Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: College Football (Future Vikings!)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  153 154 [155] 156 157   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 6/22/2021 12:07:31 PM   
kgdabom

Paying college players would make college sports a complete joke. Supposedly they are there to get an education. People that want to play for pay shouldn't be in college sports. They should be in professional sports. There should be a difference.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3851
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 6/22/2021 12:18:11 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

Paying college players would make college sports a complete joke. Supposedly they are there to get an education. People that want to play for pay shouldn't be in college sports. They should be in professional sports. There should be a difference.

A lot of them are there for a college education and the only way they get there is via sports. But there are those that are and have been there solely due to their athletic ability. And they get very little education while they are there... just biding their time until they can "go pro".

Paying them wont change a thing except how the bigger colleges will recruit now....

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 3852
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 6/22/2021 12:19:46 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Are there any restrictions(ceilings) in paying college players now? I hope so or the 'have nots' are screwed. They kind of are anyway but once in a while a UFC or a Utah would make a run.

Now it is a Battle of the Donors.

I think this could be a can of worms that best not be opened up. It is sickening to see the big schools making millions off these kids but I only think allowing them to do endorsements will only benefit a small number of athletes.

Just like it does in the pros. It's amazing that everyone loves capitalism except as it applies to big-time college sports.

Your taking money away from wealthy white men running the colleges and giving it into mostly minority athletes; of course there going to be an outcry from some in this country.

I don't think those wealthy men are too worried. Actually it is a load off of their minds. Don't have to be crooked now. They can just do it out in the open.
Post #: 3853
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 6/22/2021 12:22:03 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

Are there any restrictions(ceilings) in paying college players now? I hope so or the 'have nots' are screwed. They kind of are anyway but once in a while a UFC or a Utah would make a run.

Now it is a Battle of the Donors.

I think this could be a can of worms that best not be opened up. It is sickening to see the big schools making millions off these kids but I only think allowing them to do endorsements will only benefit a small number of athletes.

Just like it does in the pros. It's amazing that everyone loves capitalism except as it applies to big-time college sports.

Pay them. That's fine.

But, even the Pros have salary caps to keep things somewhat fair.
Post #: 3854
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 6/22/2021 12:23:50 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

A lot of them are there for a college education and the only way they get there is via sports. But there are those that are and have been there solely due to their athletic ability. And they get very little education while they are there... just biding their time until they can "go pro".

Paying them wont change a thing except how the bigger colleges will recruit now....

Do the Gophers have big time donors? This could be their chance to play with the big boys.

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 6/22/2021 12:25:50 PM >
Post #: 3855
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 6/22/2021 12:31:35 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

Professional sports should establish a "minor league" similar to baseball for those players who want to get paid and don't care about the education, similar to baseball.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 3856
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 6/22/2021 12:44:07 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

quote:

Professional sports should establish a "minor league" similar to baseball for those players who want to get paid and don't care about the education, similar to baseball.

Yep.

College campuses will be interesting. Football and basketball players driving new Dodge Challengers, living in nice apartments while Lacrosse and Soccer teams live in dorms riding bikes to class and work study.
Post #: 3857
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 6/22/2021 1:03:04 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep.

College campuses will be interesting. Football and basketball players driving new Dodge Challengers, living in nice apartments while Lacrosse and Soccer teams live in dorms riding bikes to class and work study.

College campuses already have that dynamic. Some kids have wealthy parents and most don't.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 3858
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 6/22/2021 3:26:50 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3859
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 6/22/2021 3:29:19 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep.

College campuses already have that dynamic. Some kids have wealthy parents and most don't.

I owned a car and didn't use it when I went to SCSU. I liked riding bike to school and around the campus. I lived in a dorm at first, but got a live in job for my last few years.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3860
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 6/22/2021 3:51:49 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep.

Good point.
Post #: 3861
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 6/23/2021 9:28:43 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep.

I owned a car and didn't use it when I went to SCSU. I liked riding bike to school and around the campus. I lived in a dorm at first, but got a live in job for my last few years.

I went to SCSU for about six months (Case-Hill Hall). Turns out they don't care for guys with a GPA under 1.0. Went home and checked myself into treatment right afterwards. Never had a problem getting around town to have fun. Most things (bars) were within walking distance. One of the greatest six months I don't remember.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 3862
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 6/23/2021 9:52:43 AM   
ronhextall

Might hurt lesser sports in a chain of events...

Car dealer pays a few players big money instead of generic contributions to the athletic department and all of a sudden the cross country / lacrosse / track program doesn't have it so good.

It is what it is.

IMO the biggest bonus of being a Power 5 Conference athlete is the tutoring / academic support (that is worth its weight in gold).
Post #: 3863
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 6/23/2021 12:49:08 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep.

I went to SCSU for about six months (Case-Hill Hall). Turns out they don't care for guys with a GPA under 1.0. Went home and checked myself into treatment right afterwards. Never had a problem getting around town to have fun. Most things (bars) were within walking distance. One of the greatest six months I don't remember.

Sounds like my first stab at college even though it wasn't SCSU. They were very positive about it though. They said..."we encourage you not to return". Wound up in treatment a few years later as well.

No wonder we piss each other off.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 3864
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 6/23/2021 1:09:01 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep.

Sounds like my first stab at college even though it wasn't SCSU. They were very positive about it though. They said..."we encourage you not to return". Wound up in treatment a few years later as well.

My first time at SCSU was bars every night. A lot of woman chasing very little success. I never set foot in the Library. I dropped out before they kicked me out with a 1.86 GPA. Returned 27 years later and ended up gradating with honors with a 3.66 GPA. My entire family kids, grandkids, mother, stepfather, Brothers and Sister came from all over the country for my graduation. One of the greatest and proudest days of my life.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3865
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 6/23/2021 1:45:58 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep.

My first time at SCSU was bars every night. A lot of woman chasing very little success. I never set foot in the Library. I dropped out before they kicked me out with a 1.86 GPA. Returned 27 years later and ended up gradating with honors with a 3.66 GPA. My entire family kids, grandkids, mother, stepfather, Brothers and Sister came from all over the country for my graduation. One of the greatest and proudest days of my life.

Weren't you in a commercial for that?
Post #: 3866
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 6/23/2021 2:02:12 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep.

Me three. I lasted a little over two years at Wisconsin-Madison, left for rehab with the intent to return to school in a couple of months. I graduated from the U six and a half years later.
Post #: 3867
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 6/23/2021 2:52:30 PM   
Bill Jandro

What a bunch of lightweights

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 3868
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 6/23/2021 9:18:34 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep.

Weren't you in a commercial for that?

I've been on the news and in a news magazine, but never in a commercial that I'm aware of.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 3869
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/5/2021 8:28:43 AM   
Brad H

UCLA 38, LSU 27

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 3870
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/5/2021 9:41:27 AM   
Mark Anderson

6 FCS teams beat FBS teams this weekend.

Transfer portal has helped the FCS get stronger.
Post #: 3871
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/5/2021 9:59:38 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep.

Me three. I lasted a little over two years at Wisconsin-Madison, left for rehab with the intent to return to school in a couple of months. I graduated from the U six and a half years later.

Three great stories! Thank you!

I was kicked out of Westmar College in LeMars during interim, after the first semester, for being in the girls dorms after hours one too many times - obviously drunk. Waited till I was 28 to go to treatment and get back into college
Post #: 3872
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/6/2021 12:34:12 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep.

Considering that, you seem a little weak on tolerance for other people's views.

< Message edited by thebigo -- 9/6/2021 1:06:40 AM >
Post #: 3873
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/6/2021 11:40:47 AM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep.

Noted. I'll see where I can do better, and I'll hold lines that I think are important. But I'm sure I can do better.
Post #: 3874
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 9/6/2021 5:12:42 PM  1 votes
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep.

Noted. I'll see where I can do better, and I'll hold lines that I think are important. But I'm sure I can do better.

Thems fightin' wor.... Hey wait! I expect we can all do better.
Post #: 3875
Page:   <<   < prev  153 154 [155] 156 157   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  153 154 [155] 156 157   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode