Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  179 180 [181] 182 183   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 8/27/2014 1:00:43 PM   
Bill Jandro

What a crock.

I had a Trig teacher I couldn't even understand there. Speaking english was not much of a prequalifier from my experience going to school there.

one would think they would allow him through by the mere revenue he could help produce.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 4501
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/6/2014 4:41:33 PM   
David Levine

Gopher Basketball Recruiting: Gophers Get Commitment From Jonathan Nwankwo

The 2015 Gopher Basketball Recruiting class grew to 3 last night and the first frontcourt player of the class has been secured. Jonathan Nwankwo is a 6-9 post player on an official visit this weekend and even though the big man had other offers and visits scheduled he gave his verbal pledge to Richard Pitino and staff.

What do we know about this latest commit?

Nwankwo is a Nigerian born big man from New York. He will be finishing his prep career at Victory Rock Prep down in Florida. It appears as though he is a big and strong kid who will come to the Gophers ready to be an excellent rebounder and defender. The offensive skill set is developing but finishing strong around the rim is not a problem. I clearly do not know a ton about him, but here are a few reports of the type of player Nwankwo appears to be.

His ESPN Scouts Inc scouting report.

quote:

Nwankwo is a big body post that competes and plays with energy and urgency. He runs the floor pretty well and does a good job of catching and finishing when he receives drop off passes created by dribble penetration. Excellent rebounder on both ends of the floor. Scores over his left shoulder in the post. He also a pretty good on ball shot blocker.

Nwankwo rebounding and defense is ahead of his offense at this time. He has great size and is a immediate factor on the defensive end of the floor and possess terrific upside and is a major college low post prospect.

NYCHoops.net had a couple of articles on the NYC area kid and was quite complimentary of his game and skill set.

quote:

Grabbing rebounds, blocking shots or intimidating opponents who dared drive down the lane and scoring at the rim was a reoccurring trademark of Nwankwo who recently transferred from Monsignor Scanlon HS to Victory Rock Prep. The aggressive play and seemingly endless motor has caught the eye of quite a few college coaches.

And this was from his August experience at the Las Vegas Fab 48 tournament.

quote:

Nwankwo is a fighter in the paint. A relentless competitor on the boards. While he's still rough around the edges and needs work on his offense, the power forward is clearly teachable. Only working off of instinct, Nwankwo is able to imprint a game.

You get the impression that Nwankwo will immediately bring some strength and toughness to the Gopher frontcourt. I love a guy who is big, strong and teachable. I love a guy who is described as relentless on the boards, the obvious comparison seems to be that Nwankwo has a similar skill set to Trevor Mbawke. Not every recruit needs to be a high-scoring asset, having a guy who will be intimidating in the paint and snatch up rebounds. I am looking forward to him giving a legit Big Ten bodied big man.

The next logical question is, what does this mean for the rest of the 2015 recruiting class? As it stands the Gophers currently have one available scholarship and there are two pretty significant local recruits we are still pursuing. There appear to be two potential scenarios. Either the last scholarship will go to whoever decides first between Jarvis Johnson and Alex Illikainen. Or the Gophers will accept both verbal commitments and have to figure out what to do at a later date knowing that transfers happen or something along those lines will make a 5th scholarship available for this class. My gut tells me that they would accept both Johnson and Illikainen then figure out the numbers later. You don't turn away top 150 guys who are in your backyard, allowing them to play for another Big Ten school for the next four years.

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2014/9/6/6113941/gopher-basketball-recruiting-gophers-get-commitment-from-jonathan
Post #: 4502
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/8/2014 1:04:39 PM   
Dave E

Another nice get. Now lock up Johnson and Illikainen and you have a hell of a good class.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 4503
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/11/2014 8:21:38 AM   
Bill Jandro

Another good get but G play is extremely critical esp at the college level. Don't get me wrong we need big men too but I haven't heard of any G's being recruited its all been big men.

Post #: 4504
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/11/2014 8:51:30 AM   
TJSweens

You mean besides 4 star PG Kevin Dorsey from Maryland and 3 star SG Dupree McBrayer from New Jersey.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 4505
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/11/2014 10:30:39 AM   
Dave E

I'm more worried about big men than guards.

Particularly if Jarvis Johnson joins up on Friday.

--twinsfan
Post #: 4506
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/11/2014 10:42:49 AM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave E

I'm more worried about big men than guards.

Particularly if Jarvis Johnson joins up on Friday.

Since Minn is his only official visit, he might be staying right here taking the last spot. Now will Pitino have any players that might want to transfer out at end of year to be able to get Illikainen?

Fargo
Post #: 4507
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/11/2014 9:36:58 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

You mean besides 4 star PG Kevin Dorsey from Maryland and 3 star SG Dupree McBrayer from New Jersey.

SSSWWWWWEEEEETTTTT

Post #: 4508
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/12/2014 8:07:29 AM   
SoMnFan

As speculated, Jarvis Johnson signs on!
Good call Dave.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4509
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/12/2014 8:15:32 AM   
TJSweens

Pitino's 2015 is ranked anywhere from #18 to #25 nationally for whatever that is worth. Even though this uses up his last scholarship Pitino is still recruiting Illikainen hard. These things have a way of working themselves out. Somebody transfers and a scholarship opens up.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 4510
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/12/2014 8:21:42 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

Pitino's 2015 is ranked anywhere from #18 to #25 nationally for whatever that is worth. Even though this uses up his last scholarship Pitino is still recruiting Illikainen hard. These things have a way of working themselves out. Somebody transfers and a scholarship opens up.

That sounds like we overachieved. Are or how did we fare against the rest of the B10

Post #: 4511
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/12/2014 8:32:44 AM   
TJSweens

I think it is #5 in the BT. The twofer in signing Johnson is that Wisconsin offered him a scholarship as well. I hate Bo Ryan with every fiber of my being.

Post #: 4512
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/12/2014 8:35:05 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

I think it is #5 in the BT. The twofer in signing Johnson is that Wisconsin offered him a scholarship as well. I hate Bo Ryan with every fiber of my being.

The Lizard King
I'd be happy if we stole condiments from their arena lobby.
Hopefully that one hurts em.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4513
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/12/2014 9:02:51 AM   
TJSweens

I actually hate UW athletics way more than the Pukers.

Post #: 4514
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/12/2014 3:34:55 PM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

Better yet, he cancelled his official visit for this weekend. Minn was the only official he took.

Fargo
Post #: 4515
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/15/2014 10:55:06 AM   
Dave E

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

As speculated, Jarvis Johnson signs on!
Good call Dave.

Great signing.

All signs seemed to point towards the U, happily. DLS coach said he thought the biggest factor between Johnson and Reid Travis is that Johnson got to see an entire season of Pitino's team play.

Hopefully that bodes well for keeping in state talent at home long term.

--twinsfan
Post #: 4516
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/15/2014 10:59:34 AM   
Dave E

quote:

Sounds like Illikainen might be cooling on MN -- rumors abounding that he's down to Wisconsin and Iowa. That came after Johnson signing, though -- maybe Pitino can still get to him and let him know they'll find a scholarship for him if he commits. Not holding my breath, though; sounds like he's pretty high on Wisconson.

--twinsfan
Post #: 4517
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/15/2014 11:04:33 AM   
TJSweens

Post #: 4518
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/15/2014 1:08:25 PM   
Pete M.

quote:

I just don't think they have a spot for him right now, and would Pitino run someone off for him? I don't know. AI would be a really nice stretch 4 in Pitino's system, though. (Sadly, looks like a great fit for the Grinch's system, too.)
Post #: 4519
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/15/2014 1:36:55 PM   
David Levine

Pitino Blog: Week 2

By Richard Pitino on September 12, 2014 9:27 AM
Good morning Gopher fans,

Barely two weeks have passed since our players came back to campus for the school year. We have had a total of six individual instruction workouts with our guys. Along with working our players out on campus, our staff has hit the road recruiting.

I have been impressed with several players. As for the newcomers, Bakary Konate has stood out the most. This year will be perfect for him to learn under Elliott and Mo. He is a legit 6-11, plays with a high motor, and is very skilled. He also is a phenomenal kid and a quick learner. We are very excited! Andre and Deandre continue to progress on the court as well as in the weight room. They should prove to be a very strong backcourt.

Next week we will start team practice for a total of two hours a week. We will bring them along slowly starting with the basic fundamentals on defense. The look of this year's team will be different. We will certainly miss our veterans and they will be tough to replace. All of our newcomers are eager to learn and will have to impact this team immediately. It will be fun to see who separates themselves.

September 9th marked the beginning of the recruiting period. The first three days I was in Minnesota, Kansas, and several different locations in Florida. Last year's NIT championship and 25 wins has certainly helped in recruiting. We hope to deliver a very strong recruiting class that tailors to our system. We will try to get quicker and more athletic. We constantly talk about our tremendous fan base and our second-to-none basketball conference. Expectations will be higher this season. They should be! We will embrace the challenge.

Hoops season is just around the corner and we need to be ready. Not too many programs open up their season vs. a top-five team on national TV. Gopher fans, I must warn you. Ignore anything and everything that comes out of my father's mouth leading up to this game. He does it on the golf course all the time and will start playing mind games with all of us soon enough! Pay no attention to him. He will say they are young and inexperienced. They are talented, athletic and obviously well-coached. He will tell everyone we are the overwhelming favorite. Prepare yourselves. He tried to coach my team last year during the NIT championship. I am looking forward to watching him try to coach both teams at once on November 14th! Haha.

Thanks to Land O' Lakes for their generous donation. Our basketball program is extremely grateful.

The immediate upgrades to Bierman and to our Williams Arena locker room are first-class. The barber shop was also a nice touch. I have said it before and I'll say it again, we have one of the best athletic directors in the country. Norwood Teague will continue to move this athletic department forward.

Good luck to the football team on Saturday. Should be a fun one!

Go Gophers!

Richard Pitino
Post #: 4520
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/15/2014 6:32:58 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pete M.

quote:

I just don't think they have a spot for him right now, and would Pitino run someone off for him? I don't know. AI would be a really nice stretch 4 in Pitino's system, though. (Sadly, looks like a great fit for the Grinch's system, too.)

Hate ... Bo Ryan... hate ... Wisconsin f***ing Badgers.

Post #: 4521
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/16/2014 9:28:49 AM   
Dave E

Admittedly, hard to say he'd run anyone off the team...he's already rid himself of Tubby's dreck; not much left to jettison.

--twinsfan
Post #: 4522
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/16/2014 9:41:37 AM   
TJSweens

No, but sometimes guys transfer because they aren't getting a chance to play.

Post #: 4523
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/22/2014 9:38:19 AM   
TJSweens

Illikainen commits to Bo Ryan and the Badgers. He's dead to me. I hope he blows his knees out.

Post #: 4524
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/22/2014 10:22:28 AM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

Illikainen commits to Bo Ryan and the Badgers. He's dead to me. I hope he blows his knees out.

I can't blame him, he wanted to commit prior to his senior season started. He can't wait for Pitino to make room after the season.

Fargo
Post #: 4525
Page:   <<   < prev  179 180 [181] 182 183   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  179 180 [181] 182 183   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode