Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Former Twins News

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Former Twins News Page: <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Former Twins News - 3/21/2016 12:29:01 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

Part of "the Twins Way" at the time was to drive the ball the other way. Gardendink wanted nothing else at the expense of all that. But the point is that Ortiz had to learn that, and it made him a better hitter. once he got to Boston (added some Juice) and they told him to swing away, he was able to go after the best pitches.

So the mother ****er should be kissing the Twins ass.

As much as I had the cookie cutter approach that Gardenstupid employed...it did help Ortiz career.

Nobody hated Gardenweasel with more of a burning white hot passion than I did (I'm the only one who can claim to have had his dog crap on Gardy's lawn), but swinging the other way at the cost of all else is a bit of an overstatement. I do see your greater point however that the emphasis on situational hitting may ultimately have helped discipline Ortiz. I still maintain the big difference was the roids. And SMF is right. Ortiz was a dog when he was here. I remember going to ST, TK had him penciled in as the starting 1B only to have him show up about 30 lbs heavier, all in his gut and unable to field. He sent him down to AAA almost immediately.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 776
RE: Former Twins News - 3/25/2016 12:08:55 PM   
sixthwi

The Astros have released lefty Neal Cotts, the club announced. Cotts was in camp on a minor league deal that contained an opt-out for March 26 if he wasn’t on Houston’s MLB roster

The generation who would change the world is still looking for its car keys.
Post #: 777
RE: Former Twins News - 3/29/2016 6:35:14 AM   
Mr. Ed

The Royals have released a trio of veterans who were in camp on minor league deals, per a club announcement. Pitchers Brian Duensing and Peter Moylan were let go along with infielder Clint Barmes.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 778
RE: Former Twins News - 3/29/2016 3:30:10 PM   
Mr. Ed

Padres righty Philip Humber has decided to retire after learning he wouldn’t make the club, A.J. Cassavell of MLB.com tweets. Now 33, Humber was once the third overall pick in the amateur draft, but never was able to consistently deliver results at the MLB level and will end his career with a 5.31 ERA in 371 innings. He last cracked the majors back in 2013 with the Astros. Of course, Humber also twirled an exceedingly rare perfect game for the White Sox in 2012, giving him quite a notable place in the history books.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 779
RE: Former Twins News - 4/1/2016 3:19:42 PM   
Mr. Ed

#Dbacks will open the year with two catchers -- Welington Castillo and Chris Herrmann.

Duesning, Barmes and Snider all have been re-signed by #Royals to Minor League deals

Escape while you can!
Post #: 780
RE: Former Twins News - 4/1/2016 3:42:14 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

#Dbacks will open the year with two catchers -- Welington Castillo and Chris Herrmann.

Duesning, Barmes and Snider all have been re-signed by #Royals to Minor League deals

I think Omaha will be in Omaha.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 781
RE: Former Twins News - 4/1/2016 6:24:11 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

How conveeeeeeeeeenient
Post #: 782
RE: Former Twins News - 4/1/2016 7:41:22 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

How conveeeeeeeeeenient

You want his autograph?

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 783
RE: Former Twins News - 4/2/2016 11:13:12 AM   
Mr. Ed

Alex Presley has been told he will not make the Brewers’ Opening Day roster, MLBTR has learned. There will now be a 48-hour period in which other teams can decide whether they want to add Presley to their active rosters, and if someone does, the Brewers must allow him to depart or assign him to their own active roster.

Presley hit well in Spring Training while competing for a Brewers outfield job as a non-roster invitee, batting .289/.396/.556 in 53 plate appearances, but the Brewers’ decision indicates that they prefer Keon Broxton and Kirk Nieuwenhuis, with whom he was competing for two available outfield jobs. Presley is a career .259/.299/.393 hitter in parts of six seasons with the Pirates, Twins and Astros. He played briefly for Houston last season, spending most of the year with Triple-A Fresno.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 784
RE: Former Twins News - 4/2/2016 11:15:04 AM   
Mr. Ed

Presly / Tyner Twins have something for those types.

Sorry Matt, Mastro fall under this category as a RH version

< Message edited by Mr. Ed -- 4/2/2016 11:16:38 AM >

Escape while you can!
Post #: 785
RE: Former Twins News - 4/2/2016 11:17:11 AM   
twinsfan

The Braves may lose 115 this season.
Post #: 786
RE: Former Twins News - 4/2/2016 11:17:32 AM   
SoMnFan

The sooner professional sports teams owners learn they can't fret over lost money, the sooner their fans benefit.
Post #: 787
RE: Former Twins News - 4/2/2016 11:17:52 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

You just compared Maestro to Tyner? Nooooooooooooooo!!
Post #: 788
RE: Former Twins News - 4/2/2016 11:32:39 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

You just compared Maestro to Tyner? Nooooooooooooooo!!

A bearded, more muscular, RH version

Escape while you can!
Post #: 789
RE: Former Twins News - 4/4/2016 2:38:15 PM   
Mr. Ed

DSpan has a pair of rbi's in his Giants debut.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 790
RE: Former Twins News - 4/4/2016 2:39:15 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

Gonna take me awhile to pull for him on my third (sometimes second) -favorite team.
Post #: 791
RE: Former Twins News - 4/4/2016 2:40:41 PM   
SoMnFan

I'm REALLY gonna have a hard time pulling for Cueto.
Post #: 792
RE: Former Twins News - 4/4/2016 2:42:28 PM   
SoMnFan

Bumgarner batting 8th.
Pagan ripping it up in the 9 spot
Post #: 793
RE: Former Twins News - 4/4/2016 2:43:10 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

Gonna take me awhile to pull for him on my third (sometimes second) -favorite team.

MadBaum not off to a stellar beginning. Must not have pitched enough in ST.

Up 5-3, but he's give up 2 solo HR's and walked 4 early.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 794
RE: Former Twins News - 4/17/2016 4:01:48 PM   
Mr. Ed

Flori now off the Pirates 40-man roster

Pirates shortstop Pedro Florimon accepted his outright assignment to Triple-A Indianapolis, general manager Neal Huntington said (Twitter link via Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette). The Pirates outrighted Florimon on Wednesday and he had 72 hours to decide whether to accept the assignment or reject it and become a free agent. The defense-first Florimon has hit a career .199/.262/.295 batting line in 717 plate appearances. He batted .245/.315/.367 for Indianapolis last season.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 795
RE: Former Twins News - 4/19/2016 8:17:05 PM   
ewen21

Hicks now down to .067

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure"

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 796
RE: Former Twins News - 4/19/2016 8:17:49 PM   
sixthwi

quote:

ORIGINAL: ewen21

Hicks now down to .067

How much longer until he's sent down?

The generation who would change the world is still looking for its car keys.
Post #: 797
RE: Former Twins News - 4/20/2016 5:46:40 AM   
ewen21

quote:

ORIGINAL: sixthwi

quote:

Hicks now down to .067

They are starting to write stories about him already. I was driving last night and happened to hear Girardi's pregame talk.....
He said, "You will see a lot of Hicksie this week" being that they were facing a bunch of lefties. I'd say the heat will be turned up on him real soon.

The Yankees had high hopes for Aaron Hicks when they brought him over from Minnesota in November, expecting him to play on a regular basis — especially when a left-hander started against them.

So far, though, Hicks hasn’t had much time on the field, and when he has gotten time, he has failed to produce.

He came up short in another opportunity in Tuesday’s 3-2, 11-inning loss, going hitless in place of the struggling Jacoby Ellsbury against Oakland southpaw Eric Surkamp.

Hicks made the final out of the game.

It was the first game of the season Ellsbury didn’t start, but he had been struggling and Brett Gardner continues to produce.

ADVERTISING

But since arriving in The Bronx, Hicks hasn’t been an upgrade anywhere.

He now has one hit on the year, a single after coming in as a defensive replacement for Carlos Beltran in the second game of the season.

“When you’re a starter for one team and you come over and don’t play as much with a new team, it’s not an easy role to do — especially when you don’t know when you’re gonna play your next game,” Hicks said before the game. “It’s definitely different.

When you’re playing every day, you tend to be more consistent. You just know you’re gonna be in the lineup every day unless the manager comes up to give you the next day off. Right now, it’s all about being ready.”

That meant hitting early Tuesday, when he tried to keep his lefty swing sharp before taking regular batting practice from both sides of the plate.

Hicks’ lone hit actually came against Houston right-hander Josh Fields.

“I really believe Aaron Hicks is gonna hit and do damage against left-handers,” Girardi said. “So far, he hasn’t had a lot of luck.”

That includes defensively, where he also has been less than impressive.

“I don’t think he has played as well as he is capable of playing,” Girardi said. “It seems he has misjudged the ball. Sometimes it’s hard to pick up the ball in day games with the wind and the way the ball is carrying. He is a good center fielder and he is going to play a good center field.’’

Girardi has insisted Hicks will get plenty of at-bats, something he hopes happens
soon.

Oakland is scheduled to start lefty Rich Hill on Thursday, which means another game for Hicks. And Tampa Bay — the Yankees’ opponent this weekend — has lefties Drew Smyly and Matt Moore in its rotation.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure"

--Thom Jefferson"
Post #: 798
RE: Former Twins News - 4/20/2016 6:05:45 AM   
Black 47

Geez, I've never read an article so full of excuses! And he always misjudged balls here too. Nothing new. If misplays were ruled errors, he'd have has alot of errors last year. And I'll still say his ridiculous put his head down and run straight back to where he thought the ball would be NEVER worked. He always ended up running a circular route to the ball.

DO NOT think he's going to respond well in NY once the boo birds start. And it sounds like it's getting close.
Post #: 799
RE: Former Twins News - 4/20/2016 7:45:01 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: sixthwi

quote:

Hicks now down to .067

They are starting to write stories about him already. I was driving last night and happened to hear Girardi's pregame talk.....
He said, "You will see a lot of Hicksie this week" being that they were facing a bunch of lefties. I'd say the heat will be turned up on him real soon.

The Yankees had high hopes for Aaron Hicks when they brought him over from Minnesota in November, expecting him to play on a regular basis — especially when a left-hander started against them.

So far, though, Hicks hasn’t had much time on the field, and when he has gotten time, he has failed to produce.

He came up short in another opportunity in Tuesday’s 3-2, 11-inning loss, going hitless in place of the struggling Jacoby Ellsbury against Oakland southpaw Eric Surkamp.

Hicks made the final out of the game.

It was the first game of the season Ellsbury didn’t start, but he had been struggling and Brett Gardner continues to produce.

ADVERTISING

But since arriving in The Bronx, Hicks hasn’t been an upgrade anywhere.

He now has one hit on the year, a single after coming in as a defensive replacement for Carlos Beltran in the second game of the season.

“When you’re a starter for one team and you come over and don’t play as much with a new team, it’s not an easy role to do — especially when you don’t know when you’re gonna play your next game,” Hicks said before the game. “It’s definitely different.

When you’re playing every day, you tend to be more consistent. You just know you’re gonna be in the lineup every day unless the manager comes up to give you the next day off. Right now, it’s all about being ready.”

That meant hitting early Tuesday, when he tried to keep his lefty swing sharp before taking regular batting practice from both sides of the plate.

Hicks’ lone hit actually came against Houston right-hander Josh Fields.

“I really believe Aaron Hicks is gonna hit and do damage against left-handers,” Girardi said. “So far, he hasn’t had a lot of luck.”

That includes defensively, where he also has been less than impressive.

“I don’t think he has played as well as he is capable of playing,” Girardi said. “It seems he has misjudged the ball. Sometimes it’s hard to pick up the ball in day games with the wind and the way the ball is carrying. He is a good center fielder and he is going to play a good center field.’’

Girardi has insisted Hicks will get plenty of at-bats, something he hopes happens
soon.

Oakland is scheduled to start lefty Rich Hill on Thursday, which means another game for Hicks. And Tampa Bay — the Yankees’ opponent this weekend — has lefties Drew Smyly and Matt Moore in its rotation.

Yankees got an OF who doesn't produce shit. Twins got a catcher who doesn't produce shit.

Fair trade.

Hicks never was one to handle pressure well. NY was a terrible place for him to go.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 800
Page:   <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: Former Twins News Page: <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode