Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  504 505 [506] 507 508   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 11/20/2020 7:59:43 AM   
SoMnFan

As of Thursday afternoon, 15 games scheduled for Week 12 of the college football season have been canceled or postponed because of coronavirus cases. There have been 40 games either canceled or postponed over the past three weeks of the season as virus cases have surged across the country.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12626
RE: Gopher Football - 11/20/2020 8:08:12 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

As of Thursday afternoon, 15 games scheduled for Week 12 of the college football season have been canceled or postponed because of coronavirus cases. There have been 40 games either canceled or postponed over the past three weeks of the season as virus cases have surged across the country.

And the Gophers march on

Should cancel their game to spare the fans.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12627
RE: Gopher Football - 11/20/2020 8:21:18 AM   
SoMnFan

Was thinking that the whole time

Can we have one of these, please?

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12628
RE: Gopher Football - 11/20/2020 9:03:48 AM   
TJSweens

They are playing a butt load of freshmen. These guys have to take the field and take their lumps at some point in order to get better. Might as well get it out of the way now.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 12629
RE: Gopher Football - 11/20/2020 9:11:14 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

They are playing a butt load of freshmen. These guys have to take the field and take their lumps at some point in order to get better. Might as well get it out of the way now.

Hurray, our freshmen weren't ready for this.

We'll be better some day!!

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12630
RE: Gopher Football - 11/20/2020 9:13:32 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

right?

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12631
RE: Gopher Football - 11/20/2020 9:14:49 AM   
Mr. Ed

The so-called "experts" were about as accurate as the weather people regarding this team.

This is now a top 25 program! They'll be good! THey've had great recruiting classes!

Whoops.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12632
RE: Gopher Football - 11/20/2020 9:18:49 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

The so-called "experts" were about as accurate as the weather people regarding this team.

This is now a top 25 program! They'll be good! THey've had great recruiting classes!

Whoops.

It kinda hurt when Kills handful of damn good NFL players left

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12633
RE: Gopher Football - 11/20/2020 9:27:39 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

right?

I don't typically go for excuses like that, but the fact is that they played 10 different freshmen on defense alone against Iowa. Like I said earlier, its takes more than 3 full recruiting classes to build the kind of depth you need to sustain it year in and year out. Fleck bought some benefit of the doubt with me last year. I'm willing to put the snark in check for a year to see what he can do.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 12634
RE: Gopher Football - 11/20/2020 9:28:09 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

Whoops.

It kinda hurt when Kills handful of damn good NFL players left

Yes

Thank goodness they didn't Have this covid or mass injuries last year. The subs weren't ready.

And the experts didn't expect them to be this not ready I guess.

Morgan has not improved. Also missed by the experts.

Bateman is playing. Not sure he's helping or hurting his draft spot. Latest mock I saw has him late first round.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12635
RE: Gopher Football - 11/20/2020 9:29:11 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

right?

I don't typically go for excuses like that, but the fact is that they played 10 different freshmen on defense alone against Iowa. Like I said earlier, its takes more than 3 full recruiting classes to build the kind of depth you need to sustain it year in and year out. Fleck bought some benefit of the doubt with me last year. I'm willing to put the snark in check for a year to see what he can do.

How did the experts get it so wrong?

How did we sheep miss that this was going to be a throw-away year?

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12636
RE: Gopher Football - 11/20/2020 9:31:11 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

right?

I don't know. Why the experts pick them to finish at the bottom of the Big Ten last year?

Post #: 12637
RE: Gopher Football - 11/20/2020 9:33:04 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

right?

I don't know. Why the experts pick them to finish at the bottom of the Big Ten last year?

Dang, I don't know either. And here I thought you were the U expert.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12638
RE: Gopher Football - 11/20/2020 9:33:20 AM   
SoMnFan

Bateman looks like a guy who wasn't sure he'd be back
The entire team, and especially him, are playing like a college pickup game on asphalt
"Oh hell no, I'm not hitting the ground, I'll reach a little, I'll grab on, but I ain't touching the ground"
Its understandable some kids are messed up by this whole thing, knew some would just not handle it well
We are NOT handling it well.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12639
RE: Gopher Football - 11/20/2020 9:34:41 AM   
Mr. Ed

I'm just a dumb sheep fan that expected with a high ranking, a bowl win over Auburn, that good times were on the way.

Great recruiting, all that.

Expectations suck. I guess I just need to nod and wait for one good every so often like many are, at least in the comments on the U I read.

SKI U MAH

ROW THE EFFING BOAT

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12640
RE: Gopher Football - 11/20/2020 9:39:16 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Bateman looks like a guy who wasn't sure he'd be back
The entire team, and especially him, are playing like a college pickup game on asphalt
"Oh hell no, I'm not hitting the ground, I'll reach a little, I'll grab on, but I ain't touching the ground"
Its understandable some kids are messed up by this whole thing, knew some would just not handle it well
We are NOT handling it well.

Must have part of this whole deal.

As a team, voted overwhelmingly to not play this fall.
Then it got turned around by NEB and OSU.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12641
RE: Gopher Football - 11/20/2020 9:41:18 AM   
SoMnFan

Agree
I see them simply not being as "into it" as they need to be.
Theres definitely talent here, they just don't seem like they want it right now. Imo.
Coach em up sparky.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12642
RE: Gopher Football - 11/20/2020 9:42:07 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

right?

Dang, I don't know either. And here I thought you were the U expert.

Not at all. I just have my own opinions on the job Fleck is doing. Like I said, last year bought him a year of benefit of the doubt with me. I understand if others are more skeptical after 50 years of being so bad that the rube base is happy when we achieve mediocrity.

Post #: 12643
RE: Gopher Football - 11/20/2020 9:45:14 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

Agree
I see them simply not being as "into it" as they need to be.
Theres definitely talent here, they just don't seem like they want it right now. Imo.
Coach em up sparky.

There is a leadership void on the field this year. Especially on defense.

Post #: 12644
RE: Gopher Football - 11/20/2020 9:47:00 AM   
SoMnFan

Fair enough, we are all at different levels of skepticism at this point
Understandably
Huge year or two ahead
Where do we go? Up? Down? Level off again?
tick...tick....tick

We scream in anger at these young coaches who come in, have some immediate success, and then they have the nerve to tell us others want them.
Times like this, you go, "damn, maybe Fleck shoulda grabbed that golden onion ring that ______ offered"
Because his stock is PLUMMETING
Now, if he rebounds nicely, his stock could go past what it was ... thats the kicker, and why we will stay tuned.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 12645
RE: Gopher Football - 11/20/2020 9:48:46 AM   
Mr. Ed

https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/LongFormArticle/Minnesota-Gophers-Football-2020-prediction-preview-schedule-PJ-Fleck-win-projection-152973092/

With the Gopher Football season now in the single-digit days until they kickoff against Michigan, I suppose it's about that time to give my annual Minnesota 2020 win prediction. Last year in this article, I predicted that the Gophers would be 9-3 (they went 10-2 in the regular season) and two years ago in this piece, I had Minnesota at 7-6 (hint: they went 7-6), so it's only downhill from here, right? Expectations for Minnesota's 2020 season are pretty damn high and understandably so coming off a historic season just a year ago.

------

ESPN came out with two sets of analytical metrics in the "FPI" aka their Football Power Index, plus we've got the tried and true SP+ from the great Bill Connelly. It's an interesting tale that these two metrics try to tell.

- FPI ranks Minnesota #29 in their ranks, but that only ranks eighth in the Big Ten and fourth in the West. Wisconsin and Iowa plus Northwestern (???) are all rated above Minnesota coming into the season. FPI projects the Gophers with a 4.8 and 4.2 record, with a 26.9% chance to win six games, only a 5.0% chance to win the West and 0.6% chance to win the Big Ten. I'd love to know what Northwestern projects like to justify that, but here we are.

- The SP+ ranks Minnesota #15 in their overall rankings right now, which in that case is good enough for fourth overall in the Big Ten and second in the West behind only Wisconsin. In that scenario as well, the only opponent ranked above the Gophers heading into the season would be Wisconsin. You could argue that the SP+ would favor the Gophers in seven of their eight regular season games then (I have no idea what to call the crossover week to end the season).

But on paper, this is a season where a Minnesota run to a West title may not be as outlandish as you think, with the Gophers schedule being very conducive to a Big Ten West run, but I believe the most important thing that'll determine wins and losses in this COVID year is something that's a little tougher to quantify and that's continuity. With every Big Ten team having the spring football season wiped away, I'm going to be putting a lot of stock into teams that have experienced talent coming back as all these B1G teams get this five weeks leading up to the season.

Here's a brief overview of why Minnesota has a shot in the West this fall.

- Wisconsin will be breaking in a new quarterback (QB1 from last year in Jack Coan is out indefinitely with a foot injury), RB1 Jonathan Taylor is gone to the NFL and Wisconsin doesn't have a bonafide stud ready to replace him (thoughts from Evan Flood), WR1 Quintez Cephus is gone (he torched Minnesota last year) and so are three offensive line starters. What will Wisconsin's offense look like in 2020?

- Iowa will be breaking in a brand new quarterback in Spencer Petras, loses first round linemen Tristan Wirfs and AJ Epenesa, plus back-seven defenders Kristian Welch, Dillon Doyle, Djimon Colbert, Geno Stone and Michael Ojemudia.

- Northwestern has a new quarterback in Indiana transfer Peyton Ramsey who should provide a boost to the offense, but Northwestern lost their best offensive lineman to an opt-out and their best wide receiver to Notre Dame as a transfer. They'll have a stout defense, but how do they move the ball?

- Nebraska has a hellacious schedule with Ohio State, Wisconsin and Penn State in their first four games, with two road games against Iowa and Purdue before they take on Minnesota to end the season. Question marks all around with Adrian Martinez, how this offense flows without JD Spielman and can Nebraska stop anyone on defense?

- Purdue gets a boost with Rondale Moore coming back to pair with David Bell to form probably the best wide receiver duo in the Big Ten, but how does Brohm's team play in the cold, plus can they stop anyone defensively?

- Illinois has their best team under Lovie Smith, but can they put it together in a pivotal year for the Fighting Illini?

Then that leaves Minnesota. They avoid the top two teams in the East with Penn State and Ohio State. Return a lot of starters on offense, and get Iowa and Michigan at home. It's not all #TeamSmellTheRoses with road games at Wisconsin and Nebraska, but all things considered, getting Maryland and Michigan for cross-over games isn't a bad draw.

I struggled immensely writing this article this year because as much as I love believing what my sources are telling me, I've only seen the 2020 version of the Gopher Football team once in nearly 11 months. That was for a March spring practice, so I haven't seen this team with my own two eyes in almost seven months. I don't like that one bit, but welcome to COVID-19 Big Ten 3.0 edition.

- The two big football questions that need answering from my perspective are:

1) Can new offensive coordinator Mike Sanford Jr. keep this offense humming with a majority of his starters back in Tanner Morgan, Mo Ibrahim, Rashod Bateman and essentially the entire 2019 offensive line?

2) Can defensive coordinator Joe Rossi get this inexperienced defense that loses seven starters from 2019 playing as well as they did for Minnesota last season?

So this guy was spot on about the 2 big questions

Fail and Fail

Escape while you can!
Post #: 12646
RE: Gopher Football - 11/20/2020 10:20:45 AM   
TJSweens

I think we all expected some fall off on defense, but nothing this dramatic. You certainly don't want to have to rotate 10 freshmen on defense, but I expected Rossi to bring them along quicker.

The offense has had it's moments. It does hurt to lose arguably your two best starting linemen for the season, but with Ibrahim, Bateman, Morgan and others still playing, I expected better.

What I am hoping for is for Fleck's history to continue. His teams have gotten better every year as the season has progressed.

Post #: 12647
RE: Gopher Football - 11/20/2020 6:32:15 PM   
twinsfan

Excited for tonight. Cory Provus and Glen Mason on the call. Can't beat that.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12648
RE: Gopher Football - 11/20/2020 6:40:16 PM   
twinsfan

What a drive!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12649
RE: Gopher Football - 11/20/2020 6:45:40 PM   
twinsfan

Jake the Snake's son is gonna have some issues tonight. Our defense is motivated.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12650
Page:   <<   < prev  504 505 [506] 507 508   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  504 505 [506] 507 508   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode