Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: RE:Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: RE:Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/6/2008 1:12:12 PM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

Brewster's a stud.  Can't wait to see what this team is capable of in a couple years.

Hope my Michigan boys get Pryor today.  That would be huge to get Vince Young II for the option offense.

He was just on ESPN saying he wants to go and visit Oregon and Penn St as he hasn't given them the same time as he has Michigan and Ohio St

Fargo
Post #: 201
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/6/2008 1:59:34 PM   
TJSweens

Yeah, he was all but a lock to go to Ohio State and now it looks like Penn and Oregon could be the front runners.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 202
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/6/2008 2:31:43 PM   
Jim Frenette

I just checked Rivals.com and Minn is #17 and #3 in Big 10. On ESPN, they aren't in top 25 and not in top 5 of Big 10

Fargo
Post #: 203
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/6/2008 2:45:13 PM   
TJSweens

ESPN knows even less about college recruiting than they do about most other things. They are the only ones that have the Gophers outside of the top 20 nationally or outside the top 4 in the Big Ten.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 204
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/6/2008 2:47:17 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Amazing how tradition draws kids to Notre Dame. (What else can it be?)
That just seems like a place to stay away from, but they keep getting great classes in there.
It seems they are ALWAYS in the top 5 for as long as I can remember.
Sure hasn't translated into success lately.  
Golic's kid signed during the Mike & Mike show today, what a chip off the old block that kid is.
Daddy Mike and his 2 brothers went there, and there is a younger one who plans to sign there next year.
Post #: 205
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/6/2008 3:09:58 PM   
Jim Frenette

The presser is going on right now. I went to WCCO.com and there is a link to take you right to it

Fargo
Post #: 206
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/6/2008 3:34:32 PM   
Jim Frenette

A couple of interesting comments from Brewster. He said his #1 guy is Maresh for trusting him and his staff and staying here because he could go anywhere he wanted to. He expects him to lead the team out on to the field at the new TCF stadium in 09.

He also had to tell us that Nance out of CDH will play some QB, some WR, some defense and return some kicks & punts. He is going to really use his talents.

They also showed a virtual tour of the TCF Stadium. Wow that is going to be nice and a huge help in recruiting

< Message edited by Jim Frenette -- 2/6/2008 4:03:36 PM >

Fargo
Post #: 207
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/7/2008 9:31:49 AM   
DMueller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Frenette

I just checked Rivals.com and Minn is #17 and #3 in Big 10. On ESPN, they aren't in top 25 and not in top 5 of Big 10

Mike Farrel from rivals.com was just on ESPN radio's national show moments ago and mentioned the Gophers specifically. He compared this class to Ron Zook's class that made Illinois contenders!
Post #: 208
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/7/2008 9:50:24 AM   
So.Mn.Fan

http://www.startribune.com/video/15375881.html

I see now why they got so many to sign.
Who wouldn't want to play in that place?
Exciting day for Gopher football. Those are few and far between.
Brewster was lauded as one hell of a recruiter, so far, so good.
Any blue-chipper should be able to play on that defense immediately.
Glad to see Maresh getting the spotlight. Every team needs that local guy to build their character around.
I wish we could fast-forward ahead 4 years and see where we are.
Football signing day is still exciting, because you'll most likely get the guys and watch them for 4 years.
Hockey has turned into a joke, you are simply a step on their ladder.
Basketball is that way as well at big-time programs. Will be fun to see Tubby's first group progress.  
Post #: 209
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/7/2008 10:01:04 AM   
Jim Frenette

Scott Brewster said these kids that signed yesterday had not seen the virtual tour yet as it was only completed 2 weeks ago. They had seen models and pictures though. He also said he is well into the recruiting of the 09 class and they will all be seeing it they will be the freshman class as it opens.

Talk about flat screen TV's, they are all over the new stadium and many in the locker room.

ESPN had an update last night having the Gophers #23 and #4 in the Big 10.

Fargo
Post #: 210
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/7/2008 10:27:11 AM   
So.Mn.Fan

Well, then I'm even more impressed by Punky's go-get-'em attitude.
Best news? All 31 qualify academically I hear.
Brewster also said Nolan would have come here if his Dad had pressured him to.
Gotta leave that up to the kid. Lots of family ties to Texas, no surprise he kept his promise there.
Post #: 211
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/7/2008 10:49:19 AM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: So.Mn.Fan

Well, then I'm even more impressed by Punky's go-get-'em attitude.
Best news? All 31 qualify academically I hear.
Brewster also said Nolan would have come here if his Dad had pressured him to.
Gotta leave that up to the kid. Lots of family ties to Texas, no surprise he kept his promise there.

Plus putting this class together after a 1 win season is astounding for a school not named Notre Dame

Fargo
Post #: 212
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/7/2008 2:14:00 PM   
TJSweens

Regarding more commitments than scholarships; apparently 3 players will have to go on what is called "grey shirt" status. That means that they don't enroll in classes until the second semester. Obviously they cannot participate in football until they enroll. Apparently 1 player has already volunteered and they will select 2 more. They will get their scholarship money to start second semester. I think at that point they count against the next years allotment of scholarships.

Post #: 213
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/7/2008 2:49:00 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Regarding more commitments than scholarships; apparently 3 players will have to go on what is called "grey shirt" status. That means that they don't enroll in classes until the second semester. Obviously they cannot participate in football until they enroll. Apparently 1 player has already volunteered and they will select 2 more. They will get their scholarship money to start second semester. I think at that point they count against the next years allotment of scholarships.

Grey shirt means they do not take a full load of classes, therefore their clock will not start until they do.  It is a way of getting them ahead academically and preserving their redshirt season.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 214
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/7/2008 2:50:53 PM   
Brad H

Nice class guys.  I will have the Gophers rated in the top-10 JUCO classes of 2008 when I come out with my JUCO Cup rankings next week.

Post #: 215
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/7/2008 3:05:25 PM   
Jim Frenette

Brad I would like to see that list when you put it out.

Supposedly the Gophers got some DB's that can start right away and we all know they needed help there.

Fargo
Post #: 216
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/7/2008 6:55:53 PM   
Brad H

quote:

Supposedly the Gophers got some DB's that can start right away and we all know they needed help there.

No problems.  I'll give you a heads up when I release it.  I may put it out tomorrow.

Post #: 217
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/7/2008 7:12:28 PM   
djskillz

Great, Brad. 

Scott, thanks for the video.  That place is gonna be awesome.  Can't wait.  My uncle and aunt in Plymouth are HUGE Gophers boosters (go to EVERY game, every sport, and every bowl game, etc.) so I'm sure I can get some tix!

We're really in for a couple treats in the next couple years with that and Kirby Puckett Park.      Seriously, the recruits are gonna be streaming in after they visit that place.  Great stuff.

Also, I wonder if Brewster and Tubby are really both helping each other.  If I was an 18 year-old I'd sure be looking at the athletic department as a whole, coupled with that new stadium, and open my eyes a bit.  No doubt about it though; Brewster is clearly an amazing recruiter in his own right.  You can't win in college if you can't recruit.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 218
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/9/2008 10:53:06 AM   
Brad H

Story is up over at JCGridiron.com.  Gophers come in at No. 8.

http://www.jcgridiron.rivals.com/

Post #: 219
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/9/2008 10:53:36 AM   
Brad H

quote:

http://www.jcgridiron.rivals.com/

Post #: 220
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/9/2008 11:48:20 AM   
Jim Frenette

Thanks Brad. Very good.

I find it funny that a team like Okla that is consistently strong recruiting HS players would still have to go JC. The Gophers really had no choice as they needed to upgrade the defense right now and the JC route is the quickest.

Fargo
Post #: 221
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/9/2008 5:20:37 PM   
Brad H

quote:

Thanks Brad. Very good.

I find it funny that a team like Okla that is consistently strong recruiting HS players would still have to go JC. The Gophers really had no choice as they needed to upgrade the defense right now and the JC route is the quickest.

Nearly every major program grabs a couple quality JUCO guys every year.  Big 10 schools traditionally do not do as much JUCO recruiting because previous to a new rule that was instituted about four years ago, they used to have tougher academic entrance requirements.  The rule that was instituted is called the 40% rule.  I won't go into the details of it, because it is pretty drawn out, but it evened up the playing field a little bit for the Big 10 programs, which have long since had their own requirements that were similar.  That is why Penn State went out and got two JUCO guys last season and Michigan even got one.  One of Ohio State's starting linebackers the last two years was a JUCO guy (Larry Grant).

Oklahoma, Miami, Florida State, LSU, Bama, USC, Tennessee, Oregon and most of the high-profile programs grab one or two almost every year.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 2/9/2008 5:21:43 PM >

Post #: 222
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/9/2008 5:26:16 PM   
Jim Frenette

Brad I think it is good as it rewards kids for working hard at both academics and football

Fargo
Post #: 223
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/10/2008 4:10:14 PM   
TJSweens

Wow, Brad gets mentioned in Squid Hartman's column today. Journalistic standards have dropped to an all time low. 

Post #: 224
RE: RE:Gopher Football - 2/11/2008 9:37:39 AM   
Mr. Ed

Just set up a website rate some guys and send squid an email, and you're set ;)

Escape while you can!
Post #: 225
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: RE:Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode