Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  520 521 [522] 523 524   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 10/17/2021 11:48:33 AM   
Bill Jandro

Had the Gophers not laid an egg against Bowling Green they'd be in pretty good shape right now.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 13026
RE: Gopher Football - 10/23/2021 2:47:37 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Did I hear that right? ESPN studio analyst guy said the key for Minnesota was to keep pounding the ball with Trey Potts.

Post #: 13027
RE: Gopher Football - 10/25/2021 4:14:20 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

Did I hear that right? ESPN studio analyst guy said the key for Minnesota was to keep pounding the ball with Trey Potts.

The way they aren't talking about Potts it sounds he got hit in a bad, don't talk about it, area.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 13028
RE: Gopher Football - 10/25/2021 5:03:17 PM   
Jeff Jesser

The Potts situation is as bizarre as our clock management at the end of the first half.
Post #: 13029
RE: Gopher Football - 10/26/2021 8:24:52 AM  1 votes
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

The Potts situation is as bizarre as our clock management at the end of the first half.

In the last two minutes of that first half, Fleck made Zim look like a clock managing genius. It would have served him right if that blocked FG had been returned for a TD. Just embarrassingly inept. Then, in the post game presser, Fleck admitted that they were playing for the FG the second they got the ball. That was a well deserved shower of boos when the team left the field.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 13030
RE: Gopher Football - 10/26/2021 8:28:47 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

In the last two minutes of that first half, Fleck made Zim look like a clock managing genius. It would have served him right if that blocked FG had been returned for a TD. Just embarrassingly inept. Then, in the post game presser, Fleck admitted that they were playing for the FG the second they got the ball. That was a well deserved shower of boos when the team left the field.

Deplorable.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 13031
RE: Gopher Football - 10/26/2021 9:12:05 AM   
TJSweens

Fleck acknowledged Monday that Maryland quarterback Taulia Tagovailoa, who passed for 394 yards and accounted for five touchdowns against the Gophers in the Terrapins' 45-44 overtime victory last year, played a role in his decision.

"I just didn't want to give the guy, No. 3, the ball back as well, so that goes into it," Fleck said.

What a chicken shit! We held them in check for the half, but I didn't want them getting the ball with 30 seconds left because their guy scorched us last year. I didn't trust my defense to keep them from scoring for another half a minute.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 10/26/2021 9:15:55 AM >

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 13032
RE: Gopher Football - 10/26/2021 10:07:07 AM  1 votes
twinsfan

quote:

Fleck acknowledged Monday that Maryland quarterback Taulia Tagovailoa, who passed for 394 yards and accounted for five touchdowns against the Gophers in the Terrapins' 45-44 overtime victory last year, played a role in his decision.

"I just didn't want to give the guy, No. 3, the ball back as well, so that goes into it," Fleck said.

What a chicken shit! We held them in check for the half, but I didn't want them getting the ball with 30 seconds left because their guy scorched us last year. I didn't trust my defense to keep them from scoring for another half a minute.

I don't have a problem with it. Fleck is man enough to admit he learns from past experiences and has adjusted accordingly. Refreshing IMO.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 13033
RE: Gopher Football - 10/26/2021 10:12:46 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

I don't have a problem with it. Fleck is man enough to admit he learns from past experiences and has adjusted accordingly. Refreshing IMO.

There is no indication he learned from this and will adjust in the future.

Post #: 13034
RE: Gopher Football - 10/26/2021 10:45:20 AM  1 votes
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

He did learn from "going for it" with a few seconds left in the 1st half. He's been burned big time in those situations. Giving up an INT or fumble and points for the opposition right before the half. And you can bet if that had happened again, he'd be ripped for it.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 13035
RE: Gopher Football - 10/26/2021 10:55:45 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He did learn from "going for it" with a few seconds left in the 1st half. He's been burned big time in those situations. Giving up an INT or fumble and points for the opposition right before the half. And you can bet if that had happened again, he'd be ripped for it.

Really? How many times has he been burned by it? Seems to me he has always been ultra conservative going into the half. He even admitted as much. Learned it from Jim Tressell, he said. Fleck was talking about Tagovailoa passing for 394 yards and 5 TD last year. As far as I know, there was no getting burned by going for it in the last 30 seconds of the half last year.

Fleck hasn't learned and adapted. He did what we always does and will probably continue to do. Run run run and grind it out in all situations. Probably run a few RB into submission in the process.

Post #: 13036
RE: Gopher Football - 10/26/2021 11:05:49 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Really? How many times has he been burned by it? Seems to me he has always been ultra conservative going into the half. He even admitted as much. Learned it from Jim Tressell, he said. Fleck was talking about Tagovailoa passing for 394 yards and 5 TD last year. As far as I know, there was no getting burned by going for it in the last 30 seconds of the half last year.

Fleck hasn't learned and adapted. He did what we always does and will probably continue to do. Run run run and grind it out in all situations. Probably run a few RB into submission in the process.

Really.

Fleck also noted his approach Saturday was the result of Minnesota being unsuccessful in a similar situation in Colorado.

On Sept. 18, Minnesota had a first and 10 at the Buffaloes 32. Tanner Morgan had an incompletion, and Sam Schleuter was flagged for ineligible receiver downfield. The five-yard penalty meant a 54-yard field goal attempt, and Trickett’s career long is 50.

With the clock continuing to run in Boulder, Colo., which was a whole separate communication issue with officials, Minnesota handed the ball off on the final snap of the half and time expired.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 13037
RE: Gopher Football - 10/26/2021 12:34:55 PM   
twinsfan

Iron sharpens iron.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 13038
RE: Gopher Football - 10/26/2021 12:39:28 PM  1 votes
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Really.

Fleck also noted his approach Saturday was the result of Minnesota being unsuccessful in a similar situation in Colorado.

On Sept. 18, Minnesota had a first and 10 at the Buffaloes 32. Tanner Morgan had an incompletion, and Sam Schleuter was flagged for ineligible receiver downfield. The five-yard penalty meant a 54-yard field goal attempt, and Trickett’s career long is 50.

With the clock continuing to run in Boulder, Colo., which was a whole separate communication issue with officials, Minnesota handed the ball off on the final snap of the half and time expired.

What does this prove, other than Fleck consistently has no idea how to run a 2 minute offense? If he had learned anything, he would have cleaned up the mistakes that led to ineligible receiver downfield. He would also have realized that from that distance on the last play of the half, he might as well air it out to the endzone instead of just handing off to kill the clock. Just proves he is consistently gutless and playing to not lose instead of playing to win.

Any other bad examples of Fleck astutely learning from past mistakes?

Post #: 13039
RE: Gopher Football - 10/26/2021 12:42:09 PM   
twinsfan

We are a responsive organization, not a reactive organization.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 13040
RE: Gopher Football - 10/26/2021 12:45:19 PM   
TJSweens

Now you're just being deliberately obtuse.

Post #: 13041
RE: Gopher Football - 10/26/2021 12:51:19 PM   
twinsfan

He have to be ready for Northwestern. Pat Fitzgerald teams always get better as the season progresses. They have won the B1G West 2 of the last 3 seasons. This will be a battle of two disciplined football teams.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 13042
RE: Gopher Football - 10/26/2021 12:53:32 PM   
twinsfan

It's tough playing at Northwestern. Never let the circumstances dictate your performance.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 13043
RE: Gopher Football - 10/30/2021 5:54:33 PM  2 votes
Jeff Jesser

A dominating win today. If we didn’t lose to BG we would crack the top 10.

Only “WTF” moment was the 3rd 7 call on the opening drive when we were on their 10 yard line-ish. Take Morgan out and the running guy in for a 1 yard gain?? Really?

< Message edited by Jeff Jesser -- 10/30/2021 5:55:33 PM >
Post #: 13044
RE: Gopher Football - 11/1/2021 8:27:05 AM   
bstinger

quote:

Only “WTF” moment was the 3rd 7 call on the opening drive when we were on their 10 yard line-ish. Take Morgan out and the running guy in for a 1 yard gain?? Really?

That was beyond stupid.

I was actually disinterested enough that I fell asleep a couple of times during the game, so I can't comment on whether or not there were others.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 13045
RE: Gopher Football - 11/1/2021 8:33:45 AM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

That was beyond stupid.

I was actually disinterested enough that I fell asleep a couple of times during the game, so I can't comment on whether or not there were others.

LOL, sounds like Zimmer ball. Everybody in the stadium knew what was coming but they run it anyways.
Post #: 13046
RE: Gopher Football - 11/1/2021 9:00:58 AM   
TJSweens

Jerry Kill named interim coach at TCU

That's one job Fleck won't be considered for.

Post #: 13047
RE: Gopher Football - 11/3/2021 11:52:09 AM   
Mister Ed

Extension for the sideline show

More clock Management excellence through 2028

What was old is new again
Post #: 13048
RE: Gopher Football - 11/5/2021 9:09:43 AM   
twinsfan

Gonna be a beautiful day for college football tomorrow!

This team would be in the college football playoffs had they found a way to squeak out a win vs Bowling Green.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 13049
RE: Gopher Football - 11/5/2021 9:24:04 AM   
Mister Ed

quote:

Gonna be a beautiful day for college football tomorrow!

This team would be in the college football playoffs had they found a way to squeak out a win vs Bowling Green.

Ummm

No

No way the committee would be stupid enough to put more overrated B10 teams in the top group than they already have there.

What was old is new again
Post #: 13050
Page:   <<   < prev  520 521 [522] 523 524   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  520 521 [522] 523 524   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode