Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) Page: <<   < prev  65 66 [67] 68 69   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 1/29/2018 8:26:20 AM   
twinsfan

Bemidji rebounded on Saturday to get a vital split at Huntsville. We're on pace to host a playoff series.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1651
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 1/29/2018 8:29:03 AM   
SoMnFan

I'm all in on the Beavers this playoff season.
Sorry.
Post #: 1652
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 1/29/2018 8:29:56 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

I'm all in on the Beavers this playoff season.
Sorry.

I'm sorry too.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1653
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 1/29/2018 8:49:51 PM   
twinsfan

I'm going to the Friday 2/16 game in Bemidji against Alaska! Can't wait! The Sanford Center rocks!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1654
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 2/4/2018 1:36:16 PM   
twinsfan

What a disastrous weekend for the Beavers. Swept by a bad Lake Superior State team on our home ice. Shutout twice. That's just inexcusable!! It will probably cost us home ice in the playoffs.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1655
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 2/4/2018 1:40:30 PM   
twinsfan

Looks like we were robbed of a game-tying goal on a BS review that ruled interference on the goalie. Crap!!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1656
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 2/10/2018 8:22:14 PM   
twinsfan

What a win at Michigan Tech last night! Probably the toughest road trip in the entire league for a MN team. Yeah, Mankato is a tough place to play too, but I will take my chances there. Would be very surprised if we manage a sweep at MT this weekend.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1657
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 2/10/2018 8:47:58 PM   
SoMnFan

When you have a Bitzer, you can win anywhere, any night.
Post #: 1658
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 2/10/2018 9:09:29 PM   
twinsfan

Oh man...BSU was crushed 5-1 tonight. But we outshot them 37-24. Go figure. Obviously not one of Bitzer's shining moments. He was replaced halfway thru the game after allowing 4 goals on 12 shots. That Houghton nightlife can really catch up with ya. At least I hope that's his excuse tonight.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1659
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 2/10/2018 9:12:04 PM   
SoMnFan

Very possible from what I hear
Post #: 1660
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 2/10/2018 9:15:21 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

Very possible from what I hear

Hey! I didn't want to hear that!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1661
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 2/10/2018 9:18:15 PM   
SoMnFan

They're young men, gotta remember that
Post #: 1662
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 2/23/2018 12:48:25 AM   
McMurfy

If I was a hot shot hockey player I’d party hearty.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 1663
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 2/23/2018 1:18:27 PM   
twinsfan

Bemidji has made a nice comeback in the Pairwise. Sure, #27 is not good enough to mean anything, but we were dead and buried earlier this season.

The other 4 Minnesota hockey programs are all in the Top 8 of the Pairwise.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1664
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 2/24/2018 2:11:56 PM   
twinsfan

The number on the back of his jersey pretty much says it all.

In coffee houses and watering holes across the WCHA landscape there is always plenty of topics that are routinely debated when it comes to college hockey. One of the areas that is not subject to debate is this one….Michael Bitzer is the best goaltender the Bemidji State men's hockey program has ever seen. Actually, head coach Tom Serratore will even take it a step further. Bitzer is the best hockey player who has ever come through the program.

"I think he's the best player we've had at the Division One level since I've been here; he's the best player we've had," explained Serratore. "He's been the most impactful player, but a goaltender can do that. He's played in around 140 games and his statistics are off the charts. I think we can honestly say he's the best player we've had."

High praise, but completely justified. And if there is someone who can make that statement, it's him. Now in his 17th season as head coach, Serratore has been behind the Beavers' bench since the 2001-02 season and arrived on scene shortly after BSU moved to Division One. Over that time, the Bemidji State alumnus has coached over 600 games, so when he says Michael Bitzer is the best Division One hockey player who has put on a Bemidji State uniform; the statement does not go unnoticed.

Even though he does his best to avoid the spotlight, Bitzer's play doesn't go unnoticed either. Now a senior and poised for the final stretch run of his college hockey career, when you look at his career numbers it's hard to argue with Serratore's assessment. After arriving on campus to kick off his college hockey career in 2014- fresh off two quality seasons in the USHL playing for the Lincoln Stars- Bitzer knew he was going to get an opportunity to compete for the starting spot. When he looks back on that period of his life now, at the time, that's all he wanted.

"The big thing for me was the excitement and the tradition. Coach Serratore preached tradition and winning. They talked about how important that tradition was and how they wanted to keep that moving forward. That was big. I also wanted an opportunity and I was told I would get one here, it just depended on what I was going to do with it. That was really all I could ask for," recalled Bitzer. "I just wanted an opportunity to play and I also wanted to play somewhere where they took a lot of pride in winning."

"You don't know how high-end the kids are going to get. I knew we had a good goaltender coming in; I watched him play against my son growing up. so I watched him a lot as he played peewee's, bantam's and high school," continued Serratore. "He would always win tight games; he would always win the close ones. He was always the difference. He would make that big save at the right time, so we knew what we were getting. I saw enough of him, so I knew what we were getting, but to what degree, you never know."

If there is one word that has been used time and time again when it comes to summing up Michael Bitzer, it is consistency. Serratore saw that consistency right away. In Bitzer's first collegiate start against North Dakota, the Moorhead, Minn. native had a ho-hum performance; allowing just one goal on 26 shots, propelling the Beavers to a 5-1 road win. Everyone paying attention knew you weren't supposed to beat North Dakota in their barn- especially during the first series of the season! Right from the very beginning, Beaver fans saw that Bitzer was going to be a game-changer who embraced the challenge of performing in big games against big-time teams. From there, after sharing the goaltending duties with then-senior Andrew Walsh through the first part of December, Bitzer officially took the keys to the program on December 12th, 2014 against Northern Michigan. After leading the Beavers to a 4-2 win, Bitzer started the next night….then the next weekend….and the weekend after. By the time he completed his freshman season, the former Frank Brimsek winner (Minnesota senior goalie of the year in 2011-12) had compiled a rookie campaign consisting of a 14-11-3 record and a goals-against average of 1.80. He also finished that year with a save percentage of .929 to go along with four shutouts. For his efforts, Bitzer was named WCHA Rookie of the Year. From a statistical standpoint, one of the most impressive numbers surrounding Bitzer's freshman season might be this; when he played, the Beavers were 14-11-3. When he didn't play, BSU's record that season was 2-6-2.

"I knew that I was going to get an opportunity the first four games that season. My plan was to go in and give our team a chance to win and just take what I could from the older guys and develop every day," stated Bitzer. "I thought if I took care of those things and did things the right way, everything else would take care of itself. Just go in and do the things you are supposed to do day in and day out."

That's the thing about Michael Bitzer; that's what he has always done. If you are looking for an outgoing personality dominated by one-liners and intense slogans, you're not going to get it. He lets his game do the talking….always has and always will. After a dominating freshman season he could have let the surge of success change who he was and the goalie he was striving to be. He could have, but that's not his style.

Instead, he quietly turned one career season into another. As a sophomore, despite finishing with a season record below the .500 mark, Bitzer posted a goals-against average of 2.16 and a save percentage of 91 percent. In addition, over the span of 34 games, Bitzer grabbed six shutouts. Along with being named WCHA Defensive Player of the Week twice, he also excelled away from the ice and was named to the All-WCHA Academic Team. Still, as his résumé grew, Bitzer remained calm. He remained quiet. He remained consistent.

"When your best player is your goaltender, it allows you to sleep a lot better. If you are going to have a tough night; if you are struggling a little bit, he's there and he's going to step up to the plate for you," mentioned Serratore. "Same thing when it comes to your special teams, on our penalty kill, you have him there to bail you out. He's a guy that you really rely on. When you have someone like him, you probably take him for granted a little bit, but you definitely realize how much you are going to miss him when he's gone. He's just so consistent; he's so steady back there. He has been a calming influence for us, that's for sure."

If you had to pick a season to illustrate what Serratore and others are referring to when talking about Bitzer's influence, all you need to do is put the Beavers' 2016-17 season under the microscope. Last season, the stars aligned for Bemidji State and Michael Bitzer was the architect.

Every coach knows that first and foremost, if you are going to hoist the hardware at the end of the year, it starts and ends with goaltending. With that in mind, Bitzer and the Beavers won their first four games of the season by a combined score of 10-2. During that stretch, the then-junior made 84 saves and posted two shutouts. As the season rolled on, so did Bitzer. In 39 games he allowed two-or-less goals in a game 29 times, including four more shutouts. When it was all said and done, Bitzer finished his junior year first in the WCHA (and the nation) in goals-against average (1.71), first in the conference in save percentage (93%) and was named WCHA Player of the Year. In addition, on the national stage, along with being named to the AHCA All-American First Team, he was named a Hobey Baker finalist. More important than all of that was the MacNaughton Cup trophy that the Beavers were able to hoist as WCHA regular season champions.

"Winning the MacNaughton Cup for sure," commented Bitzer, when asked about his greatest college memory to this point in his career. "When we came in we wanted to win a championship and to get a regular season championship; the first in school history, that was a big deal and that was something our guys were really proud of."

That season and throughout his career, whenever Serratore and company have needed a big-time performance, Bitzer has responded. Now in his senior year, Bitzer recently posted his 21st career shutout, which ranks him second all-time in NCAA men's hockey history (and first in the illustrious history of the WCHA Men's League). To date, he has 65 career wins, meaning nearly 1/3 of his career victories have been of the shutout variety. And still, as he continues to silence his opponents one game at a time, the nine-time WCHA Defensive Player of the Week has quietly gone about his business with a consistency that has rarely been seen by anyone wearing a Bemidji State uniform, past or present.

"I can't sit here and pinpoint everything because he's so mentally tough. The difference with a lot of goalies lies in what they have between the ears, and he's so strong when it comes to what he has between the ears. He's been so darn consistent over his four years," mentioned Serratore. "Even a bad goal doesn't shake him up. A goalie gives up a bad goal sometimes and you're like oh boy. I think that actually makes him more determined."

"It's something that my dad always preached growing up and always talked about- having fun with the guys and to enjoy playing the game, but once it's time to play you have to be ready to play and ready to go out there and do your job," explained Bitzer, commenting on the level of focus he's now known for. "I just think that is something my dad has told me my whole life, and that's something I have always applied and learned at a young age to focus on the game when it's time to play.

"I am a pretty quiet guy and to hear people talk about me, sometimes it's a little uncomfortable, but it's also something I have learned to deal with," continued Bitzer. "I just try to do things the way they are supposed to be done and I think people see that. I think people respect guys who play the game that way. I just want to be someone who does those things the right way."

Focus, consistency and respect. The first two categories are attributes that helped Bitzer grow his legacy and the third one- respect; that's what has permanently stamped his mark on the end-boards of rinks across the WCHA. Places like Anchorage, Alaska and Marquette, Michigan; or, Huntsville, Alabama and Fairbanks, Alaska. Over his last four years, Bitzer has been especially good against those four programs and has a winning record against them all. For example, against Northern Michigan, over the last four seasons, Bitzer has gone 9-2-4 and has stopped 95 percent of the shots he's faced. Against Alaska Anchorage, Bitzer has won nine of 10. In those 10 games versus the Seawolves, he's stopped 190 of the 202 shots he faced. Everywhere you go throughout the league, players and coaches alike have witnessed just how good a goalie can be.

"Mike has been able to be consistent over four years. More directly he has been consistent in games. The tougher the game or situation the better he seems to play. It shows his level of focus," replied Matt Thomas, Alaska Anchorage head coach. "You try and disrupt him, take away his eyes; make him uncomfortable. He's been great at fighting through those obstacles and it's showed in his shutout record."

"To be honest, I'm usually not a big numbers guy but our radio announcer has been bringing them up a lot lately. It's pretty cool to look back on things. Like I said, I just try to do the right things every day and keep growing as a player. I think just doing those things and focusing on the right things, those numbers have taken care of themselves," remarked Bitzer. "I think it's focus and preparation. I think in big games, you have to play within your comfort zone and you have to be you. When you prepare the right way I think those things take care of themselves; just being out there not trying to do too much. If you are not prepared, you are going to be pressing in those tough situations. I think the big thing is just preparing myself day and in day out; that allows me to just be me when we get to those crunch times and those games mean a little more."

Now with two games left in the regular season, Bitzer and the Beavers skate into Mankato this weekend for a series with the Mavericks; the number one team in the WCHA and fourth-ranked team in the country. After that it's tournament time and a date with Michigan Tech. As each game passes, the reality that his college career is winding down begins to soak in more and more, but don't expect his approach to change. Currently second in the WCHA in goals-against average (2.15); Bitzer doesn't know how to sweat. Per usual, despite the upcoming challenges, he continues to forge ahead with a quiet confidence in his eyes and ice water in his veins.

"That's a good analogy, it really is," replied Serratore. "It's a tough position to stay consistent and that's why I respect his game so much and why I respect Mike so much. It's tough to be the quarterback; it's tough to be the pitcher. It's difficult- eyes are on you all the time. He's just so mentally tough and I think that's another one of his attributes you can talk about. He has that inner drive and that competiveness that every coach wants and every player wants to have. With him in the nets he gives us a chance to do something special each and every night."

History has shown already, when it comes to Michael Bitzer and the Bemidji State Beavers, something as simple as a chance can lead to so much more.

http://www.wcha.com/men/pres1718/201802/feb23vit.php

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1665
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 2/24/2018 6:23:15 PM   
drew

Great article Matt. I know we're going to miss him next year, but probably more than we know.

SMF did a great job recruiting him to Bemidji for us. Who are you going to send us to fill his shoes?
Post #: 1666
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 2/25/2018 7:48:32 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: drew

Great article Matt. I know we're going to miss him next year, but probably more than we know.

SMF did a great job recruiting him to Bemidji for us. Who are you going to send us to fill his shoes?

I might have one.
Post #: 1667
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 2/28/2018 3:02:25 PM   
drew

We get home ice vs. Michigan Tech. Let's make a run in the postseason boys. The league is definitely better this year, but with Bitzer between the pipes I always feel like we have a shot.
Post #: 1668
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 3/4/2018 2:46:45 PM   
drew

Lights out on this season. Swept at home by MTU. We scored 3 extra attacker goals in the last 2 minutes but still came up short. Pretty disappointing. Beavers will look a lot different next year.
Post #: 1669
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 3/17/2018 8:20:56 AM   
kgdabom

Sorry to all the BSU fans. Come back strong next year. That said how about the SCSU Huskies. Had number one early in the season, let it go and got it back. Won the NCHC (best college hockey conference) regular season and now in the finals of the NCHC tournament. College hockey is so fickle that any team can lose at any time in the NCAA tournament. I am hopeful of success there, but if it doesn't work out this was still an awesome season for SCSU.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1670
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 3/18/2018 8:01:07 AM   
SoMnFan

No Sue, no Gophs?
Will they even play this thing out?
Post #: 1671
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 3/18/2018 11:17:43 AM   
joejitsu

Mn-Duluth, St. Cloud St., and Mn. St. I'm going to be watching a lot of this!
Post #: 1672
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 3/18/2018 12:14:02 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

Would love to see a natty title for any of those
Post #: 1673
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 3/18/2018 1:21:21 PM   
stfrank

quote:

No Sue, no Gophs?
Will they even play this thing out?

Gophers couldn't beat Penn State once in 4 tries, they don't deserve to make the tourney.
Post #: 1674
RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) - 3/18/2018 1:22:49 PM   
stfrank

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

Would love to see a natty title for any of those

Yup, I'd love seeing any of those teams making a run and winning it all at the X.
Post #: 1675
Page:   <<   < prev  65 66 [67] 68 69   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Other college hockey (BSU, UND, SCSU, etc) Page: <<   < prev  65 66 [67] 68 69   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode