Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  304 305 [306] 307 308   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 9/1/2016 9:33:30 PM   
David Levine

It was ugly, but Carpenter hits his first ever FG attempt (45 yards)
Post #: 7626
RE: Gopher Football - 9/1/2016 10:18:27 PM   
David Levine

Celestin is our 2nd LBer to get ejected for targeting...
Post #: 7627
RE: Gopher Football - 9/1/2016 10:28:41 PM   
David Levine

Huge defensive stop only to fumble the punt...
Post #: 7628
RE: Gopher Football - 9/1/2016 10:31:03 PM   
Brad H

Gophers look absolutely terrible. Leidner has 45 yards passing late in the 3rd quarter. They make the Vikings offense look up-tempo.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 7629
RE: Gopher Football - 9/1/2016 10:45:41 PM   
David Levine

Hell of a spin out a tackle by Smith for the TD.

Leidner still far better with his feet than his arm.
Post #: 7630
RE: Gopher Football - 9/1/2016 10:57:32 PM   
David Levine

Santoso with another excellent punt.
Post #: 7631
RE: Gopher Football - 9/1/2016 11:03:19 PM   
David Levine

Unreal.

Now Devers is ejected for targeting...

3 players.
Post #: 7632
RE: Gopher Football - 9/1/2016 11:25:39 PM   
David Levine

Not pretty, but its a win.
Post #: 7633
RE: Gopher Football - 9/1/2016 11:27:13 PM   
David Levine

Kind of an odd choice to go for 2 with a 7 point lead late in the game.
Post #: 7634
RE: Gopher Football - 9/2/2016 7:46:12 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Really dumb. Good thing they were playing Oregon State. The Beavers looked terrible.

Post #: 7635
RE: Gopher Football - 9/2/2016 8:17:00 AM   
Karl Juhnke

Ugly win. But that seems to be the only way we do non-conference games.
Post #: 7636
RE: Gopher Football - 9/2/2016 8:26:38 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

I kind of like it. I would have to do a probability tree to see if it makes sense to like it. You have a roughly 50% chance of icing the game right there.

But I'm an advocate of going for two more anyway. Coaches do it backwards, going for one by default and switching to a situational approach later in the game. I'd do the opposite. Go for two by default and only go for 1 later in the game under certain situations. Like up 3 when either an extra point or a two puts you up by more than a field goal.
Post #: 7637
RE: Gopher Football - 9/2/2016 8:55:10 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Holy shit, I may want Limegrover back
Post #: 7638
RE: Gopher Football - 9/2/2016 8:56:51 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Those pundits that said ML could be first round pick need to find a new gig. Dude overthrows a 6-10 TE like he was on his knees.
Post #: 7639
RE: Gopher Football - 9/2/2016 9:28:15 AM   
drew

Good stuff everyone. We won, but I have more concerns coming out of that game than heading into it. Hopefully some of the problems were knocking off rust in the first game, but these things concern me.

1. Lack of discipline. I'm not just talking about the targeting penalties (all of which were legit, IMO). Way too many offsides by our OL. Poock totally deserved to get ejected for his stupid display which directly lead to a TD for OSU. Without that penalty, they are punting from their 10 yard line.

2. Was Limegrover calling in the plays from Penn St? Looked pretty similar to me. The most frustrating sequence to me (which ironically turned out ok) was our 2 minute drill before half. We get the ball on the 35-40 yard line with more than a minute left and all 3 TO's. What do we do? Run the first play. Mason said you either coach to win or not to lose. This would fall into the latter category. Overall, play calling too conservative for my taste.

3. Claeys end of game coaching. A lot of people were up in arms about going for 2. I would have kicked, but it is defensible to go for 2 as Karl noted. More concerning to me is the clock management during that drive when we were trying to drain the clock. There were at least 3 plays where we snapped the ball with more than 10 seconds on the play clock. Inexcusable!! He needs to hire a game management coach, because this is a trend after the Michigan debacle last year.

4. Leidner. Looked like Mitch from last year to me. He made some big plays and deserves some credit - the pump fake to get the guy in the air and run for the 1st and goal was a beauty. But accuracy and more importantly, game awareness is totally lacking. He's a one read QB and the game seems to move too fast for him to process info and make the right decision.

On the bright side, Tyler Johnson and that DE from Georgia who got ejected looked like studs! Where was Coughlin? I thought for sure we'd see him after we lost all our LB's. Maybe he's hurt too. Rodney Smith with a real nice game. Santoso was huge all night, great weapon. Richardson is a stud in the DL.

Happy for the win, but a lot of work to do. The next couple weeks should be a good opportunity to iron some of these issues out. Oregon St. isn't very good and was outgaining us 2-1 at the end of the 3rd quarter. If we play like last night all year, 6-6 is looking a lot more likely than 9-3.
Post #: 7640
RE: Gopher Football - 9/2/2016 9:33:45 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: drew

Good stuff everyone. We won, but I have more concerns coming out of that game than heading into it. Hopefully some of the problems were knocking off rust in the first game, but these things concern me.

1. Lack of discipline. I'm not just talking about the targeting penalties (all of which were legit, IMO). Way too many offsides by our OL. Poock totally deserved to get ejected for his stupid display which directly lead to a TD for OSU. Without that penalty, they are punting from their 10 yard line.

2. Was Limegrover calling in the plays from Penn St? Looked pretty similar to me. The most frustrating sequence to me (which ironically turned out ok) was our 2 minute drill before half. We get the ball on the 35-40 yard line with more than a minute left and all 3 TO's. What do we do? Run the first play. Mason said you either coach to win or not to lose. This would fall into the latter category. Overall, play calling too conservative for my taste.

3. Claeys end of game coaching. A lot of people were up in arms about going for 2. I would have kicked, but it is defensible to go for 2 as Karl noted. More concerning to me is the clock management during that drive when we were trying to drain the clock. There were at least 3 plays where we snapped the ball with more than 10 seconds on the play clock. Inexcusable!! He needs to hire a game management coach, because this is a trend after the Michigan debacle last year.

4. Leidner. Looked like Mitch from last year to me. He made some big plays and deserves some credit - the pump fake to get the guy in the air and run for the 1st and goal was a beauty. But accuracy and more importantly, game awareness is totally lacking. He's a one read QB and the game seems to move too fast for him to process info and make the right decision.

On the bright side, Tyler Johnson and that DE from Georgia who got ejected looked like studs! Where was Coughlin? I thought for sure we'd see him after we lost all our LB's. Maybe he's hurt too. Rodney Smith with a real nice game. Santoso was huge all night, great weapon. Richardson is a stud in the DL.

Happy for the win, but a lot of work to do. The next couple weeks should be a good opportunity to iron some of these issues out. Oregon St. isn't very good and was outgaining us 2-1 at the end of the 3rd quarter. If we play like last night all year, 6-6 is looking a lot more likely than 9-3.

The problem with Leidner is that he's the same guy that played as a freshman. He hasn't improved a lick.

I thought the new JUCO guys all looked pretty good. Poock was ejected, but it was hardly what I would call a vicious hit and a marginal ejection. Wait until the back-up running back picks up the offense (McCrary). The kid can play.

Post #: 7641
RE: Gopher Football - 9/2/2016 10:07:42 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

Speaking of the end game, What was the deal with Liedner dropping back 8-10 yards and taking knees at the end? I could sort of see it one time, I thought maybe they were giving the punter some room to make a better goal line kick? But they kept doing it, and kept moving back. Why? They only got bailed out by a penalty which gave them a first down.

Just run the ball. If you get a first down the game's over.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 9/2/2016 10:08:50 AM >
Post #: 7642
RE: Gopher Football - 9/2/2016 10:19:56 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Those pundits that said ML could be first round pick need to find a new gig. Dude overthrows a 6-10 TE like he was on his knees.

It looked a lot like the same Liedner, except skinnier. Every game he has a half dozen or so throws that are nowhere near a receiver, usually overthrows. He made some nice throws too. Some weren't caught, one long one that should have been an interference call, but was a nice pass.

History says he'll get better as the year goes on, but he's way too inconsistent right now to be that 1st round draft pick guy we've been hearing about. The offense only got going when he started running the ball.
Post #: 7643
RE: Gopher Football - 9/2/2016 10:52:07 AM   
drew

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

Speaking of the end game, What was the deal with Liedner dropping back 8-10 yards and taking knees at the end? I could sort of see it one time, I thought maybe they were giving the punter some room to make a better goal line kick? But they kept doing it, and kept moving back. Why? They only got bailed out by a penalty which gave them a first down.

That was actually one thing that I understood. I believe there was exactly 1:00 when we got the ball and OSU had two timeouts. If the first two plays can burn enough time(about 7-8 sec/play) we can run the clock out by kneeling on 3rd down. It certainly was interesting.
Post #: 7644
RE: Gopher Football - 9/2/2016 11:18:54 AM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

It looked a lot like the same Liedner, except skinnier. Every game he has a half dozen or so throws that are nowhere near a receiver, usually overthrows. He made some nice throws too. Some weren't caught, one long one that should have been an interference call, but was a nice pass.

History says he'll get better as the year goes on, but he's way too inconsistent right now to be that 1st round draft pick guy we've been hearing about. The offense only got going when he started running the ball.

I can't see him getting drafted at all. How anyone could see an NFL level passer in him is beyond me.
Post #: 7645
RE: Gopher Football - 9/2/2016 12:44:38 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

quote:

quote:

That was actually one thing that I understood. I believe there was exactly 1:00 when we got the ball and OSU had two timeouts. If the first two plays can burn enough time(about 7-8 sec/play) we can run the clock out by kneeling on 3rd down. It certainly was interesting.

Ah, maybe that was it. They needed to kill a few more seconds than what just taking a knee would have done.
Post #: 7646
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2016 5:44:07 PM   
SoMnFan

Reality somewhat returning to Madison.
LSU back in front, thankfully.
Post #: 7647
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2016 5:46:33 PM   
SoMnFan

Not for long ...
Post #: 7648
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2016 7:25:53 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

I kind of like it. I would have to do a probability tree to see if it makes sense to like it. You have a roughly 50% chance of icing the game right there.

But I'm an advocate of going for two more anyway. Coaches do it backwards, going for one by default and switching to a situational approach later in the game. I'd do the opposite. Go for two by default and only go for 1 later in the game under certain situations. Like up 3 when either an extra point or a two puts you up by more than a field goal.

Absolute agreement. Only reason the 2 isn't standard is coaches are cowards.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 7649
RE: Gopher Football - 9/4/2016 4:04:16 PM   
SoMnFan

Decided to let the comments come in on that game. Can't hold off anymore. I understand many things Claeys does and his thoughts. But some things he does are bat shit crazy. And I'm a river boat gambler myself.
Post #: 7650
Page:   <<   < prev  304 305 [306] 307 308   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  304 305 [306] 307 308   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode