Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: MLB General Information PT 4

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/3/2013 11:41:43 AM   
sixthwi

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

When you have money to burn.........

The Dodgers have designated Carlos Marmol for assignment, according to Peter Gammons of the MLB Network (on Twitter). Gammons reports that the Dodgers were only interested in the international bonus slot they acquired in the deal, not in retaining Marmol as a member of their bullpen.

What a joke.  They better fix that or it's gonna turn into the NBA (acquiring expiring contracts, etc.).

No kidding.  The Bucks just got two 2nd round picks for J.J. Redick in a sign and trade deal when Redick was an unrestricted free agent.  How assinine is that.

The generation who would change the world is still looking for its car keys.
Post #: 101
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/3/2013 12:02:41 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: sixthwi

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

When you have money to burn.........

The Dodgers have designated Carlos Marmol for assignment, according to Peter Gammons of the MLB Network (on Twitter). Gammons reports that the Dodgers were only interested in the international bonus slot they acquired in the deal, not in retaining Marmol as a member of their bullpen.

What a joke.  They better fix that or it's gonna turn into the NBA (acquiring expiring contracts, etc.).

No kidding.  The Bucks just got two 2nd round picks for J.J. Redick in a sign and trade deal when Redick was an unrestricted free agent.  How assinine is that.

It's called bend over and get something before he's gone. Bleh.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 102
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/3/2013 1:32:14 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Papeldouche once again opens mouth inserts foot.
Says Puig doesn't belong in AS game
He's been a huge story the first half. Put him in.
Funniest part ... PD calls him a part-time player.
Yep, just like you, one-inning-a-night idiot.

Puig's one of the main reasons LAD is now only a few out of first, after being left for dead a month ago.

44 hits in his first calendar month in the bigs. only 1 player w/more all-time.

Joe DiMaggio(46)

Escape while you can!
Post #: 103
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/3/2013 1:39:26 PM   
Zoilo

Putting a player in the all star game after only a month is a slap in the face to players that have earned that recognition over time.

Z
Post #: 104
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/4/2013 10:00:32 PM   
Steve Lentz

I see Cuddyer hit another HR tonight.
You begin to wonder why so many players find more success elsewhere?

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 105
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/4/2013 11:16:36 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 106
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/6/2013 2:00:24 AM   
SoMnFan

I think I saw Luis Tiant do this once when I was a kid.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RVeo6QMcbW4

Maybe not ....

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 107
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/6/2013 6:33:11 AM   
Mr. Ed

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Q_A_with_Terry_Ryan_Struggling_Twins_going_in_the_wrong_direction070513

Lots of blunt and to the point answers.

Should be better, blah,blah,blah.

Guess what? The team you put together isn't working under Ronnie.
Neither did last year's mess.
Or the year before.

Is there a pattern? Ummm, Nah, just coincidence.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 108
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/6/2013 6:45:00 AM   
SoMnFan

That's the first and only interview I've read or seen where the leaders of this org are actually put on the spot a little bit.
Thank you Doogie.
Its a start at least.
You could feel TRs uncomfy-ness come right thru the screen.
Its pathetic that architects of three 100-loss seasons are prickly about media pressure. Pathetic.
Your booth would be getting egged in most cities, TR.
It would get fire-bombed in a couple.
I've said it for years .... managing/owning/running a team in Minnesota doesn't prepare you at all for the real world of professional sports.
Its a mythical fairyland where failure is excused and mild success is overblown.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 109
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/6/2013 6:49:19 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

That's the first and only interview I've read or seen where the leaders of this org are actually put on the spot a little bit.
Thank you Doogie.
Its a start at least.
You could feel TRs uncomfy-ness come right thru the screen.
Its pathetic that architects of three 100-loss seasons are prickly about media pressure. Pathetic.
Your booth would be getting egged in most cities, TR.
It would get fire-bombed in a couple.
I've said it for years .... managing/owning/running a team in Minnesota doesn't prepare you at all for the real world of professional sports.
Its a mythical fairyland where failure is excused and mild success is overblown.

That's the feeling I got too. TRyan wasn't too comfy about the whole deal.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 110
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/6/2013 9:07:38 AM   
Mr. Ed

Delmon Young explaining his hot streak: “I would have been batting 1.000 except for the strikeouts if there were no fielders out there.”

Escape while you can!
Post #: 111
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/6/2013 4:00:31 PM   
Zoilo

quote:

I think part of the reason is that success tends to draw tv coverage, while players that leave and fail are forgotten.

Z
Post #: 112
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/6/2013 7:06:49 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zoilo

quote:

I think part of the reason is that success tends to draw tv coverage, while players that leave and fail are forgotten.

I would agree with that somewhat. It 's just looking at Cuddyer, Gomez, Liriano, Hardy etc. that make it so hard to swallow.

Post #: 113
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/6/2013 8:03:30 PM   
SoMnFan

Congrats to my boyee JJ Hardy.
Well-deserved AS nod at shortstop
Overcame severe speed deficiencies I guess.
That's what some genius told me was his problem, anyway .... I guess I should defer to real baseball minds when dealing with this stuff.
Cuddy, Liriano, Gomez .... also all deserving.
But lets just keep listening to these Twins baseball minds. They obviously know better.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 114
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/6/2013 9:51:06 PM   
SoMnFan

How well are things going for the Pittsburgh Pirates? Just check out the no-look, between-the-legs grab by Francisco Liriano in the ninth inning of their 6-2 victory over the Chicago Cubs on Friday afternoon.
There's your answer.
The incredible play helped Liriano punctuate the Pirates first complete game of the season, which is difficult to believe considering the pitching success they've enjoyed to this point. For Liriano, it was only the second complete game in 152 career starts. The first, of course, was a his no-hitter against the Chicago White Sox back on May 3, 2011 as a member of the Minnesota Twins.
After the Cubs touched him for two runs on Scott Hairston's second inning home run, the 29-year-old left-hander had to buckle down and battle hard to finish it off. When all was said and done, Liriano walked four, allowed four hits and struck out seven on a season-high 111 pitches.
Had it not been for the marvelous snag that started the ninth inning, manager Clint Hurdle likely would have been motivated to take the ball out of Liriano's hand and give it to one of his relievers. As it was, Liriano made the play and then breezed through the next two hitters to finish it off. Through 12 starts after returning from a broken right arm suffered while playing with his kids on Christmas Day, he's 8-3 with a 2.20.
Indeed, things are going quite well for the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 115
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/6/2013 10:38:38 PM   
SoMnFan

Oh yeah ... Jesse Crain and Joe Nathan join the list of former Twins-now-All-Stars as well.
Congrats boys.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 116
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/7/2013 5:53:27 PM   
Stacey King

Post #: 117
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/8/2013 11:20:25 PM   
SoMnFan

Interesting Grantland stuff from Keri ...

The 30: Four Teams. Four Strategies.
Subtle trades, freewheeling spending, and international sneakiness are driving the Dodgers, Yankees, Cubs, and O's
By Jonah Keri on July 8, 2013
Three teams dip into the trade market, while another gets the highly coveted Kevin endorsement. It's Week 14 of The 30.
Many of the stats and facts below are courtesy of the indispensable ESPN Stats & Info.
10. BALTIMORE ORIOLES
Scott Feldman might not look all that exciting, given his career 4.65 ERA and consistently below-average strikeout rates. But by acquiring the 30-year-old right-hander last week, the O's helped themselves more than you'd think. Consider the following:

THE 30 RANKINGS, WEEK 14

(Bold for profiled teams)
1. Boston Red Sox, 54-36 (+89 run differential) (last week: 1)
2. St. Louis Cardinals, 53-34 (+122) (LW: 2)
3. Oakland A's, 52-37 (+63) (LW: 6)
4. Texas Rangers, 51-37 (+27) (LW: 5)
5. Pittsburgh Pirates, 53-34 (+42) (LW: 3)
6. Detroit Tigers, 48-39 (+90) (LW: 9)
7. Cincinnati Reds, 50-38 (+60) (LW: 7)
8. Atlanta Braves, 50-38 (+76) (LW: 4)
9. Tampa Bay Rays, 49-40 (+47) (LW: 10)
10. Baltimore Orioles, 49-40 (+25) (LW: 8)
11. New York Yankees, 48-40 (+0) (LW: 14)
12. Arizona Diamondbacks, 47-41 (+21) (LW: 12)
13. Washington Nationals, 46-42 (-10) (LW: 13)
14. Cleveland Indians, 46-42 (+16) (LW: 11)
15. Los Angeles Dodgers, 42-45 (-31) (LW: 17)
16. Toronto Blue Jays, 43-45 (-6) (LW: 15)
17. Los Angeles Angels, 43-45 (+2) (LW: 16)
18. Kansas City Royals, 41-44 (+4) (LW: 20)
19. San Francisco Giants, 40-47 (-41) (LW: 18)
20. Philadelphia Phillies, 43-46 (-47) (LW: 22)
21. Colorado Rockies, 42-47 (+0) (LW: 19)
22. Chicago Cubs, 38-48 (-10) (LW: 23)
23. San Diego Padres, 40-49 (-48) (LW: 21)
24. Seattle Mariners, 39-49 (-63) (LW: 26)
25. New York Mets, 37-48 (-36) (LW: 25)
26. Minnesota Twins, 37-48 (-47) (LW: 24)
27. Chicago White Sox, 34-51 (-60) (LW: 27)
28. Milwaukee Brewers, 35-52 (-64) (LW: 28)
29. Miami Marlins, 32-55 (-88) (LW: 29)
30. Houston Astros, 32-57 (-133) (LW: 30)

1. Feldman's a big upgrade over what they had. Because of injuries and ineffectiveness, Baltimore saw several lamentable pitchers make starts this year. Freddy Garcia (10 starts, 5.77 ERA, 6.75 FIP) was the primary villain, but Kevin Gausman, Josh Stinson, Jake Arrieta, and Zach Britton also combined to deliver sub-replacement-level results. If Feldman's a tick above average for the rest of the season, the O's have added at least one win over that stretch. Given how competitive the AL East wild-card races figure to be, that one win could prove to be a season-changer.
2. He'll likely end up being one of the best pitchers dealt before the deadline. Though it's possible the Dodgers could step up and absorb Cliff Lee's $25 million-a-year contract,6 the more likely scenario has Lee staying put, leaving the likes of Matt Garza and Jake Peavy as the biggest pitching names out there between now and July 31. Feldman's projected numbers over the second half of the season don't look much worse than those two, especially once you factor in Peavy being at least a couple of weeks away from coming off the disabled list.
3. Feldman's been a better pitcher in the past two and a half seasons. He has pumped up his swing-and-miss percentage, dropped his walk rate to career-low levels, and induced more ground balls than he has since serving exclusively as a relief pitcher in 2005-07. His first post-trade start with the Orioles was a typical 2013 Feldman performance: six innings, two runs, six hits, six strikeouts, no walks.
That outing gave Feldman nine quality starts on the year, including five in his past six starts. For a team that's getting MVP-caliber performances from both planet eater Chris Davis and Brooks Robinson 2.0 Manny Machado — but with a rotation that has put up some of the worst numbers in the game — those kinds of results from Feldman would certainly help. Throw in Chris Tillman allowing three runs or fewer in 13 of 14 starts before stumbling against the Yankees on Saturday, and the underrated Wei-Yin Chen due back from the DL on Tuesday, and suddenly the O's might have a respectable enough starting five to back their powerful lineup and guide them back to the playoffs.
Which is extremely good news, given that their closer has been battling the regression monster lately. Last year's nearly untouchable pen has turned into a decidedly mediocre group in 2013, with Jim Johnson's recent ninth-inning meltdowns being particularly frustrating.1819 Roto fans should consider a spec play on Tommy Hunter, and O's fans should pray for a trade for more help, particularly given the rotation's inability to go deep into games and the toll it's likely to take on the relief corps.

Jim McIsaac/Getty Images

11. NEW YORK YANKEES
The Yankees are the only team we're featuring this week that haven't made an impact trade — and for good reason. They could add more than most other clubs by doing something simpler: getting several key players healthy and back in the lineup.
If your Twitter feed was blowing up over the weekend with national writers suddenly taking an interest in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders, blame Derek Jeter. On Saturday, the 13-time All-Star24
25 played his first rehab game in the hometown of Dunder Mifflin's most prestigious regional office, going 0-for-2 with a walk and handling one chance at shortstop. Jeter's replacements at short this year — Eduardo Nunez, Jayson Nix, Reid Brignac, and friends — have been collectively awful, giving The Captain a chance to add a win or two to New York's record by season's end, even if he returns late and is a diminished version of his peak self.
It's perverse, but true: A horrific performance by more than half the lineup should have Yanks fans feeling optimistic about the rest of the season. Alex Rodriguez has started his rehab assignment, and while there's no way we should expect anything close to top A-Rod given the severity of his hip injury and his advancing age, all he has to do is be better than Nix, David Adams, Chris Nelson, and a broken-down Kevin Youkilis. Curtis Granderson is still having trouble gripping a bat, but the Yankees are hopeful that he can also make it back by month's end. The road back can be even tougher for rehabbing pitchers, particularly those who haven't thrown a pitch in the big leagues in a year and a half. But Michael Pineda has looked excellent in his minor league stint, and if he continues to excel in AAA, the Yankees will have to figure out a way to squeeze him into their rotation.
Pineda's return could improve what has already been one of the top pitching staffs in baseball. (Most notably, Ivan Nova has fared well since returning from the DL late last month, highlighted by an 11-strikeout masterpiece of a complete game against the Orioles on Friday.) A healthy Pineda would immediately make Phil Hughes expendable, or could enable the Yankees to trade one of the young, talented arms currently toiling in their bullpen for another bat. Add a six-game winning streak that kept them right in the thick of the wild-card race despite fierce competition, and things are looking positively, well, positive for the first time in a long time in the Bronx.
It's just another reminder that the lineup 5 through 9 may go Zoilo Almonte, Lyle Overbay, Luis Cruz, Eduardo Nunez, and Chris Stewart, but nothing, not even bubonic plague, can kill the Yankees.

Brad Mangin/MLB Photos/Getty Images

15. LOS ANGELES DODGERS
In December, we covered the Dodgers' "Curse of Plenty" — the manner in which teams with nearly unlimited money to spend and few good ways in which to spend it tend to make egregious mistakes. Andre Ethier's five-year, $85 million extension last year was about as sharp an example of this particular economic curse as you can find. Not only did the Dodgers overpay a deeply flawed player on the wrong side of 30, they also exacted a heavy opportunity cost by blocking themselves from dipping into a deep free-agent market for outfielders over the winter.
Ethier's decline has been worse than even the deal's biggest critics could have imagined, with the now-31-year-old outfielder on pace to set career lows in batting average, on-base percentage, slugging average, homers, Wins Above Replacement, and blerns. In fact, Ethier's been nearly as bad as the player the idiot writer of that article identified as a good target for the Dodgers: Josh Hamilton.
But being rich isn't all tragedy and heartbreak. Turns out having a bottomless well of cash can also help a floundering team claw its way back into a pennant race.
One of the first major moves the new ownership group made upon taking over was signing Yasiel Puig to a seven-year, $42 million contract. That deal looks like a steal of the highest order now that he's electrifying the baseball world.4243 But at the time, it wasn't nearly as much of a sure thing, with scouts acknowledging Puig's immense natural talent but wondering if he could refine his tools into usable skills against major league competition. Now we've got a player so dominant that it has become cliché to call his hitting obscene … so we'll share a GIF of him scoring from second base on a grounder to first instead. Puig's emergence, combined with Carl Crawford's return to the lineup, theoretically leaves the Dodgers with too many starting outfielders. But it also means they can ease Matt Kemp back slowly after the center fielder aggravated a shoulder injury. If Kemp returns at 100 percent, the Dodgers could then shop Ethier, knowing they could cover a huge chunk of his remaining salary to ensure they get real talent in return.
Having gobs of money also means you can take a chance on a player whose sharply diminished performance — combined with some lollygagging and griping — got his manager fired and alienated teammates. But for all the hype swirling around Puig, Hanley Ramirez has been unconscious in his own right, hitting .410/.450/.750 in the last 32 games. Granted, a .420 BABIP isn't likely to keep going for much longer. But Ramirez has been crushing the ball to all fields, roping line drives and generally looking like the Hanley of old. By absorbing the rest of Ramirez's substantial contract in last summer's deal with Miami, the Dodgers were able to try a buy-low play on a onetime superstar without giving up any top prospects or significant major league contributors. Again, the rewards of wealth.
Speaking of taking advantage of the Marlins' burning desire to shove cash back into their pockets, there's the trade the Dodgers just pulled off for Ricky Nolasco. Just like Baltimore's Feldman deal and the Yankees' potential lineup upgrades, Nolasco doesn't need to be a world-beater to help L.A. His 5-8 record might not reflect it, but Nolasco has had a fine season, posting a 3.51 FIP and a 3.6-to-1 strikeout-to-walk rate while toiling for lowly Miami. The Fish desperately wanted him gone because he was the only player on the roster making more than $3 million this year and because getting nearly half a billion in taxpayer subsidies for a new ballpark wasn't enough to satisfy the team's extremely shrewd owner. So instead of getting a truly promising prospect or two, the Marlins ended up with three young pitchers, two of whom project as cheap and effective relievers at best, with the third wielding a slight chance to become something better. How did the Dodgers land a pitcher who figures to be a major upgrade over weak options like Chris Capuano, without giving up anything they'll actually miss? By absorbing about $5.5 million in remaining Nolasco salary, of course. And what the heck, the Marlins happily threw in an international bonus slot worth nearly $200,000, too, because the Dodgers are likely to actually use that money.
The Dodgers have made big strides since finding themselves 9½ games out on June 22. Heading into this week's series with the first-place Diamondbacks, they're now only 4½ back. Look for them to throw more money at their problems over the next few weeks … and for that plan to quite possibly work.

Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images

22. CHICAGO CUBS
The Cubs made three trades on Tuesday — and if you focus only on the players exchanged, it looks like a mixed bag.
The biggest of the three deals saw Scott Feldman and Steve Clevenger go to Baltimore for Jake Arrieta and Pedro Strop. We covered Feldman's potential impact in the Orioles section, but let's add this: He gave Chicago 15 starts with a 3.46 ERA and solid peripherals, then was used to lure a younger pitcher with some upside, and all it cost the Cubs was half of the one-year, $6 million deal he signed last winter. For a rebuilding team, you can't ask for much more than that. In Arrieta, the Cubs get a 27-year-old right-hander who once carried the label of top prospect and now looks like a decent little gamble. His 3-9 record and 6.20 ERA were ugly as hell last year, but Arrieta struck out three batters for every one he walked in 114⅔ innings, netting him a respectable 4.05 FIP and 3.65 xFIP. Those kinds of numbers as a back-of-the-rotation arm represent his likely upside; if all he does is end up providing useful, cheap relief innings, that'd be a disappointment. Strop is less interesting, a flame-throwing reliever with terrible command who was effective for a few months last season but hasn't shown he can sustain success.
The other two deals offer even less to talk about when it comes to the actual players acquired. Sending Carlos Marmol far away will probably help Dale Sveum's blood pressure, but in getting Matt Guerrier back from the Dodgers, the Cubs simply swapped one sub-replacement-level reliever for another. The only apparent benefit seems to be that they saved a bit of cash, even after sending $2 million to L.A. to cover a chunk of Marmol's salary. Meanwhile, the Cubs shipped pint-size minor league infielder Ronald Torreyes to Houston in exchange for … no players of any kind.
So what's the angle? Money. More specifically: precious bonus-pool money that the Cubs could use for international signings. I'd offer up a long, detailed breakdown of how each dollar of pool money was acquired, what the Cubs planned to do with it, and how Chicago's spending spree could have a lasting impact when it comes to next year's available cash cache, but the Cubs blog Bleacher Nation already did an excellent job of laying everything out. The CliffsNotes version? By adding to their available pool money, the Cubs were able to sign, among others, the top two international prospects on the market. Gleyber Torres gives them a 16-year-old Venezuelan shortstop with major potential. They also pulled down 16-year-old Dominican outfielder Eloy Jimenez, this year's consensus top international prospect.
This is the highest-upside play a team trading merely decent to slightly above-average players can make, given they'd likely get little more than B-level prospects otherwise. The Cubs being a cash cow franchise in a way that, say, the Marlins are not allows them to fortify and hopefully expedite their rebuilding process, even with MLB's stricter new spending rules in place. Matt Garza, Nate Schierholtz, Kevin Gregg, the red-hot Alfonso Soriano, and others could also go soon, as the Cubs wisely go all out in their efforts to beef up their farm system.

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 7/8/2013 11:21:54 PM >

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 118
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/9/2013 2:20:44 AM   
SoMnFan

Whoa.
This happened fast. 
From covergirl to mugshot.
Yikes.
I'm almost afraid to ask about Jennie Finch.  

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 7/9/2013 2:22:08 AM >

Work like a Captain.
    Play like a Pirate.
    Post #: 119
    RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/9/2013 6:39:56 AM   
    sixthwi

quote:

Whoa.
    This happened fast. 
    From covergirl to mugshot.
    Yikes.
    I'm almost afraid to ask about Jennie Finch.  

Don't worry. She's doing just fine.

http://www.jenniefinch.com/index

The generation who would change the world is still looking for its car keys.
      Post #: 120
      RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/9/2013 11:05:58 AM   
      Mr. Ed

Yasiel Puig leads the majors with 44 hits in the past 30 days. Ben Revere is right behind him with 43.

Escape while you can!
      Post #: 121
      RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/9/2013 11:59:02 AM   
      Stacey King

The Tampa Bay Rays are playing winning baseball and have perhaps the league's hottest rookie, but the team still is suffering from one of the worst attendance drops in the big leagues.

Major League Baseball has a curious reason for the league's overall slumping attendance: cold, ugly weather that persisted into spring. However, that doesn't seem to apply to the controlled climate of Tropicana Field.

Here, a 14.6 percent decline in home attendance seems more inexplicable.

The Rays aren't the only team suffering from the turnout blues this season. The average Major League Baseball team is drawing 3.5 percent fewer fans this season, and the mighty New York Yankees have so many superstars out injured that their attendance is down more than 6 percent.

However, the size of the Rays' drop has been striking. Only two teams have suffered bigger attendance declines than the Rays: the woeful Houston Astros (down 15.5 percent) and the Miami Marlins (down a whopping 39 percent).

Vince Gennaro, an author who has written about the economics of baseball, points to at least three reasons for baseball's overall decline this season. First, the league suffered from horrible weather over the spring, and secondly, the Marlins' giant drop in turnout is responsible for a big portion of the league's overall decline.

The third factor is a change in the way many teams are pricing their tickets called dynamic pricing. In the past, teams set their ticket prices ahead of the season and didn't really change them. However, teams have started adjusting ticket prices up or down throughout the season, based on demand for certain games. That's generally causing prices to rise and may be decreasing attendance, Gennaro said.
      Post #: 122
      RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/9/2013 12:48:17 PM   
      twinsfan

What were the Phillies thinking with this Halladay bobblehead?

http://www.kfan.com/pages/KFANBits.html?article=10151932

Keep in mind Halladay throws with his right hand.  The bobblehead is positioned to throw with his right hand.  But they put the glove on his right hand and the ball in his left.  WTF?

Magic Number
      Billy Hamilton 0
      Post #: 123
      RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/9/2013 4:12:07 PM   
      Steve Lentz

quote:

Yasiel Puig leads the majors with 44 hits in the past 30 days. Ben Revere is right behind him with 43.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Post #: 124
      RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 7/9/2013 5:12:16 PM   
      Stacey King

According to ESPN's T.J. Quinn and Mike Fish, Major League Baseball is "expected to suspend [Ryan] Braun and [Alex] Rodriguez, along with as many as 20 players sometime after next week's All-Star break."
      Post #: 125
      Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
      All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
      Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
      Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
      Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
       Post New Thread
       Reply to Message
       Post New Poll
       Submit Vote
       Delete My Own Post
       Delete My Own Thread
       Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode