Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  231 232 [233] 234 235   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/2/2018 8:20:25 AM   
Lynn G.

But weren't our "stars" the ones who were injured?

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 5801
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/2/2018 9:16:41 AM  1 votes
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

But weren't our "stars" the ones who were injured?

Not really. I think Mason and Murphy SHOULD be the most important players, and they were healthy.

There's an argument for Lynch being in the Top 2, because he brings dominant defense. But if you had asked me, which of the 3 of Mason, Murphy and Lynch would you choose to move on without?...I would have reluctantly chosen Lynch. And I'm talking for basketball reasons only. All things considered, Lynch is the obvious choice you would want to move on without.

Coffey was probably our 4th best player. But honestly those 4 guys are pretty much even, all considered. So yes, we did lose 2 "stars," but we still had 2 stars.

We would have been an absolute mess if Mason wasn't out there to run the show. Could you imagine this year with Washington as our point guard? We wouldn't have won ANY Big 10 games.

McBrayer was definitely banged up for most of the season too. But man, that guy is so frustrating. I don't know if he's a net positive yet even when healthy.

Curry was out all season, that that was a big blow to our depth. But he was a 6th or 7th man.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 5802
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/2/2018 9:32:10 AM   
drew

I agree with almost everything you said, except I think you are underrating Coffey. I think he's our best player when everything is taken into account, and he's the only one that has a realistic chance of playing in the NBA.

We had very little depth to begin the year, but we had a very good starting 5. When the dominos starting falling, we had to start guys that had no business even having bench roles. Hurt, Konate, Gas should be victory cigars and 2 of them were starting. You can't win major college games with those guys getting that many minutes.
Post #: 5803
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/2/2018 10:17:53 AM   
Bill Jandro

Boils down to zero depth. We had a decent starting 5 and Curry off the bench.

Lynch was a huge blow. He IMO was our most important player. His defense kept games in hand cuz let's face it even without any injuries this team goes thru stretches where they really struggle to put the ball in the basket.

Plus blocked shots and the like make for easier transition baskets.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 5804
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/2/2018 10:31:51 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

I think Mason and Murphy SHOULD be the most important players, and they were healthy.

quote:

ORIGINAL: drew

I agree with almost everything you said, except I think you are underrating Coffey. I think he's our best player when everything is taken into account, and he's the only one that has a realistic chance of playing in the NBA.

I think you're both right.

Coffey has the most upside, but he's also much farther from his ceiling than Mason and Murphy. He has the potential to be our best player, but he's not there yet.
Post #: 5805
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/2/2018 12:57:08 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

I think Mason and Murphy SHOULD be the most important players, and they were healthy.

quote:

Coffey has the most upside, but he's also much farther from his ceiling than Mason and Murphy. He has the potential to be our best player, but he's not there yet.

So I'm right.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 5806
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/2/2018 3:37:19 PM   
drew

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

So I'm right.

I concede.
Post #: 5807
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/26/2018 3:22:33 PM   
Phil Riewer

Devonte Fitzgerald is transferring...

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 5808
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/27/2018 11:16:58 AM   
Phil Riewer

Oturu wasn't named to the All Tourney team due to sportsmanship? He was getting hacked by Tre Jones and all he did was push someone away.....Tre Jones made the team.

I call BS.

Post #: 5809
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/27/2018 11:33:29 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Oturu wasn't named to the All Tourney team due to sportsmanship? He was getting hacked by Tre Jones and all he did was push someone away.....Tre Jones made the team.

I call BS.

I couldn't believe that sequence at the end of the first half. CDH got hacked (more like butchered) 4 times in a row on put back attempts, culminating in the one where Tre Jones should have been called for a flagrant foul and the end result was a T on Oturu for shoving him after the fact. I didn't know that he was left off the all tournament team. I agree. Pure bullshit.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 5810
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/27/2018 12:12:33 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

Devonte Fitzgerald is transferring...

Damn.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 5811
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/11/2018 12:36:18 PM   
Pete M.

Ben Johnson follows Kimani Young out the door. Both of them moved up in the CBB world, so it's hard to say why they left. From my perspective? I wouldn't put up with the in-game abuse they get from Pitino. It's obnoxious and so unprofessional.
Post #: 5812
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/11/2018 1:20:17 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pete M.
Ben Johnson follows Kimani Young out the door. Both of them moved up in the CBB world, so it's hard to say why they left. From my perspective? I wouldn't put up with the in-game abuse they get from Pitino. It's obnoxious and so unprofessional.

Neither of those two could coach defense....sounds like the new coach is a Bo Ryan disciple all the way to 2005 in Wisconsin. Maybe we will be able to play some defense now.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/11/2018 1:22:09 PM >

Post #: 5813
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/11/2018 6:59:16 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Should Pitino go Pete? You've been around the bench....

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5814
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/12/2018 8:43:03 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed
quote:

I doubt Pete would do it...he loves the U. Jeter is a really good hire, knows defense---need one more. I think we will miss Young's recruiting, don't know what Johnson brought to the table.

Post #: 5815
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/12/2018 10:07:17 AM  1 votes
Pete M.

quote:

quote:

I'm very concerned.

(1) He has little emotional self-control. It's startling to see him throw tantrums on the sideline that I wouldn't tolerate from my 4-year-old. You see the best of coaches throw tantrums once in awhile, but you get the sense that it's "controlled," or intentional, most of the time. Not so with Pitino. And again, seeing him publicly berate and emasculate his assistant coaches -- seemingly for the benefit of the fans sitting behind the bench -- is ridiculous.

(2) Where's the player development? Look at Nate Mason and his 4-year stats. How did he significantly improve other than getting a lot more opportunity and experience? Murphy and McBrayer have improved shooting-wise, for sure, but are they dramatically different players than they were as an underclassman? And then look at all the guys who failed to become even serviceable B1G players. Is Pitino not getting through to the team?

(3) Recruiting misses. Konate. Diedhou. Jamir Harris. Deandre McNeil. The list goes on. I know there's an error rate when it comes to recruiting, but the failures of so many of his guys to even become SERVICEABLE B1G players means you're going to have depth problems.

(4) Coherent system. What's the team's identity? Unless you're one of the blue bloods, you'd better have a solid system and coherent identity, recruit to it, and master it. Look at how a guy like Beilein (or Bo Ryan previously) always seemed to improve over the course of the year, even with young teams. What's Pitino's identity? I have no idea.

(5) Scandal. Some of the past stuff seemed to clear up a little this year, at least until the Lynch debacle. But he's gotta be skating on pretty thin ice with the off-the-court embarrassments over the last few years.

I'm not done with him yet and don't think he should be fired -- yet. But I'm not at all convinced he's a good "coach," in the sense of establishing a system, identifying the right fits for it, and gameplanning to his team's strengths. He's young, so hopefully he can continue learning on the job and recruiting more Murphys and Coffeys and Oturus. But we'll see.

< Message edited by Pete M. -- 4/12/2018 10:09:41 AM >
Post #: 5816
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/12/2018 10:08:23 AM   
Pete M.

quote:

quote:

quote:

I doubt Pete would do it...he loves the U. Jeter is a really good hire, knows defense---need one more. I think we will miss Young's recruiting, don't know what Johnson brought to the table.

Johnson was the local recruiter, still really tied in with the in-state scene. That's still a big need, so another local would be great.
Post #: 5817
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/12/2018 10:18:09 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm very concerned.

(1) He has little emotional self-control. It's startling to see him throw tantrums on the sideline that I wouldn't tolerate from my 4-year-old. You see the best of coaches throw tantrums once in awhile, but you get the sense that it's "controlled," or intentional, most of the time. Not so with Pitino. And again, seeing him publicly berate and emasculate his assistant coaches -- seemingly for the benefit of the fans sitting behind the bench -- is ridiculous.

(2) Where's the player development? Look at Nate Mason and his 4-year stats. How did he significantly improve other than getting a lot more opportunity and experience? Murphy and McBrayer have improved shooting-wise, for sure, but are they dramatically different players than they were as an underclassman? And then look at all the guys who failed to become even serviceable B1G players. Is Pitino not getting through to the team?

(3) Recruiting misses. Konate. Diedhou. Jamir Harris. Deandre McNeil. The list goes on. I know there's an error rate when it comes to recruiting, but the failures of so many of his guys to even become SERVICEABLE B1G players means you're going to have depth problems.

(4) Coherent system. What's the team's identity? Unless you're one of the blue bloods, you'd better have a solid system and coherent identity, recruit to it, and master it. Look at how a guy like Beilein (or Bo Ryan previously) always seemed to improve over the course of the year, even with young teams. What's Pitino's identity? I have no idea.

(5) Scandal. Some of the past stuff seemed to clear up a little this year, at least until the Lynch debacle. But he's gotta be skating on pretty thin ice with the off-the-court embarrassments over the last few years.

I'm not done with him yet and don't think he should be fired -- yet. But I'm not at all convinced he's a good "coach," in the sense of establishing a system, identifying the right fits for it, and gameplanning to his team's strengths. He's young, so hopefully he can continue learning on the job and recruiting more Murphys and Coffeys and Oturus. But we'll see.

It is tricky Pete with McBrayer (stress fracture kept him out almost all of last summer and during the year) and even Coffey (shoulder)...damn weird injuries on them. Harris is a Freshman and has shown flashes. Murphy has improved greatly....the biggest thing for me concerning Pitino is their defense and building the bench.

I don't care who is in the game our defense should be the same......I don't know if that is on Johnson, Young or both. Has Young and Johnson been a boon to our recruiting? I don't think they have so we need a better Xs and Os coach and I think Jeter is that type.

Problem is that if Jeter has success he will take a top job in a year or two but he is a better coach than either that left.

We will have way better depth next year. Way better recruiting year and we need to get Coffey and McBrayer healthy.

Post #: 5818
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/12/2018 10:20:28 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm very concerned.

That's a great post young man.
Passes all the requirements.
Post #: 5819
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/12/2018 10:30:12 AM   
Pete M.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm very concerned.

It is tricky Pete with McBrayer (stress fracture kept him out almost all of last summer and during the year) and even Coffey (shoulder)...damn weird injuries on them. Harris is a Freshman and has shown flashes. Murphy has improved greatly....the biggest thing for me concerning Pitino is their defense and building the bench.

I don't care who is in the game our defense should be the same......I don't know if that is on Johnson, Young or both. Has Young and Johnson been a boon to our recruiting? I don't think they have so we need a better Xs and Os coach and I think Jeter is that type.

Problem is that if Jeter has success he will take a top job in a year or two but he is a better coach than either that left.

We will have way better depth next year. Way better recruiting year and we need to get Coffey and McBrayer healthy.

Phil, completely agree -- Pitino has faced a lot of adversity with injuries and other stuff. But my concern is that we need to get to the point where we have enough B1G-caliber depth to weather those kind of storms. There's no excuse for how this team bottomed out last year, in Pitino's FIFTH season here. I mean, the games weren't even competitive; they were getting run out of the gym night after night, even with All-B1G guys like Murphy and Mason still healthy. How'd that happen? In my mind, huge recruiting misses and lack of player development, and a serious question about Pitino's ability to motivate and lead.

Young and Johnson have been huge on the recruiting front. But I don't know about the coaching. I think Jeter is an upgrade, and I hope Pitino finds another one. We're all pulling in the same direction here.
Post #: 5820
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/12/2018 10:49:05 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm very concerned.

Phil, completely agree -- Pitino has faced a lot of adversity with injuries and other stuff. But my concern is that we need to get to the point where we have enough B1G-caliber depth to weather those kind of storms. There's no excuse for how this team bottomed out last year, in Pitino's FIFTH season here. I mean, the games weren't even competitive; they were getting run out of the gym night after night, even with All-B1G guys like Murphy and Mason still healthy. How'd that happen? In my mind, huge recruiting misses and lack of player development, and a serious question about Pitino's ability to motivate and lead.

Young and Johnson have been huge on the recruiting front. But I don't know about the coaching. I think Jeter is an upgrade, and I hope Pitino finds another one. We're all pulling in the same direction here.

2-3
are HUGE with me. To be running with a small bench? Inexcusable.
And it's very rare to have seen any of them get any better.

The immaturity is pretty pathetic.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5821
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/12/2018 10:51:51 AM   
SoMnFan

Had no idea about the assistant maltreatment.
Speaking as a longtime assistant ... young Mr Pitino would get a private come-to-jeeeeezus meeting after any of that crap.
As was said ... tells you what kind of a man he is.
Post #: 5822
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/12/2018 11:05:30 AM   
Pete M.

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Speaking as a longtime assistant ... young Mr Pitino would get a private come-to-jeeeeezus meeting after any of that crap.

Last game I went to, he was keeping a running tally of how many points the other team scored on a particular action, and then turning and yelling it to the assistant in charge of the scouting report (I think it was Young). "TWO!!!!" Later, "FOUR!!!!" It eventually got up to 10 or 12. The Hurt dad was commenting on how ridiculous and obnoxious it was, too. (A great sign for RP nabbing the best in-state recruit MN has produced in the last decade, huh? Yeah, don't get your hopes up.)

He also makes snide comments about his players loud enough for the fans behind the bench to hear. Some of them are pretty funny, but you just don't see that kind of stuff from the great ones.
Post #: 5823
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/12/2018 1:44:48 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Last game I went to, he was keeping a running tally of how many points the other team scored on a particular action, and then turning and yelling it to the assistant in charge of the scouting report (I think it was Young). "TWO!!!!" Later, "FOUR!!!!" It eventually got up to 10 or 12. The Hurt dad was commenting on how ridiculous and obnoxious it was, too. (A great sign for RP nabbing the best in-state recruit MN has produced in the last decade, huh? Yeah, don't get your hopes up.)

He also makes snide comments about his players loud enough for the fans behind the bench to hear. Some of them are pretty funny, but you just don't see that kind of stuff from the great ones.

Still a pretty young coach that has some learning to do. How you react when you are losing/struggling indicates a lot about a coach....he seemed to take it in stride 2 years ago and things seemed to change last year....this year the coaching was horrible.

I have seen our backup center (Konate) look like he didn't touch a basketball at all the last two offseasons and make plays like he hadn't played enough organized basketball and by the last couple games he looked pretty good each of the last two years. I can't put my finger on that one. Tough thing in college is kids don't have to leave once you give them a scholarship and were misreads.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/12/2018 2:00:44 PM >

Post #: 5824
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/12/2018 2:11:49 PM   
David Levine

quote:

I've always thought Young was here more for his East Coast recruiting than what he does as a bench coach. While losing that hurts, I believe Jeter has a pretty stellar recruiting rep in the MidWest.
Post #: 5825
Page:   <<   < prev  231 232 [233] 234 235   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  231 232 [233] 234 235   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode