Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: RE:Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: RE:Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/11/2008 10:11:28 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Frenette

Brad I think it is good as it rewards kids for working hard at both academics and football

I am going to start releasing my top-100 JUCO football players of all time in about a week.  There is 15 Hall of Famers on the list and I have been collecting some old photos the schools have sent me.  I may have the only copy of OJ at City College of San Francisco on the planet.  Gino Marchetti at Modesto.  Roger Staubach at New Mexico Military.  It is a great list of old and current players.

Lots of Vikings and x-Vikings on my list.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 226
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/11/2008 11:22:16 AM   
Jim Frenette

2009 recruiting getting off to a good start

GopherIllustrated.com reported that Bloomington Jefferson junior quarterback Moses Alipate verbally committed to play for the Gophers on Sunday. Alipate is rated as the No. 57 prospect in the country and is the top-ranked recruit in the state of Minnesota for 2009.

Fargo
Post #: 227
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/11/2008 11:26:25 AM   
Brad H

quote:

GopherIllustrated.com reported that Bloomington Jefferson junior quarterback Moses Alipate verbally committed to play for the Gophers on Sunday. Alipate is rated as the No. 57 prospect in the country and is the top-ranked recruit in the state of Minnesota for 2009.

Good get for the Gophs. 

Here is a little teaser for the top-100 list of JUCO players of all time.

http://www.jcgridiron.rivals.com/

Post #: 228
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/11/2008 11:52:15 AM   
Lynn G.

quote:

After all the reading I do in these threads I FINALLY have someone that I've actually seen play so I can make a comment.  Last year, Moses struggled quite a bit while playing both quarterback and kicker for my son's team.  He was hot and cold - scrambling out of the grasp on one play to make a nice throw, and on the next throwing some wacko wobbly duck.

But the kid has the best attitude and, based on his ranking, must have improved quite a bit in this recent season.  He's very versatile, playing both positions I mentioned above, and it seems to me he even got reps at WR occasionally when they'd put in another QB.  He was a great locker room kid, liked by everyone, and I can see his and Tim Brewster's personalities being a great fit.

I have to say that, based on what I saw last year I'm STUNNED at the line:

quote:

top-ranked recruit in the state of Minnesota for 2009.

but I'm glad to hear the kid has advanced so much.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 229
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/11/2008 11:59:52 AM   
Jim Frenette

Thanks for the personal comment. I guess his Jr year had to be much better then his Soph season, but for him to even play that position as a Soph tells us he has some talent

Lynn you'll have to email Scott and let him know. I would personally ike to hear his thoughts.

Fargo
Post #: 230
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/11/2008 12:25:08 PM   
Lynn G.

Jim,

I just shot off an e-mail to him and will let you know what he thinks.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 231
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/11/2008 2:10:10 PM   
TJSweens

Brewster is really building his recruiting momentum. In college football recruiting is the name of the game, which is why Brewster will ultimately be much more successful than Glen Mason. If Brewster can nail down the best recruiting class in the history of the U of M while going 1-11, I can't wait to see how he does when he starts winning.

Getting fired was probably the greatest thing that could have happened to Mase. I'm sure he knew full well how devoid of talent this team was going to be. By having the bottom fall out when Brewster stepped in it allowed Mason to say "well I won at Minnesota". Brewster took the heat for what was really the result of progressively worse recruiting classes under Mason.

Now a couple of top flight coordinators like Everett Withers and Mike Dunbar are going to get the kind of talent that coaches of their ability and stature deserve. That was the first thing that gave me hope that Brewster could do the job. Hiring these 2 was his first move and it was an impressive one at that.

On a related note, Rivals rated Brewster's defensive line coach Tim Cross as one the 10 best recruiters in the nation.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 232
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/11/2008 2:34:27 PM   
Mr. Ed

One of the best things that could happen to the U now is to have the kids that have joined this and last years, to have a winning season, have fun, and go back home and tell their coaches.

Word of mouth will be a valuable asset.

Still don't know why a kid like Floyd would go to Notre Dame. OSU would have been more logical. Great recruiting class or not, Weiss has not shown me much.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 233
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/11/2008 2:51:22 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed
Still don't know why a kid like Floyd would go to Notre Dame. OSU would have been more logical. Great recruiting class or not, Weiss has not shown me much.

There seems to be a real pipe line from Cretin Derham Hall to Notre Dame. I don't really know the reason. Maybe these kids are all good friends and just keep following each other. Hopefully Matt Caroufal leaving Notre Dame and enrolling at the U is the beginning of changing that. It would be nice to have that pipe line cut off before Seantrel Henderson decides where to go. He is already rated as that rare 5 star recruit.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 234
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/11/2008 6:43:58 PM   
djskillz

Isn't Cretin-Durham a Catholic school?  Or am I completely wrong there?

I agree; can't wait til they start winning.  And the new stadium will be HUGE!  I can't wait to go to a game there.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 235
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/11/2008 7:15:29 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

I agree; can't wait til they start winning.  And the new stadium will be HUGE!  I can't wait to go to a game there.

I went to the first five Rose Bowls when I first moved to SoCal.  After that I made a pledge to not go again until the Gophers were playing.  I just know when they finally win the Big 10 I will get screwed by some barbage BCS title game or something and they won't end up playing in the Rose Bowl.  I hate the BCS!

Post #: 236
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/11/2008 7:33:10 PM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

I went to the first five Rose Bowls when I first moved to SoCal.  After that I made a pledge to not go again until the Gophers were playing.  I just know when they finally win the Big 10 I will get screwed by some barbage BCS title game or something and they won't end up playing in the Rose Bowl.  I hate the BCS!

haha, yep.

Brad, quick question; did you have to explain to Sid what email/the internet were before you talked to him?

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 237
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/11/2008 8:34:36 PM   
Lynn G.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

Jim,

It seems I spoke too soon.  Scott's recollection was that the guy was very arrogant and no one on offense liked playing with him.  Boy, did I have that wrong.

Maybe being the small fish in a bigger (college) pond will reintroduce humility to the youngster.

Post #: 238
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/11/2008 9:19:06 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

As far as I am concerned the BCS has ruined the whole bowl game format. They cowtowed to those who bitch ceaselessly about having a true national champion and ruined the traditions in the process. Honest to God I loved it when the arguments would go on for a month after the bowls. That was part of the fun.

New Years day used to be a veritable orgy of bowl games. We used to have News Year's day parties with with tons of food and beverage and multiple TVs going and watch games all day long. Thanks to the BCS and corporate greed that simple pleasure is gone for ever.

Post #: 239
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/11/2008 9:22:04 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Jim,

It seems I spoke too soon.  Scott's recollection was that the guy was very arrogant and no one on offense liked playing with him.  Boy, did I have that wrong.

Or maybe it was just a product of being 16.

Post #: 240
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/12/2008 8:12:49 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

haha, yep.

Brad, quick question; did you have to explain to Sid what email/the internet were before you talked to him?

I shot off an e-mail to three or four guys over there.  I was kind of surprised to see it show up in Sid's column.  I figured the guy who is the Gophers beat writer may use it.

Post #: 241
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/12/2008 8:14:33 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

As far as I am concerned the BCS has ruined the whole bowl game format. They cowtowed to those who bitch ceaselessly about having a true national champion and ruined the traditions in the process. Honest to God I loved it when the arguments would go on for a month after the bowls. That was part of the fun.

New Years day used to be a veritable orgy of bowl games. We used to have News Year's day parties with with tons of food and beverage and multiple TVs going and watch games all day long. Thanks to the BCS and corporate greed that simple pleasure is gone for ever.

Interestingly, I don't recall many people bitching and complaining before.  Seemingly everybody was happy when it was just an AP title and nothing else.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 2/12/2008 12:27:06 PM >

Post #: 242
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/12/2008 8:58:33 AM   
Lynn G.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

haha, yep.

I shot off an e-mail to three or four guys over there.  I was kind of surprised to see it show up in Sid's column.  I figured the guy who is the Gophers beat writer may use it.

You used to ask "who is Brad Hoiseth" whenever his name came up.  Now you seem to be working for him.

Post #: 243
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/12/2008 9:31:53 AM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

quote:

Jim,

Maybe being the small fish in a bigger (college) pond will reintroduce humility to the youngster.

He was on TV last night and sounded grounded. He said he also wanted to play BB for Tuby.

During the interview, I found out his Dad used to play for the Vikings.

Fargo
Post #: 244
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/12/2008 9:36:49 AM   
Lynn G.

quote:

I never knew that!

In the interview, did it look like he could be 240 pounds as reported on another thread?  He was a tall, gangly type last year and it would be hard to picture him beefing up enough to get to 240.

Post #: 245
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/12/2008 10:05:45 AM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

quote:

I never knew that!

In the interview, did it look like he could be 240 pounds as reported on another thread?  He was a tall, gangly type last year and it would be hard to picture him beefing up enough to get to 240.

Just had a head shot

Fargo
Post #: 246
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/12/2008 12:27:39 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

haha, yep.

You used to ask "who is Brad Hoiseth" whenever his name came up.  Now you seem to be working for him.

We have a budding relationship.

Post #: 247
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/12/2008 1:03:40 PM   
Lynn G.

Maybe he can give you the link next year so you can see how he does in the picks pool.

Post #: 248
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/18/2008 9:14:50 AM   
Mr. Ed

Bah. Withers is likely leaving to be closer to home; d-coord at UNC for Butch Davis:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/15726812.html

Escape while you can!
Post #: 249
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/18/2008 9:33:34 AM   
TJSweens

Hopefully Brewster will get a high quality DC to replace him. Maturi has shown he will spend the money for Brewster to have high quality assistants.

Post #: 250
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: RE:Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode