Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  263 264 [265] 266 267   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 1/1/2015 5:13:59 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

3rd year in a row we've been reduced to talk at the end the game about how this bowl game helped recruiting...

How does losing Bowl games year after year, and embarrassingly so, help in the recruiting effort?

The other games, I agree.  This was  a nationally televised game on NYD, in Florida.  I can see them using this one but overall, I agree.
Post #: 6601
RE: Gopher Football - 1/1/2015 5:20:57 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I can't wait until Sid's column about "how we had em right where we wanted em" comes out. 
Post #: 6602
RE: Gopher Football - 1/1/2015 9:08:17 PM   
bstinger

Parents have gone, read through the posts, consumed many beverages, so take that into account...

1. Outcoached.
a. Special Teams coach should have had to walk home and be looking for a new job.
2. Too many Turnovers.
3. Way to F'ing conservative, which kind of goes with #1.
4. Interior D FAILED
5. After early success Cobb disappeared. Would've like to see a few snaps for #35. He showed some real burst on his TD run.
6. Williams showed a lot on the TD play, but too little the rest of the game. Needs to stay in school

I really glad Jerry has turned around the program to the degree he has, but he's shown he's no better than Mason for the most part. Play to win the game or get the F off the field.

Missouri played to win, like many of you say, Kill played to keep it close and failed at that. How does that look to recruits... Son, if you come to MN, we will try our hardest to only lose by a few?

Kill should be highly criticized for the game today. If that is the best he's got, I'm ready to try someone else.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 6603
RE: Gopher Football - 1/2/2015 6:02:58 AM   
Mr. Ed

Who was that B10 team that lost NYD?

THe conservative Gophers.

Their game had the lowest winning total. 33 points.

Can't play that tight to the vest. College FB is not played that way any longer.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6604
RE: Gopher Football - 1/2/2015 6:05:33 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Kill should be highly criticized for the game today. If that is the best he's got, I'm ready to try someone else.

Scoggins: Kill's caution set the wrong tone as Gophers beat themselves

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6605
RE: Gopher Football - 1/2/2015 8:35:37 AM   
TJSweens

This game still has me seething a day later. On a day when the Big Ten otherwise shattered the mystique of the great SEC, the Gopher pissed it away. This wasn't a game they could have won, this was a game they SHOULD HAVE WON! We had the better athletes and the better players. The opponents had an injured QB who sucks when he is healthy. The guy was wobbly, erratic and inaccurate. We picked him off 3 times, how the f*** did we lose this on? Because we also havefigured ut a coach who did not prepare his team for a bowl game. Missou obviously figured out what the Gophers do. Their HC even pointed out that the Gophers basically run the same 3 plays over and over, but that they use multiple formations to run those plays. He made it sound like a compliment in the way he said it, but he was obviously saying "hey Jerry, we figured your ass out". Once they saw it on the field they adjusted and took Cobb away from us. What makes it even more frustrating is that in the process of doing it, Missou left themselves vulnerable to the short and mid range passing game. Liedner was actually nailing his targets. He was 13 out of 14 at one point. Rather than exploit it, Kill stubbornly chose to keep going back to Cobb. I go back to the Fran Tarkenton philosophy; when the other team shows that they can't stop something you are doing, you do it over and over until they finally stop it. Then you do something else. That simple, basic concept is lost on Kill. He couldn't seem to fathom that no matter how well you execute, if the other team knows what you are going to do, they can stop it. Claeys does not get a pass here either. His defense got shredded by the same basic run up the middle at least half a dozen times. It was always against the same d line stunt. The tackle essentially took himself out of the play every time. I don't know if the tackle was just stupid or if there was a miscommunication. Generally when someone leaves their gap by design , someone else is suppose to fill it.

Missou also obviously installed new wrinkles in its time before the bowl. The Gophers just as obviously didn't. That's why we got caught looking stupid on the fake punt and the onside kick. Since Kill didn't implement it, he didn't expect the other side to do it either. We got caught so flat footed that the defense was back on its heels when they took the field. The fake punt and ensuing gains allowed them to pin us on our 2 yd line and ultimately score a TD on a short field. The on side kick gave them 3 pts.

Finally, killing the last minute of the first half with all of our time outs available was simply unforgivable. It's inconceivable to me that a coach in that position doesn't say "hey if we can drive down and at least get a FG out it, we can either tie or be ahead and we receive the kickoff to start the second half (mental note, they did a fake punt deep in their own end, they might try an onside kick to start the half)" To me this was every bit as bad if not worse than Denny taking the knee in 1998. You could see Liedner was visibly pissed off at the decision. His body language said "are you f***in kidding me?" He played to keep it close instead of playing to win. This to me was the fundamental difference in the game. Missouri's coach planned for these situations and prepared his players to carry them out. Kill stubbornly planned to just do what they always do and just try to out execute them. The problem is that when you play a good team, they can execute too.

My opinion of Kill is that he is a great practice coach. Players clearly get better in his system. His last two teams have executed at a higher level than even the teams under Mason. He is pretty limited as a game coach. He is great at developing a team that can consistently win enough games to go to bowl games. He is not good at planning for the big one. Yesterday his philosophies and strategies and game management managed to undermine what was the superior team of the field. He had a team THAT SHOULD HAVE WON and yanked the rug right out from under it.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6606
RE: Gopher Football - 1/2/2015 9:13:25 AM   
Mr. Ed

Good observations, Sweens. Don't get how they were moving early, doing things I was wondering where they came from, only to revert to pound it, play it "safe" football later on.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6607
RE: Gopher Football - 1/2/2015 9:46:46 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Yeap, good stuff that we all were bitching about, in game, but summed up nicely.  It's still mind blowing.  Even 24 hours later. 

And you are right Tim.  We had/have a better team.  That's the hardest part to swallow.  I can handle getting beat on the field by a better team.  It's hard to handle when you are better and your coaching staff shits the bed.  It's happened before to MN teams.  Just frustrating all around.
Post #: 6608
RE: Gopher Football - 1/2/2015 9:48:11 AM   
Lynn G.

That emoticon I found for the Wild seems to be a perfect fit here too:

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 6609
RE: Gopher Football - 1/2/2015 10:05:50 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

Please get that implemented in the group of emoticons that we can use on talkvikes. Fits in so many situations.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6610
RE: Gopher Football - 1/2/2015 10:12:48 AM   
Jeff Jesser

We need one where the team is lined up at midfield getting ready to run a play and Kill runs them over with a bus.  Can anyone make that happen?
Post #: 6611
RE: Gopher Football - 1/2/2015 10:15:57 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

This game still has me seething a day later. On a day when the Big Ten otherwise shattered the mystique of the great SEC, the Gopher pissed it away. This wasn't a game they could have won, this was a game they SHOULD HAVE WON! We had the better athletes and the better players. The opponents had an injured QB who sucks when he is healthy. The guy was wobbly, erratic and inaccurate. We picked him off 3 times, how the f*** did we lose this on? Because we also havefigured ut a coach who did not prepare his team for a bowl game. Missou obviously figured out what the Gophers do. Their HC even pointed out that the Gophers basically run the same 3 plays over and over, but that they use multiple formations to run those plays. He made it sound like a compliment in the way he said it, but he was obviously saying "hey Jerry, we figured your ass out". Once they saw it on the field they adjusted and took Cobb away from us. What makes it even more frustrating is that in the process of doing it, Missou left themselves vulnerable to the short and mid range passing game. Liedner was actually nailing his targets. He was 13 out of 14 at one point. Rather than exploit it, Kill stubbornly chose to keep going back to Cobb. I go back to the Fran Tarkenton philosophy; when the other team shows that they can't stop something you are doing, you do it over and over until they finally stop it. Then you do something else. That simple, basic concept is lost on Kill. He couldn't seem to fathom that no matter how well you execute, if the other team knows what you are going to do, they can stop it. Claeys does not get a pass here either. His defense got shredded by the same basic run up the middle at least half a dozen times. It was always against the same d line stunt. The tackle essentially took himself out of the play every time. I don't know if the tackle was just stupid or if there was a miscommunication. Generally when someone leaves their gap by design , someone else is suppose to fill it.

Missou also obviously installed new wrinkles in its time before the bowl. The Gophers just as obviously didn't. That's why we got caught looking stupid on the fake punt and the onside kick. Since Kill didn't implement it, he didn't expect the other side to do it either. We got caught so flat footed that the defense was back on its heels when they took the field. The fake punt and ensuing gains allowed them to pin us on our 2 yd line and ultimately score a TD on a short field. The on side kick gave them 3 pts.

Finally, killing the last minute of the first half with all of our time outs available was simply unforgivable. It's inconceivable to me that a coach in that position doesn't say "hey if we can drive down and at least get a FG out it, we can either tie or be ahead and we receive the kickoff to start the second half (mental note, they did a fake punt deep in their own end, they might try an onside kick to start the half)" To me this was every bit as bad if not worse than Denny taking the knee in 1998. You could see Liedner was visibly pissed off at the decision. His body language said "are you f***in kidding me?" He played to keep it close instead of playing to win. This to me was the fundamental difference in the game. Missouri's coach planned for these situations and prepared his players to carry them out. Kill stubbornly planned to just do what they always do and just try to out execute them. The problem is that when you play a good team, they can execute too.

My opinion of Kill is that he is a great practice coach. Players clearly get better in his system. His last two teams have executed at a higher level than even the teams under Mason. He is pretty limited as a game coach. He is great at developing a team that can consistently win enough games to go to bowl games. He is not good at planning for the big one. Yesterday his philosophies and strategies and game management managed to undermine what was the superior team of the field. He had a team THAT SHOULD HAVE WON and yanked the rug right out from under it.

I know it's early, but I nominate this one for post of the year.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 6612
RE: Gopher Football - 1/2/2015 10:50:25 AM   
Lynn G.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

Please get that implemented in the group of emoticons that we can use on talkvikes. Fits in so many situations.

I requested that the other day and Toby came through. It's in there.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 6613
RE: Gopher Football - 1/2/2015 11:05:46 AM   
MarkWren

Was there amidst the Gopher faithful yesterday, and upon arrival, there was truly magic in the air. It was a sea of maroon & gold, the band was massive and majestic outside the stadium, ran into an old work colleague & family, met David Cobbs' dad & brother, etc.

This loss was truly disturbing. It bothers me still. Sweens and the rest of you have summed it up very well. Let me just add that, as we went into a fetal position as the 1st half wound down, the air just went out of the balloon for us in the stands. It was all the guys were talking about in the rest room line at the half. You saw how it played out, thereafter.

As much as I like Kill & staff, they need to be on a very short leash moving forward. This was a golden opportunity, blown. We should have seized that game and defeated an inferior team. Disturbing way to end a season.
Post #: 6614
RE: Gopher Football - 1/2/2015 11:39:16 AM   
SoMnFan

Soooo glad to see angst in here today.
Checked all the TC stations last night and got what I expected .... Unabashed gushing.
Coulda puked.
They are all pushing the "great for recruiting" angle.
It was, if you want the second-tier guys who simply want playing time.
Ohio state isn't even supposed to be great until the next two years .... Point is, there better not be one damn ounce of "we're there" yet.
Felt stupid late, when it got ugly, but am not backing off on the feeling that we have some good pieces.
Coaching seemed so good early, and so abysmal late. I think we've always known that. Give our assistants time, and they will prepare nicely for our starts. Not so much, for our finishes. Lots of work to do.
Didn't like how they made it sound like certain parts of the team are finished products. Because none are. The STs were abysmal and got beaten soundly. D depth and stamina were almot non-existent. The O weaknesses are obvious.
We've come a ways. We've got miles to go.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 6615
RE: Gopher Football - 1/2/2015 12:38:22 PM   
Mr. Ed

Phenomenal

Urban Meyer has been a college football head coach for 13 seasons. He has lost 26 games.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6616
RE: Gopher Football - 1/2/2015 12:38:40 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

My family is made up of Wisconsin and Missouri fans.

Once again - everyone in my family gets a win except for me. I'm going to have a pity party.

This is just a continuing cruel joke, this state of our sports teams.
Hell, even Cleveland thinks they have a winner.
So tired of it. All. Maybe as low as I've been about it.
Other places figure out how to turn the corner. We just keep making the wrong turns.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 6617
RE: Gopher Football - 1/2/2015 12:39:51 PM  1 votes
SoMnFan

quote:

Phenomenal

Urban Meyer has been a college football head coach for 13 seasons. He has lost 26 games.

I hate that guy.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 6618
RE: Gopher Football - 1/2/2015 1:04:49 PM   
SoMnFan

Some crappy games today
These belong in late December
David Gibbs is a head man today fer CHRISSAKES
As Ed noted ... Winners yesterday scored ....
Get on board, or get left behind. Stop fighting reality. (A minnesota tradition)

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 6619
RE: Gopher Football - 1/2/2015 1:27:57 PM   
Mr. Ed

Williams gone. No surprise.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6620
RE: Gopher Football - 1/2/2015 1:30:52 PM   
David Levine

The right decision.

quote:

Darren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson 27m27 minutes ago
Maxx makes official what I reported last week: he's going pro. Feedback across the board points to 2nd rd. Bright future for a good kid.
Post #: 6621
RE: Gopher Football - 1/2/2015 1:35:00 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

Phenomenal

I hate that guy.

Agreed. He's a douche bag's douche bag.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6622
RE: Gopher Football - 1/2/2015 7:23:28 PM   
SoMnFan

Sorry Hawkeyes, but couldn't pull for you today.
Just not allowable with my DNA

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 6623
RE: Gopher Football - 1/2/2015 9:55:56 PM   
SoMnFan

Winners so far today scored

Hmmmmmmmm

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 6624
RE: Gopher Football - 1/2/2015 10:46:40 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Winners so far today scored

Hmmmmmmmm

Aww shucks folks, Country Jer(as Reusse refers to him) believes a power running game and a decent d should should give you a 20-17 win every time out.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6625
Page:   <<   < prev  263 264 [265] 266 267   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  263 264 [265] 266 267   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode