Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  177 178 [179] 180 181   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/23/2014 10:47:27 AM   
Dave E

Sounds like we're getting that IL State transfer, although I think he needs to sit for a year.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 4451
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/23/2014 11:06:58 AM   
TJSweens

I thought he was more interested in the Gophers than the Gophers are in him. They haven't offered a scholarship as far as I know.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 4452
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/23/2014 12:57:57 PM   
Dave E

Marcus whatshisname from the PiPress tweeted this morning that he confirmed they have offered him.

--twinsfan
Post #: 4453
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/23/2014 1:09:55 PM   
David Levine

Amelia Rayno ‏@AmeliaRayno 1m
Bakary Konate just committed to the University of Minnesota. That's Minnesota's 5th commit.

Brent Petermeier ‏@B_Rose_10 58s
Gophers land recruit Bakary Konate over Louisville! Way to steal the recruit from your pops Richard!
Post #: 4454
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/23/2014 1:16:02 PM   
Corleone

Nice get.
Post #: 4455
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/23/2014 1:28:05 PM   
Dave E

Got a big man. Nice.

--twinsfan
Post #: 4456
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/23/2014 2:08:04 PM   
David Levine

Center Bakary Konate commits to Minnesota
Posted by: Amelia Rayno: April 23, 2014 - 1:28 PM

Richard Pitino's 2014 recruiting class continues to grow.

A source confirmed to the Star Tribune that center Bakary Konate committed to Minnesota on Wednesday, giving the Gophers five incoming recruits for next season.

Scout's Evan Daniels first reported the news.

Minnesota signed power forward Josh Martin and guards (JUCO) Carlos Morris and Nate Mason last fall and received a commitment from forward Gaston Diedhiou, who has not yet penned his National Letter of Intent, on April 11. Spring commits have until May 21 to sign.

The 6-11 Konate, who currently plays at Sunrise Christian Academy in Kansas, adds some much-needed size to the Gophers' roster, which loses senior centers Elliott Eliason and Mo Walker after next season. The Mali native had said he was choosing between the Gophers, Tulane, Texas A&M and Creighton.
Post #: 4457
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/23/2014 2:23:08 PM   
Dave E

So five guys in and an offer out to Lofton. Looks like Piper didn't get the grades up.

--twinsfan
Post #: 4458
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/24/2014 9:07:44 PM   
David Levine

Gopher Basketball Recruiting: Two More Commits for Gopher Basketball
By GopherNation  @TheDailyGopher on Apr 24 2014, 2:01p

Yesterday and today have seen the Gophers add two more commitments to the class of 2014. The class now has 6 commitments and should be finished for the year.

C-Bakary Konate

News broke yesterday that Pitino and staff signed Bakary Konate, a 6-11 big man originally from Mali and was on the team last season at Sunrise Christian Academy in Kansas. Here he was actually unable to compete in games in order to retain 4 years of college eligibility. What do we know about Konate? Not much, but Marcus Fuller put together a nice introductory article on Konate with quotes from he and his coach.

quote:

"What he can do now is defensively he's ready. He's long. He can protect the rim and clean up the glass pretty well. He can move his feet. So his immediate impact will be defensively."

Konate is a better outside shooter than a low-post scorer right now, but that could change with weight lifting, his coach says.

"He's actually a really good shooter," Barnwell said. "He can make threes and is a confident shooter. But his lower body has to get stronger for him to be more successful around the rim, offensively."
The staff found Konate after going to Sunrise to watch Tum Tum Nairn. Konate was practicing against Nairn's squad and impressed both Richard and Rick Pitino, who was there recruiting for Louisville.

This is another athletic big man to add to the mix. Konate will be a 20 year old freshman so whether or not he is redshirted should be an interesting decision. With Maurice Walker and Elliott Eliason ahead of him for playing time, it might make sense to redshirt and gain some strength, but he is already 20 and he may be ready to play fairly quickly. Seems to be fairly raw now but may have some significant upside.

SG-Zach Lofton

The staff wasn't finished this week after the Konate commitment. News broke today that the Gophers will be getting a transfer from Zach Lofton, a 6-4 shooting guard coming to us from Illinois State. Lofton is a Columbia Heights product who has taken a circuitous route to get back to Minnesota and play for the Gophers.

In high school Lofton led Columbia Heights to the state championship game. He was a big-time scorer averaging over 29 points per game. Upon graduating Loften decided to go the Prep School route and spent a year playing for Quakerdale Prep in Iowa hoping to earn a D1 scholarship. His next years was spent down in Texas in the JUCO ranks, playing for San Jacinto where he earned himself a scholarship at Illinois State.

His first year at ISU, Lofton was the team's 2nd leading scorer at 11.3 per game. And now he is heading back home to play for the University that he always wanted to play for. He will have to sit out a year, due to the transfer, and will then have 2 years to play.

This is a nice pickup, to get a scoring guard to replace much of the backcourt scoring we will lose next year when Andre Hollins and DeAndre Mathieu graduate. I expect that Lofton will be one of our key offensive contributors for two seasons when he becomes eligible.

With this week's activity the Gopher staff has used up all 6 available scholarships for this year while spreading two of them out over different classes.
Post #: 4459
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/24/2014 9:08:51 PM   
David Levine

Gophers recruiting: Pitino gets fifth commitment with 6-11 post Bakary Konate
23 April, 2014 // Gophers Now

Gophers coach Richard Pitino now has his center for the future locked up after the commitment Wednesday from 6-foot-11, 220-pound Bakary Konate from Sunrise Christian Academy in Kansas.

“It will be great place for me to learn about great coaches, players and people,” he told the Pioneer Press on Wednesday. “And a great opportunity to shine (as a) person and player.”

On Saturday, Konate said he had already made his decision after cancelling an official trip to Tulane. He visited Minnesota in February when the Gophers lost to Illinois at home. He picked them over Tulane, Creighton and Texas A&M.

Konate said he still needs to get a qualifying score on his SAT, which he will take in May. That should be the last obstacle for him to join the team this summer. He spent this past season on Sunrise’s post-graduate team but didn’t participate in any games against primarily junior college competition. That would have resulted in him losing a year of eligibility.

Sunrise Christian’s post-grad team coach Luke Barnwell said Konate wanted to commit to Minnesota right after he visited on February 18.

“He was thinking about doing visits, but he just said he wasn’t going to do it because he was too excited about Minnesota,” Barnwell said Wednesday. “We wanted him to keep his options open and try to see something else. He was getting ready to start doing that, and was like ‘I really don’t want to anymore. That’s where I want to go’.”

Konate started his basketball career playing for Alkaya Touré in Bamako, Mali. At 15, he ended up signing for eight years with Club Baloncesto Gran Canaria in Spain. He excelled right away at the cadet and junior levels to become one of the brightest young stars in Spanish basketball.

As I pointed out previously, the 20-year-old three-star prospect created some buzz at the 2009 Nike International Junior Tournament in Berlin. He was only 16 at the time but performed well in an event that included Jonas Valanciunas, a Lithuanian center who was eventually picked fifth overall in the 2011 NBA Draft. Konate was MVP of the U-16 Spanish Clubs championships, so he got invited to play in the Jordan Brand Classic international game in 2009.

Barnwell said Mississippi freshman center Sebastian Saiz, who is from Spain, helped to persuade Konate to come to the U.S. last September to pursue a college basketball scholarship. Saiz also played at Sunrise Christian in 2013. Problem is Konate couldn’t speak much English when he arrived. konate

“When he first got here, I could barely understand him and he could barely understand me,” Barnwell said. “But in a matter of months, he’s learned quick. That shows you how intelligent he is. He has no problem now.”

Konate’s defensive presence showed in Sunrise practices this year against the school’s elite high school level team that featured Michigan State recruit Tum Tum Nairn, a former Gophers target.

It was during those workouts that both Richard and Rick Pitino saw Konate for the first time. Konate initially visited and wanted to enroll at Louisville this year but “he wasn’t ready,” Barnwell said.

“It just worked out better for him to be at Minnesota,” he said. “What he can do now is defensively he’s ready. He’s long. He can protect the rim and clean up the glass pretty well. He can move his feet. So his immediate impact will be defensively.”

Konate is a better outside shooter than a low-post scorer right now, but that could change with weight lifting, his coach says.

“He’s actually a really good shooter,” Barnwell said. “He can make threes and is a confident shooter. But his lower body has to get stronger for him to be more successful around the rim, offensively.”

The Gophers now could have one of the most athletic young frontcourts in the Big Ten when they sign both 6-9 Senegal native Gaston Diedhiou and Konate, to go along with 6-9 power forward Josh Martin from Seattle.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2014/04/23/gophers-recruiting-pitino-gets-fifth-commitment-with-6-11-post-bakary-konate/
Post #: 4460
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/28/2014 1:31:34 PM   
Mr. Ed

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Richard_Pitino_Gophers_sign_three_more_for_2014_recruiting_class042814

Richard Pitino and the Gophers are adding three players to the 2014 signing class.

Gaston Diedhiou, Bakary Konate and Zach Lofton have signed National Letters of Intent, the team announced Monday.

Diedhiou and Konate will join the Gophers for the 2014-15 season, while Lofton will redshirt because of NCAA transfer rules. Lofton played last season at Illinois State.

Minnesota's 2014 signing class also includes guard Nate Mason (Decatur, Ga./Arlington Country Day), guard Carlos Morris (Apalachicola, Fla./Chipola College) and forward Josh Martin (Bothell, Wash./Bothell).

Gaston Diedhiou

Diedhiou, a native of Senegal, is a 6'9" forward who most recently played at the Canarias Basketball Academy in Spain under head coach Rob Orellana. Diedhiou is an athletic, physical big man who has the potential to impact both the offensive and defensive ends of the court. Extremely versatile both on and off the court, he can play multiple positions and even more impressively, he is fluent in three languages (French, Spanish, English).

"We are excited about signing Gaston," Pitino said. "He brings a necessary addition to our frontcourt. His size and potential will be a great asset to our team."

Bakary Konate

A 6'11" center, Konate will join the Gophers following a standout career at the Sunrise Christian Academy in Wichita, Kan. Under the tutelage of head coach Kyle Lindsted and assistant coach Luke Barnwell, Konate is praised by the Minnesota coaches for his strong work ethic and athleticism. The Mali native can shoot from distance, but is also lauded for his rebounding and shot blocking ability.

"Bakary has tremendous potential - the sky is the limit for him," Pitino said. "He's a great athlete and shot blocker which is vital in our system. His best days of basketball are certainly ahead of him."

Zach Lofton, transfer from Illinois State

A St. Paul native, Lofton returns home to the Twin Cities following a standout season at Illinois State University, where the 6'4" guard was second on the Redbirds averaging 11.3 points per game. Lofton also contributed 3.0 rebounds per game, 46 assists and 31 steals during his time at ISU. He spent his freshman season at San Jacinto College in Texas, averaging 16.6 points, 3.8 rebounds and 2.6 assists per game. In high school, Lofton helped guide Columbia Heights to the Minnesota Class 3A state championship game.

"Zach is a very talented player and has been a proven scorer in a very competitive basketball conference," added Pitino. "He has great size and athleticism. He grew up loving the U and will wear the Minnesota jersey with pride."

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4461
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/28/2014 7:22:59 PM   
SoMnFan

Seems to be a pretty good early run?
I'm clueless, appreciate the reports guys.  

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4462
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/29/2014 10:35:34 AM   
Dave E

No question that the athleticism of the team is going to skyrocket next year, which should allow Pitino's system to work better. I'll be curious if any of these guys are red shirted.

--twinsfan
Post #: 4463
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/29/2014 10:50:17 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave E

No question that the athleticism of the team is going to skyrocket next year, which should allow Pitino's system to work better. I'll be curious if any of these guys are red shirted.

Lofton has to because of the transfer.

Konate is already going to turn 21 during his Freshman year, so I wonder if he made it clear before signing that he wouldn't want to sit out a year?

No idea about anyone else.

I'm still not sure we have an actual SF on the roster (I think we'll end up seeing King and/or Buggs playing some big line-up zone SF), and we're pretty thin in the backcourt.
Post #: 4464
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/29/2014 12:51:54 PM   
Dave E

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave E

Lofton has to because of the transfer.

Konate is already going to turn 21 during his Freshman year, so I wonder if he made it clear before signing that he wouldn't want to sit out a year?

No idea about anyone else.

I'm still not sure we have an actual SF on the roster (I think we'll end up seeing King and/or Buggs playing some big line-up zone SF), and we're pretty thin in the backcourt.

Gotta figure you needd to get Konate some time next year, as he'll be the only big (as of now) on the team in 2015.

Morris, no chance, he might be starting.

--twinsfan
Post #: 4465
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/29/2014 4:09:41 PM   
SoMnFan

Was just gonna ask where our shooting will come from ...

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4466
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/29/2014 4:18:26 PM   
Dave E

Definitely a lot of pressure on big Dre to take the step forward we were hoping he'd take this past year -- I think he's the biggest key.

Morris hopefully will provide some buckets.

Big Mo should be more consistent offensively from the get next year as well.

--twinsfan
Post #: 4467
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 6/29/2014 8:28:41 AM   
Bill Jandro

Richard Pitino seems to be working out real well for us. I think his dad seems to be helping him along steering some good recruits his way. We should lock him up long term so no southern school can steal him out from under us.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 4468
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 6/29/2014 9:51:45 AM   
lylej

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Richard Pitino seems to be working out real well for us. I think his dad seems to be helping him along steering some good recruits his way. We should lock him up long term so no southern school can steal him out from under us.

Completely agree ... however, that doesn't always work either....as some long-term coaches signing huge long-term contracts still are allowed to leave when the leaving is good for them!

Good pitching will beat good hitting any time, and vice versa.
Post #: 4469
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 6/29/2014 10:01:02 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: lylej

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Completely agree ... however, that doesn't always work either....as some long-term coaches signing huge long-term contracts still are allowed to leave when the leaving is good for them!

I know a contract means very little for college football coaches.
Does a simliar standard go on in College BB as well?

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 4470
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 7/12/2014 11:31:38 AM   
Jim Frenette

Gophers just got a 2015 commit from Kevin Dorsey a 4 star PG from Virgina

Fargo
Post #: 4471
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 7/12/2014 12:04:51 PM   
David Levine

Kevin Dorsey, a 4 star PG recruit out of Paul VI High School in Maryland verbally committed Sunday to play for Minnesota. He is the first commitment of the 2015 recruiting cycle. Dorsey selected Minnesota over Maryland and Nebraska.

How Does He Fit in With the Gophers?

Incredibly well. The Gophers need back court help for 2015, particularly at the PG position. Dorsey is a fast, hard-working player with solid court vision and the ability to make plays at both ends of the court. His game looks to fit in very well with the up-tempo, pick and roll heavy Gophers attack. Credit to Kimani Young for taking the lead and stealing a player from Maryland that the Terps had their eyes on.

More generally, it should be obvious that Pitino and his coaches are developing and recruiting to a system. The Gophers love fast PGs that can get into the lane and play at multiple speeds, and based on offers are more than willing to place height as a lower priority. After years of Tubby Smith neglecting the most important position on the floor, the fact that the Gophers are aggressively looking for PGs makes me very happy.

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2014/7/12/5893445/kevin-dorsey-verbally-commits-to-minnesota
Post #: 4472
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 7/12/2014 12:18:25 PM   
SoMnFan

Sounds like a great "get"

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4473
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 7/12/2014 12:27:20 PM   
David Levine

Kevin Dorsey chooses Gophers, Richard Pitino lands a top 2015 recruit
By Marcus R. Fuller

Four-star point guard Kevin Dorsey gave Gophers coach Richard Pitino his first commitment in the 2015 class on Saturday morning.

Dorsey, who ranks No. 84 nationally by Rivals.com, announced his decision on Twitter: "I Am Blessed To Announce That I Have Committed To The University Of Minnesota #GoldenGophers #BIG10 Thank You To All That Supported!"

The 5-foot-11, 160-pound Dorsey, who played for Paul VI High School in Fairfax, Va., picked Minnesota over Maryland and Nebraska.

"Dorsey's a guy I've always really liked," Rivals.com national recruiting analyst Eric Bossi said Saturday. "Earlier on in his career, you noticed he was very quick, a playmaker off the dribble and a really intense defender. But here in the last six months to a year, he's really improved as a jump shooter. Maybe not as much as a deep shooter but he pulls up from between 12-15 feet. He's also a really vocal leader. He's a really good pick up for Minnesota."

Pitino still has DeLaSalle High School point guard Jarvis Johnson as a priority in the class, so it's possible that he and Dorsey could play together.

Johnson and former Grand Rapids forward Alex Illikainen are the two top players in the 2015 class from Minnesota.

Illikainen is leaving for his senior season to attend Brewster Academy in Massachusetts.

"Obviously, Johnson and (Illikainen) are local kids, and Pitino is still looking to make a big splash with the more well known local kids," Bossi said. "I don't know who else is recruiting them as hard as (the Gophers) are."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_26137615/kevin-dorsey-chooses-gophers-richard-pitino-lands-top
Post #: 4474
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 7/14/2014 4:18:01 PM   
Phil Riewer

Darren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson 26m
#Gophers new Nike deal goes Aug. 1-July 2020. Worth about $2.2M/yr. Current deal worth $1.3M/yr. Says a lot about what Nike thinks of MN.

I knew Pitino was worth his salary (literally)....

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 4475
Page:   <<   < prev  177 178 [179] 180 181   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  177 178 [179] 180 181   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode