Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  406 407 [408] 409 410   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 8/26/2019 9:13:41 AM   
TJSweens

It would be a good omen if the Gophers can get up early and put the boots to them. They will have to overcome their storied tradition of making waaaaayyyyyy too much work out opponents like this and occasionally being upset by them. Granted South Dakota is "better than you think", but the Gophers should be able to beat them decisively if they are really progressing the way Fleck wants us to believe they are.

One thing that is for absolute certain about this year's edition of the Gophers is that they are FREAKEN HUGE. The offensive line in particular is absolutely massive. With Smith and Brooks returning to a backfield rotation with Ibraham, the Gophers should be able to pound a lot of defenses into submission. The return of Winfield should spark the defense.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 10176
RE: Gopher Football - 8/26/2019 9:35:00 AM   
bstinger

I dislike the late Thursday start again for the opener. Same day as Vikings play their last preseason game. Might be taking Friday off.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 10177
RE: Gopher Football - 8/26/2019 3:51:39 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

I dislike the late Thursday start again for the opener. Same day as Vikings play their last preseason game. Might be taking Friday off.

Really?!?! How do you watch that? Especially their last one!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10178
RE: Gopher Football - 8/26/2019 3:53:04 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

It would be a good omen if the Gophers can get up early and put the boots to them. They will have to overcome their storied tradition of making waaaaayyyyyy too much work out opponents like this and occasionally being upset by them. Granted South Dakota is "better than you think", but the Gophers should be able to beat them decisively if they are really progressing the way Fleck wants us to believe they are.

One thing that is for absolute certain about this year's edition of the Gophers is that they are FREAKEN HUGE. The offensive line in particular is absolutely massive. With Smith and Brooks returning to a backfield rotation with Ibraham, the Gophers should be able to pound a lot of defenses into submission. The return of Winfield should spark the defense.

South Dakota is not the Jackrabbits.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10179
RE: Gopher Football - 8/26/2019 3:54:08 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

I never said they were dumbass.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 10180
RE: Gopher Football - 8/26/2019 3:57:09 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

But you did say South Dakota is better than you think.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10181
RE: Gopher Football - 8/26/2019 4:00:52 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Very true.

Post #: 10182
RE: Gopher Football - 8/26/2019 4:01:42 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Very true.

But irrelevant to the Gophers thread because the Gophers do not play South Dakota.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10183
RE: Gopher Football - 8/26/2019 4:05:01 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Very true.

But irrelevant to the Gophers thread because the Gophers do not play South Dakota.

True, but I didn't feel like typing South Dakota State Jackrabbits, so I just typed South Dakota. I think you knew that, but for some reason you enjoy acting like the obnoxious little brother who winds up getting stuffed in a trash can.

Post #: 10184
RE: Gopher Football - 8/26/2019 7:17:33 PM  1 votes
twinsfan

Don't be a jerk. You effed up. Own it.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10185
RE: Gopher Football - 8/26/2019 9:55:04 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

I probably won't watch it all, but would like to. Not only that, I have golf league, so won't be home until 8ish anyway and would like to watch the Twins (on tape), Vikings (on tape) and Gopher's live. I just didn't want to go into all of that earlier. Main point is, why are the Gopher's starting their season at 8 on a Thursday for at least 3 years in a row, if I'm remembering correctly.

--twinsfan
Post #: 10186
RE: Gopher Football - 8/27/2019 12:21:19 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

I probably won't watch it all, but would like to. Not only that, I have golf league, so won't be home until 8ish anyway and would like to watch the Twins (on tape), Vikings (on tape) and Gopher's live. I just didn't want to go into all of that earlier. Main point is, why are the Gopher's starting their season at 8 on a Thursday for at least 3 years in a row, if I'm remembering correctly.

It makes it feel special.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10187
RE: Gopher Football - 8/27/2019 7:36:55 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, it doesn't.

--twinsfan
Post #: 10188
RE: Gopher Football - 8/28/2019 1:13:40 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, it doesn't.

The Goofers I mean Gophers are playing tomorrow? Wow that seems early.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10189
RE: Gopher Football - 8/28/2019 3:37:19 PM   
Phil Riewer

Thursday/Friday before Labor Day is when the season starts (even if they don't play then)---just like it always has always been for High Schools too.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 8/28/2019 3:38:32 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 10190
RE: Gopher Football - 8/29/2019 9:01:07 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, it doesn't.

It gives the players a full Labor Day weekend. It also adds excitement since it coincides with the State Fair. Honestly, I don't see a problem with a Thursday night game to kick off the season.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10191
RE: Gopher Football - 8/29/2019 9:02:48 AM   
twinsfan

You should probably be more upset with the NFL and the Vikings for scheduling a preseason game during the Gophers opener, if the Vikings game is that important to some.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10192
RE: Gopher Football - 8/29/2019 9:15:04 AM   
TJSweens

I'm predicting the Gophers win 37-10. Smith and Ibraham tag teaming behind the Gophers massive offensive line will grind the Jackrabbits defense down. Morgan will be throwing to one of the deepest WR cores the Gophers have ever had against a secondary that has 3 new starters. The return of Winfield will spark a secondary that is going to feast on the throws from a freshman QB who will have to throw a lot due to being behind.

Post #: 10193
RE: Gopher Football - 8/29/2019 9:49:45 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

I'm predicting the Gophers win 37-10. Smith and Ibraham tag teaming behind the Gophers massive offensive line will grind the Jackrabbits defense down. Morgan will be throwing to one of the deepest WR cores the Gophers have ever had against a secondary that has 3 new starters. The return of Winfield will spark a secondary that is going to feast on the throws from a freshman QB who will have to throw a lot due to being behind.

When does Shannon Brooks return?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10194
RE: Gopher Football - 8/29/2019 9:55:04 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

When does Shannon Brooks return?

That's still undecided. They are taking their time with him because with Smith, Ibraham and Bryce Williams, there is no need to rush him back.

Post #: 10195
RE: Gopher Football - 8/29/2019 10:06:46 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

You should probably be more upset with the NFL and the Vikings for scheduling a preseason game during the Gophers opener, if the Vikings game is that important to some.

Yuck. I can't think of anything more dull than a 4th preseason game...and in Buffalo yet. Won't be watching one minute of it.
Post #: 10196
RE: Gopher Football - 8/29/2019 10:13:45 AM   
Karl Juhnke

SD State is a good program...relatively speaking. Obviously in a different class than Big 10, but for their class they are good.

Gophers do just enough to win and cover 14 1/2 point spread. SD state gets a couple of late scores to make the gamblers nervous though.

Gophers 35 Jackrabbits 20

Afterwards Fleck says happy to win, proud of the guys, but lots of room for improvement, work to do, blah blah blah...
Post #: 10197
RE: Gopher Football - 8/29/2019 10:24:54 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

Yuck. I can't think of anything more dull than a 4th preseason game...and in Buffalo yet. Won't be watching one minute of it.

Yeah, me neither. But bstinger was upset about it.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10198
RE: Gopher Football - 8/29/2019 12:22:21 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm not that upset about it because of the preseason game, although I will watch some of it, on tape. It's more about the Thursday 8 PM start. Play on Saturday, when college football was meant to be played. Final Preseason game for NFL is typically on Thursday, every team is playing today, can't blame the Vikings.

--twinsfan
Post #: 10199
RE: Gopher Football - 8/29/2019 1:01:41 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm not that upset about it because of the preseason game, although I will watch some of it, on tape. It's more about the Thursday 8 PM start. Play on Saturday, when college football was meant to be played. Final Preseason game for NFL is typically on Thursday, every team is playing today, can't blame the Vikings.

Purple Pocket Protector

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10200
Page:   <<   < prev  406 407 [408] 409 410   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  406 407 [408] 409 410   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode