Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE:NFL News

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE:NFL News Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE:NFL News - 8/21/2007 7:52:26 PM   
Toby Stumbo

Chiefs | L. Johnson agrees to six-year deal Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:09:08 -0700 Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Kansas City Chiefs and RB Larry Johnson have agreed in principle on a six-year deal. Financial terms are still not available, but it is believed Johnson will become one of the three highest-paid backs in the league. He is expected to join the team Tuesday, Aug. 21.
Post #: 76
RE:NFL News - 8/21/2007 11:52:37 PM   
Jim Frenette

Three Cheers to Jeff Fisher. :beer: :beer: :beer: He was just on Pardon The Interuption and the first question was about Mike Vick. He declined to talk about that because has been said already and it wasn't his place. Then they wanted him to rehash Pac Man. Again he declined saying the team has moved on and he would be willing to discuss the players that are replacing him. Then Tony said can I assume he will never play for you again? Jeff told him to assume what ever he wanted. Do these people even think before they ask questions? Vick has nothing to do with the Titans.
Post #: 77
RE:NFL News - 8/22/2007 3:21:42 AM   
John Childress

Good job I can't stand those guys
Post #: 78
RE:NFL News - 8/22/2007 5:48:38 PM   
Jim Frenette

[quote="John Childress"]Good job I can't stand those guys[/quote] Me either lately. Tony will come up with statements like "I know the Vikings don't want to start the season with Jackson as their QB" and I start saying to myself, where would he get inside info like that? He doesn't show any creditability at all. BTW, I just used that statement, he never did. Just an example of how he phrases things.
Post #: 79
RE:NFL News - 8/22/2007 7:10:45 PM   
John Childress

Football analysis took a real bad turn for the worse a few years ago when the producers decided to gear it towards non-football experts. That led to jokers like Limpbaugh and Miller then to wise guys like Kornheiser. Remember the days of analysts like Hank Stram who actually knew football?
Post #: 80
RE:NFL News - 8/22/2007 7:39:42 PM   
El Duderino

I tell you what, I have to say that I really enjoy Troy Aikman. He knows what he's talking about, doesn't take over the broadcast with stupid stories, makes his points and moves on, all while putting up with having to work with a major league mother-Buck-er. Get him a different play-by-play guy, and you have a fantastic broadcast team. As for in-the-studio guys, I think there are some damn good ones (Tom Jackson leaps to the top of my head, but I also generally, though not always, like Jaworski.) But, yeah, there are a lot of people on TV talking about football that either don't know what they are talking about or don't know how to communicate the knowledge they obviously have.
Post #: 81
RE:NFL News - 8/22/2007 8:05:41 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Aikman was good until he lost me with "it's hard to get it up when your looking between your legs" :shock: Man, he's damn lucky I wasn't in that booth. I'm a total 5 year old boy when it comes to that stuff. They would have to fire me before I stopped throwing that in his face.
Post #: 82
RE:NFL News - 8/23/2007 5:37:09 AM   
John Childress

quote:

1. Daunte Culpepper, signed at the start of Raiders camp, is the team's best quarterback. The only question is whether he has enough time in the offense to become the starter. Culpepper moved well in scrambles. He threw the ball well out of three- and five-step drops. If anything, he proved his doctors and his statements were correct that he's medically sound less than two years following the repair of three knee ligaments. A good game this weekend could give Culpepper the starting job over Josh McCown, although coach Lane Kiffin reserves the right to start McCown for a couple weeks if Culpepper needs more time. Culpepper will make $3.2 million if he makes the roster, and he should. Here's a question, though. If the Raiders had put $3.2 million into the JaMarcus Russell negotiations, would Russell have been in camp? The Raiders signed Culpepper when he wasn't on the budget. Now, both sides have dug in, and Russell's holdout could go into the regular season. 2. The Chiefs got their fifth-round pick for new Dolphins QB Trent Green -- a fourth-rounder if he plays 70 percent of the downs -- but the trade process dragged on so long that Green is behind in learning Miami's offense. Green was named the starter by coach Cam Cameron despite two poor showings in the preseason. It's pretty clear Cameron added a lot to the offense since the days he was Green's quarterbacks coach in Washington. The Dolphins and Green are still trying to get on the same page. Plus, the offensive line is a work in progress, which makes Green look a little uncomfortable in the pocket. Everybody in the Dolphins' offense looks a half-step off. RB Ronnie Brown is running well, but he hasn't looked dominant. Receivers are settling into their routes. The Dolphins have to pick up the pace before the start of the regular season.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp07/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2986080
Post #: 83
RE:NFL News - 8/23/2007 8:45:11 AM   
[quote="John Childress"]Football analysis took a real bad turn for the worse a few years ago when the producers decided to gear it towards non-football experts. That led to jokers like Limpbaugh and Miller then to wise guys like Kornheiser. Remember the days of analysts like Hank Stram who actually knew football?[/quote] ********************************************************** Hopefully, before long, they'll realize the product they have is what sells. If they stopped catering to the casual fan, if such a thing exists, they'd enhance their product. As it is now, I can watch a game with no audio and be very entertained.
  Post #: 84
RE:NFL News - 8/23/2007 1:36:32 PM   
John Childress

You hit the nail on the head Stop dumbing down the telecasts
Post #: 85
RE:NFL News - 8/23/2007 1:56:27 PM   
Duane Sampson

-- Bettis Faked Injury to Avoid Being Cut in 2001 -- Wed Aug 22, 2007 ESPN reports former Pittsburgh Steelers RB Jerome Bettis, in a new book to be published in early September, says he faked a training camp injury in 2000 to avoid getting cut by the team. The book, "The Bus. My Life in and out of a Helmet," includes an account where Bettis came into training camp with a knee that had been surgically repaired the previous summer. Bettis, fearing he would be cut if the team knew how much the knee was injured, didn't say anything. During a short-yardage drill at an early camp practice, Bettis fell down, grabbed his knee and yelled in pain. "Man, did I do a nice job of acting,'' Bettis wrote in the book, co-authored by ESPN.com national columnist Gene Wojciechowski. "The thing is, I wasn't faking that I had an injury. I was just faking that the injury happened on that short-yardage play. I had to fool the coaches and the team's medical department into thinking the injury had occurred on that play. Otherwise, the Steelers would have had their reason to cut me and my salary." Because Bettis was hurt in training camp, the Steelers couldn't release him. He was worried that the Steelers, and especially OC Kevin Gilbride, wanted to give his job to RB Richard Huntley. Bettis cited a story in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette which said that Huntley told his agent that Bettis would be cut. "I effectively negated any funny business they were trying to pull on me," Bettis wrote. "I took the pressure off a head coach who was probably trying to get rid of me. "In my mind," Bettis wrote, "what I did was justifiable because the original injury occurred while I was playing for the Steelers." He rushed for 1,341 yards in the 2000 season. Five years later, he was on Pittsburgh's Super Bowl winning team and then retired.
Post #: 86
RE:NFL News - 8/23/2007 2:06:41 PM   
Duane Sampson

-- Hines Ward Doesn't Recall Bettis' Fake Injury -- Thu Aug 23, 2007 The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports Steelers WR Hines Ward, who was one of RB Jerome Bettis' closest friends on the team, said he doesn't recall a situation where the former Steelers running back faked an injury in 2000 because he felt threatened about losing a roster spot to RB Richard Huntley. Ward, who joined the Steelers in 1998, two years after Bettis was acquired in a draft-day trade, said his former teammate was always being challenged for a starting job by other running backs, including Huntley and RB Duce Staley, and even lost his starting job for a brief period to RB Amos Zereoue. "For the last couple years of Jerome's career, it was always something, especially playing running back, whether it was you're getting too old or Richard came in ... RB Amos Zereoue, everyone was high on him when we went to the spread offense. He was our feature guy. Jerome was always in the mix, but I always felt there was a spot for Jerome. You can't coach the leadership and intangibles he had, on and off the field." But in his new autobiography, "The Bus. My Life in and out of a Helmet," Bettis said he faked an injury in training camp that year so he wouldn't be cut from the roster in favor of Huntley, who turned down a $2 million signing bonus from the Miami Dolphins to remain with the Steelers. "Maybe he felt threatened that way," Ward said. "He saw the team evolving to more of a passing team, to a more speedier running back who was good after the catch. But, at the end of the day, when we needed to go where we wanted, we had to rely on Jerome to run the ball, especially the year we won the Super Bowl. Those last four games that year, he carried this team and it started with that Chicago game. We, as players, we all feel threatened once in our career, to a draft pick, or through what people say. That year with Richard Huntley, if he felt that way, he put in three, four, five more good years after that. I don't buy into that."
Post #: 87
RE:NFL News - 8/23/2007 2:29:36 PM   
Trekgeekscott

"I couldn't have asked for a better opportunity,'' Harrington said. "This is the most talented team that I've played on...." Joey Harrington commenting on his opportunity to start now that Michael Vick is out of the picture. Of course saying this is the most talented team he's played on isn't really saying much...considering the other teams he's played on are DETROIT and MIAMI....
Post #: 88
RE:NFL News - 8/23/2007 3:08:17 PM   
Lynn G.

quote:

-- Bettis Faked Injury to Avoid Being Cut in 2001 --
quote:

I had to fool the coaches and the team's medical department into thinking the injury had occurred on that play.
We're supposed to believe that the team's medical staff couldn't tell that he'd had surgery on that knee? Where did they get their training?
Post #: 89
RE:NFL News - 8/23/2007 5:55:39 PM   
El Duderino

[quote="Jeff Jesser"]Aikman was good until he lost me with "it's hard to get it up when your looking between your legs" :shock: Man, he's damn lucky I wasn't in that booth. I'm a total 5 year old boy when it comes to that stuff. They would have to fire me before I stopped throwing that in his face.[/quote] The thing is, their job is to talk for 4 hours. That's a lot of talking. I can't talk for five minutes without saying something that sounds dumb, so I will cut some slack on the occasional flub. The thing is, he will give actual analysis of plays and reads and the like, and usually doesn't resort to things like "He just wanted that ball more than the other guy" or what not. Now, if he starts making a habit of saying stupid crap, I will change my opinion. But compared to all the other bums out there doing "analysis", he is head, shoulders, and waist above them.
Post #: 90
RE:NFL News - 8/23/2007 8:48:50 PM   
osure

I like Aikman, it seems like he has good insight on what is going on other than the obvious. and doesn't have to draw a x or a o like madden
Post #: 91
RE:NFL News - 8/23/2007 9:03:28 PM   
Jeff Jesser

You're right Dude. I was just being silly as that comment made me LMAO. Like I said, I'm a total little boy when it comes to that kind of potty humor. My issue, not his. One of the best ever was when Dick Endberg and ?? were doing commentary for a Bronco's game a couple years ago. Griese was the QB and the guy that was along side Endberg said "blah blah blah....Brian Griesy Dick". The problem was that he didn't pause to indicate that he was talking to a man named "Dick". In fact, all he did was call BG "Brian Greasy Dick". :lol:
Post #: 92
RE:NFL News - 8/23/2007 9:04:31 PM   
Jeff Jesser

probably not as funny when you read that but trust me, it was a classic. We went nuts laughing at that one.
Post #: 93
RE:NFL News - 8/23/2007 9:18:19 PM   
Toby Stumbo

I think that was Brian's nickname in college. :beer:
Post #: 94
RE:NFL News - 8/23/2007 9:36:01 PM   
El Duderino

[quote="Jeff Jesser"]You're right Dude. I was just being silly as that comment made me LMAO. Like I said, I'm a total little boy when it comes to that kind of potty humor. My issue, not his. One of the best ever was when Dick Endberg and ?? were doing commentary for a Bronco's game a couple years ago. Griese was the QB and the guy that was along side Endberg said "blah blah blah....Brian Griesy Dick". The problem was that he didn't pause to indicate that he was talking to a man named "Dick". In fact, all he did was call BG "Brian Greasy Dick". :lol:[/quote] No, that is funny! :lol:
Post #: 95
RE:NFL News - 8/25/2007 7:52:37 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Pats looked very good last night. Maroney returned and had a good night. New Daddy Tom Brady completed 17 of 21 passes for 167 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions, leading the Patriots (1-2) on three scoring drives in their best offensive showing of the preseason. Colts/Pats/Chargers gonna make the AFC one hell of a league this year.
Post #: 96
RE:NFL News - 8/26/2007 1:14:06 AM   
John Childress

[quote="So.Mn.Fan"]Pats looked very good last night. Maroney returned and had a good night. New Daddy Tom Brady completed 17 of 21 passes for 167 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions, leading the Patriots (1-2) on three scoring drives in their best offensive showing of the preseason. Colts/Pats/Chargers gonna make the AFC one hell of a league this year.[/quote] I can't see the Chargers in the mix. That coaching staff is too unsettled. I can't see the Pats losing barring an injury to Brady Adalius was a huge pickup
Post #: 97
RE:NFL News - 8/26/2007 1:17:25 AM   
So.Mn.Fan

[quote="John Childress"][quote="So.Mn.Fan"]Pats looked very good last night. Maroney returned and had a good night. New Daddy Tom Brady completed 17 of 21 passes for 167 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions, leading the Patriots (1-2) on three scoring drives in their best offensive showing of the preseason. Colts/Pats/Chargers gonna make the AFC one hell of a league this year.[/quote] I can't see the Chargers in the mix. That coaching staff is too unsettled. I can't see the Pats losing barring an injury to Brady Adalius was a huge pickup[/quote] Hear you on that JC. Good point. Worst move of the off-season, imo. Never understand the love for that guy, who has failed at the big job before. Even despite him, that could be a scary team however. Tough road to the SB in that conference.
Post #: 98
RE:NFL News - 8/26/2007 2:30:59 AM   
John Childress

[quote="Duane Sampson"]-- Rice Angry at Release -- Fri Jul 27, 2007 The Tampa Tribune reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers GM Bruce Allen said DE Simeon Rice was cut Thursday evening because he failed a physical. Rice injured his left shoulder last season and had surgery, but according to team doctors, Rice was not ready to play. In an interview with Tribune reporter Ira Kaufman, Rice admitted he was not at 100 percent, but was befuddled and angry about his release. Bucs LB Derrick Brooks was reportedly see walking Rice to his car after the release and was in near tears. Rice was at no loss for words when asked about his release from the Bucs. “The next step is to let my body heal up and then I’m gonna come back like a maniac,” said Rice, who was on his way to Chicago Thursday evening. “I’m an ageless wonder, and I want to play for someone who will respect me. “I’m the most consistent thing they ever had over there in Tampa. I played two games more than I had to with one arm. I’m not right yet, but I’ll be right in three or four weeks. “I know one thing: they got a lot of big shoes to fill right now in Tampa.” I hope the Bears don't pick him up.[/quote]Did anyone sign him?
Post #: 99
RE:NFL News - 8/27/2007 3:01:59 PM   
Duane Sampson

Denver is serious but nothing on Rice yet.
Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE:NFL News Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode