Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Gopher Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: General Gopher Talk Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Gopher Talk - 8/7/2015 6:14:54 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Corleone

What an effing moron.

We just can't have anything around here, can we?

Both of those statements reflect how I feel. Just when we have something going in the right direction...

I have to say it to this male dominated forum - what the freak is it about men thinking that their penis is some wondrous thing that every woman absolutely wants to have? The way that alcohol always seems to open up this "hey babe, ya wanna have some of this?" conversation never seems to end. And it makes them look like complete morons.

Not me man. I just get more charming when I'm drunk.

Seriously though, it's not all men. Just a certain breed, where alcohol seems to switch off their ability to detect creepiness. In Teague's case, I've read the texts and the accounts of his behavior, and he was completely overboard. I hope he's serious about getting help and shaping up because he needs it.

Too bad, because up until today I thought the guy was doing a wonderful job. I only hope his replacement is forward thinking and progressive and not just a cookie cutter AD.
Post #: 101
RE: General Gopher Talk - 8/7/2015 9:58:05 PM   
Lynn G.

Oh trust me - I don't think it's all men. I just think that it's a weird sensibility that you really rarely see in women.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 102
RE: General Gopher Talk - 8/8/2015 9:30:47 AM   
TJSweens

It's amazing. For a few years now we have been hearing that Teague is a mover and a shaker as an AD. Since he resigned over his drunken stupidity, the story is changing. Now we hearing from multiple outlets that it was a different story behind the scenes. Now I am hearing about a Teague who was alloof and stand offish with his coaches. The coaches for the most part disliked Teague. According to Reusse, Jerry Kill pretty well answered directly to Kahler and Teague was out of the equation when it came to football. Patrick painted a less than flattering picture of Kill, stating that the new AD better learn to curtsy in Kill's presence. FWIW he then endorsed Craig Thompson, the commissioner of the Mountain West Conference who he described as "a University of Minnesota graduate and an administrator who would fit in that gap between Teague, a huckster, and Maturi, a hickster."

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 103
RE: General Gopher Talk - 8/8/2015 10:07:27 AM   
stfrank

I saw that Mike Max painted a similar picture of Teague's relationships with coaches on the channel 4 new last night. Sounds like he had a rather icey relationship with Don Lucia as well as Kill. Hard to get along too long at the U without having the 2 highest profile coaches on the same page as you are.....
Post #: 104
RE: General Gopher Talk - 8/8/2015 1:43:06 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Lucia I can understand but I have no clue how Kill is somehow one of those coaches. He's done nothing so far.
Post #: 105
RE: General Gopher Talk - 8/8/2015 3:21:40 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

It's amazing. For a few years now we have been hearing that Teague is a mover and a shaker as an AD. Since he resigned over his drunken stupidity, the story is changing. Now we hearing from multiple outlets that it was a different story behind the scenes. Now I am hearing about a Teague who was alloof and stand offish with his coaches. The coaches for the most part disliked Teague. According to Reusse, Jerry Kill pretty well answered directly to Kahler and Teague was out of the equation when it came to football. Patrick painted a less than flattering picture of Kill, stating that the new AD better learn to curtsy in Kill's presence. FWIW he then endorsed Craig Thompson, the commissioner of the Mountain West Conference who he described as "a University of Minnesota graduate and an administrator who would fit in that gap between Teague, a huckster, and Maturi, a hickster."

According to Ruesse in that same article, There was an air of 'We're the smartest guys in the room' during the firing of Tubby and the search for his replacement. According to Ruesse, Teague wanted a hand in selecting assistants, which was a reason why several coaches passed and we ended up with 5th or 6th choice Pitino.

Don't know if it's true, but it sounds believable. I still thought he had things going in the right direction in upgrading facilities, which at this point in time was the most important task at hand to make the University competitive. But I have no doubt the next person can keep that ball rolling.
Post #: 106
RE: General Gopher Talk - 8/8/2015 3:48:36 PM   
stfrank

I think Lou Nanne has as much, or more to do with the new facilities than Teague. Nanne is the lead man in the fund raising efforts for the U for a reason.
Post #: 107
RE: General Gopher Talk - 8/8/2015 5:03:13 PM   
TJSweens

There is nobody more connected, better known or more well liked among the alums than Lou Nanne. Putting him in charge of the fund raising was a no brainer.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 108
RE: General Gopher Talk - 8/10/2015 5:56:31 AM   
Mr. Ed

Amelia Rayno, a reporter at the Minneapolis Star Tribune, says she was sexually harassed by former University of Minnesota athletic director Norwood Teague, who resigned on Friday after two additional reports of sexual harassment surfaced.

Rayno published her account on the Star Tribune's website on Sunday. In it she describes unwanted text messages and physical contact received from Teague in 2013.

Rayno interacted with Teague through her job as the Star Tribune's college basketball reporter, but wrote that he made advances on her after learning she had broken up with her boyfriend. He began repeatedly texting her and inviting her to go out for drinks.

In April of 2014, Rayno told her editors and the human resources department about the encounters, but decided not to file a formal complaint.

Teague has not texted Rayno since August 2014, she wrote.

On Friday, school officials at Minnesota announced that Teague would resign after sexually harassing two non-student university employees. Teague told KARE 11's Jana Shortal that he sent inappropriate texts after consuming alcohol and that he would be “reevaluating [his] life and career.”

Escape while you can!
Post #: 109
RE: General Gopher Talk - 8/10/2015 6:48:23 AM   
Mr. Ed

Rayno's story

When former University of Minnesota athletic director Norwood Teague abruptly resigned on Friday and details of the sexual harassment complaints that led to his departure began to leak, some loudly wondered if there were other shiver-inducing tales out there.

Not me. I knew there was another tale. It was mine.

It all erupted on Dec. 13, 2013. There was a going-away party for a university communications director who had resigned. As the Star Tribune’s University of Minnesota’s basketball writer, I attended, as did Teague, whom I had covered since his arrival in April 2012. I spoke with him in passing and eventually left. As I was walking out, Teague texted me and asked if I wanted to get a drink.

Cultivating sources is a critical part of a reporter’s job. Sometimes that crosses into social gatherings. Having a drink with a source is not at all unusual, and I didn’t feel being a woman compromised me because I was there solely for work purposes.

Since coming to the university, Teague had presented himself to the media as someone who was a good source and not afraid to get blunt. For a reporter, that was extremely valuable. After he arrived, and before Dec. 13, 2013, he and I had drinks five to seven times, all but one of those occasions in a group setting. I also attended several cocktail parties at his house. I was happy to have such a useful window into the program. We talked about basketball, coaches and his plans for the department.

So I agreed to have that drink. But this December night was different. Teague asked me about my longtime boyfriend, as he often did. My mistake was acknowledging that we had just broken up. The switch flipped. Suddenly, in a public and crowded bar, Teague tried to throw his arm around me. He poked my side. He pinched my hip. He grabbed at me. Stunned and mortified, I swatted his advances and firmly told him to stop. He didn’t.

“Don’t deny,” he said, “our chemistry.”

I told him that he was drastically off base, that my only intention in being there was as a reporter – to which he replied: “You’re all strictly business? Nothing else?”

I walked out. He followed me. I hailed a cab. He followed me in, grabbing at my arm and scooting closer and closer in the dark back cabin until I was pressed against the door. I told him to stop. I told him it was not OK. He laughed. When I reached my apartment, I vomited.

Later that night he texted: “Night strictly bitness.’’

The incident wasn’t the first with Teague.

When he first arrived at the university we would communicate via texts, mostly about athletics. But over time the tone of the messages slowly changed, particularly at night. He would pepper work talk with comments that at first felt weird and eventually unacceptable. Once, he called me “cute.” Another night, after I declined meeting for a drink, he asked me if I was wearing pajamas.

I brought my concerns to a work colleague, who suggested I downplay the remarks and keep things light.

But in the aftermath of Dec. 13, it got worse.

When I had to call Teague for a quote, he would often afterward say, “You owe me.” He suggested I travel with the Gophers summer caravan to “get more scoops.” He once asked if I was going to Dallas for the Final Four. When I replied that our newspaper was not covering it because of budget issues, he texted: “I have other options to get u there in style.’’ And when I declined to meet him if he suggested a drink he would text things like “R u pouting?” and “The colonel is coming after you.”

I stopped speaking to Teague unless it was absolutely necessary. When he wanted to get a drink, I told him I was busy. I avoided him as much as possible. Losing meaningful access to an athletic director isn’t a situation a college reporter wants to find herself in, but to me it was the best of all the bad options.

He noticed the change.

“Ur no fun anymore,” he texted.

“U seem obtuse.”

“Ur radio silent.”

“U think I’m gross.”

“Ur giving me a complex.”

“U hate me, I’m toxic.”

Unsure of what to do, I reached out to other women in the industry, including ESPN’s Dana O’Neil, who advised me to immediately alert my editors.

In April 2014 I did and later explained my experience to the human resources department in much more detail. I provided them with many of Teague’s text messages. After multiple meetings, the company provided me with an action plan that included a number of options: the company contacting Teague directly to demand that he cease the inappropriate behavior; contacting Teague’s superiors to inform them of his behavior; changing beats; or, at my suggestion, waiting to see if the behavior continued before taking action.

It was my decision to make and I chose what I believed was self-preservation. I didn’t want my career interrupted because of a powerful man’s misdeeds. Making a formal complaint could have resulted in me losing access at the university. It could have forced me to take another beat, perhaps out of sports; to change my career path in a way I never planned.

I was also concerned about how it would look were the information to get leaked. I carefully considered the editorializing and victim-shaming that goes on in such circumstances, and I wasn’t sure I wanted to go through that.

In the past year, we have barely spoken. He has not texted me since August 2014.

But as I reread his texts to me and the ones that were released Friday, I regret not doing more initially, especially now that I know Teague continued to harass women. At the time, I was still fairly green on my first real beat and, frankly, unprepared for something like this. I wasn’t bold enough in my reaction. Had all of this developed now, I might have handled it differently. That’s why, in light of the brave women who did step up, I decided to put my name behind my story in hopes that it will never happen again.

Friday’s accounts from the two nameless women harassed by Teague were a lot of things. They were vulgar. They were troubling. They were gross.

One thing they were not is something new. For me, it was more of the same, all over again.

--

EDITORS’ NOTE: In editing Rayno’s story, the Star Tribune confirmed key elements of Rayno’s account with a former human resources officer and by reviewing human resources documents related to the matter, including copies of text messages sent and received by Rayno.

Star Tribune editors on Sunday also sought reaction to Amelia Rayno’s account from former athletic director Norwood Teague and the University of Minnesota.

Teague did not respond.

Here is University President Eric Kaler’s response:

I am disappointed to learn of an additional report of sexual harassment against the former director of Gopher Athletics. Our commitment to ensuring a healthy learning, working and living environment at the University extends beyond our faculty, staff, and students. I deeply regret to now learn that a reporter covering the University was also subject to this type of deplorable behavior and I extend a sincere apology to Ms. Rayno.

The two reports that led to Friday’s resignation were the first of their kind to be reported to the University's Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Office and President's Office, and the University took swift action. With this latest report, we will look into whether any university employees who have a responsibility to report these kinds of concerns were aware of the incidents.

We take all reports of sexual harassment very seriously and we encourage anyone else who experienced such actions to come forward. They may remain anonymous by reporting through the UReport, our confidential reporting service at 1-866-294-8680 or online at ureport.ethicspoint.com.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 110
RE: General Gopher Talk - 8/10/2015 6:49:26 AM   
Mr. Ed

@BlountStrib
When I was a young reporter on North Stars beat, Green (team owner) tried to kiss me, pawed at me, often commented on my appearance.

@BlountStrib
Colleagues shrugged their shoulders or laughed. Like Amelia, I worried about losing access--or being taken off the beat. An awful situation.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 111
RE: General Gopher Talk - 8/10/2015 6:50:15 AM   
Mr. Ed

@PhilMackey
If ppl above and around Norwood at 'U' were aware of his behavior, then aren't we talking about institutional enabling of sexual harassment?

But those were "formal" complaints. How many "informal" encounters did the 'U' know about?

Escape while you can!
Post #: 112
RE: General Gopher Talk - 8/10/2015 6:51:17 AM   
Mr. Ed

@1500ESPNJudd
Big time credit to @AmeliaRayno for writing about Norwood Teague harassing her. You have to wonder how many women have similar stories?

@1500ESPNJudd
Difficult to believe Norwood was drunk every time he texted Amelia. Thus, the "being drunk made me do it defense," just went out the window.

@1500ESPNJudd
On Friday, I thought there was a chance that having Teague walk away would end this story. The U should be proactive now and investigate.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 113
RE: General Gopher Talk - 8/10/2015 6:51:34 AM   
Mr. Ed

@1500ESPN_Reusse
Nowhere to pass the buck. Eric Kaler hired him.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 114
RE: General Gopher Talk - 8/10/2015 8:25:30 AM   
Lynn G.

The first thing I thought of when I heard that two women accused Teague of sexual harrassment was that there were more out there. Kudos to Rayno for coming forward when doing so puts you in the eye of a very uncomfortable storm - but it's important for all of the information to get out there. It really is like Norm Green all over again, but this time the sloth doesn't actually own a team.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 115
RE: General Gopher Talk - 8/10/2015 8:26:54 AM   
Lynn G.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

@1500ESPN_Reusse
Nowhere to pass the buck. Eric Kaler hired him.

And Kaler could be blamed if there was any information out there about Teague's sickening predisposition. But if there wasn't, if no one had reported anything in the past, I don't see how Kaler could have known this about him.

Post #: 116
RE: General Gopher Talk - 8/10/2015 8:59:05 AM   
TJSweens

I think Reusse had to get that in there because Kahler picked someone who was not the endorsed candidate of The Bretheren at that time. Since Reusse has assumed the mantel of schill for The Bretheren, he was compelled to get that did in.

Post #: 117
RE: General Gopher Talk - 8/10/2015 9:11:15 AM   
Lynn G.

Ah, thanks for the inside info.

Post #: 118
RE: General Gopher Talk - 8/11/2015 6:30:22 AM   
Mr. Ed

Complaints from co-workers against Teague date back to 2012

University of Minnesota and Virginia Commonwealth paid $300,000 to settle earlier claims of gender discrimination.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 119
RE: General Gopher Talk - 8/11/2015 8:09:47 PM   
SoMnFan

The fact that Norm Green never "disappeared" .... Was a major major miracle.
Hell, I was even involved in a plot or two that never materialized.
Slime balls. Men who treat women like that deserve castration. They aren't put here for your entertainment, you twits.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 120
RE: General Gopher Talk - 8/12/2015 11:18:42 AM   
SoMnFan

Congrats Drew.
Great kid.
Smooooth athlete. Will try to play both baseball and football.
Great pedigree. Great attitude. Kind of an open slate right now.
Not sure he's D1 at any sport but certainly could grow into it.

http://www.scout.com/college/minnesota/story/1573149-3-star-wr-drew-hmielewski-commits-to-gophers#.VcrLEG_8-94.facebook

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 121
RE: General Gopher Talk - 8/12/2015 12:22:50 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Congrats Drew.
Great kid.

http://www.scout.com/college/minnesota/story/1573149-3-star-wr-drew-hmielewski-commits-to-gophers#.VcrLEG_8-94.facebook

What was his 3rd sport in HS? The article says he was a 3-sport athlete.
Post #: 122
RE: General Gopher Talk - 8/12/2015 4:03:20 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Congrats Drew.
Great kid.

What was his 3rd sport in HS? The article says he was a 3-sport athlete.

Basketball, which some say is his best. His Mom was a legend at that. Dad was a near-ML baseball player before injury.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 123
RE: General Gopher Talk - 8/12/2015 4:03:52 PM   
SoMnFan

And yes ... we are angry every day that we didn't get him in the best sport here.
Because he would have been VERY good at hockey had he played. Great hands, brain, eyes, just a smooth ath-u-lete...

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 124
RE: General Gopher Talk - 8/17/2015 9:31:17 AM   
SoMnFan

Any thoughts or scuttlebutt on who will be our new AD?
Lets hope for a much better vetting process this time, eh?

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 125
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: General Gopher Talk Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode