Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: RE:Gopher Hockey

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: RE:Gopher Hockey Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 6/11/2008 11:44:01 AM   
Lynn G.

And I mean one that is actually read.   Not some e-mail address that goes to some mailroom kid.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 176
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 6/11/2008 11:56:19 AM   
Jim Frenette

Not that I know of. I know you can contact Outside the lines and PTI by typing in @ESPN. com

Fargo
Post #: 177
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 6/13/2008 11:26:38 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Just a guess but:

lebron4eva@espn.com
koberulz@espn.com
tigerwoodsisGod@espn.com
alldaypoker@espn.com

Any one of these will probably get you the CEO.
Post #: 178
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 6/13/2008 11:34:53 AM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Just a guess but:

lebron4eva@espn.com
koberulz@espn.com
tigerwoodsisGod@espn.com
alldaypoker@espn.com

Any one of these will probably get you the CEO.

They also love Terrell Owens

Fargo
Post #: 179
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 6/16/2008 10:20:13 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Former Gophers hockey player Blake Wheeler, who opted to become a free agent this spring rather than sign with the Phoenix Coyotes, has agreed to a deal with the Boston Bruins.
Wheeler can't officially sign until July 1, but his agent, Matt Keator, said the two sides have agreed on a two-year contract.
"We talk to different teams," Keator said, "but in the end Blake's heart was in Boston. They've done a good job of developing some young players, including Milan Lucic, David Krejci and Mark Stuart, another Minnesota guy [Rochester]."
Another former Gopher, Phil Kessel, has played the past two seasons with the Bruins after being their first-round pick in the 2006 draft. Keator said Wheeler realizes it could take some time for him to develop into an NHL-caliber winger. Wheeler (6-4, 215) primarily played center for the Gophers.
"Blake has some work ahead of him to learn how to play a big-man's game," Keator said. "[Gophers coach] Don Lucia would be the first to tell you Blake played out of position with the Gophers.
"He will be going from being a center on an Olympic-sized sheet to playing the wing on a [smaller] NHL rink. If he needs to spend some time in the AHL [at Providence] first, Blake is ready to do what he needs to do."
Wheeler, who played high school hockey at Breck, was taken fifth overall by Phoenix in the 2004 draft. He elected to turn pro following his junior season and decided to pick the team he would sign with rather than accept an offer from the Coyotes.
Wheeler scored 42 career goals for the Gophers.

Good luck Mr Wheeler.
Had some great moments in the Gopher uni.
Post #: 180
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 6/17/2008 8:31:58 AM   
Jeff Jesser

I hope he does really well but I had some mountainous hopes for that kid when he signed up at the U 
Post #: 181
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 8/27/2008 9:58:03 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Some good news.

U hockey: Stoa given an extra season
Posted on August 27th, 2008 – 6:05 PM
By Roman Augustoviz

Ryan Stoa, the 6-3, 217-pound left wing who missed most of last season because of a knee injury, was given a medical redshirt over the summer.
That means he will still be listed as a junior on the roster and can play two more seasons — if he wants. How well he plays will probably determine how hard the Colorado Avalache will try to sign him. The Avs took him in the second round of the 2005 NHL draft; he was the 34th pick overall.
He has been named the team’s captain for this coming season. He was injured in the Gophers’ second game last season and did not rejoin the team’s practices until late in the season.

Coach Don Lucia, in a KFAN interview on Tuesday, said Stoa was given medical clearance to play in the NCAA tournament against Boston College but the risk of re-injury outweighed the benefits of Stoa’s return.
As a sophomore, Stoa had 12 goals and 12 assists for 24 points and started his junior season on the Gophers’ top line.
Stoa started his high school career at Bloomington Kennedy before playing two seasons with the national development team in Ann Arbor, then signed with the ‘U’.
Here are other highlights from Lucia’s radio interview:
* He turned 50 last week. Happy Birthday, Don.
* Lucia on the Gophers’ problems beating WCHA champion Colorado College and Final Five champion Denver: “We did not match up well with them at all.”
* Lucia said sophomore goalie Alex Kangas, who was sensational at times the second half of last season, will probably play in most of the games this season. “We were not able to score enough goals to win until Alex took over in goal,” Lucia said.
* Lucia on why scoring was down in the WHCA: “Everybody seems to have a good goalie no matter who you play.” … Goalies are better, he said, because goalie coaching   and the scouting is better. But the two-referee system, which will be used this season, could open up the game in college hockey. Games will be called tighter.
* Among the returning players Lucia expects to be much improved are junior defenseman Dave Fischer — “he is around 200 pounds with weight room training” — junior forward Jay Barriball — he slumped badly last season after leading the Gophers in scoring as a freshman — junior forward Mike Carman — he was academically ineligible the first half of last season — and sophomore forwards Patrick White an Mike Hoeffel. “We will be very well-balanced. There will not be a lot of difference between our first and third lines.”
* Lucia expects a better regular season and a more smoother season. “Stoa will be a good captain. I hope this year will be a lot like 2005. … We are fired up for the season.
Informal team practices start Sept. 15, formal practices on Saturday, Oct. 4. The Gophes have an exhibition game on Oct. 10 against the University of British Columbia at Mariucci and then go right into WCHA play. They play St. Cloud State in a home-and-home series on Oct. 17-18.
Post #: 182
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 9/19/2008 12:23:35 PM   
Stacey King

Interesting stuff on some future Gopher players and another Minny kid regarding their draft prospects over at Dobberhockey.com

Zach Budish, C
Edina High School (USHS)

Height/Weight:
6'4, 225 lbs
2007-08 Statline:
27 GP, 26-37-63,

Summary:
It's a conflict that's confounded some of the best professional athletes in North America: what sport do I play? Gone are the days of Lionel Conacher's three-sport domination; the demands placed upon athletes at the highest level make it impossible for today's stars to play more than one.
In the summer draft preview, we told you about Edina High School star Anders Lee, who needed to make the choice between D1 football or D1 hockey. Still undecided, it's looking as though Lee may choose football. But given the chance, any D1 program would rather have teammate Zach Budish. A standout linebacker for his school's football squad, the 6'4 specimen has likely played his last year of elite football. Team USA's lone threat during the Ivan Hlinka Tournament in the summer, Budish's heart is firmly entrenched in hockey. Not the greatest skater due to his size and mass, Budish is nevertheless a threat down low due to his immovable frame.

Future:
Comparison-wise, Budish plays the game like a grittier, more driven Blake Wheeler.
Like Wheeler, Budish will suit for the Gophers for his college career. However, unlike the former fifth overall pick, it's difficult to imagine Budish being taken before the tenth selection. A team will nevertheless get a feared and skilled power winger with the ability to change the face of their attack.

Jordan Schroeder, RW
USNTDP U18

Height/Weight:
5'8, 171 lbs
2007-08 Statline:
55 GP, 22-31-53, 16 PIM

What We Said Then: "
A deft playmaker with elusive skating and hands, there are a great deal of parallels between the '90 born forward and another American offensive dynamo- Patrick Kane. And while Schroeder has more than enough top-end ability to be a better player than Kane by 2009, he may not even go top three."- Underage Action Pt. 2, April 2007

Summary:
Better than a Calder Trophy-winning winger who played on the top line and scored 72 points? Okay, to clarify, we meant a better prospect in their respective draft year. But that would make Schroeder a #1 pick. Even if you remove generational talents likeHedman and Tavares, Schroeder still probably doesn't go first overall. And at the same age, Kane had a record 102 points in 58 games for the NTDP- almost double as many Schroeder. While 2007-08 version of the NTDP was much, much weaker than 2005-06, and despite the fact Schroeder lead his team in scoring just as Kane did, it's fair to say the aforementioned projection was a little off.

But Schroeder is still a golden prospect. Style-wise, he is indeed very much like Kane- an explosive, unstoppable skater, a fantasticpuckhandler, and the owner of truly awesome vision. And Schroeder has proven that when given premiere linemates , he can produce like a top-three pick. Playing a stacked U18 World Championships team, the 16 year-old finished with the third-most points among forwards on the Bronze-medalwinners. And at the summer USA WJC evaluation camp, Schroeder had four points to put him right up with draft picks like James van Riemsdyk, Mitch Wahl and Aaron Palushaj.

Future: Schroeder will be a freshman for the Gophers in 2008-09, but his name is already being pencilled in on the top line due to a dearth of scoring talent. With a resume of playing his best when playing with similarly-skilled players, look for thediminutive winger to have a big year in the NCAA. 30+ points aren't out of the realm of possibility, and with that will come a top-ten selection. A gut-based prediction says 7-26-33.

Seth Helgeson, D
Sioux City (USHL)

Height/Weight:
6'4, 220 lbs
2007-08 Statline:
58 GP, 3-8-11, -4, 41 PIM

Summary:
Way, way, way on the other end of the spectrum is Seth Helgeson. The last three years have spoiled fans: each Draft has seen a highly-touted shutdown rearguard considered the next this or that. 2009's is Seth Helgeson. At 6'4, 220, Helgeson has a body most NHL players would kill for. However, unlike other big men, Helgeson has a ton of skill- the night he learned the Gophers had signed him, he scored five goals. An above-average skater and great passer, Helgeson stands out thanks to his IQ; the monster blueliner is sublime at times in making the right play.

Future: No player has the tools to rocket up the draft rankings like Helgeson. An Erik Johnson-esque defender, Helgeson is headed to the same school. However, while EJ's draft year accomplishments are pretty high- 24 points in the NCAA and the first overall pick- it wouldn't be crazy to suggest Helgeson has top-twelve pick potential.

Mike Lee, G
Roseau High School (USHS)

Height/Weight:
6'0, 175 lbs
2007-08 Statline:
27-2-0, 1.10 GAA, 0.936 Sv%

Summary:
The usual proving ground for a prospect is the regular season. But for Mike Lee, scouts will have a close eye on how he performs in the 2008-09 post-season. Considered a phenom never seen in high school hockey, Lee had lost just one game during the entire 2007-08 season and was two wins away from leading the Roseau Rams to a Minnesota high school championship. But such dreams came crashing down New England Patriots style in a stunning 4-1 loss to the afterthought Hill-Murray Pioneers during the semi-finals. While a goalie isn't always at fault in a loss, and while the entire Rams team played listless, Lee wasadequately to blame for the collapse.

Future: Despite a shot at redemption, Lee has chosen not to return to Roseau for his draft year. He has instead opted to join the Fargo Force of the USHL, a decision that might be a red flag for some scouts. The loser of less than five games during his entire high school career, most expect a solid or even great regular season from the highly talented goalie despite playing in a more difficult league. But how he responds in the playoffs will be the true test of Lee's mettle. If he can't rise to the occasion again- and really, there's no reason to think he can't- it could nevertheless hurt how NHL teams view him at the draft table. A gifted butterfly goalie with a great glove and quick legs, Lee's mind will no doubt be the most-tested feature of him during the Combine.

Post #: 183
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 9/19/2008 12:56:33 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

I'd bet the farm we get big returns from all 4 of those, and all in different ways.
Those 4 cover the board. I've seen a lot of all of them, from when they were 12 years-old and up.
Will be exciting to see them all in Gopher Sweaters.
Post #: 184
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 9/19/2008 1:10:33 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Are they "me" type of guys?  Serious question.  We can't afford anymore of those guys right now.
Post #: 185
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 9/19/2008 1:26:23 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Maybe the biggest reason I'm excited about them ...
Imo, none of them are.
That's just from what I 've seen on-ice.
Don't know them off-ice, but their games, to me, revolve around self-sacrifice and team-oriented goals.
While still being the best player on the ice.
That's not always easy to pull off, and I think all of them do.
Post #: 186
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 9/19/2008 1:39:37 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Whhheeeeww..  That's a sigh of relief.  I'm sick to the Tallockson, Chucko, Vanek, Wheeler, Okposo and Kessell's on this team.
Post #: 187
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 10/17/2008 11:23:44 AM   
Jeff Jesser

And so it begins 
Post #: 188
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 10/17/2008 11:25:13 AM   
Jeff Jesser

My wife is going to scream bloody murder soon. 

Tuesday - Wild
Wednesday - USA World Cup Qualifier
Thursday - Wild
Friday - Gopher Hockey
Saturday - Wild
Sunday - Vikes

Is there such thing as a divorce smiley?
Post #: 189
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 10/17/2008 11:29:26 AM   
So.Mn.Fan

Hockey Widow , thats what I have.
Hey, we could do worse things, eh?
Post #: 190
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 10/17/2008 11:39:26 AM   
So.Mn.Fan

Geeked about these two.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/31146679.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUnciaec8O7EyUsX

< Message edited by So.Mn.Fan -- 10/17/2008 11:40:28 AM >
Post #: 191
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 10/17/2008 11:41:28 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Yeah me too.  I've never seen either play.  That will end tonight..buuuaaahhahahahahaha
Post #: 192
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 10/17/2008 7:34:18 PM   
Matt Dahl

Weak goal allowed by Kangas.  Are we back to the typical Gophers' downfall?....shitty goaltending?

M
Post #: 193
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 10/17/2008 7:35:56 PM   
Matt Dahl

And now a fluke goal....jeesh.  Don't tell me we're gonna lose to SCSU.  I think the ref is gonna give SCSU this goal on replay. 

M
Post #: 194
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 10/17/2008 7:41:55 PM   
Matt Dahl

Terrible, terrible call by the refs.  He looked at the replay for like 5 minutes, and it's clearly a goal.  I'm convinced instant replay is a failure in every sport. 

But I'll take it this time.

M
Post #: 195
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 10/17/2008 7:44:50 PM   
Matt Dahl

What does it take to get a penalty shot? 

M
Post #: 196
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 10/17/2008 8:34:02 PM   
Matt Dahl

Welcome back Ryan Stoa!  Love that kid.  He's the captain for a reason.  Really says something that he missed almost all of last season and is still named captain by his teammates.  Mauer and Morneau could learn a few things from this kid.

M
Post #: 197
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 10/17/2008 8:40:19 PM   
Matt Dahl

Kangas is having an unbelievably lucky night.  He has not been sharp at all.  Probably another replay review here, but it's clear the puck hit the crossbar and then the post...no goal.

M
Post #: 198
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 10/17/2008 8:46:31 PM   
Matt Dahl

How it took 10 minutes to disallow that goal, I do not know.

M
Post #: 199
RE: RE:Gopher Hockey - 10/17/2008 9:08:17 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Yeap, 1st one was a goal.  2nd wasn't, all in all though....bad game so far by Kangas. 
Post #: 200
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: RE:Gopher Hockey Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode