Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: College Football (Future Vikings!)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  109 110 [111] 112 113   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/18/2015 8:40:00 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

Is there at least an audio version?

Can be obtained for a mere $500Gs (special price, just for you)

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2751
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/18/2015 8:40:45 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: hagar

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

So far I have saved 30,000 of the 220,000 it will cost if I pay for my two sons to go to college.

I counted on my two boys getting athletic scholarships.
Its right there in the "SMF Life Plan", right next to the section on "Relying on the PowerBall to meet your retirement needs".

Anyone interested in a copy of "SMF Life Plan", they are still available.
PM me your address, along with your payment-type choice.
Hard-cover copies sell for $2mil, soft-covered for $1.5mil.
Order now. Supplies are limited.

Is there a Cliff Notes available?

In the works, man.
Just haggling over covering the costs right now.
Thinking $250Gs?

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2752
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/18/2015 8:42:07 PM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

Is there at least an audio version?

Can be obtained for a mere $500Gs (special price, just for you)

Will you throw in a lemon meringue pie at least?

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 2753
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/18/2015 8:45:58 PM   
SoMnFan

No prob
Will have to add a small $100G "shipping and handling fee", however.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2754
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/18/2015 8:47:42 PM   
djskillz

Let me consult with my finances/attorney guy Pete M. first.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 2755
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/18/2015 8:49:52 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

Let me consult with my finances/attorney guy Pete M. first.

Lets leave him out of this please .....

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2756
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/23/2015 1:34:48 AM   
McMurfy

Awful lot of Big 10 and Pac-12 players Dustin, plus, oops, more starters from Oregon than from any other school.
#SECHONK

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24984894/infographic-oregon-boasts-most-super-bowl-49-starters

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 2757
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/23/2015 9:08:07 AM   
djskillz

Pretty small sample size, man. I did find this interesting last week. Take the obvious SEC bias out of the context and just look at the actual chart. Pretty interesting. Miami is still king, but the SEC is still the king conference wrt NFL talent:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/the-sec-is-king-of-the-pro-bowl-011615

Post #: 2758
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/27/2015 9:18:41 PM   
djskillz

This is pretty crazy:

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Texas-could-finish-with-nations-No-2-recruiting-class-35102541

I've never been a Texas guy in pretty much anything, but I have immense respect for Charlie Strong and hope he turns the program around for his sake.

Post #: 2759
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 2/5/2015 10:58:38 PM   
djskillz

Not surprising, but pretty fascinating nonetheless:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/top-ten-signing-classes-are-necessary-for-national-titles-020515

Post #: 2760
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 2/6/2015 12:15:57 AM   
McMurfy

quote:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/top-ten-signing-classes-are-necessary-for-national-titles-020515

On the other hand, Oregon has never had a Top 15 class and played in two title games and also has the best record in the past 10 years of D-1 Football.

Clearly they have not won it all.

Post #: 2761
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 2/6/2015 8:52:54 AM   
djskillz

Shows how good the scheme is, probably. But even that kind of is the exception that proves the rule, wouldn't you say, Murf? I'd like to see if the runner-ups fit the same criteria. I bet they do for the most part (save Oregon).

Post #: 2762
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 2/7/2015 7:55:39 AM   
eagleflorida

All this shows me is that for the most part the most successful college teams continually seem to get the cream of the h.s. crop. i.e. success breeds success and all others be damned. Kinda lacking in fairness to all those other college team IMO. YMMV of course
Post #: 2763
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 2/8/2015 8:36:19 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: eagleflorida

All this shows me is that for the most part the most successful college teams continually seem to get the cream of the h.s. crop. i.e. success breeds success and all others be damned. Kinda lacking in fairness to all those other college team IMO. YMMV of course

True. But I don't see it ever changing.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2764
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 2/8/2015 8:44:15 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

quote:

On the other hand, Oregon has never had a Top 15 class and played in two title games and also has the best record in the past 10 years of D-1 Football.

One thing it does do is it makes Oregon as easy team to root for.

I think if they continue to be in the hunt their recruit ranking will be on the rise.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2765
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 2/8/2015 11:41:06 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

That would be illogical.
Post #: 2766
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 2/9/2015 7:57:41 AM   
eagleflorida

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

That would be illogical.

I agree bigo.

IIRC, just a few years ago, USC was able to recruit in one year 10 of the top 100 recruits in the country. That's 10 % of the elite h.s. players going to a single team. And if you look at this year's signings you will see yet again most of the top h.s. players signing with the perennial college powerhouses. Just doesn't seem right to me.
Post #: 2767
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 2/9/2015 9:56:14 AM   
djskillz

quote:

quote:

Right. It's not really different in other sports, or life for that matter.

Post #: 2768
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 2/9/2015 9:59:32 AM   
djskillz

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think if they continue to be in the hunt their recruit ranking will be on the rise.

I doubt it, Bill. They've been a very good program for 10-15 years now and have an exciting offense, and it still hasn't translated. I think they'll just always be at a recruiting disadvantage to teams like USC, etc., regionally. There's just not as much talent in the Northwest to pull from (partly due to just sheer population, partly due to football's place in sports, etc.) compared to a lot of other places. The south, Texas, Ohio, and California will always have huge advantages in recruiting because there's just more HS talent in those areas in football.

I'm sure Murf can correct me on this, but IMO Oregon's strengths will always be 1) Nike connection and its money/marketing, 2) the facilities (which stem from #1) which are top notch, and 3) the system itself. But I'm not sure we'll see them ever suddenly reeling in top 10 classes each year. They can still compete and overcome that in other ways, as they have.

< Message edited by djskillz -- 2/9/2015 11:14:04 AM >

Post #: 2769
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 2/9/2015 10:04:02 AM   
djskillz

It's a cycle of money in the end. The schools with the biggest traditions have the biggest boosters, for the most part, and can pull in the biggest, most dynamic coaches. And coaches are what in the end make recruiting work. And I'm not just talking head coaches, but also their staffs, which are a big part of recruiting. If you have money it goes a long way. Bielema has said one of the reasons he left Wisconsin for Arkansas is that his staff gets DOUBLE what it got there. That makes a big difference. The SEC teams have a ton of money from their TV contracts and support, and teams like Michigan/Ohio State/Texas/USC also do, so recruiting usually is going to flow from that. Another thing is TV exposure for recruits. The Pac12 is starting to do a better job getting a national focus on its games by changing game times, etc., and the playoff will help for further national exposure, but it's still at a disadvantage compared to most of the country for television exposure to these 16-18 year old kids, and younger when their fandom is developing. USC is a glaring exception this, but they're probably the top program in the country from a pure advantage standpoint and they're in LA, with no pro football team. Texas is a similar story.

Post #: 2770
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 2/9/2015 11:42:38 AM   
McMurfy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I doubt it, Bill. They've been a very good program for 10-15 years now and have an exciting offense, and it still hasn't translated. I think they'll just always be at a recruiting disadvantage to teams like USC, etc., regionally. There's just not as much talent in the Northwest to pull from (partly due to just sheer population, partly due to football's place in sports, etc.) compared to a lot of other places. The south, Texas, Ohio, and California will always have huge advantages in recruiting because there's just more HS talent in those areas in football.

I'm sure Murf can correct me on this, but IMO Oregon's strengths will always be 1) Nike connection and its money/marketing, 2) the facilities (which stem from #1) which are top notch, and 3) the system itself. But I'm not sure we'll see them ever suddenly reeling in top 10 classes each year. They can still compete and overcome that in other ways, as they have.

I agree with all of this, but you left out #5, tradition.
Not tradition like me as a 40 year old knows, but tradition to a 14-18 year old.
All that age group has ever known is a Top10 school, year in and year out, an exciting offense, they win most of their games, and they've played for the title twice.

One other note,
Oregon was tied for Top -10 in most NFL players last year, and
and this is big,
They had more defensive than offensive players in the NFL.

Post #: 2771
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 2/9/2015 12:31:55 PM   
SoMnFan

That's a very interesting fact Murf

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2772
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 2/9/2015 1:22:22 PM   
djskillz

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree with all of this, but you left out #5, tradition.
Not tradition like me as a 40 year old knows, but tradition to a 14-18 year old.
All that age group has ever known is a Top10 school, year in and year out, an exciting offense, they win most of their games, and they've played for the title twice.

One other note,
Oregon was tied for Top -10 in most NFL players last year, and
and this is big,
They had more defensive than offensive players in the NFL.

True, Murf. Those are solid points. I guess I just feel their regional disadvantage is always going to be big. Football's just a lot bigger in the South, SoCal, Texas, and Ohio/Michigan. That may change some, but it's always going to effect at some level because sometimes loyalties are formed at a young age. If you're a kid from Louisiana, chances are your parents are big LSU fans, or Bama/Miss/Ga/UT, etc. Same for USC or Texas/Texas A&M. And I guess I just feel that they've already been on top for a while now (10 years or so) so what else do they have to do to gain? But maybe so. Like I said, either way it's impressive that they've found a way to overcome.

Post #: 2773
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 2/9/2015 2:15:36 PM   
McMurfy

In an interesting development, Oregon just received word that Vernon Adams will transfer up, from Eastern Washington for his Senior Year to compete to play QB at Oregon.
Highlights here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YXZRL9I6Hzw

Adams also had interest from UCLA and Texas.

On a side note, straight out of a Disney movie,
Oregon opens up the season at home against......

Easten Washington.

Come on Disney movie parallel, have Adams lead us to a title!

Post #: 2774
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 2/10/2015 7:50:57 AM   
bohumm

College football is an ugly fukking BUSINESS. Entertaining, but right there with the NFL and the Mafia in terms of corrupt practices.

Exhibit A: Bobby Petrino
Post #: 2775
Page:   <<   < prev  109 110 [111] 112 113   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  109 110 [111] 112 113   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode