Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  344 345 [346] 347 348   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 1/30/2017 11:54:33 AM   
TJSweens

And another flip to the Gophers. This time Purdue. Ohio lineman Malcolm Robinson flips to Gophers from Purdue.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 8626
RE: Gopher Football - 1/30/2017 12:16:08 PM   
Mr. Ed

Wonder when MN has had a recruiting class this large?

Claeys had what 15-20? Fleck is pushing 30.

I do like the hashtag a couple of students I know at the U have used referring to the football program.

#FleckU

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8627
RE: Gopher Football - 1/30/2017 12:21:08 PM   
TJSweens

And the class rank has climbed at least 20 spots since Fleck took over.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 8628
RE: Gopher Football - 1/30/2017 2:10:15 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

And another flip to the Gophers. This time Purdue. Ohio lineman Malcolm Robinson flips to Gophers from Purdue.

He was Purdue's top ranked recruit.
Post #: 8629
RE: Gopher Football - 1/30/2017 2:27:08 PM   
TJSweens

It's always good when you can strengthen your own class at the expense of a rival.

Post #: 8630
RE: Gopher Football - 1/30/2017 3:06:18 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Wonder when MN has had a recruiting class this large?

Claeys had what 15-20? Fleck is pushing 30.

I do like the hashtag a couple of students I know at the U have used referring to the football program.

#FleckU

It's getting to be too many. We'll be too young. How many redshirts are we allowed?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8631
RE: Gopher Football - 1/31/2017 7:15:47 AM   
SoMnFan

When you lose twelve at a time to scandal, you over-book em.
Post #: 8632
RE: Gopher Football - 1/31/2017 8:56:49 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Ouch
Post #: 8633
RE: Gopher Football - 2/1/2017 8:49:02 AM   
TJSweens

Tyrone Chambers wound up signing with Toledo instead of the Gophers. Sounds like he had some academic issues.

Post #: 8634
RE: Gopher Football - 2/1/2017 9:23:40 AM   
Mr. Ed

Boye Mafe stayed home

Here is a list

http://www.gophersports.com/signingday/index-2017.html#roster

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8635
RE: Gopher Football - 2/1/2017 9:25:22 AM   
Mr. Ed

A couple of those DB's have some good size already.

And some guys out of Iowa. I salute Fleck. He's probably made more in-roads to enemy territory than the last 2 coaches combined.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8636
RE: Gopher Football - 2/1/2017 9:27:02 AM   
Mr. Ed

A couple of QBs already enrolled; There should be good competition this spring/fall.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8637
RE: Gopher Football - 2/1/2017 9:44:33 AM   
TJSweens

Scout.com has the Gopher class rated #34. That's quite an amazing accomplishment for a coach taking over late in the recruiting cycle. I think the class was rated #59 before Fleck stepped in.

Post #: 8638
RE: Gopher Football - 2/1/2017 9:52:45 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Scout.com has the Gopher class rated #34. That's quite an amazing accomplishment for a coach taking over late in the recruiting cycle. I think the class was rated #59 before Fleck stepped in.

25 recruits

Strib says Eric Abojei and Ihmir Smith-Marsett appear to be headed elsewhere.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8639
RE: Gopher Football - 2/1/2017 9:54:35 AM   
TJSweens

We're also right in the middle of the Big Ten rankings at #8. Just a few points separate us from Illinois at #7. More important we are solidly ahead of Wisconsin and Iowa.

Now if Fleck can really coach, we might be on to something.

Post #: 8640
RE: Gopher Football - 2/1/2017 9:56:03 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

25 recruits

Strib says Eric Abojei and Ihmir Smith-Marsett appear to be headed elsewhere.

Yep, we lost those two along with Chambers and picked up Mafe. All in all a good day.

Post #: 8641
RE: Gopher Football - 2/3/2017 5:07:56 PM   
David Levine

Jon Krawczynski ‏@APkrawczynski 49m49 minutes ago
Suspended Gophers are starting to hear individually about decisions. Antoine Winfield Jr was cleared of any wrongdoing

Darren Wolfson ‏@DWolfsonKSTP 38m38 minutes ago
Yes, per dad, Winfield Jr. is staying with the #Gophers.
Post #: 8642
RE: Gopher Football - 2/3/2017 5:38:36 PM   
David Levine

Darren Wolfson ‏@DWolfsonKSTP 37m37 minutes ago
Source tells me that QB Seth Green's 1-year suspension recommendation has been overturned. #gophers

Darren Wolfson ‏@DWolfsonKSTP 27m27 minutes ago
Shenault overturned... Williams upheld 1 yr suspension... Djam reduced to 1 yr suspension... Buford/Hardin/Johnson/Johnson expulsions upheld

Darren Wolfson ‏@DWolfsonKSTP 27m27 minutes ago
(con.) TBD on who will appeal, and not appeal. For some this process may not be over. #Gophers
Post #: 8643
RE: Gopher Football - 2/3/2017 5:39:34 PM   
Karl Juhnke

http://www.startribune.com/suspensions-overturned-for-two-gophers-in-alleged-sexual-assault/412735183/

At least three cleared. Winfield, MacCrary RB, Seth Green QB.

The rest, still unknown.

And yes Winfield Sr says son didn't want to transfer. And MacCary posted a celebratory tweet indicating he's staying too.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 2/3/2017 7:36:41 PM >
Post #: 8644
RE: Gopher Football - 2/3/2017 9:25:54 PM   
Mr. Ed

Four of the 10 University of Minnesota football players facing school discipline in connection to an alleged sexual assault investigation have been cleared by a school panel, according to a lawyer for the players.

Four of the players will be expelled from school and two others suspended for one year unless they pursue and win an appeal to the school’s provost. It’s not clear whether they will appeal further. The woman who accused the players also has a right to appeal their punishment.

The players no longer facing punishment are freshman safety Antoine Winfield Jr., freshman quarterback Seth Green, sophomore defensive back Antonio Shenault and junior running back Kobe McCrary.

Attorney Lee Hutton III said the four players are “very pleased to be vindicated by the panel’s rulings.

“The allegations against them were unwarranted and could have greatly harmed their bright futures. They look forward to putting this incident behind them and moving ahead in their academic and athletic pursuits,” Hutton said in an emailed statement.

Those four initially faced one-year suspensions or, in Shenault’s case, probation.

FOUR TO BE EXPELLED

The panel upheld most of the more serious penalties, a source told KSTP-TV.

Defensive backs Ray Buford, KiAnte Hardin and Dior Johnson and defensive lineman Tamarion Johnson will be expelled from school, and quarterback Mark Williams will get a one-year suspension, the source said. Running back Carlton Djam has his expulsion reduced to a one-year suspension.

Hutton would not confirm the specific penalties.

“The remaining student-athletes are very disappointed by the panel’s rulings and are exploring their options in consultation with their families,” Hutton said.

University spokesman Evan Lapiska said “the law does not allow us to talk about further specifics about the events behind the suspensions. Title IX and other related proceedings are also confidential throughout the due process that the university’s policies provide.”

The four players facing expulsion were suspended last fall after a woman reported multiple players pressured her into having sex in September. An investigative report by the university indicated in December that additional players were in the vicinity of or knew about the alleged assault and failed to intervene.

All 10 players implicated were held out of the Holiday Bowl. Their teammates staged a short-lived boycott, calling the disciplinary process unfair and accusing school administrators of lying to them.

Coach Tracy Claeys tweeted support for the boycott and was fired a week after the bowl game win. P.J. Fleck was hired to replace him three days later.

RELIEF FOR THOSE CLEARED

Winfield’s father, Antoine Winfield Sr., said his son will return to the team. He reportedly texted KSTP-TV, “Feels like 1000 lbs has been lifted off him. Time to go back to work. God is good!!”

None of the players face criminal charges.

Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman called the players’ behavior “deplorable” and considered charging some of them for either forcing the woman or having sex with her while she was too intoxicated to consent. He ultimately declined, saying he couldn’t prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they committed a crime.

The standard for finding the players responsible for student conduct violations is far different from that of a criminal court. The U panel was asked to determine whether the players “more likely than not” committed the violations.

The U’s Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action office made the initial recommendations for punishing the players. All 10 challenged the penalties during more than 18 hours of hearings Jan. 26 and 27 before a three-person panel appointed by the U.

Be a good idea to keep your junk in your pants, boys.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8645
RE: Gopher Football - 2/17/2017 10:35:59 PM   
twinsfan

I'm watching Philip Nelson playing in some sort of college football All-Star game on FSN right now. Looks like he might have a future in the NFL.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8646
RE: Gopher Football - 2/20/2017 11:09:26 AM   
David Levine

Minnesota Football Recruiting: Quarterback Brennan Armstrong commits to Gophers

P.J. Fleck landed his quarterback this weekend when Brennan Armstrong gave his verbal commitment to be Elite and Golden. Armstrong is an Ohio native and one of the best pure quarterbacks in the Midwest.

This kid plays with toughness. He is able to make plays with this feet when things breakdown. But as a passer he is accurate and decisive. For the first time in a very long time the Gophers are getting a quarterback who is a pure quarterback.

Quotables

Ryan Burns of GopherIllustrated ($cout) has some fantastic quotes from Armstrong in his commitment recap. So many that it was hard to pick just one. This is the time that I point out that this is going to be an Elite recruiting cycle and picking up a subscription to Gopher Illustrated might not be a bad investment for you.

quote:

What put Minnesota over the other schools recruiting me was definitely coach Fleck. He's just a great fit for me at a school I want to play at, and everything just aligned for me at Minnesota. The people overall at Minnesota when I was on my visit were just different, and those are the kind of people I want to be around. I'll be able to get a great business degree for their business school, and the football program is already in a good place, but I'll be able to help coach Fleck really take it to the next level now. When I called him tonight to commit, he told me now that I'm in the boat, I'll be in the only quarterback they take for the 2018 class, so they'll be done now. I'm just so happy that this weight is off my back, and that I can tell you the recruiting process is over and that I'm a Golden Gopher now.

Scout Analyst, Bill Greene, breaking down Armstrong and his fit at Minnesota.

quote:

This is the smartest player on the field, the toughest player on the field, and the great leader that Gopher coaches are going to love. His high school coaches rave about his work ethic and his leadership skills. He's been putting up big numbers and winning big games since he was a freshman starter, and I expect that to continue at the next level. While he might not have the ceiling of an Andrew Luck, Armstrong has a very high floor and there is almost a zero bust rate with this type of kid.

Measurables

Height: 6' 2"
Weight: 205 lbs.

TDG Analysis

In Two Words - if you have to remember just two things about this player...

Quick Release
Smart

Absurd Comparisons

Sit down for this one, but I’m going with Drew Brees. The Bill Greene article above also made this comparison to Brees. Armstrong is accurate, quick release and most importantly he is decisive in his throws. Not blessed with elite height, but is awfully productive anyway and capable of making plays on his feet.

Scheme Fit

Quick release, decisive with his throws and plays with toughness...this is exactly the type of quarterback for Fleck. Not much more to be said, but I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see him starting early in his career. This is a great fit and a talented kid. Expect that by the time National Signing Day rolls around next February, Armstrong will be a 4-star recruit with other schools making a push to flip him.

I think Adam Weber better beware, some of his records may be in jeopardy.

Impact on Other Prospects?

That’s it. This is your quarterback for the 2018 class and he’s one of the top QBs available. I’m haven’t been this excited about a QB recruit since MarQuies Gray.

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2017/2/19/14662742/minnesota-football-recruiting-brennan-armstrong-quarterback-ohio
Post #: 8647
RE: Gopher Football - 2/20/2017 11:12:52 AM   
David Levine

The Bill Greene article (referenced above):

Breakdown: Minnesota QB Commit Brennan Armstrong
BILL GREENE
Yesterday at 5:44 AM / Originally published onScout Football

Minnesota head coach P.J. Fleck has made the state of Ohio a recruiting priority, and he picked up a commitment from quarterback Brennan Armstrong Sunday. What are the Gophers getting with Armstrong?

WHAT ARE THE STRENGTHS?
The greatest strength of Brennan Armstrong would be the fact that this is a pure winner in every sense of the word. He is going to win on the field, in the weight room, in the classroom, and in the community. Physically, he is tough as nails, evidenced by his running ability and his play at safety. He has good arm strength, but great field awareness and pocket presence. He is highly intelligent and can get the football out quickly to the right receiver, with accuracy and zip on the ball. He is also a pure quarterback, and we've seen schools taking athletes first at the position, then trying to make them into a quarterback. This is a great pickup for Minnesota.

WHAT ARE THE CONCERNS?
In an era where college coaches are putting super athletes at quarterback, and using them as runners first and passers second, that just isn't Brennan Armstrong. He is athletic, but this is not Cam Newton or Terrelle Pryor. He is also not the prototypical 6-foot-5, 235-pound, kid that can throw it through a wall from 50-yards out. Armstrong does everything well, but is just not the physically imposing player some schools prefer. He will beat people with the combination of his skills, not one particular feature that stands out at first glance.

WHAT ARE THE INTANGIBLES?
This is the smartest player on the field, the toughest player on the field, and the great leader that Gopher coaches are going to love. His high school coaches rave about his work ethic and his leadership skills. He's been putting up big numbers and winning big games since he was a freshman starter, and I expect that to continue at the next level. While he might not have the ceiling of an Andrew Luck, Armstrong has a very high floor and there is almost a zero bust rate with this type of kid.

WHO DOES HE COMPARE TO?
Think of Kellen Moore at the college level (also left handed by the way), or Drew Brees at the NFL level.

WHAT ABOUT HIS RANKING?
Currently ranked as a three-star, but we are now in the process of updating our rankings for the 2018 class. Armstrong is definitely under consideration for four-star status.

http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1756190-breakdown-minnesota-commit-brennan-armstrong?s=176
Post #: 8648
RE: Gopher Football - 2/20/2017 11:36:34 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

I'm watching Philip Nelson playing in some sort of college football All-Star game on FSN right now. Looks like he might have a future in the NFL.

Been in trouble w/the law. Should fit in.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8649
RE: Gopher Football - 2/20/2017 6:55:51 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Minnesota Football Recruiting: Quarterback Brennan Armstrong commits to Gophers

P.J. Fleck landed his quarterback this weekend when Brennan Armstrong gave his verbal commitment to be Elite and Golden. Armstrong is an Ohio native and one of the best pure quarterbacks in the Midwest.

This kid plays with toughness. He is able to make plays with this feet when things breakdown. But as a passer he is accurate and decisive. For the first time in a very long time the Gophers are getting a quarterback who is a pure quarterback.

Quotables

Ryan Burns of GopherIllustrated ($cout) has some fantastic quotes from Armstrong in his commitment recap. So many that it was hard to pick just one. This is the time that I point out that this is going to be an Elite recruiting cycle and picking up a subscription to Gopher Illustrated might not be a bad investment for you.

quote:

What put Minnesota over the other schools recruiting me was definitely coach Fleck. He's just a great fit for me at a school I want to play at, and everything just aligned for me at Minnesota. The people overall at Minnesota when I was on my visit were just different, and those are the kind of people I want to be around. I'll be able to get a great business degree for their business school, and the football program is already in a good place, but I'll be able to help coach Fleck really take it to the next level now. When I called him tonight to commit, he told me now that I'm in the boat, I'll be in the only quarterback they take for the 2018 class, so they'll be done now. I'm just so happy that this weight is off my back, and that I can tell you the recruiting process is over and that I'm a Golden Gopher now.

Scout Analyst, Bill Greene, breaking down Armstrong and his fit at Minnesota.

quote:

Measurables

Height: 6' 2"
Weight: 205 lbs.

TDG Analysis

In Two Words - if you have to remember just two things about this player...

Quick Release
Smart

Absurd Comparisons

Sit down for this one, but I’m going with Drew Brees. The Bill Greene article above also made this comparison to Brees. Armstrong is accurate, quick release and most importantly he is decisive in his throws. Not blessed with elite height, but is awfully productive anyway and capable of making plays on his feet.

Scheme Fit

Quick release, decisive with his throws and plays with toughness...this is exactly the type of quarterback for Fleck. Not much more to be said, but I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see him starting early in his career. This is a great fit and a talented kid. Expect that by the time National Signing Day rolls around next February, Armstrong will be a 4-star recruit with other schools making a push to flip him.

I think Adam Weber better beware, some of his records may be in jeopardy.

Impact on Other Prospects?

That’s it. This is your quarterback for the 2018 class and he’s one of the top QBs available. I’m haven’t been this excited about a QB recruit since MarQuies Gray.

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2017/2/19/14662742/minnesota-football-recruiting-brennan-armstrong-quarterback-ohio

So does this make him the first Fleck recruit for 2018? Sounds incredible if he isn't stolen. I could live with a college version of Drew Brees leading our squad.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 8650
Page:   <<   < prev  344 345 [346] 347 348   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  344 345 [346] 347 348   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode