Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  232 233 [234] 235 236   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/12/2018 2:18:17 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pete M.

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Had no idea about the assistant maltreatment.
Speaking as a longtime assistant ... young Mr Pitino would get a private come-to-jeeeeezus meeting after any of that crap.
As was said ... tells you what kind of a man he is.

Last game I went to, he was keeping a running tally of how many points the other team scored on a particular action, and then turning and yelling it to the assistant in charge of the scouting report (I think it was Young). "TWO!!!!" Later, "FOUR!!!!" It eventually got up to 10 or 12. The Hurt dad was commenting on how ridiculous and obnoxious it was, too. (A great sign for RP nabbing the best in-state recruit MN has produced in the last decade, huh? Yeah, don't get your hopes up.)

He also makes snide comments about his players loud enough for the fans behind the bench to hear. Some of them are pretty funny, but you just don't see that kind of stuff from the great ones.

Still a pretty young coach that has some learning to do. How you react when you are losing/struggling indicates a lot about a coach....he seemed to take it in stride 2 years ago and things seemed to change last year....this year the coaching was horrible.

I have seen our backup center (Konate) look like he didn't touch a basketball at all the last two offseasons and make plays like he hadn't played enough organized basketball and by the last couple games he looked pretty good each of the last two years. I can't put my finger on that one. Tough thing in college is kids don't have to leave once you give them a scholarship and were misreads.

Young guy or not, he has the sharp tongue like his father, and am sure he was hammered on like this.
No way is he changing this. Am sure it's been his MO since starting.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5826
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/12/2018 2:25:13 PM   
SoMnFan

Obviously hasn't been taken to the woodshed enough.
He's not physically imposing enough to talk shit to grown men.
Has been taught to think money and title allow for that.
He's wrong. Amazed it hasn't sorted itself out by now.
Post #: 5827
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/12/2018 2:36:58 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Jeter won't let him talk to him like that. Young was hard pressed for a job when Pitino brought him to Florida Atlantic and the U of MN (I think he has a serious Marijuana distribution felony on his record), probably close to the same for Johnson minus the legal troubles in the past. Pitino needs Jeter.

Pitino will learn quickly....verbally abusing employees is not something you want in the HR folder.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/12/2018 3:32:11 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 5828
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/12/2018 2:43:38 PM   
Pete M.

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pete M.

Young and Johnson have been huge on the recruiting front. But I don't know about the coaching. I think Jeter is an upgrade, and I hope Pitino finds another one. We're all pulling in the same direction here.

I've always thought Young was here more for his East Coast recruiting than what he does as a bench coach. While losing that hurts, I believe Jeter has a pretty stellar recruiting rep in the MidWest.

Agreed on both fronts. Does Minnesota really want to live off East Coast recruits trying to fit into a B1G style? The results have been pretty uneven. I'll take Jeter's Midwest (especially Wisconsin) connections and coaching resume -- especially if we pick up a guy to replace Ben with deep connections in Minnesota.
Post #: 5829
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/12/2018 2:47:47 PM   
Pete M.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Jeter won't let him talk to him like that. Young was hard pressed for a job when Pitino brought him to Florida Atlantic and the U of MN (I think he has a serious Marijuana distribution felony on his record), probably close to the same for Johnson. Pitino needs Jeter.

Pitino will learn quickly....verbally abusing employees is not something you want in the HR folder.

And who knows. Maybe he's fantastic to them behind closed doors and they put up with a little public shaming (I wouldn't call it verbal abuse) at the games. But it's a poor reflection on him and most importantly on the program.
Post #: 5830
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 5/17/2018 1:25:33 PM   
Phil Riewer

STrib: Grad transfer Brock Stull could be the missing piece for the Gophers

Brock Stull had a lot of options to play at the Power Five level for his senior year, but he chose to follow the path of a former teammate from Wisconsin-Milwaukee to Minnesota.

Stull's commitment Tuesday to play for the Gophers could be the missing piece for helping them bounce back from a 15-17 season. Two seasons ago, former UW-Milwaukee guard Akeem Springs' impact in one season with the Gophers led to the first NCAA tournament under Richard Pitino.

Stull, a 6-foot-4, 195-pound guard, averaged 13.4 points, 4.8 rebounds, 3.1 assists and shot 37.9 percent from three-point range for the Panthers as a junior last season. As a graduate transfer like Springs, Stull can play immediately but has only one year to make his presence felt.

Stull said getting to play in the Big Ten was “very special” for him having grown up in Illinois.

The Rockford, Ill. native made his decision while visiting the U campus Tuesday. Stull, who received interest from Xavier, Virginia, North Carolina State and Butler, gets to play again for his former Milwaukee coach Rob Jeter, one of Minnesota's new assistants.

“Being a Midwest kid, it’s all you want to do and for a really good team,” Stull told the Star Tribune about being in the Big Ten. “(It was) nice to get to spend time with those guys and get reunited with Jeter.”

http://www.startribune.com/grad-tran...ers/482741821/

Go Gophers!!

Post #: 5831
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 8/7/2018 4:30:04 PM   
Mr. Ed

The Barn gets major changes in its "floor" and the media row is gone

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2018/8/7/17659254/minnesota-basketball-check-out-williams-arenas-new-court-the-barn-gophers

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5832
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 8/7/2018 7:07:48 PM   
Mr. Ed

Darren Wolfson

Had a chance to see the new Barn floor, and count me as a fan. Has a barn wood feel. First change to the court since the 1960s, per a #Gophers official. Video on @KSTP at 6:50 and 10:20.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5833
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 8/8/2018 7:44:25 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Darren Wolfson

Had a chance to see the new Barn floor, and count me as a fan. Has a barn wood feel. First change to the court since the 1960s, per a #Gophers official. Video on @KSTP at 6:50 and 10:20.

That's amazing
Holy Iconic, Batman
1960 ....
Post #: 5834
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 8/8/2018 8:18:48 AM   
Lynn G.

So Doogie says it's the first change to the court since the 1960's but the article has a picture from 1973 in which the court looked completely different. Hmmm.

At a first glance when I saw the article on Strib online, I thought it was an ice rink. It wasn't until I clicked on the story and got the bigger picture (see what I did there?) that I realized it was Williams Arena. Looks pretty cool I'd say. I'm more interested in what the players think. Does a lighter court affect their play? In some ways I think it could, just based on lighting and placement of graphics, etc.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 5835
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 8/8/2018 9:06:15 AM   
bstinger

Gotta say I like the darker one.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 5836
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 8/8/2018 11:57:01 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

Gotta say I like the darker one.

Me too

and a better brand of basketball as well, please.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5837
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 8/8/2018 12:04:34 PM   
TJSweens

The new one is better and anyone who doesn't agree with me is stupid.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 5838
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 8/8/2018 4:14:20 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

So Doogie says it's the first change to the court since the 1960's but the article has a picture from 1973 in which the court looked completely different. Hmmm.

At a first glance when I saw the article on Strib online, I thought it was an ice rink. It wasn't until I clicked on the story and got the bigger picture (see what I did there?) that I realized it was Williams Arena. Looks pretty cool I'd say. I'm more interested in what the players think. Does a lighter court affect their play? In some ways I think it could, just based on lighting and placement of graphics, etc.

My concern is the loss of the maroon sidelines. My guess is they were a visual cue to players getting close to the edge.

I wonder if we'll see more players "leave the court"?
Post #: 5839
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 8/17/2018 8:51:39 AM   
twinsfan

I heard Arnie Carlson's assessment of the upcoming season. He thinks we'll be a special team if Washington is a competent point guard. He loves our frontcourt players and would put them up against any team in the nation.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 5840
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 8/18/2018 8:54:28 AM   
Bill Jandro

Who is going to be our C?

Lynch will be hard to replace

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 5841
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 8/19/2018 12:15:58 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

No C is needed in college basketball today.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 5842
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 8/19/2018 9:02:13 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

Nice to have a good rim protector though.

We're not (or haven't been) a very good shooting team. Lynch balanced the scales by protecting the paint to keep the opponents score down.

I just don't see us winning many games trying to outscore the opponent

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 5843
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 8/19/2018 1:21:01 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

Nice to have a good rim protector though.

We're not (or haven't been) a very good shooting team. Lynch balanced the scales by protecting the paint to keep the opponents score down.

I just don't see us winning many games trying to outscore the opponent

Otero and Curry both can play center...I also read that Matz Stockman is back?

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 8/19/2018 9:12:24 PM >

Post #: 5844
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 8/28/2018 10:59:46 AM   
Mr. Ed

Brock Stull remembers when Wisconsin-Milwaukee upset the Gophers and Badgers on the road his freshman year in 2015.

Stull got a taste of Big Ten atmosphere, but to play nightly in that environment at Minnesota this season will be like living a dream for the Illinois native.

“The Barn is historic,” the graduate transfer said. “When you think of arenas in the Big Ten, it’s kind of the first one that pops into your head. So I’m excited for it.”

Stull, a senior guard from Rockford, Ill., spent the last few months back home finishing summer classes to graduate with a degree in criminal justice. UW-Milwaukee’s assist leader last season is enrolled in the fall semester at the U. He’s expecting to join Minnesota's team this week.

“I feel pretty comfortable with my ability,” Stull said. “I know it’s going to take a little time getting adjusted to playing with new players and chemistry there. But I’m going in with everything just to prove I belong there.”

Gophers coach Richard Pitino has high hopes for what Stull will bring to the team this season.

“It was extremely important to add Brock Stull,” Pitino said this offseason. “He’s going to come in and play right away and make an impact. We needed to add some versatility.”

The 6-foot-4, 195-pound Stull has the potential to immediately impact the Gophers with his outside shooting, versatility, toughness and leadership. His role could be very similar to what Akeem Springs brought as a grad transfer from Illinois and UW-Milwaukee on the U’s NCAA tournament team in 2017.

“Brock’s a guy who played at Milwaukee and really performed well the last couple years,” Pitino said. “Hopefully, Brock can bring that veteran leadership.”

When Stull announced his decision to transfer, he heard from schools like Xavier, LSU, North Carolina State, Creighton and Butler. Playing for a team that gets to the NCAA tournament in his final college season was definitely a major factor. He believes Minnesota has a shot, but the U campus and facilities sold him on the program as well.

“In Milwaukee, we didn’t have the opportunity to have a 24-hour gym,” he said. “In fact, there were times when intramurals and stuff would have the court over us. So just having a 24-hour gym, plus with the facilities they added and built on that stuff is pretty crazy. It was pretty appealing to me.”

Stull’s name might be familiar to some Gophers football fans recalling the high school career of former U quarterback Demry Croft, who transferred to Tennessee State. At Boylan Catholic High School, Croft got his first shot as the starting signal caller when injuries led to Stull moving to wide receiver his senior year.

As a high school basketball recruit, Stull was a two-star prospect with no Power Five offers. Former Milwaukee coach and current Gophers assistant Rob Jeter signed Stull and coached him for two years with the Panthers, including a redshirt year in 2014-15.

"Definitely made it feel like home," Stull said about Jeter in Minnesota. "He could tell me things to make me comfortable. Little icing on the cake right there."

As a sophomore in Milwaukee under LaVall Jordan, Stull emerged to lead the Panthers in scoring (13.6) and rebounding (6.5), while shooting 39.9 percent from three-point range and 80.6 percent from the foul line in 2016-17. He led Milwaukee in assists (3.1) and ranked second on the team in scoring (13.4 points) last season. Jordan left the Panthers to coach Butler in 2017, so Stull had his third coach last season with Patrick Baldwin.

Stull will join the Gophers having missed summer practices and workouts. Springs went through the same process and told his former teammate what to expect playing for Pitino.

“I hope I can make an impact like he did,” Stull said. “I want to help the team win and get to the point I feel like we should make (the NCAA tournament).”

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5845
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/10/2018 5:48:29 PM   
Mr. Ed

Gopher Basketball got an unexpected and much needed commitment from one of the top 100 players in the country on Monday afternoon. Tray Jackson, a 4-star power forward has become the first member of the 2019 recruiting class.

What do we Know
HT: 6’8”
WT: 200
High School: Sunrise Christian Academy
Offers: Oklahoma, Seton Hall, Boston College
247 Rank: 94th overall, 20th PF

What should jump out at you is that Jackson comes to the Gophers out of Sunrise Christian. Why is that important? Because new assistant coach, Kyle Lindsted came to the Gopher staff from Sunrise.

Jackson spent his summer playing for Mean Streets out of Illinois in the Nike EYBL circuit. Over the summer he played in 21 games averaging 13.3 points and 5 rebounds per game. You can find his game by game stats for the summer HERE.

What this means for the Gophers
Well, recruiting was VERY slow for the Minnesota staff so far. Likely due to staff turnover putting the team a little behind the curve for this cycle. But this commitment is huge and one that will hopefully jump start the rest of recruiting for the 2019 class.

The team still has 3 scholarships to give out in this class. I would imagine that SF and guard are the highest priorities after the addition of Jackson. The future of the Gopher frontcourt looks good.

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2018/9/10/17843064/minnesota-gopher-basketball-gets-verbal-commitment-from-top-100-recruit-tray-jackson-richard-pitino

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5846
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/10/2018 6:47:16 PM   
TJSweens

Wow! That's a huge commitment for Pitino.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 5847
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/11/2018 11:53:50 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Jackson spent his summer playing for Mean Streets out of Illinois in the Nike EYBL circuit. Over the summer he played in 21 games averaging 13.3 points and 5 rebounds per game. You can find his game by game stats for the summer HERE.

Kid can shoot the ball too. Hit 39% of his 3s on 31 attempts over 16 games in the Nike circuit.

His highlight video shows a pretty nice looking stroke.
Post #: 5848
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 10/11/2018 11:39:22 AM   
SoMnFan

BB media day for the B10
Nebraska getting love
Purdue getting love
Once again ... when it is Minnesota's turn to figure shit out?
We are just floundering around in neutral in damn-near everything we do in the major sports.
Post #: 5849
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 10/12/2018 10:58:05 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

The new one is better and anyone who doesn't agree with me is stupid.

If your statement is true than it's impossible for me to disagree with you. .

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5850
Page:   <<   < prev  232 233 [234] 235 236   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  232 233 [234] 235 236   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode