Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  531 532 [533] 534 535   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 6/19/2023 8:18:20 AM   
TJSweens

Love this one: The Gophers got a commitment from the #1 rated recruit in Wisconsin.

Nathan Roy, a 6-5, 275-pound, four-star offensive tackle from Mukwonago, Wis., announced on Twitter that he has committed to Minnesota to be part of its 2024 recruiting class. Roy committed while making his official visit to the Gophers this weekend.

Love it. After years of Wisconsin poaching top recruits out of Minnesota, the Gophers finally turn the tables. Now if Ron Johnson could just get in on the act.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 13301
RE: Gopher Football - 6/19/2023 12:28:04 PM   
David Levine

Get to know Nathan Roy

Height: 6’5”
Weight: 275

Power 5 Scholarship Offers: Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kentucky, Miami, Michigan State, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State, Syracuse, Tennessee, UCLA, USC, and Wisconsin

Scouting Report
Roy is a monster. Watch his highlights and you’ll see him mauling one defender after another. Checking in at 6’5” and 275 lbs., these high school players simply don’t stand a chance. But more than that, Roy’s athleticism also stands out. Not only he is overpowering when blocking downhill, but he can also move well laterally and clear a path for ball carriers attacking the edge of the defense. His combination of size and athleticism is why he has more than a dozen Power 5 offers. This is a huge commitment — both figuratively and literally — for the Gophers.

Highlights:
https://www.hudl.com/profile/14426590/Nathan-Roy

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2023/6/19/23765577/minnesota-gopher-football-recruiting-four-star-offensive-lineman-nathan-roy-commits
Post #: 13302
RE: Gopher Football - 7/26/2023 2:37:08 PM   
twinsfan

Lots of controversy about PJ Fleck out there right now. Cult-like culture.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 13303
RE: Gopher Football - 7/27/2023 11:42:21 AM   
TJSweens

Many current and former Gophers are dismissing the article as a hit piece, trying to cash in on the momentum from the Northwesterm allegations and law suits.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 13304
RE: Gopher Football - 7/27/2023 3:02:49 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Many current and former Gophers are dismissing the article as a hit piece, trying to cash in on the momentum from the Northwesterm allegations and law suits.

That's my impression too. Just trying to ride along in the wake of the Northwestern story.

Fleck isn't for everyone. No big secret. When you are dealing with 100 kids a year there are bound to be a few who don't buy in, and get disillusioned, get disgruntled about this or that.

Seems like a big nothing story.
Post #: 13305
RE: Gopher Football - 7/27/2023 3:15:09 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

That's my impression too. Just trying to ride along in the wake of the Northwestern story.

Fleck isn't for everyone. No big secret. When you are dealing with 100 kids a year there are bound to be a few who don't buy in, and get disillusioned, get disgruntled about this or that.

A lot of the parents aren't PJ types; the kids more or less like/love it though.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 13306
RE: Gopher Football - 9/1/2023 7:50:28 AM   
stfrank

Gophers pull off a last minute win last night and from what I saw in limited viewing, they have plenty to work on. A win is a win even if it looks ugly. 1-0 to start the season looks good on the board.
Post #: 13307
RE: Gopher Football - 9/1/2023 9:03:31 AM   
Brad H

The Gopher quarterback is just brutal. And the sad part is, they'll leave him out there for the next four years.

Again, the program hasn't had a good QB since Rickey Foggie. How hard can it be to find one guy in a 40-year span?

< Message edited by Brad H -- 9/1/2023 9:05:47 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 13308
RE: Gopher Football - 9/1/2023 9:07:25 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

Gophers pull off a last minute win last night and from what I saw in limited viewing, they have plenty to work on. A win is a win even if it looks ugly. 1-0 to start the season looks good on the board.

Nebraska looks absolutely horrendous. No wonder 90,000 showed up for the volleyball match.

Post #: 13309
RE: Gopher Football - 9/1/2023 10:29:58 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Defense was good but the running QB burned us too much. Kid has game though (with his legs). Offense was brutal, at times. Fleck and co. need to quickly realize this isn't last years OLine and running game.
Post #: 13310
RE: Gopher Football - 9/1/2023 11:52:04 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Defense was good but the running QB burned us too much. Kid has game though (with his legs). Offense was brutal, at times. Fleck and co. need to quickly realize this isn't last years OLine and running game.

Agree.with all. If Nebraska had anything offensively besides the QBs legs this could have been very different. It's one game, but the o-line lacks that bulldozer quality of the last few years. A battering ram with cutting ability like Ibrahim hasn't emerged yet. The Greek had his moments, but was less than stellar. I saw enough of him last year to believe he will do better going forward.

Post #: 13311
RE: Gopher Football - 9/1/2023 11:55:27 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Was also impressed with the new Western MI WR (4, I think, off memory). He was catching everything in the first half.
Post #: 13312
RE: Gopher Football - 9/2/2023 6:56:34 AM  1 votes
Brad H

quote:

quote:

Agree.with all. If Nebraska had anything offensively besides the QBs legs this could have been very different. It's one game, but the o-line lacks that bulldozer quality of the last few years. A battering ram with cutting ability like Ibrahim hasn't emerged yet. The Greek had his moments, but was less than stellar. I saw enough of him last year to believe he will do better going forward.

I'm looking forward to UCLA and USC being in the same division as the Gophers next year. It should be much easier for Minnesota recruit the West Coast for a decent quarterback. That kid starting right now wouldn't start for a good high school team on the West Coast. No chance. In fact, he likely wouldn't even make the depth chart at Mater Dei, Bosco and a number of others.

I like PJ Fleck. I think he's good for the game. But the offense needs to join the 21st century at some point. He's been there awhile now. They've had some good wide receivers since he arrived, but still haven't solved the QB thing.

And for crying out loud, get rid of the Ski-U-Mah and Row the Boat nonsense. It was a decent one-year idea.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 9/2/2023 7:02:28 AM >

Post #: 13313
RE: Gopher Football - 9/2/2023 10:46:30 AM  3 votes
David Levine

Ski-U-Mah dates back to 1884. No reason for it to go anywhere.
Post #: 13314
RE: Gopher Football - 9/2/2023 3:19:31 PM  1 votes
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Great. Their offense looks like it is from 1884. It's a perfect match.

Post #: 13315
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2023 5:59:50 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Great. Their offense looks like it is from 1884. It's a perfect match.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 13316
RE: Gopher Football - 9/9/2023 12:10:50 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Watch us lose tonight but watching Neb/Col is making me feel much better about our game last week.
Post #: 13317
RE: Gopher Football - 9/9/2023 10:03:31 PM   
stfrank

The Gophers were in control of this game from the get go today. A bad play after marching right down the field on the first drive forcing a field goal instead of a TD hurt, but otherwise there was never really any doubt. The ground and pound game was looking good and just plain wore Eastern Michigan down and our D picked up and shut them down in the 2nd half. All in all a good game.
Post #: 13318
RE: Gopher Football - 9/11/2023 7:24:15 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

I'm looking forward to UCLA and USC being in the same division as the Gophers next year. It should be much easier for Minnesota recruit the West Coast for a decent quarterback. That kid starting right now wouldn't start for a good high school team on the West Coast. No chance. In fact, he likely wouldn't even make the depth chart at Mater Dei, Bosco and a number of others.

I like PJ Fleck. I think he's good for the game. But the offense needs to join the 21st century at some point. He's been there awhile now. They've had some good wide receivers since he arrived, but still haven't solved the QB thing.

And for crying out loud, get rid of the Ski-U-Mah and Row the Boat nonsense. It was a decent one-year idea.

Ski-U-Mah has been there a little longer than row the boat.

The problem with the QB is that he has little game time and our best WR is still recovering from a torn ACL (Autmann Bell).

Post #: 13319
RE: Gopher Football - 9/11/2023 10:15:44 AM   
Jeff Jesser

He also has no touch. He throws 95 MPH fast balls whether it's a screen or a bomb. He needs to stop trying to show off.
Post #: 13320
RE: Gopher Football - 9/11/2023 11:14:35 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

He also has no touch. He throws 95 MPH fast balls whether it's a screen or a bomb. He needs to stop trying to show off.

All in all, he is a better passer and runner than Morgan. The Greek needs to get better, but I think he has the ability to do so.

Post #: 13321
RE: Gopher Football - 9/11/2023 11:27:32 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

quote:

All in all, he is a better passer and runner than Morgan. The Greek needs to get better, but I think he has the ability to do so.

100%. Talent wise, it's no contest.
Post #: 13322
RE: Gopher Football - 9/11/2023 11:51:22 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

100%. Talent wise, it's no contest.

Guessing we have UNC next week; maybe more Autmann Bell?

Post #: 13323
RE: Gopher Football - 9/11/2023 12:00:26 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Hope so but that kid from Eastern Michigan (I think) has looked really good. I've been really impressed with Rossi too. If Fleck would open up the offense more we could be trouble.
Post #: 13324
RE: Gopher Football - 9/12/2023 7:58:03 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

A lot of the parents aren't PJ types; the kids more or less like/love it though.

How many have you spoken to or interviewed?

Post #: 13325
Page:   <<   < prev  531 532 [533] 534 535   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  531 532 [533] 534 535   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode