, however, I consider that showboating.  He should be suspended by the team because he or his teammates will pay the ultimate price if he's not disciplined.

Only showboating if it doesn't work.
Post #: 1470
RE: General NHL - 3/20/2014 6:26:24 AM   
Black 47

Blackhawks dominated the Blues last night.
Post #: 1471
RE: General NHL - 3/20/2014 6:34:55 AM   
SoMnFan

The Hawks also lost Kane for at least three weeks.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1472
RE: General NHL - 3/20/2014 10:48:55 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Bruised uterus or did he bust a knuckle punching a 95 year old women after she asked for deserved cash?
Post #: 1473
RE: General NHL - 3/20/2014 10:49:51 AM   
Jeff Jesser

P.S. ~~ I hat Patrick Kane with every fiber of my soul. In case you didn't catch that subtlety.
Post #: 1474
RE: General NHL - 3/20/2014 1:55:36 PM   
SoMnFan

Hear ya brother
I can't believe I friggin wanted him to do well for a couple games in the Olympics. That pisses me right off. ( in my best Dino Ciccarelli)

Oh, and he completely sucked balls if you remember right.
Could have single handedly made a huge difference in our two losses, chose not to I guess.
Woulda killed us otherwise.
So yeah, I get where you're coming from.

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 3/20/2014 1:57:55 PM >

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1475
Page:   <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: General NHL Page: <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode