Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  270 271 [272] 273 274   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/23/2021 5:01:02 PM   
Lynn G.

This is one thing I don't like about athletes though - their egos. If he wanted to play for the Gophers, just sign up! Approach the coach and tell him you want to play for the Gophers.

Instead they wait to see how much coddling they're going to get. How much attention. How much begging. If that's the way they run the rest of their lives, they're going to be the kind of people that no one wants to hang with.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 6776
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/23/2021 6:13:32 PM  1 votes
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

This is one thing I don't like about athletes though - their egos. If he wanted to play for the Gophers, just sign up! Approach the coach and tell him you want to play for the Gophers.

Instead they wait to see how much coddling they're going to get. How much attention. How much begging. If that's the way they run the rest of their lives, they're going to be the kind of people that no one wants to hang with.

That feels like sour grapes to me.

We didn't recruit him. That's the story.

When you have other programs make you a priority, why should you chase after one that doesn't?
Post #: 6777
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/15/2021 8:08:43 AM   
Phil Riewer

The gophers take the Asheville tourney down....Well Coached team.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 6778
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/15/2021 11:44:25 AM   
David Levine

Really happy for the kids. They got some wins, a little TV exposure and a trophy. It's a feel good start.

But man, this team is going to struggle to win any B1G games. They really lack depth and ballhandling/playmaking. Yesterday's game should not have been close, but way too many turnovers and an inability to hit FTs killed us in the 2nd half.

We do appear to have some kids that can score, but I'm not sure we'll be able to handle any kind of pressure.
Post #: 6779
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/16/2021 8:45:59 AM   
Phil Riewer

So KC Missouri beat Missouri.

Post #: 6780
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/1/2021 9:41:52 AM   
Phil Riewer

Ugly Win against Pitt; what is going on.

Post #: 6781
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/1/2021 11:08:56 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

They're not talented or deep, but to Johnson's credit, they're playing really hard on both ends, work well as a team and seem to be able to hold their composure well.

That said, size is going to destroy us. We couldn't handle John Hugley at all. Mississippi State is going to be a real challenge as they have 3 guys in that mold.
Post #: 6782
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/1/2021 11:29:58 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

They're not talented or deep, but to Johnson's credit, they're playing really hard on both ends, work well as a team and seem to be able to hold their composure well.

That said, size is going to destroy us. We couldn't handle John Hugley at all. Mississippi State is going to be a real challenge as they have 3 guys in that mold.

I read Hugley is only 6'9" & Daniels/Curry couldn't stop him.

Post #: 6783
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/1/2021 11:42:13 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

6'9 is pretty standard "big height" for college.

But its not height they struggle with so much as strength/mass.

The B1G is going to likely be a bloodbath.
Post #: 6784
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/1/2021 11:57:13 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

6'9 is pretty standard "big height" for college.

But its not height they struggle with so much as strength/mass.

The B1G is going to likely be a bloodbath.

For sure...but to be 6-0 at this point is actually amazing. Haven't had a coach that manages game situations like Johnson and Thorson in a long time.

Amazing that they kept Pitt in the 50s and the part of game I was able to watch---they switched defenses effectively (something Man to Man Pitino would never do).

Post #: 6785
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/1/2021 1:20:44 PM   
Karl Juhnke

The Pitt game was my first extended viewing of this squad. Impression? Not bad. It’s going to be an uphill battle this year for sure but they play hard and nothing seems to discourage them. They keep plugging away. This game was pretty much like a simulated Big 10 game, albeit a game between Big 10 bottom feeders. I’ll take a one point win just because they didn’t lose poise in the stretch.

They’ll steal a few ugly wins along the way. But I’m not expecting much more. They will be overmatched on most nights.
Post #: 6786
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/1/2021 2:31:37 PM   
Phil Riewer

Interesting Tidbit on Luke Loewe:

Marcus R. Fuller
@Marcus_R_Fuller
·
37m
Last night's hero, senior guard Luke Loewe transfered to play for
@GopherMBB
in part for the fishing opportunities in Minnesota. Here's his You Tube channel Bass and Buckets https://youtube.com/channel/UC5t6aT1PVhUhBsczPgeleUA
Quote Tweet
Star Tribune Sports
@StribSports
· 1h
Nothing but nets, really:

Maybe you missed this story last month. @lukeloewe23, who scored the game-winning basket for the #Gophers vs. Pitt last night, has an interest in turning pro in a different sport. @Marcus_R_Fuller writes: http://strib.mn/3G6JnuS #B1G

Post #: 6787
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/5/2021 6:36:48 PM   
TJSweens

Ben Johnson's Gophers are 7-0 after upsetting Mississippi State.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6788
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/5/2021 8:43:27 PM   
Karl Juhnke

A good win. I didn't watch any of it, (Though as it turns out I should have watched it instead of...you know). But the box score is a peculiar one. The Gophers had a TOTAL of 14 bench minutes. Two starters had 38 minutes, one had 39, and one, Battle played the entire game.

Are they that short on depth?
Post #: 6789
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/6/2021 6:50:01 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

A good win. I didn't watch any of it, (Though as it turns out I should have watched it instead of...you know). But the box score is a peculiar one. The Gophers had a TOTAL of 14 bench minutes. Two starters had 38 minutes, one had 39, and one, Battle played the entire game.

Are they that short on depth?

They have a very short bench right now. There are some not ready for prime-time players.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6790
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/9/2021 1:57:24 PM   
David Levine

They weren't quite ready for Big 10 play, but an admirable game yesterday. We got killed on the glass, and our shots weren't falling, but we only had 3 turnovers against a tough defense and a strong 2nd half turned what was looking to be a blowout into a real game.

They really have no business being as competitive as they have been with the talent they have. I was not excited about Johnson being named coach, but he may be exactly what the program needs. He's super composed during games and the kids appear to feed off of that.

If he can recruit at all, we may have something in another year or two.
Post #: 6791
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/9/2021 2:44:06 PM  1 votes
twinsfan

quote:

They weren't quite ready for Big 10 play, but an admirable game yesterday. We got killed on the glass, and our shots weren't falling, but we only had 3 turnovers against a tough defense and a strong 2nd half turned what was looking to be a blowout into a real game.

They really have no business being as competitive as they have been with the talent they have. I was not excited about Johnson being named coach, but he may be exactly what the program needs. He's super composed during games and the kids appear to feed off of that.

I do miss Richard P going ballistic on the sidelines. I also miss Monster Mash.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 6792
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/9/2021 3:06:05 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

I'm not surprised you needed something to latch onto. Have you ever even seen the Gophers when they were actually good?
Post #: 6793
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/9/2021 3:28:14 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm not surprised you needed something to latch onto. Have you ever even seen the Gophers when they were actually good?

The Willie Burton Years. The Bobby Jackson/Sam Jacobson Years. The Quincy Lewis Years. The Lawrence Westbrook Years. The Amir Coffey/Jordan Murphy Years.

Jamal Mashburn is having an outstanding season under Richard Pitino with the New Mexico Lobos. You would have to be intentionally ignoring it to miss it.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 6794
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/10/2021 5:02:25 PM   
Mister Ed

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Willie Burton Years. The Bobby Jackson/Sam Jacobson Years. The Quincy Lewis Years. The Lawrence Westbrook Years. The Amir Coffey/Jordan Murphy Years.

Jamal Mashburn is having an outstanding season under Richard Pitino with the New Mexico Lobos. You would have to be intentionally ignoring it to miss it.

LOL

You would have to be obsessed with Richard Pitino to notice a 5-4 record with a schedule against a bunch of nobodies.

What was old is new again
Post #: 6795
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/11/2021 1:00:53 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

What does that even mean, "needed something to latch onto?"

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 6796
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/11/2021 7:34:04 PM   
Jeff Jesser

10 point win on the road? Wow, didn’t expect that.
Post #: 6797
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/13/2021 6:39:30 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

10 point win on the road? Wow, didn’t expect that.

Sutherlin and Loewe first half and Battle and Willis finished them them in the 2nd half....Curry played really well all game also inside. We haven't had a team in a long time that commits no turnovers or fouls. Michigan didn't have 1 and 1 until very late in the 2nd half....

Post #: 6798
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/13/2021 10:16:20 AM   
David Levine

It is the first win at Michigan for the Gophers since January 2011.

75 points. 2 assists!

4 Turnovers. 0 fast break points for Michigan.

Three road wins against P5 opponents.
Post #: 6799
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/13/2021 1:11:20 PM   
Mister Ed

Lobos 6-5 after loss to UTEP

Mashburn 1-12

What was old is new again
Post #: 6800
Page:   <<   < prev  270 271 [272] 273 274   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  270 271 [272] 273 274   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode