Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Baseball Trivia

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Baseball Trivia Page: <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Baseball Trivia - 3/16/2016 2:28:20 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

Most Career Wins Minnesota Twins Uniform??

Frankie Viola

Didn't stick around long enough or he might have been.

Jim Kaat

Jim Perry

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1501
RE: Baseball Trivia - 3/16/2016 2:28:37 PM   
Stacey King

jim kaat?
Post #: 1502
RE: Baseball Trivia - 3/16/2016 2:32:39 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Frankie Viola

Jim Kaat

Jim Perry

Yes Jim Kaat by a pretty large Margin and second winningest pitcher in Franchise history surpassing all Washington Sentators besides Johnson. Came up just short of 200 Career wins. Blylevin, Perry, Viola all over a hundred wins and in the top ten.

Excuse me. It wasn't Kaat. He got some of his franchise wins as a Senator. Recalculating for correct answer.
Also Kaat had 283 total wins but 190 for our franchise.
OK it was Kaat. He wasn't a regular starter for the team until it became the Twins.
LOL he pitched for the Senators 2 seasons accumulating a grand total of 1 win. So 189 wins in a Twins uniform.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 3/16/2016 2:47:42 PM >
Post #: 1503
RE: Baseball Trivia - 3/16/2016 3:13:46 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Frankie Viola

Jim Kaat

Jim Perry

Yes Jim Kaat by a pretty large Margin and second winningest pitcher in Franchise history surpassing all Washington Sentators besides Johnson. Came up just short of 200 Career wins. Blylevin, Perry, Viola all over a hundred wins and in the top ten.

Excuse me. It wasn't Kaat. He got some of his franchise wins as a Senator. Recalculating for correct answer.
OK it was Kaat. He wasn't a regular starter for the team until it became the Twins.
LOL he pitched for the Senators 2 seasons accumulating a grand total of 1 win. So 189 wins in a Twins uniform.

Radke must be in the Top 5.
Post #: 1504
RE: Baseball Trivia - 3/16/2016 3:19:18 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Frankie Viola

Radke fourth with 148 wins just one behind Blylevin in third 149 wins. I would have thought Blylevin would have had a bigger margin over Radke and I would have been wrong.

Jim Kaat

Jim Perry

Post #: 1505
RE: Baseball Trivia - 3/16/2016 3:36:00 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Frankie Viola

Radke fourth with 148 wins just one behind Blylevin in third 149 wins. I would have thought Blylevin would have had a bigger margin over Radke and I would have been wrong.

Jim Kaat

Jim Perry

quote:

kgdabom said: Radke fourth with 148 wins just one behind Blylevin in third 149 wins. I would have thought Blylevin would have had a bigger margin over Radke and I would have been wrong.

Fixed it (sort of...oh well)
Post #: 1506
RE: Baseball Trivia - 3/16/2016 5:14:35 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Frankie Viola

Jim Kaat

Jim Perry

quote:

kgdabom said: Radke fourth with 148 wins just one behind Blylevin in third 149 wins. I would have thought Blylevin would have had a bigger margin over Radke and I would have been wrong.

Thanks I typed in the wrong margins.
Post #: 1507
RE: Baseball Trivia - 3/16/2016 5:21:21 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Frankie Viola

Jim Kaat

Jim Perry

quote:

Thanks I typed in the wrong margins.

I see that.
Post #: 1508
RE: Baseball Trivia - 3/24/2016 3:47:59 PM   
kgdabom

Last 30 game winner in MLB name and year. Also how soon or ever will it happen again?

How did Cy Young win 500 games. That's 17 years of 30 wins a year.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 3/24/2016 3:49:40 PM >
Post #: 1509
RE: Baseball Trivia - 3/24/2016 3:55:33 PM   
sixthwi

quote:

Last 30 game winner in MLB name and year. Also how soon or ever will it happen again?

Denny McClain. Was it in 1968?

The generation who would change the world is still looking for its car keys.
Post #: 1510
RE: Baseball Trivia - 3/24/2016 4:08:44 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: sixthwi

quote:

Denny McClain. Was it in 1968?

Yes it was. That was an incredible year for Pitchers with McLain and Bob Gibson. I believe they raised the pitchers mound that year. It was also the first year I paid any attention to MLB. What about my bonus question.
I predict yes sometime in the next 50 years.
Post #: 1511
RE: Baseball Trivia - 3/24/2016 4:13:59 PM   
TJSweens

No, they lowered the pitchers mound after that year. They were the same height they had always been during the year.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1512
RE: Baseball Trivia - 3/24/2016 4:15:41 PM   
kgdabom

Cy Young's pitching career. 22 seasons 511-316. That's 827 decisions. Rookie year he won 9 games last 4 he won a combined 21. In the 17 year 'prime' of his career he won 481 games. That's an average of over 28 wins per season. These numbers just don't seem real.
Inducted into hall of fame in 1937 but only named on 153/201 ballots. Only 76%. If what he did wasn't long and meritorious I don't know what is. How could anybody leave him off the ballot?

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 3/24/2016 4:21:58 PM >
Post #: 1513
RE: Baseball Trivia - 3/24/2016 4:27:44 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

No, they lowered the pitchers mound after that year. They were the same height they had always been during the year.

That's it. The mound was lowered because pitchers were too dominant. Yastrzemski won the batting title that year with a batting average of 301. The only player in the American league to bat over .300
that year with enough plate appearances to qualify.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 3/24/2016 4:34:24 PM >
Post #: 1514
RE: Baseball Trivia - 3/24/2016 7:11:38 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

That's it. The mound was lowered because pitchers were too dominant. Yastrzemski won the batting title that year with a batting average of 301. The only player in the American league to bat over .300

Yaz was a special player. The year before, he won the Triple Crown with 44 Home runs, 121 RBI and a .326 average. Killebrew matched him in HR. He came up 1 vote short of being a unanimous MVP. Long time Twin fans might remember who got the other vote?

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 1515
RE: Baseball Trivia - 3/24/2016 7:12:41 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

Yaz was a special player. The year before, he won the Triple Crown with 44 Home runs, 121 RBI and a .326 average. Killebrew matched him in HR. He came up 1 vote short of being a unanimous MVP. Long time Twin fans might remember who got the other vote?

Either Tony O or Bob Allison?
Post #: 1516
RE: Baseball Trivia - 3/24/2016 7:33:27 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Either Tony O or Bob Allison?

No

Post #: 1517
RE: Baseball Trivia - 3/24/2016 7:38:26 PM   
twinsfan

I looked it up. Surprising answer. Especially considering he finished 7th in the overall AL MVP voting.
Post #: 1518
RE: Baseball Trivia - 3/24/2016 7:59:12 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

I looked it up. Surprising answer. Especially considering he finished 7th in the overall AL MVP voting.

I expected a better effort from you.

Post #: 1519
RE: Baseball Trivia - 3/24/2016 8:04:40 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

I expected a better effort from you.

Zoilo Versailes? Just a wild guess off the top of my head. I don't even know if i am spelling the name right or if he was still with the Twins.
Post #: 1520
RE: Baseball Trivia - 3/24/2016 8:47:44 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Amazing that the Red Sox essentially had 2 LF from 1939 to 1983. Ted Williams and Yaz. Except for those 3 years Williams was a fighter pilot in WWII.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1521
RE: Baseball Trivia - 3/24/2016 8:51:28 PM   
kgdabom

This thread has been making me sentimental for when I was living on a farm with our nearest neighbors over two miles away. Honestly watching Harmon, Rod, and Tony helped me escape that loneliness.
So I looked up this Twins Version of Talking Baseball by Terry Cashman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMfpWMvL2jE
Post #: 1522
RE: Baseball Trivia - 3/24/2016 10:05:42 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

This thread has been making me sentimental for when I was living on a farm with our nearest neighbors over two miles away. Honestly watching Harmon, Rod, and Tony helped me escape that loneliness.

Still have that tune on my IPOD.

Post #: 1523
RE: Baseball Trivia - 3/24/2016 10:37:38 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

Still have that tune on my IPOD.

Me too.

And the original.
Post #: 1524
RE: Baseball Trivia - 3/24/2016 10:42:00 PM   
twinsfan

If you can find Cashman's song Ichiro, take a listen. It rocks!!

< Message edited by twinsfan -- 3/24/2016 10:43:02 PM >
Post #: 1525
Page:   <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Baseball Trivia Page: <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode