Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season Page: <<   < prev  39 40 [41] 42 43   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 8/21/2015 11:36:09 AM   
JC2015

I totally disagree

I was screaming at the TV as soon as he dropped back to pass.

Worst of all, you can't throw that pass into the middle of the field at the goal line when the defense is bunched - especially with their mediocre WRs

If you are going to pass roll Wilson out to the right with the tall WR in the back of the end zone so he can either throw it up high or run it in.

TERRIBLE CALL no matter what happened

Lynch just gashed them

Run Lynch up the gut!

Worst call ever
Post #: 1001
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 8/21/2015 11:53:39 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: JC2015

I totally disagree

Worst of all, you can't throw that pass into the middle of the field at the goal line when the defense is bunched - especially with their mediocre WRs

If you are going to pass roll Wilson out to the right with the tall WR in the back of the end zone so he can either throw it up high or run it in.

Lynch just gashed them

Run Lynch up the gut!

Worst call ever

Only because it failed.

I would have run Lynch. I already said he coach got too cute in a critical moment. But if they had scored on the play, the Shehawks would have won the Superbowl, Wilson would have been deemed a hero of epic proportions and the coaches would have been complimented by everyone but JC on their ingenuity and perseverance.

It was only a bad call because they failed. Successful scoreing plays in Superbowl history are never called bad. Because they worked.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1002
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 8/23/2015 6:37:50 PM   
JC2015

quote:

I totally disagree

Lynch just gashed them

Run Lynch up the gut!

Worst call ever

I am going to post this again because apparently you didn't read it the first time

1. No matter the outcome, it was a STUPID decision to pass the ball there and I said it BEFORE the INT

2. It was a very poor play call IF you are going to be stupid and pass. Again, roll Wilson out and drag the big guy across the back.

Only a complete moron would call a slant in that tight quarters with mediocre WRs

Beyond dumb play call

As bad as the knee
Post #: 1003
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 8/23/2015 8:30:58 PM   
David Levine

Just watched "Doug Flutie: A Football Life".

Pretty great hour of TV.
Post #: 1004
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 8/23/2015 11:13:23 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Pretty great hour of TV.

Loved every second of it.
Really admired that little dude. Very well done.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1005
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 8/24/2015 12:11:01 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Pretty great hour of TV.

Loved every second of it.
Really admired that little dude. Very well done.

He just seems like such a good guy too. And not bitter about how many roadblocks were constantly put in front of him. He's really comfortable with his place in history.

Also, unlike most retired athletes, he looks like he could still play at 52.
Post #: 1006
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 8/24/2015 7:32:06 AM   
Black 47

This is out of nowhere, but I just have to vent on one of the most aggravating things I see in the NFL. Defensive players launching themselves like missiles at players ankles and knees. Like the Gronk hit a few years ago, Harrison's hit on Eric Decker, or Peterson's ACL in 2011. I just watched a highlight from the Rams Titans yesterday. Titans TE catches a pass down the sideline. Turned his head just in time to leap and unplant his feet as some cheap bastard came flying in at his knees.

And just as aggravating are the defensive players excuses. "We can't go high so we have to go low". Biggest bunch of bs in the history of football. So your telling me because you can't take a guy's head off, you're forced to take out his knees? They have from the thighs to the shoulders, but they choose to go low. Drives me insane. Can't believe the NFL allows it. All the mambsy pambsy rules they DO enforce, yet they ignore these blatant career threatening cheap shots?
Post #: 1007
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 8/24/2015 8:44:36 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

I totally disagree

Lynch just gashed them

Run Lynch up the gut!

Worst call ever

I am going to post this again because apparently you didn't read it the first time

1. No matter the outcome, it was a STUPID decision to pass the ball there and I said it BEFORE the INT

2. It was a very poor play call IF you are going to be stupid and pass. Again, roll Wilson out and drag the big guy across the back.

Only a complete moron would call a slant in that tight quarters with mediocre WRs

Beyond dumb play call

As bad as the knee

If they had scored, everyone else would have heralded the call as brilliant because it won the superbowl.

ONLY YOU would be in here complaining it was a bad call in that event.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1008
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 8/24/2015 8:44:44 AM   
JC2015

Did you see Suggs hit on Bradford?
Post #: 1009
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 8/24/2015 1:50:31 PM   
El Duderino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

I totally disagree

Lynch just gashed them

Run Lynch up the gut!

Worst call ever

Beyond dumb play call

As bad as the knee

If they had scored, everyone else would have heralded the call as brilliant because it won the superbowl.

ONLY YOU would be in here complaining it was a bad call in that event.

This is still being talked about?

I for one have zero problem with the call. I have three big problems with the execution, though.

1) Jermaine Kearse was supposed to engage the CB lined up across from him (Browner), picking the other CB to create space for the throw. While he engaged his man, he didn't get nearly enough push to disrupt the other CB (Butler). Even so, that didn't cause the play to fail on its own. Also a factor:

2) Ricardo Lockette took his time making his cut. Had he been even a bit snappier about it, he would have had position on Butler, at the very least denying Butler the pick. But even with that being the case, they still could have saved the play;

3) Wilson led his man. If he had read the play a bit better as it unfolded, he could have adjusted to the slow cut by Lockette and thrown to Lockette's body. That would have taken away Butler's angle to make a play, and Lockette would have been in the end zone.

So, three guys all messed up. If any had done their job just a little bit better, we'd be talking about the Seahawks' burgeoning dynasty instead of debating the play call.

< Message edited by El Duderino -- 8/24/2015 2:07:19 PM >

The Dude Abides
Post #: 1010
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 8/24/2015 5:24:26 PM   
DavidAOlson

Interesting take Goodell: he's acting like a dictator, not just in the literal sense, but using the same political moves that a dictator uses to stay in power.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2015/08/24/how-does-the-nfls-roger-goodell-stay-in-power-by-acting-like-a-dictator/

quote:

Political science research suggests that Goodell may be taking a page from the classic autocrat’s playbook about how to stay in power. ...

To explain Goodell’s behavior, think about dictators such as Kim Jong-un of North Korea. They often have to do some unsavory things to get and stay in power. Moreover, these things are often effective — otherwise, why do them? Goodell’s behavior in the Deflategate case is similar. ...

First, a key lesson from the autocrat’s playbook is this: After you take power, eliminate the powerful people who helped get you there. They know your weaknesses and the skeletons in your closet. For Goodell, no one fits that description like Kraft, who owns the Patriots. ...

Second, all leaders (not just autocratic ones) have to pay close attention to what political scientists call their “selectorate,” or the people who keep them in power. Some types of autocrats face very small selectorates, however, meaning it is the approval of just a few people that matters to them.

For Goodell, that’s the owners of NFL teams. And now that Kraft is an opponent, Goodell is even more beholden to a “small handful of influential owners,” potentially including the owners of the Baltimore Ravens, the Indianapolis Colts and the Dallas Cowboys.

What do those teams have in common? A dislike of the Patriots...

Third, autocratic leaders often engage in brazen manipulation of the media to try to shape public perception. ... [Clear.]

Finally, a classic strategy for autocrats worried about “internal” threats (such as a civil war or an insurgency) rather than “external” threats (such as being invaded) is called “coup-proofing.” This is when autocrats deliberately weaken their own military because it makes the military less likely to cause problems for them.

Coup-proofing helps us understand Deflategate as well. The New England Patriots are the most successful NFL franchise of the Goodell era, with Brady one of the greatest players in NFL history. They are yearly Super Bowl contenders in a way that threatens the “Any Given Sunday” parity the NFL prefers. There is almost certainly jealousy and frustration around the NFL because of the Patriots’ sustained success. Cutting them down to size by decreasing their prospects this season (the Brady suspension) and in upcoming seasons (the draft picks) thus serves Goodell’s interest of staying in power.

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 1011
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 8/24/2015 6:26:55 PM   
JC2015

Goodell is so bad he has made Patriot haters like me support BRADY in this BS
Post #: 1012
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 8/24/2015 6:27:19 PM   
JC2015

I actually think Brady and Bill B are great
Post #: 1013
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 8/24/2015 7:58:26 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidAOlson

Interesting take Goodell: he's acting like a dictator, not just in the literal sense, but using the same political moves that a dictator uses to stay in power.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2015/08/24/how-does-the-nfls-roger-goodell-stay-in-power-by-acting-like-a-dictator/

quote:

Political science research suggests that Goodell may be taking a page from the classic autocrat’s playbook about how to stay in power. ...

To explain Goodell’s behavior, think about dictators such as Kim Jong-un of North Korea. They often have to do some unsavory things to get and stay in power. Moreover, these things are often effective — otherwise, why do them? Goodell’s behavior in the Deflategate case is similar. ...

First, a key lesson from the autocrat’s playbook is this: After you take power, eliminate the powerful people who helped get you there. They know your weaknesses and the skeletons in your closet. For Goodell, no one fits that description like Kraft, who owns the Patriots. ...

Second, all leaders (not just autocratic ones) have to pay close attention to what political scientists call their “selectorate,” or the people who keep them in power. Some types of autocrats face very small selectorates, however, meaning it is the approval of just a few people that matters to them.

For Goodell, that’s the owners of NFL teams. And now that Kraft is an opponent, Goodell is even more beholden to a “small handful of influential owners,” potentially including the owners of the Baltimore Ravens, the Indianapolis Colts and the Dallas Cowboys.

What do those teams have in common? A dislike of the Patriots...

Third, autocratic leaders often engage in brazen manipulation of the media to try to shape public perception. ... [Clear.]

Finally, a classic strategy for autocrats worried about “internal” threats (such as a civil war or an insurgency) rather than “external” threats (such as being invaded) is called “coup-proofing.” This is when autocrats deliberately weaken their own military because it makes the military less likely to cause problems for them.

Coup-proofing helps us understand Deflategate as well. The New England Patriots are the most successful NFL franchise of the Goodell era, with Brady one of the greatest players in NFL history. They are yearly Super Bowl contenders in a way that threatens the “Any Given Sunday” parity the NFL prefers. There is almost certainly jealousy and frustration around the NFL because of the Patriots’ sustained success. Cutting them down to size by decreasing their prospects this season (the Brady suspension) and in upcoming seasons (the draft picks) thus serves Goodell’s interest of staying in power.

This reads like somebody HAD to write something, thought "Hey lets compare Goodell to Stalin", and then tried to fit some stuff around the story.
Post #: 1014
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 8/25/2015 9:06:30 PM   
JC2015

We're still weeks away from games that matter, but Michael Bennett's mouth is already in midseason form.

The Seahawks' defensive lineman on Tuesday unfurled a heat-seeking riff on the bulging pay scale for less-than-stellar quarterbacks.

"Quarterback is the only position in the NFL where you could be mediocre and get paid," Bennett told 710 ESPN's "Brock and Salk" program. "At every other position, you can't be mediocre. If I was (Miami's) Ryan Tannehill and the most games I ever won was seven, how could you get a $100 million for that? I guess that's the value of the position.

"And then it's like, you're sitting at home and there's breaking news and it says that Brian Hoyer is the quarterback of the Texans. I'm like, who cares? That's not breaking news. It's really not breaking news."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000516000/article/michael-bennett-rips-mediocre-qbs-who-get-paid
Post #: 1015
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 8/27/2015 4:41:51 AM   
Todd M

quote:

In a lengthy profile in the latest issue of Rolling Stone, Wilson claims the water, which the company he’s working with sells for $3 a bottle, caused his brain to recover from what could have been a serious injury.

“I banged my head during the Packers game in the playoffs, and the next day I was fine,” Wilson said. “It was the water.”

Wilson insists that the Recovery Water “works well,” and that a teammate used the water to heal a knee injury.

quote:

First, he mentioned that his Super Bowl interception was all part of God's plan: "The play happens, I take three steps, and God says to me, 'I'm using you.' My sixth step, God says to me, 'I want to see how you respond, but more importantly I want [the world] to see how you respond.' "

Whack job.
Post #: 1016
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 8/27/2015 5:49:02 AM   
SoMnFan

Been wonderin where they been keepin that stuff .........

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1017
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 8/27/2015 7:29:44 AM   
Duane Sampson

I always wished I had the foresight to come up with selling water.

I should have gathered up a bunch of bottles, sat on a bucket in my garage while filling bottles with my garden hose. Sell the free stuff for 3 clams a bottle to moronic ****s and laugh my ass off.

Maybe I can "bag" some mountain air down by the Mississippi river bank and sell it to schmucks on eBay.
Post #: 1018
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 8/27/2015 9:37:14 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Duane Sampson

I should have gathered up a bunch of bottles, sat on a bucket in my garage while filling bottles with my garden hose. Sell the free stuff for 3 clams a bottle to moronic ****s and laugh my ass off.

Maybe I can "bag" some mountain air down by the Mississippi river bank and sell it to schmucks on eBay.

Just grow your hair into an ear length bowl cut.. trim out a hole for your face in the bangs.. bag up some air and sell it under the brand name

"Sammy OH!Hair's Fresh Air!!"

You could star in the live action version of "The Lorax" with Cousin IT as the lorax..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1019
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 8/27/2015 12:54:43 PM   
Duane Sampson

I think I have found an agent.
Post #: 1020
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 8/28/2015 1:05:24 AM   
SoMnFan

No kidding Sammy.
I'll never forget my Dads amazed reaction, to when bottled water started selling like hotcakes in stores.
It literally amazed him.
He always said the same thing you did ... sure, some are wasting their money with fancy purifying machines and the like... but there had to be a shit-ton of billionaires filling damn-near free plastic bottles, with tap water.
Just flat-out, bat-shit crazy stuff. That caught on, and will never end.
Post #: 1021
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 8/28/2015 7:34:59 AM   
Duane Sampson

We had a garage sale years ago. My dad swept the floor and threw some junk in a box before setting up. Somehow the box got left in with the sale stuff and someone bought it for 3 bucks!
Post #: 1022
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 8/31/2015 9:20:56 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Duane Sampson

The first big bottled water company, Evian, is Naïve spelled backwards...

Post #: 1023
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 8/31/2015 10:13:56 AM   
Todd M

Kirk Cousins named Wash starter...

I hope the guy (RGIII) gets to go somewhere next year and try and build a career. What an absolute joke the franchise is for that move and the way the handled it all.
Post #: 1024
RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season - 8/31/2015 12:55:00 PM   
Jeff Jesser

A lot of this is on Griffin too. Nobody in that locker room likes him.
Post #: 1025
Page:   <<   < prev  39 40 [41] 42 43   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE: Around the NFL (News) - 2013 Season Page: <<   < prev  39 40 [41] 42 43   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode