Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Gopher Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: General Gopher Talk Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Gopher Talk - 11/24/2016 12:14:54 PM   
MarkWren

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Sweet five-set win over the #1 Huskers tonight for the gopher Womens VB team.

The electricity in the old Pavalion (barn) really came through last night, on TV. What an atmosphere! For 2 sets it appeared that Nebraska could hammer the gold medal winners in Rio. Then the Gophers settled down and then rode the wave of excitement from the crowd to and through the finish line. My only issue? I failed to allow enough time on the DVR for the entire 5th set. But halfway through, it was apparent we'd taken full control. Ski U Mah!
Post #: 226
RE: General Gopher Talk - 11/27/2016 7:16:52 AM   
SoMnFan

Very cool Mark.
The women at the U have been the real programs to be proud of lately.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 227
RE: General Gopher Talk - 11/27/2016 10:36:07 AM   
TJSweens

And now they finished up by beating Wisconsin. So they finish out the season beating the #1 and #3 teams in the country back to back. I think a #1 seed is a foregone conclusion. We'll see if they are #1 going into the NCAA tournament.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 228
RE: General Gopher Talk - 11/28/2016 7:18:27 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

And now they finished up by beating Wisconsin. So they finish out the season beating the #1 and #3 teams in the country back to back. I think a #1 seed is a foregone conclusion. We'll see if they are #1 going into the NCAA tournament.

#2 overall

Hoping for another Final Four run.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 229
RE: General Gopher Talk - 11/28/2016 9:43:15 AM   
MarkWren

Go, Gopher women!
Post #: 230
RE: General Gopher Talk - 11/29/2016 3:33:59 PM   
Mr. Ed

Senior outside hitter Sarah Wilhite (Eden Prairie, Minn.) has been named the Big Ten Player of the Year, and Samantha Seliger-Swenson (Minnetonka, Minn.) has been named the Big Ten Setter of the Year, announced today by the conference office. The 2016 season marks the second-straight year Minnesota has claimed the player of the year, as Wilhite follows Daly Santana as the top athlete in the league.

Wilhite, Seliger-Swenson and Hannah Tapp (Stewartville, Minn.) were all named All-Big Ten, Molly Lohman (Mankato, Minn.) was named All-Big Ten honorable mention, Alexis Hart (Independence, Mo.) was an All-Freshman honoree, while Paige Tapp (Stewartville, Minn.) was Minnesota’s Sportsmanship selection.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 231
RE: General Gopher Talk - 11/30/2016 10:36:12 AM   
SoMnFan

Love it.
Sounds like the hockey team used to be.
Don't tell me Minnesota kids can't compete nationally.
Those are OUR girls kicking ass.
What's better than that?

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 232
RE: General Gopher Talk - 12/3/2016 7:37:57 AM   
SoMnFan

Great night for Gopher sports teams .
They all won.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 233
RE: General Gopher Talk - 12/4/2016 8:23:03 AM   
SoMnFan

A bright, shiny light .....

JIM SOUHAN

It has been a long fall for Minnesota sports. A long autumn, too.

Saturday night at the University of Minnesota’s Sports Pavilion, the best team in the town, cities or state offered a night of entertainment that could make mainstream sports fans question their predilections.

The top-ranked Gophers volleyball team swept No. 12 Hawaii to advance to the NCAA regional semifinals, producing a night that felt like a day spa — a refreshing break from the norm of Twin Cities sports.

The athletes are spectacular. There is little wasted motion — every moment counts.

The Gophers sell out the Pavilion. The crowd is loud, but there are no artificial efforts, as in some professional arenas, to make ears bleed.

There were no choreographed victory dances or look-at-me moments. Best of all, there is no obsessing over possible missed calls by the officials — no arguments or drawn-out conferences, or three-minute replay conferences.

The Gophers won 25-17, 25-17, 25-19 in about an hour and a half. Fans were out the door by 7:40 with plenty of time to enjoy a Saturday night, leaving Gophers coach Hugh McCutcheon to reflect on how the Pavilion became the place to be.

“Certainly in ’15, there were some very special nights,” he said. “I think there was certainly a shift in our performances and the way we played toward the end of ’14 and ’15, and I think since then we’ve been playing at a pretty high level for a while now.

“We have people coming out to support us. It’s a wonderful thing to be a part of, just to be connected to that many people who are supporting us and who genuinely care about our program and our team. It’s a privilege.”

McCutcheon arrived at Minnesota after coaching in the 2008 and 2012 Olympics. Last year his program finished 30-5 and reached the Final Four. This year’s team has reached No. 1.

There is much to applaud here. McCutcheon is a gentleman who has built a powerhouse. Gophers fans have taken note.

“It’s kind of like Hawaii’s atmosphere,” said Hawaii’s Annie Mitchem. “Really loud, and the fans are super crazy. It was hard to come back once we were down.”

If there was a flaw in the Gophers winning two matches in straight sets at the Pavilion this weekend, it was produced, predictably, by the NCAA. The Gang That Can’t Think Straight had 12th-ranked Hawaii fly to Minnesota to be eliminated.

The nation’s No. 1 team deserved an easier subregional. Hawaii deserved a better chance.

“I told my team I wasn’t going to comment on this, the NCAA selection,” Hawaii coach Dave Shoji said. “But since you asked me …

“It’s just unfortunate that we had to come here. I don’t think Hugh was happy to see us here, either. I’m just at a loss for how the committee put us in this subregional. I think we deserved better. I’m looking around the country and seeing some of the second-round matchups, and I think we could have won a bunch of them.”

The Gophers have become the program nobody wants to play, and the Pavilion has become the place opponents least want to play them.

“Minnesota’s got a lot of weapons and I think they’ll go very far in this tournament,” Shoji said.

McCutcheon doesn’t want to hear that. More important, he doesn’t want his players to hear that. He said he has tried to keep his players from reading too much praise, too many projections. It is a testament to his work on campus that his biggest challenge may be controlling optimism.

“We started talking about expectations in August,” he said. “It’s not like we’re here and all of a sudden it’s like, ‘Geez, this is getting real.’ We’ve been playing for this for awhile. And when I say ‘planning,’ we always hope to achieve these things. We don’t expect them.”

Saturday night, it sounded like there were at least 5,442 Gopher fans who didn’t mind dwelling on the volleyball team’s latest success.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 234
RE: General Gopher Talk - 12/11/2016 9:32:16 PM   
Mr. Ed

2nd straight year in final four

Pretty darn impressive

Escape while you can!
Post #: 235
RE: General Gopher Talk - 12/12/2016 8:45:19 AM   
SoMnFan

Great couple of years.
Would be awesome to see them complete the thing.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 236
RE: General Gopher Talk - 12/12/2016 8:55:10 AM   
twinsfan

Shocks me that the best volleyball players don't all go to California, Arizona or Hawaii.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 237
RE: General Gopher Talk - 12/12/2016 10:20:40 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Great couple of years.
Would be awesome to see them complete the thing.

Saw the winning point.

Spike to the face. Sweet

Escape while you can!
Post #: 238
RE: General Gopher Talk - 12/15/2016 8:22:24 PM   
twinsfan

Gophers volleyball upset by Stanford. Not cool.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 239
RE: General Gopher Talk - 12/15/2016 11:22:05 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Gophers volleyball upset by Stanford. Not cool.

Dammit.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 240
RE: General Gopher Talk - 12/16/2016 8:20:16 AM   
Lynn G.

Bummer.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 241
RE: General Gopher Talk - 12/16/2016 10:19:05 AM   
TJSweens

Stanford just seemed to have the Gophers number this year. In two matches the Cardinal beat them 6 sets to 1.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 242
RE: General Gopher Talk - 12/16/2016 10:55:41 AM   
MDK

quote:

Shocks me that the best volleyball players don't all go to California, Arizona or Hawaii.

We have very good high school volleyball in the upper midwest, just like we have very good High School Girls basketball. Kids want to be near their home so friends and family can watch them play.

USD tied for first in the Summit League.

Nebraska has routinely been a power in NCAA Women's Volleyball.

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 243
RE: General Gopher Talk - 12/19/2016 9:41:39 AM   
Mr. Ed

The American Volleyball Coaches Association has announced that Sarah Wilhite (Eden Prairie, Minn.) was named 2016 AVCA Division I Player of the Year. The award was presented at the AVCA All-America/Players of the Year Banquet in Columbus, Ohio. This is the first ever Player of the Year award for Minnesota.

In her senior season, Wilhite was named Big Ten Player of the Year, espnW Player of the Year, and earned First Team All-American honors. She ended her career with a team-best 537 kills and averaged 4.26 kills per set. As an outside hitter, Wilhite finished her collegiate career with a .288 hitting clip, and ranked second on the team in digs (327) and aces (29). As a four-time Big Ten Player of the Week and recipient of AVCA National Player of the Week, Wilhite has led the Gophers in match kills 27 times and hit over .300 19 times this year.

"It's such an honor and a privilege to represent the University of Minnesota volleyball program. It's a great opportunity. I couldn't do it without my teammates and my coaches, they've been there for me since the beginning. I'm just so happy and honored to have recieved this award."

In her final match of the season, Wilhite accomplished her 13 double-double of the season, with 25 kills and 13 digs.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 244
RE: General Gopher Talk - 12/19/2016 7:03:34 PM   
SoMnFan

So good to see her get recognized, in a world dominated by beach girls.
Minnesota girls can play the hellout of Volleyball.
We've got a great D2 program here in town that doesn't win national titles ..... only because the other MN teams do.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 245
RE: General Gopher Talk - 12/19/2016 7:31:54 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

So good to see her get recognized, in a world dominated by beach girls.
Minnesota girls can play the hellout of Volleyball.
We've got a great D2 program here in town that doesn't win national titles ..... only because the other MN teams do.

Concordia St. Paul

The MN D2 volleyball program no one knows about, yet dominates year after year.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 246
RE: General Gopher Talk - 1/23/2017 11:45:15 AM   
Mr. Ed

Baseball America releases pre-season top 25

B10 baseball represented by Maryland at #24

Escape while you can!
Post #: 247
RE: General Gopher Talk - 1/23/2017 3:11:55 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK

quote:

We have very good high school volleyball in the upper midwest, just like we have very good High School Girls basketball. Kids want to be near their home so friends and family can watch them play.

USD tied for first in the Summit League.

Nebraska has routinely been a power in NCAA Women's Volleyball.

Volleyball has long been dominated by the Pac 12 and Big Ten. Out of 36 titles, the two conferences have won 26 (P12, 15, BTen, 11 (includes a few that were won by B10 schools before they were in the B10). Small schools out west have won another eight (Long Beach, Pacific, Hawaii). Texas is the only other school to win a title (2).

< Message edited by Brad H -- 1/23/2017 3:13:37 PM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 248
RE: General Gopher Talk - 1/23/2017 3:16:08 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Baseball America releases pre-season top 25

B10 baseball represented by Maryland at #24

Watch out for my alma mater, Harvard of the West (Cal St. Fullerton).

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 249
RE: General Gopher Talk - 2/6/2017 8:47:45 AM   
TJSweens

Long time radio broadcast voice of Gopher athletics, Ray Christensen, passed away at age 92. To this day I can't get used to hearing someone else broadcast Gopher football or basketball on the radio.

Post #: 250
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: General Gopher Talk Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode